Lyttelton Times, 15 December 1860, Page 4
The smart ship Harwood, Captain Forsayth, well known in the Auckland trade, but now on her first visit to Canterbury, dropped anchor yesterday afternoon. She left the Downs on September 2nd and passed the Scilly Islands on the 7th. On September 25th, in 11 degrees 27 minutes north latitude, sprung her maintop mast and was delayed several days in consequence; crossed the equator on October 9th; sighted Stewarts Island on December 9th, since when she has had light head winds up the coast. The Harwood brings a number of pheasants male and female, in good condition and without loss, the property of Mr. Keene, a returned colonist.
Dec. 14th. Ship Harwood, 402 tons, W. Forsayth, from London, with cargo.
Mr. and Mrs. James Preston
Mr. and Mrs. Laurence Brown, 5 children, and servant
Misses Newman, Faber, and Sparshott
Messrs. Keene, Carter, Davis, Pollock, Abbott, Richardson, Blay, Forbes, Ingham, Harwood, and Orton
Steerage: T. Howson, R. Bowbyes, wife and daughter, G. Carter, J. Paull, J. Eskett, wife and two children.
Lyttelton Times, 18 May 1859, Page 4
Arrived barque Victory, 579 tons, H. Stephens, from London. The following is the list of passengers by this vessel, as she left London. Chief Cabin— Mr. and Mrs. Hawkes and 2 children, Messrs. William and Laurence Kennaway, Wm. F. Swinbourne, Henry V. May, Henry William Luke, Frederick Strouts, Aug. Moore; Charles J. Shaw, W. Pitt, Mr. Murphy, surgeon.
Second Cabin ~ Mr. and Mrs. Naine, Miss Glanville, Messrs. T.H. Raddon, Herbert Knight, Samuel Saunders, F. Ellaby.
198 in steerage. James Banks and wife
The Rev. Laurence L. BROWN
Lawrence Lawson BROWN b. 4 June 1821, baptized St. Mary's, Marylebone Rd, London married Anne Grey FABER in 1846 in Stockton-on-Tees, Co. Durham. Got his BA from Trinity College, Cambridge in 1844. An Anglican minister. He was the curate Stockton-on-Tees in 1844 and a priest in York in 1845. In 1860 arrived on the 'Harwood". Nov 1861- to Oct. 1862 he was the assistant curate for Lower Heathcoate and Sumner. 1st Jan. 1863 to 1867 cure Otaio-Geraldine.
Thomas Bell HOWSON, farmer, Sedgemere, Southbridge. Mr. Howson, who is
a s/f the late Mr. John Howson, a prosperous farmer at Southwait, England, was
born in the parish of Skelton, Cumberland, England, in March, 1839. At the age
of twenty-one he arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Harwood.” He settled in the
Reginald ORTON, born 22 March 1839 at Villiers Street, Sunderland, County Durham, England. His parents Reginald ORTON, surgeon, and Agnes Caroline, nee BRADLEY. On board the Harwood was Mr James Preston and his wife. James married Miss Ann (Anna) Bradley 7 June 1860 in Onchan, Isle of Man. Anna (nee BRADLEY), was a cousin of Reginald’s deceased mother. Orton purchased land in South Canterbury in 1866. Rural Section 10453, situated in the district of Timaru. Mortgage of the same date, 30D/335, Orton to Rhodes. Same date - £140 paid for Rural Section 10454, 70 acres. Had a large family- eleven children.
Star 11 July 1895, Page 3
One of the oldest settler of Pleasant Point, Mr Reginald Orton, lost his life in the Opihi River on Tuesday evening. After attending the Temuka stock sale he was returning home by the Waitohi Flat Road, and was last seen near the saleyard crossing, just below the Point. Not long afterwards his wet and riderless horse was found on the further side of the river. Constable Stanley and a number of volunteers searched the river for some time in vain. Yesterday morning the search was renewed at daylight, and eventually the body was found in the river about two miles below the crossing. The horse was a young one, and it is surmised that it stumbled in deep water and deceased was washed off before it could recover its footing. Deceased's face was bruised, as it struck by his horse's hoof. Mr Orton was one of the best horsemen in the district, and was well acquainted with the river. He leaves a numerous family.
He attended St. Johns College, Oxford in 1841. Anglican minister. James Preston was the deacon in chare of the Temuka-Geraldine diocese. 22 Feb 178 until March 1892 cure of the pastoral district Geraldine. He drowned in the Rangitata 4 Oct. 1898.
Frederick Strouts had studied architect in London. He arrived
in New Zealand in 1859 on the Victory and set up
business in Christchurch with his future brother-in-law James George Hawkes and
set up business as 'Hawkes and Strouts', General Importers & Ironmongers,
Architects, Surveyors & Land Agents'. Frederick married Charlotte Rosa Lock Sparshott
on 30 April 1861, at the Church of St Michael and All Angels in Christchurch.
The Strouts and his family returned to England, in 1868, where Strouts was elected
an associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Upon his return to
New Zealand Strouts resumed his architectural practice. He became noted for his
houses, which he designed for the elite of Canterbury. His designs include
including the Jacobean 'Ivy Hall' (1878) at the then Lincoln Agricultural
College, the Clock tower, and 'Otahuna' in 1895 for Rhodes. He died in
Christchurch on 18 December 1919 at the age of 85. How did he know Angus
Macdonald? He had a connection with the buildings he designed e.g. mason,
church, church warden etc.
James George Hawkes b. 31 Dec. 1834 in Forbury, Reading, ENG., married Lucy James Sparshott on 2/11/1954 in England. He had previously married in 1852 but guess first wife died. He died at 1884 aged 53. Children of James and Lucy James -
1860 Hawkes Lewis Arthur
1862 Hawkes George MacKenzie
1864 Hawkes Donald Charles
1866 Hawkes Lucy Fanny Hillyard
1868 Hawkes John Septimus
1870 Hawkes Reginald Octavius
1874 Hawkes Charles Nonus
1875 Hawkes Ernest Decimus
1877 Hawkes Mary