Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

John Gorn, Commander

New Zealand Bound

Otago Daily Times 14 August 1865, Page 4
On 31st July, at Taiaroa Heart, Mrs J. Gorn, of daughter.

Thames Star, 1 August 1881, Page 2
LYTTELTON. This day. The ship Waipa arrived from London yesterday. Captain Gorn died during the passage. He leaves a wife and family at Dunedin.

Otago Daily Times 8 April 1886, Page 2
On the 7th April, at her mother's residence, Moray place, Sarah, the beloved daughter of the late Captain Gorn; in her 20th year.

Otago Daily Times 14 May 1872, Page 3
Abusive Language.— Henry Flynn was charged by John Gorn with using language to him calculated to make a breach of the peace. Defendant was bound over to keep the peace for six months — himself in £10, and two sureties of £5 each —and costs.

Otago Witness 11 December 1875, Page 5 Port Chalmers
Tuesday, 30th November. (Before T. A. Mansford, Esq., R.M.) "Not for Joe." — J. Smith, the cuisine " doctor" of the ship Mataura, was charged by her master, Captain Gorn, with wilful disobedience, and refusing to wash up the dinner things used by the crew. Defendant pleaded Not guilty— leastways, he did not think it was part of his duty to wash up. If he had offended, he was very sorry. Captain Gorn deposed to the offence committed. The mate reported the ! cook as drunk on Monday, and very obstreperous; he positively refused to wash up. Witness called him aft, and remonstrated with him, but the man still refused, and vowed he would not play lacquey to the crew. The police were then sent for, and defendant was again interrogated by witness, who did not wish to ! push matters to extremities, the man being so old He however, still refused, and in reply to witness, said "not for Joe." He was then given into custody. It was part of defendant's duty to wash up the things. The defendant, a very old man, had nothing to say in his defence, excepting that he was very sorry, and promised to behave better if the captain would forgive him. Captain Gorn said that he had forgiven him several times during the passage out, when he had been troublesome. He (witness) was sure no master in port treated seamen with greater consideration than he did. The Court said the case had been clearly established. Since there was a disinclination to send so old a man to prison, especially as he had expressed penitence, at the same time the offence could not be entirely overlooked, but would be met by 48 hours' imprisonment with hard labour, and the forfeiture of two days' pay.

Timaru Herald, 30 July 1870, Page 2
July 9 — Wainui, s.s., 87 tons, Gorn, from Oamaru and Dunedin. Passenger — Mr Shepherd.
July 9— Wainui, Gorn, for Lyttelton. Passengers -Mr Kreitmayer. Mr and Mrs McNicol and live children, and two in steerage.
July 23-Wainui, Gorn, for Lyttelton — Passenger Mr Dark.

Otago Daily Times 16 September 1863, Page 4
The ship Mataura, from Glasgow, has been towed up as far as the quarantine station, contiguous to Acheron Head, and has in the meantime been anchored there. On arrival, Mr Monson hailed the vessel from the Customs boat, and was informed by the captain that she had sailed from the Clyde on the 6th of June. She had 360 souls onboard, consisting of 315 passengers, 29 mariners, and 9 officers. Ten deaths occurred during the passage, and six persons are now ill on hoard-hut from non-infectious diseases. There were five births during the passage. The infectious diseases which prevailed on board were small-pox and scarlet; fever. Scarlet fever broke out in June and latter end of August, and manifested itself in eleven cases, four passengers dying of it Small-pox manifested itself in thirteen persons and one, a sailor, died. The last appearance of small-pox was on the 3rd September. Scarlet fever disappeared on the 20th of August; dysentery, which prevailed, disappeared on 20th August
Janet Henderson 11 months.
Christina Stewart, 3 years.
E. Matheson, 22 years.
James Harvey, 20 years.
Frederick McMillan, seaman, 28 years
wm. Brown, 8 months.
Jane Cadizon, 14 months,
Thomas Omand, 22 years.
Wm. Wright, 6 months.
James Paton, 5 weeks.
John McMahon, 2 years. Mr Gorn is the pilot in charge. The members of the Board of Health have been communicated with as to the steps to he taken.

Otago Daily Times 24 March 1862, Page 6
(Before T. A. Mansford, Esq. R.M., and W Thomson, Esq., J.P.) THE DISTURBANCE ON BOARD THE LADY YOUNG. Alonza Merchant, second officer of the ship Young America, was brought up on a charge of having, on Sunday week, unlawfully beaten Alexander Muller, chief officer of the Lady Young, with the intent to deter or hinder him from working or exercising his lawful business or occupation. Merchant having pleaded Not Guilty, Alexander Mullen was examined for the prosecution by Mr Cooke, solicitor, giving, similar evidence to that adduced at the trial of Hall, carpenter of the N Young America, on Thursday last. The only' fact was that the witness, who had been third officer on board the Young America, had left that vessel for the Lady Young in consequence of Merchant's abuse, and his desire to be separated from him. George Morrison, brother of Captain Morrison, of the Lady Young, and John Harrington, seaman, also gave evidence similar to that they had previously given ; and John Gorn, second officer of the ship Chariot of Fame, stated that the accused came on board that vessel about ten days ago, and, in his cabin, said he had an old grievance with Mullen, and was "bound to give him a good hiding wherever he found him," or words to that effect. ,,,The only statement made by the prisoner was that, while on board the Young America, as fellow officer with Mullen, it was. Mullen and not he who was the aggressor ; and, the Bench, having found the charge proven, sentenced him to imprisonment for three months, with hard labor.

Otago Daily Times 27 April 1866, Page 4
An adjourned meeting of the Pilot Board was held in the Harbor Office, Port Chalmers, yesterday, present Capt. Thomson (in the chair) Captains Robertson, M'Kinnon,and Mr Tayler. Mr Taylor presented a statement of accounts, showing that the average earnings of the pilots during the last six months was L24 7s 8 1/2d each, per month. A copy of which was ordered to be sent to the Superintendent, for the purpose of showing that no supplementary aid was at present required out of the L300 voted for that purpose by the Provincial Council when the earnings of the Pilots did not exceed L2O per month. Pilot Gorn was examined in reference to getting the barque Driver on the bank known as the Elbow off Deborah Bay. The pilot made a statement that the wind was light and baffling at the time, and the vessel would not answer her helm. Captain Gumming, of the Driver, stated that the ship was handled to his satisfaction by Pilot Gorn; that she steered generally wild—the wind was puffy and light when she touched on the bank. No other evidence being given, Pilot Gorn was discharged with a caution to be more careful in future.

Timaru Herald, 30 November 1867, Page 2
Accident to the Geelong.— The Geelong was steaming up from Port Chalmers to Dunedin about one o'clock on Sunday morning, when she came into collision with the schooner Annie Brown, which lately arrived from Leith, and was at the time lying in Dunedin Bay. The schooner had no light exhibited, and the morning was so dark that she was not distinguished from the deck of the Geelong until within a few yards of her, although the chief officer and one of the hands were on the look-out forward, and Captain Hart, with Captain Gorn, of the Lady of the Lake, were on the bridge. By the collision, the Geelong was completely stripped of her bulwarks, along the port side, from the bow to the paddle-box. ..The schooner, we believe, was only very slightly damaged. Tenders were called and the repairs speedily executed. The Geelong arrived at Timaru again last night.

West Coast Times 26 November 1866, Page 2
We are informed by Mr Gorn, late chief officer of the Keera, who arrived from the Buller by the s.s. Kennedy, that the late spring tides had considerably affected the position of the Keera, as she had been slued broadside on, and canted with her decks seaward. Through being thus exposed to the heavy surf, her starboard bulwarks and deck-houses were washed away, and other damage effected, as, when our informant left, the water at high tide was two feet above the cabin floor.

Otago Daily Times 12 August 1881, Page 1
Captain J. Gorn, of the ship Waipa, which arrived at Lyttelton a few days ago, died during the passage of the vessel from London. He suffered from lumbago and sciatica. He leaves a wife and family, who reside in Dunedin, and for whom much sympathy will be for Captain Gorn at one time was one of the pilot staff at Otago Heads.