Lyttelton Times, 13 July 1859, Page 4
July 11th, ship Cameo, 785 tons, J. Pole, from London.
Chief Cabin: Mr. W. Price.
Second Cabin : Mr. and Mrs. T. Kay and two children, Mr. , and Mrs. J. Bond, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Tobin and child, Messrs. E. Mallinison, and W. Dunn.
Steerage: E. Redman and wife, W. Palfrey, G. Dell and Harriett Callaway.
Lyttelton Times, 13 July 1859, Page 4
The Cameo, with her living freight, has at last arrived. Her passage has been long, but free from any of those accidents and disagreeable events which stamp so many voyages with melancholy. She is not the finest nor best: appointed vessel which we have seen in our harbour; but the immigrants which she brings, who number about 300 souls of all classes, are a good-looking lot of people. A considerable proportion of the whole have come out at the invitation and no doubt at the part expense of their friends, in the colony. The next vessel on the list, the Mary Anne, was to leave on the 26th April, and should therefore be now nearly 50 days out.
Lyttelton Times, 13 July 1859, Page 4
The Cameo, which was reported as having put into Portland on the 18th March, left on the following day, but did not get clear away from land for two days afterwards. She had a tedious voyage to the south of the line, where she was becalmed nearly three weeks; The latter part of the passage has been rapid; and the passengers affirm that it: has been comparatively agreeable throughout. There has been no illness whatever on board, and the immigrants are landed in excellent spirits. The voyage is reckoned as having occupied 112 days. The births on board were three namely, the wife of Mr. Daniel Pyne of a son, who died shortly afterwards. Mrs. James Eaton of a daughter and Mrs. Thos. Burgin of a son. The deaths were two; namely, the infant mentioned above, and Mr. Chas. Alexander, shepherd, of Forfar, N.B., aged 25, who died of consumption, on the line.
PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IMMIGRANTS PER CAMEO
P. Cook, laborer, and wife
N. Davis, laborer, wife and child
J. W. Thomson, laborer, wife and four children
E. Griffiths, agricultural laborer, wife and child
J. Armstrong, gardener, and wife
J. Kennard, laborer, wife and three children
F. Fletcher, agricultural laborer, and wife
W. C. Pearce, shipwright, wife and two children
D. Pyne, cordwainer, wife and child
W. Hordy, laborer, and wife
J. Sims, bootmaker, wife and six children
J. W. Heath, groom, wife and two children
W. Parks, laborer and wife
R. W. Borwood, gardener, wife and four children
W. Reid, shepherd, wife and five children
J. White, schoolmaster, wife (matron), and seven children
T. J. Hawkins, wheelwright, and wife
J. Webster, agricultural laborer, wife and child
F. Vanstone, sawyer, and wife
J. Eaton, gardener, and wife
W. Stonyer, agricultural laborer, wife and two children
T. Summerton, agricultural laborer, wife and five, children
H. J. Hewstone, agricultural labourer, and wife
H. Young, gardener, wife and child
D. Harrington, laborer, wife and two children
G. Nicholas, agricultural laborer, wife and eight children
T. Burgin, laborer, wife and three children
G. Woolhouse, joiner, wife and three children
R. Savage, agricultural laborer wife and child
J. Knowles, agricultural laborer, and wife
J. Thompson, shepherd, and wife,
J. Phillips, agricultural laborer, wife and five children
J. Goswell, carpenter, wife and two children
W. Hibbert, agricultural labourer, and wife
W. Young, farm servant, and wife
J. Ayres, bricklayer, and wife
T. Snelling, agricultural laborer and wife
A. Hamilton, blacksmith, wife and four children
R. Whyte, mason, wife and child
J. Kershaw, weaver, and wife
G. Attiwell, agricultural labourer, wife and four children
J. Fleming, agricultural labourer, wife and child
J. Crowe, agricultural labourer, wife and child
E. J. Pateman, farmer, wife and child,
C. McIntosh, shepherd, wife and four children
J.E. Duncan, shepherd, wife and child
T. G. Lane, labourer, and wife
W. Knowles, labourer, wife and, child
W. Jackson, farm servant, wife and child
R. Boyd, agricultural labourer, and wife
R. Smith, plumber, and wife
C. King, labourer, wife and four children
A. Walker, shepherd, and wife.
J. Knight, joiner
C. E. Oswald, J. Hamilton; W. Alexander, carpenters
J. J. and T. W. White, clerks; D. F. Davidson, bootmaker
J. Ilsley, tailor
J. G. P. Fluger, baker
T. Hamilton, blacksmith
A. E. Waddle, W. Ross, W. Pennycook
J. Campbell, C. Alexander, T. Bruce, G. Barker, shepherds
S. G. Gannan, sawyer
J. Rennie, J. Younger, G. Kilgour, A. Watson, ploughmen
D. Jones, gardener
T. Hamilton, R. Keay, H. Perrett, T. Shay, T. Park, R. G. and J. Nicholas, D. Mitchel, J. Morrison, T. Clark, J. Parker, G. Lowe, J. Gloyne, D. Thomas, R. H. Matthews, J. Magsen, W. Miller, C. Hill, P. White, J. Stewart, J. Gillespie, R. McKeown, W. Hill, farm servants and labourers
E. F. Gray, nursery governess
Lucy and Ann White, Mary West, Milliners and dressmakers
Sarah Shepherd, M. Louchnier, needlewomen
M. A. Luteman, cook
M. Webster, dairymaid
L. Wade, Agnes, Jessie, and Eliza Reid, E. Griffiths, S. E. Wilkins, R. and H. Nicholas, H. Attiwell, E., S. and M. A. Cook, A. Phillips, E. McCormick, M. Clark, A. Henderson, E. M. Paternoster, L. McKenzie, S. Moulder, M. Owen, domestic servants.
Total adults 132
The Cameo sailed, in ballast, for Callao on September 6th 1859.
Ellesmere Guardian, 29 October 1904, Page 2 Mr GEORGE
We regret to have to chronicle the death in one of the Ellesmere district's oldest identities. We refer to the late Mr George Barker. The deceased was born at Bacton Hall, Suffolk, England, in 1838. He came out to the Colony in the ship Cameo arriving in Lyttelton on 12th July, 1859, after a voyage of four and a half months. After a short residence in Christchurch, he went to Home Bush, thence to Castle Hill, and Cora Lynn. After two years he returned to Christchurch, settling down at Papanui, and bought the property which he resided on until his death. In 1859 when returning from Acton he missed the track. There were no roads in those days, and travellers returning to Christchurch steered their course by the Port Hills. On this occasion the Port Hills were not visible on account of the hazy weather, and deceased found himself at a hut where Homebrook, Southbridge, now stands. The deceased took no prominent part in public affairs. He was an ardent sportsman, a capital-shot, and a successful angler. About two years and five months ago the deceased was stricken with paralysis, and for two years of that time was attended to by Nurse Russell of Christchurch. Miss Longstaff, of Leeston, first nursed the deceased, and during the last month Nurse McFarlane, of Christchurch, had charge of him. The deceased always spoke highly of these ladies, who did much to alleviate his sufferings. The deceased leaves a widow, two sons, and one daughter (Mrs Fraser of Devonport) to mourn his loss. Another daughter, Mrs Frost died three years ago. The funeral of the late Mr Barker took place on Monday, and the body was interred in the Bishop's Corner Cemetery. Rev. W. H. Beck (Leeston) conducted the services at the house and the grave.
Press, 18 March 1901, Page 4
On evening another of the early settlers passed away, Mr William Hibbert who may said to have been identified with the Yaldhurst district. He and his wife arrived in Lyttelton in 1859, in the Cameo, and two years afterwards Mr Hibbert purchased a farm at Yaldhurst being almost the first to take up land in that part, and continued to live there till 1895, when be let the farm and other property he had acquired, and has resided in Christchurch. His early experiences were, varied and amusing among them being one which he entitled him to the honourable distinction of having spent a night in the prison dock, for on arrival in Lyttelton he and his fellow-passengers were unable to find accommodation and were glad to take refuge in the Courthouse, Mr Hibbert and his wife being much envied because they were able to secure the dock for themselves. He leaves a son and three daughters.
Dominion, 9 April 1917, Page 4
Mr. John Magson, who died last week in Rakaia, was born in Yorkshire 81 years ago. He arrived in New Zealand in the old sailing ship Cameo in 1859, landing at Lyttelton. He worked for many years on the backcountry stations of Canterbury. principally Craigeburn. The most interesting part of his career was spent as a roadman on the West Coast road, with his headquarters at Bealey. There he had many-exciting adventures helping travellers over the fords at a time when the road was not nearly so good as it is now. He lived for 21 years in Rakaia.
Colonist, 15 March 1916, Page 2 THE LATE MR. H. D.
The late Mr. Horace Daniel Pine (says the Christchurch Press) was born in Dover, England, in 1856, and arrived at Lyttelton with his parents by the ship Cameo in 1859. He was educated at the St. Albans and Durham street schools, and served his apprenticeship as a printer with the Lyttelton Times Company, with whom he remained for twelve years. Subsequently he had charge of the jobbing department of the "'Telegraph" newspaper office and afterwards of the business of the Union Printing Office. In 1890 Mr. Pine accepted the position of manager of the printing department of the Christchurch Press Company, which position he held up to his retirement a month ago. Always interested m education, he was chairman of the New Brighton School Committee in 1902, and since then had been chairman or the St. Albans School Committee. He was also greatly interested in the works, of the Technical College. As a public man he had been a member of the at Albans Borough Council and the New Brighton Council. He assisted in the establishment of the St. Albans Money Club, of which he was president for several years. He had also been chairman of the Industrial Building Society of Canterbury, and had been on the directorates of several other building societies. He was also one of the original promoters of the New Brighton" Pier Company, of which he was a director at the time of his death. As a Forester he had been a member of the Court Star of Canterbury since 1887. He was chairman of the Canterbury branch of the Association of Master Printers for one year. In church matters Mr. Pine was also interested, having served as warden of the Beach Church. New Brighton, and later as a member of the vestry of St. Matthew's Parish Church. Shortly after his retirement from the Press Company's service, Mr. Pine paid a visit to Nelson to look over some property in which he was interested, in connection with the Apple Lands Company. The late Mr. Pine leaves a widow and grown-up family.
Auckland Star, 27 July 1936, Page 9 [Elizabeth Sims
m. Thomas Edward Clough in 1875]
MRS. ELIZABETH CLOUGH. Another of the fast-disappearing band of old identities, Mrs. Elizabeth Clough, ,who arrived in Sew Zealand in 1859, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. George Collins, Bassett Road, Remuera. She was born in London 85 years ago, and with her parents came to New Zealand in the ship Cameo, arriving at Lyttelton. After remaining in Canterbury for some years Mrs. Clough came to the North Island and was married in Wellington to the late Mr. T. E. Clough, in 1876 (sic - 1875). With her husband, who for years was attached to the Post and Telegraph Department, she lived in a number of country districts, and was well known in Te Awamutu, Waipawa, Te Aroha and Manaia, being regarded by her many friends and neighbours as a woman of sterling worth. Of a kindly and charitable disposition, she was always willing to assist any person in distress. Her husband died three years ago. She is survived by two sons, both of whom volunteered for active service during the Great War, and four daughters, all of whom live in the Dominion.
Press, 22 February 1915, Page 6
Mrs Caroline Stonyer died at Timaru on Friday, at the age of 82 years. She was the wife of Mr William Stonyer, and came to New Zealand in 1859, in the ship Cameo. She first took up her residence at Woodend. North Canterbury, there her husband was engaged in the flour milling business, cutting the timber with which the mill was built out of the bush, latter on they moved to Kaiapoi, when Mr Stonyer purchased the flour mills there, and eventually settled at Pleasant Point, where he bought out the Walton mills. Subsequently the family lived at Pareora for some years where they engaged in farming. The deceased lady leaves five sons, one of whom is Mr. H. Stonyer, of Timaru.
Dominion, 22 November 1915, Page 6
Mr. James Webster, father of Mr. A. P. Webster (who recently left Wellington to become inspector of the Bank of Australasia for the Commonwealth), died at Cust, Canterbury, on Monday. The deceased was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1834, and arrived in Lyttelton in the Cameo in 1859. For sixteen years he was forester on the estate of the late Mt. J. Deans, Riccarton. He settled in the Oust district in 1876, and resided there until his death. He leaves a widow, four sons, and three daughters. Included in the family are Miss Bessie Webster, who for years has been engaged in missionary work in China.
Evening Post, 3 April 1919, Page 9
Mrs. Mary Young who died on 1st April was, an old New Zealand colonist. Landing in Lyttelton by the Barque Cameo on 12th July, 1859, she spent a quarter of a century there. Her husband, Mr. William Young, was lost in the wreck of the s.s. Tararua in 1881.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids