Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports


New Zealand Bound

 The ship Rakaia, one of the New Zealand Shipping Company's fleet, commanded by Captain A. McInnis, dropped anchor off the quarantine station, Lyttelton, on Sunday afternoon, after a voyage of eighty-one days from Gravesend, and seventy from land to land. The saloon passengers on board number nineteen, and the immigrants three hundred and sixty-three.

The following is a transcript from the FamilySearch.  The ship 'Rakaia', W.S.L.N. departed London 16 Nov. 1874 and arrived in Lyttelton, Canterbury, New Zealand 7th Feb. 1875 under the command of Captain McInnes. 81 days out of Plymouth, a fine run.

Press, 8 February 1875, Page 2
Feb. 7 Rakaia, ship. 1025 tons, McInnis, from London. New Zealand Shipping Co, agents. Passengers saloon:
Mr and Mrs Green
Mr and Mrs Bailey
Mr. Mrs, and Miss Brown
Misses Woodworth
Miss Duncan
Mr and Mrs Wilson
Messrs Chamberlain, Somerville, Briggs, Hodges, Mason, and Jones
Mrs McInnis.

RAKAIA -1057 gross tons, length 210.3ft x beam 34ft (64.1m x 10.36m), iron hull, three masted full rigged ship with accommodation for 300 emigrants. Built by J. Bulmer, Sunderland, she was completed in Nov.1873 for the New Zealand Shipping Co. and sailed on her maiden voyage for New Zealand in Feb.1874. Sold in 1893 after 17 round voyages to J.N. Robertus, Barthm Germany and renamed MARIE. 1906 grounded and sank, but refloated. 1911 owned by Crowell & Thurlew, Boston, Mass, reverted to RAKAIA and used on the Barbados trade, registered in Barbados. In 1916 renamed RUTH STARK, same owners. 1918 sold to France, renamed MONTE CARLO. By 1919 she had finally disappeared from Lloyd's Register. 1920 scrapped. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7] See "The sailing ships of the New Zealand Shipping Company, 1873-1900" by Alan Bott.

The first vessel to be built for the New Zealand Shipping Company, she was an iron ship of 1057 tons, built in 1873. She completed nearly 20 voyages for the company before being sold in 1892 to JN Rodbertus of Barth, Germany, and renamed Marie. She sank in 1906, but was refloated, passing five years later into the ownership of Revere Co., , and again named Rakaia.

Thr Rakaia at Dunedin in 1873.
The NZ Shipping Co.'s Rakaia at Port Chalmers. She was there in '76, '88, and 1890. It sure looks like a D.A. De Maus work - Pt. Chalmers ship photographer

Press, 8 February 1875, Page 2 ARRIVAL OF THE RAKAIA.

The Rakaia, ship, was seen from the pilot station about 8.30 am. yesterday morning, and Pilot Wood went alongside and found that there was sickness on board. She was signalled at Lyttelton about 9 a.m. The report spread that she had sickness on board, but Mr March was telegraphed for, and about 2 p.m. the s.s Mullougn proceeded down the harbor to the ship. Pilot Wood came on board the steamer, and brought the doctor's report, from which it appeared that eleven deaths had occurred during the passage, viz—five from bronchitis, two from pneumonia, two from diarrhoea, one from meningitis, and one from peritonitis. During the passage there had been 100 cases of mumps, fifty five of measles, and eight of scarletina, and two cases of the latter were still under treatment. The first case of measles occurred on the 25th November and ended December 16th; and the last case began December 18th and ended January 2nd. The first case of scarletina was on December 4th. and the last on January 22nd, and both are still under treatment. The vessel is eighty-one days out from Plymouth, and she brings 364 passengers. The sickness has been confined to the compartments occupied by the married couples and single women, none having occurred among the single men or the saloon passengers. Captain McInnis took home the Duke of Edinburgh from this port last year, This is the Rakaia's second trip. She left this port on her homeward passage seven months and five days ago. The single men will all be lauded on Quail Island quarantine station, as no disease has occurred amongst them; and the married couples and single girls will be landed at Ripa Island tomorrow. The married couples represent 159 adults. There are 66 single men, and 60 single girls. The following are the names of those who died during the passage —
Eliza Hann, 10 months
William Lemon, 8 months
F. Tanner, 11 months
M. Breen, 12 months
J. Jones, 2 years
M. Sullivan, 8 months
J. Puddle, 1 year
S. Jones, 6 years
E. Thornton, 3 years
A. Brackett, 1 year
H. Chapman, l year

No one was allowed to go on board the vessel, so of course no report can yet be given as to the arrangements for the comfort of the immigrants, &c.; but the doctor was highly spoken of. Ripa Island was visited by the Mullough on the return trip, in order that due warning might be given of the arrival of the immigrants. The place was in excellent order, reflecting great credit on Mr Harris.

The following is the captain's report:—Sailed from Plymouth on November 18th at 2 a.m., the Eddystone light bearing N.N.E., 12 miles off. Had strong W. and SW. winds till the 21st, when the Scilily Islands bore N.E. 31 miles distant. Had fresh N. and N.W. winds to lat 35deg N., and long 22deg W. Thence, light westerly winds for four winds. Crossed 20deg N. lat in long 28deg W. Lost N.E. trades in 5deg 10min N. and 28deg W. Got S.E. trades in 4deg 15min N. Crossed the equator on December 11th in long 30deg 10min W. Got moderate S.E. trades. On December 19th. passed between Trinidad Island and Martin Vass Rocks and on December 30th, sighted Gough's Island. Had light S. and S.E. winds.and kept Gough's Island in sight for two days. From thence to the meridian of the Cape had moderate N.W. and W. winds. The Cape was passed on January 6th in lat 45deg S., long 60deg. E. In lat 51deg 04min S. long 100 E, met with fresh westerly winds, and were carried to 160 E, when a S.E. wind was met, lasting for four days. On February 2nd, sighted S.W. Cape. Tacked off and on for three days was insight of Snares Islands with moderate to strong easterly winds, in company with a large iron ship, painted black, and not unlike the Dallam Tower in appearance. On December 18th, in lat 18deg. 47min S., long 30deg 5min W. spoke the barque Seafield, who reported that she had spoken that morning the Candidate, from London to Otago, all well. (This vessel has arrived in Dunedin.) On December 19th sighted Trinidad Inland, bearing N.W. twelve miles distant; spoke the ship Miltiades from Melbourne for London, forty-seven days out. One birth and eleven deaths took place during the passage. The deaths were principally those of children under twelve months old, but two or three over that age died from measles. Great praise is due to Dr W. G. Ross for his careful attention to the immigrants; he labored under great disadvantages from the number of children that were on board the ship. The Rakaia brings eighteen saloon passengers and 363 third-class and immigrants.

Press, 9 February 1875, Page 2 SHIP RAKAIA
All the families and single women that arrived in ship were landed at Ripa Island yesterday morning, and remain there under the charge of the surgeon superintendent, Dr W. G. Ross. The single men were taken to Quail Island, and placed under the medical superintendence of Mr Parkerson. All the immigrants were landed in the ship's boats, towed by Messrs Cameron's s.s. Mullough. The saloon passengers remain on board the ship. It was ordered at the meeting of the Board of Health that the ship should be thoroughly fumigrated and all baggage opened and aired at once. We are requested to state that the Immigration department will gladly forward any letters or parcels addressed to friends on board, and that any such may be left either at the Immigration office, Christchureh, or the Harbor office, Lyttelton.

Press, 11 February 1875, Page 2
Death at the Quarantine Station. Yesterday morning the signal was made that a child was dead at Ripa Island, and a party proceeded there, and the child's body was taken to Camp Bay and buried. Her name is Beatrice Marshall. Of the other patients Dr Ross reports Wm. Mason is slightly improved; Thos. Hurley is improving. The convalescents are doing well, and the health of the people generally is good.

Press, 12 February 1875, Page 2 IMPORTS.
Per Rakaia — 692 cases, 18 crates, 9 hhds, 53 bales, 209 csks, 1960 sash weights, 1 firkin, 6 runlets. 4 machines, 191 bdls, 16 anvils, 4 bellows, 70 drums, 60 boxes, 178 kegs. 2 wheels, 66 casks, 3000 fire bricks, 73 bdls tubes, 59 pkgs, 2 sheep, 12 kilderkins. Consignees—A. Cardale, N.Z. Shipping Co, J. Anderson, J. Brown, Wilson, Sawtell, and Co; R. Wilkin, C. W. Turner, H. Fuhrman. W. Wright, G. Gould, New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Association, O. G. Parker, R. H. Parish, Jno. Brook, H. Hawkins, Threlkeld and Guild, J. L. Spencer and Co, Robt Forbes, G. Coates and Co, Morrow, Bassett, and Co. Mrs Deans. S. and H. Nashelski and Co, R. W. Fereday, Ballantyne and Co, L. E. Nathan and Co, Ed. Maples, Miles and Co, H. D. Gardiner, J. Grierson, Dalgety, Nichols, and Co; Watt and Co. Robt. Black, G. L. Beath and Co, W. H. Hemming, W. Cudden, W. Strange and Co, E. Reece and Co.

Press, 13 February 1875, Page 2 THE RAKAIA.
Yesterday morning the health-officer, Dr Donald, and Mr Marsh, the Immigration Commissioner, visited the ship Rakaia and Ripa Island. The ship has been thoroughly fumigated, and we hear that the vessel was passed by the health officer. The following is the doctor's report from Ripa Island: —  I have the honor to report that the health of the immigrants generally is good. William Mason is much improved and Thomas Hurley is improving. The convalescents are doing well. (Signed) W. G. Ross." The Board oft Health met yesterday afternoon at 3 p.m., and declared that the ship was in a fit state to be admitted to pratique. The news was immediately communicated to Captain McInnis that the passengers were at liberty to come on shore, and the ship was reported at the Customs.

Press, 15 February 1875, Page 2
Weather calm, blue sky, thermometer 62.
The Rakaia, ship, was brought up to the harbor on Saturday, and anchored abreast of the Gladstone Pier. The s.s. Beautiful Star steamed to Quail Island on Saturday, and took on board 25 of the immigrants (single men), ex Rakaia, for Timaru. She sailed for South at 6.30 p.m. same day.

Timaru Herald, 17 February 1875, Page 3
Twenty-live laboring men, immigrants from the ship Rakaia at Lyttelton, arrived hero by the Beautiful Star on Monday. Owing to the great want of a agricultural laborors in Temuka, all of the twenty-five were forwarded there at once. A number of married couples and single women from the Rakaia are expected to arrive by the next steamer from the north. We learn that all the barracks are empty in the southern district, and that the supply of laborors is not nearly up to the demand. As a proof of the high rate that wages are ruling just now, consequent on the scarcity of labor we may mention that at Temuka £4 a week is being paid to harvest hands, and in Timaru a short while back several men who were unloading timber from boats at 12s a day, struck for 2s an hour.

Press, 16 February 1875, Page 2 Immigrants per Ship Rakaia.
It is announced by advertisement that married couples and single women may be engaged at the Addington depot this day.
    The single men, about fifty, were landed from Quail Island yesterday morning, and may be engaged at the depot, Addington today. The Health Officer and Mr March visited Ripa Island yesterday. The health of the immigrants was good, and there have been no fresh cases. A meeting of the Board Health will-be held at the Government Buildings this morning, and in all probability the immigrants at Ripa Island will be released from quarantine to-day.

Press, 17 February 1875, Page 2
Board of Health,—A meeting of the Central Board of Health was held yesterday t at 10 a.m., at the Superintendent's office. Present—His Honor the Superintendent (in i the chair), Dr. Turnbull, Messrs E. Jollie and M. B. Hart. Mr J. E. March, Superintendent of Quarantine, was also in attendance. The chairman read to the Board the reports of the Health Officer on the state of the ship Rakaia, also the surgeon's report on the same. A certificate was read from Mr J. E. March certifying to the ship having performed quarantine, and recommending that she be admitted to pratique. The reports and certificates were approved. Dr Turnbull suggested that all those persons who had been affected with scarlet fever should be detained on the island for a short time, and that all the clothing should be carefully examined, re-washed, or, if necessary, destroyed. It was resolved that the immigrants be allowed to leave the island except those who had been affected with scarlet fever.

Press, 19 February 1875, Page 2
Sailed. Feb 18— Bruce, s.s. 205 tons, Jones, for Akaroa, Timaru, and Dunedin. Miles and Co, agents. Passengers—cabin: Messrs Kerr, Ross, Cotais, Barrie, Snedden, Wreford, Co, Austin, Rogers, Butter, Michcgan, Marshall, White, Grouvird, Alloway, Merry, and Master Coy. Steerage—Immigrants ex Rakaia: For Akaroa, 6½; for Timaru, 71; for Dunedin, 4; total, 81½.

Timaru Herald, 19 February 1875, Page 3
Sixteen families, representing fifty adults, and twenty single women, all being immigrants from the ship Rakaia, will arrive at Timaru by the Bruce this morning. An advertisement notifies that immigrants will be open for engagements at Timaru today, and at Waimate to-morrow.

Timaru Herald, 22 February 1875, Page 3
Sixteen families (equal to forty-three adults), six single men and twenty two single women, immigrants from the ship Rakaia, arrived at Timaru by the Bruce on Wednesday morning. The men were principally farm laborers, and the single women were all domestic servants. On the same day six of the single girls were taken to Temuka, and on the following day nine families, four single men and five single women (equal to thirty adults) were taken to Waimate. The immigrants who remain at the Timaru barracks, all went to their friends with the exception of two single girls, who found employment as domestic servants.

Why a white band on the hull of many emigrant vessels?

In the days when the tea clippers sailed to China, and indeed anywhere, there were pirates about and, because of this, some danger for unarmed ships. To ward off potential attacks and to give the impression they could look after themselves, ships were painted with fake gunports and, in some cases were painted to look like ships of a line or naval ships.


William Alexander Ford Furze, he lived most of his life in Lyttelton, then moved to Wanganui where he died. He was aged 21 yrs when he came to N.Z., came from Cornwall.

Evening Post,
29 April 1875, Page 2 WAIMATE. 29th April.
A man named Thomas Davis, an old settler here, was arrested last night, charged with the attempt to poison his wife, and sent to Timaru, a distance of thirty miles to-day, for examination. There is no resident magistrate in the district, and the only Justice of the Peace is at present away.  

Timaru Herald, 16 June 1875, Page 3 Supreme Court
Attempting to murder with poison
Thomas Davis was indicted for having administered poison to his wife, Caroline Davis, with the intention of killing her. Mr C. Perry appeared for prisoner. Prisoner pleaded not guilty. His Honor, Justice Johnson, asked the Crown Solicitor whether it was possible to sustain the charge in the indictment that two drachms of acetate of lead were given with intention to murder, and asked whether it would not, have been proper to have made the charge intention, to commit bodily harm instead of murder. The Crown Solicitor, said that he thought he could prove that the several administrations of poison were given with intention to murder. His Honor intimated that he would have to confine the charge of intention to murder to one of the acts of administering. Caroline Davis (nee Caroline Wheeler), wife of prisoner said that she was twenty two years of age. Prisoners age she believed was forty eight. They were married on the 20th, of March, 1875. Her husband was a carter. They had lived at Waimate since their marriage. Shortly after marriage she became unwell. She had She was unwell for about three weeks. After she got better her husband gave her some medicine that he said was horehound. He said that the medicine was for her appetite. Witness came out from England in the ship Rakaia. The witness previous to leaving London, she was a waitress in a house in St. Paul's Churchyard, She did not know the prisoner was nearer 60 years of age than 48.
Mary Ann Ellen, a married women at Waimate, and sister of prosecutrix. The Crown Solicitor said he had been thinking for some time that it was useless to carry the case any further. The prisoner was discharged. It is preposterous to find a man guilty of attempt to murder on the evidence heard. The case however was most painful one, the more so as the parties concerned had only been married for such a short time.