Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

'Lady Jocelyn'

New Zealand Bound
from London to Otago November 1873

Reference: Family Search browse Otago 1873
Passenger list pdf 206k

English 		147
Scotch 			  7
Irish 			 28
Welsh 			  4
Channel Islands 	  8
French 			  1
Totals souls 		195 

Reference: 'Papers Past' - a NZ National Library website.

Otago Daily Times 4 November 1873, Page 2 AT THE HEADS,
Lady Jocelyn, ship, 2138 tons, Jenkins, from London. Matheson Brothers, agents. Passengers 209 (equal to 160½ statute adults).  The large clipper ship Lady Jocelyn, from London, which has been anxiously looked for during the past week, has at length put in her appearance at the Heads. She will be towed up to-day. Captain Jenkins reports his passage 85 days—seven deaths (children), three births; and three children ailing from dysentery.

Otago Daily Times 5 November 1873, Page 2
The ship Lady Jocelyn still remains outside the Heads. The Geelong proceeded outside yesterday morning to tow her in, but it was blowing hard from the S.W., and the tug was obliged to return without having accomplished her object. The Lady Jocelyn is anchored off Blueskin, five miles N.N E. of the Heads.

Otago Daily Times 11 November 1873, Page 2
Considerable excitement was occasioned at Port Chalmers yesterday morning by the signal for a doctor that was made on board the Lady Jocelyn. Prompt in response, Captain Thomson, the Health Officer, accompanied by Dr O'Donoghue, proceeded to the vessel in the steamer Peninsula, which, as luck would have it, happened to be lying at the old wharf with her steam up. Upon boarding the Jocelyn, the doctor found that the supposed patient was past needing medical assistance, death having stricken him but a few minutes before the doctor arrived. This of course left nothing to be done but to receive the report of circumstances connected with the case from Captain Jenkins, of the Jocelyn. it was to the effect that on Saturday night at half past eight o'clock. a young man named George Peerless, a steerage passenger was taken with violent pains in his stomach. the captain prescribed for him, gave him emetics and purgatives, as it said the poor fellow was an immoderate eater, and had has a surfeit of the fresh provisions sent on board the ship. Under the captain's treatment, he appeared to improve during Sunday, but on Monday morning between five and six o'clock fell into convulsions, and died before the doctor, who was immediately signalled for could reach him. He had hurt his stomach and chest whilst leaning over the ship's rail. The post mortem examination of the body of George peerless, aged 18 years, of the ship Lady Jocelyn, who died on board the vessel, and I find the cause of death to be a convulsion seizure through tubercular inflammation of the brain. He also had tubercles developed in both lungs and a large quantity of fluid in the pericardium, with a copious deposit of lymph on the valves of the heart. (Signed) Dr. Cole."
The doctor also reported that the infant girl, one of the Barnes family, of whose recovery no hope had been entertain, died at the Quarantine Station at noon yesterday of diphtheria. The little creature was two years of age.

Otago Daily Times 27 November 1873, Page 3
Of the home ships, the Lady Jocelyn arrived on the 3rd inst., with 209 Government immigrants all told. She has suffered untoward delay through disease, in the form of scarlet fever and diphtheria, having appeared amongst the passengers, which necessitated placing the ship in quarantine when she arrived here, and nine deaths, all excepting one, in the case of children, occurred on the way out, and there were seven little ones on the sick list when the ship came in, and these, together with the families they belonged to. aggregating 58 in number, were removed to the Quarantine Station, where every provision for contingencies of the kind has been made, in the form of admirably constructed buildings for resilience and hospital purposes. There the afflicted ones were assiduously attended by their relatives and Dr Cole, the ship's surgeon, and although Death would not be denied, four of the children being smitten by him, it is satisfactory to know that the progress of the disease was stayed, and that of the whole number quarantined, only five, including the Doctor, and exclusive of the dead, now remain at the station, the rest having been from time to time admitted to pratique. Meanwhile, the noble vessel was kept in strict quarantine until the 11th inst.. One of the immigrants named James Peerless died in a fit during the interval, and a few days subsequent-to-that she was removed from the Quarantine ground and-moored in the lower anchorage of Port Chalmers, arid is now being lightered of her cargo. Her great draught over 22ft presented an insuperable obstacle to her finding a berth at the Railway Pier, a circumstance to be regretted, but none the less unavoidable; hence lightering had to be resorted to, very much to the disappointment and annoyance of her Captain and the consignees. It does not, however, entail much loss, if any, on either wide, lightering charges being very reasonable indeed. Discharging the ship progresses apace, but we do not think that she will be clear of cargo before the early part part of December. The Lady Jocelyn made the passage from home in 85 days. The next arrival front the was the May Queen, which did the run out in 89 days, arriving here on the 5th inst. She brought only 5 passengers. After lying for a few days at the Powder Ground, was berthed at the pier is now more than half clear of cargo. The other London ship, the Christian M'Ansland, made a fair passage of 92 days, and only arrived here on the 22nd inst: She will commence discharging some day this week. She also brought but very few passengers 10 all told.

Otago Witness 15 Nov 1873, Pg 16 Shipping Port Chalmers
The good ship Lady Jocelyn was admitted to pratique on Tuesday morning, after being inspected by Captain Thomson, The Health Officer; Mr Colin Allan, Immigration Officer; and Dr O'Donoghue. The three gentlemen, with Mr Monson, of the Customs Department, proceeded on board at an early hour and went through the ship and finding that every soul on board was in perfect health, the word was given and the yellow rag at the main came fluttering to the deck. [more]

Auckland Star, 4 November 1873, Page 2
Port Chalmers This day. The Lady Jocelyn is at the heads, 93 days from London. Seven children died on the voyage, and three children are ailing of dysentery. Three births occurred. She draws 22ft. 6in. water, and will be towed up at to-morrow's flood.

Otago Witness 11 Oct 1873, Pg 16 Coming Immigrants
The following is a summary of the occupations of the immigrants expected per ship Lady Jocelyn, which sailed for Otago on 30th July from London: Labours 16; farm labourers 3; gardeners 3; colliers 7; navies 2; ploughman 1; miners 7; blacksmiths 2; engine-fitters 2; cooper 1; fishermen 2; woolsorter 1; mason 1; tailors 2; butcher 1; brass-founder 1; shoemaker 1; draper 1; schoolmaster 1; baker 1; joiners 3; wheelwrights 3; chairmaker 1; general servants 11; housemaids 7; cook 1. Totals - 73 male adults, 66,female do, 19 male children, 26 female do and 11 infants, or in all, 196 souls, equal to 160½ adults. The nationalities of these are as follows: English 147; Scotch 7; Irish 28; Welsh 4; Channel Islanders 8; French 1.

Otago Witness 15 November 1873, Page 19
On Tuesday the Lady Jocelyn was at last freed, and the detestable yellow flag hauled down. This must have been very gratifying to those who had friends on board, and also to others who had been anxiously awaiting to engage the immigrants. To none, however, could the intelligence have been more welcome than to the passengers themselves. It is pleasing to know that all the immigrants speak in the highest terms of the kind treatment they received from all the officers in charge during the voyage, and they refer particularly to the assiduous attention of Dr Cole to the sick. The immigrants were brought up from the Port on Tuesday, and their luggage was forwarded to Caversham by rail.

Otago Daily Times 17 November 1873, Page 2
The immigrants (about 40 in number) who arrived by the Lady Jocelyn and were forwarded to Invercargill, see to have fallen on their feet. The Southland News of Saturday write regarding them as follows: "The local Immigration Officer, Mr Pearson, met the party on their arrival at Bluff, saw them provided for there, accompanied them up, and conducted them to their temporary lodgings in Esk street. Yesterday the barracks was thrown open to employers, and within an hour or so all who wished for immediate employment obtained it at high rates of wages. The married couples, with families and two single men, remained in the barracks but not for want of employment. All the men could have found work at once, but seeing they could command a job at any time they were in no haste, the married ones preferring to take a day or so to look out for houses for their families before commencing work themselves. The Immigration officer informs us that if a hundred and fifty more had come all could easily have made engagements, and he has on his books now applications for a large number of work people of all classes. The immigrants were much pleased with the the manner of their reception in Southland and some them have already taken advantage of the nominated system to send for their their friends. Building operations are at a stand still, owing to the scarcity of carpenters, whose wages are from 12s to 15s a day.

Otago Daily Times 24 November 1873, Page 2
The Lady Jocelyn is a flash ship and of three decks, of which the spar or upper deck constitutes a superb promenade and lounging place in fine weather. In a former report we alluded to the fact Of the Lady Jocelyn having once been a steamer. She was with two sister ships, the Hydaspes and Star of the South, used as a troopship during the Crimean war, and the subsequent Indian mutiny. She then had only two decks - the main and 'tween decks - but was raised upon afterwards, and converted into what she now is; a first class passenger and cargo carrier. The emigrants she brought out this time were berthed in the upper 'tween deck or as an old fashioned alt would be inclined to term it, the main deck, and had plenty of room a to spare. The lower 'tween deck, or lower deck, was filled with cargo; as also the lower hold, the depth of which, measured amidships, from the combings of the main hatchway, is 16 feet. Such a "swag" of cargo, quite 2000 tons, is not soon discharged, especially under the disadvantages circumstances with which the ship is at present contending, occupying as she does one of the lower anchorage berths of the harbour, and having to discharge into lighters. We were, therefore, surprised, on visiting the vessel on Friday last, to find that the lower deck cargo was nearly half out, whilst the lower hold had been broken into. The cargo that has been discharged turned out in splendid order, and that which was in sight looked as dry and free from damage as it well could be. That the good ship is not likely to find a cargo here is to be regretted, inasmuch as she offers rare advantages to passengers, and would, we have no doubt, have pretty well filled up for the homeward trip. As it is, we believe that she will proceed hence to Melbourne, where she is well known, and will receive the welcome due an esteemed friend.