Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

Arrivals and Departures
during 1851 from New Zealand Ports

Wellington, lithograph by Vincent Brooks, c. 1855.
Wellington Harbour from the Sydney Shipping Gazette, a weekly newspaper

Source: Australian Cooperative Digitisation Project    Place names 
Sydney Shipping Gazette 1843 1844 1845 1846 1850

The Shipping Gazette and Sydney General Trade List
Volume 8, Number 358 (25 January, 1851)
Page 21-24

Wellington Arrivals
Dec. 21 H.MS. Fly, 18 guns, Captain Oliver, from Auckland Islands via Port Victoria.

His Excellency Sir George Grey
Lady Grey
Captain Nugent
Private Secretary, Colonel Bolton R.E.
G. Thomas

Undine, schooner, 21 tons, Champion from Auckland. Passengers - The Bishop of New Zealand, Mr W. St. Hill.
Departures- Dec, 20. Lavinia, barque, 253 tons, McShea, for San Francisco. Passengers - Mr and Mrs Ebden.

Auckland Arrivals
Dec. 18 -Sir Edward Paget, 482 tons, Barclay from London.
21. Dec. Camilla, 210 tons, Chilcott, from San Francisco, in ballast.

Cooper 		Messrs George and Charles
Corless 	John and wife
Cott		Alexander 
Cox 		John
Hancock 	Mr Thomas
McClever 	Mr and Mrs and three children
Moon 		John
Phillipson 	Dr. G.H.
Robinson 	Charles
Turner 		Mrs and three children
White 		Alexander

Dec. 23 -Undaunted, 301 tons, Walker, entered as arrived at Kiapara from Sydney.
Dec. 28 -Daniel Webster, 296 tons, Macfarlane from Sydney
Novelty, 255 tons, Harrison from San Francisco, 29 days [being the most rapid run f any vessel that has returned to NZ or the Australian colonies from California], in ballast. Passengers G. Murray, Esq., Mr and Mrs Badkin and child. Captain's Cain's vessel had sailed for Auckland, with several of our townspeople on board, a fortnight before the Novelty - New Zealander Jan. 1.

Departures -Dec. 21 - John Wesley, 237 tons, Buck, for London.

Passengers -
Lawry 			Rev. W.
Maunsel 		two Masters
Perry 			Mr
Taylor 			Mr
Thompson 		Mr (a native)
Williams 		Archd. W. 
Williams 		Mrs and two children

The brigantine Camilla is about to load with timber for Hobart Town, to sail towards the middle of January. captain Cundell deserted her at San Francisco, after she had cleared out for Auckland. Her agent there put Captain Chilott in command, who has brought her on to this port. The owners here, Messrs Gardiner and Stone, have appointed to the command of her Mr Richard Burt, late mate of the Arabia.

Volume e008, Number 358 (1 February, 1851) Page 29-31
The Fancy was last from the Auckland Islands, having left the latter port on the 16th January. The schooner  Black Dog had arrived, and was being fitted u as a whaler and would hail from the Auckland Islands.

Volume 8, Number 359 (8 February, 1851) Page 41-44
The following vessels were lying at Port Lyttelton on the departure of the Sir George Seymour:
Oriental and Lady Clark, had both arrived with cattle;
the Comet, schooner
and the Cressy, bound to Ceylon. Sailed for India Jan. 17th.

The ships Duncan and Sir Edward Parry, belonging to the Southern Whale Fishery Company, were to sail from London for the Auckland Islands in October.

Volume 8, Number 361 (22 February, 1851)
The barque Santipore, from Otago, off Cape Egmont, New Zealand, passed the bottom of a vessel of about 500 tons. Captain McLean, of the Lady Clark, also passed the same object, but having lowered a boat, containing the chief officer and four semen, they examined the supposed vessel, and discovered it to be three large trees, linked together, and drifting about with the current.

Resident Magistrate's Court, Wellington
On Monday last, on information laid before H. St. Hill, Esq., RM, by Captain Sharp, Boarding Officer of Customs, against Mr J.J. peacock, master of the brig Torrington, for having made an unture report of the cargo of the Torrington at the Custom House, by which he had become liable to a penalty of one hundred pounds. The goods, between seven and eight tons flour, a quantity of gunpowder, shot, unmanufactured tobacco, and other merchandise, was seized by the Customs.

Wellington Arrival - March 30.
Laura, barque, 329 tons, R. Damhill, from Sydney. She put into this harbour on Sunday morning in a leaky condition. The Laura left Sydney on the 22nd February, laden with a cargo of timber, wool &c. and was bound to Liverpool. She had got about 160 miles to the southward of New Zealand, when encountering very heavy weather she sprung a leak, and was compelled to bear up for Port William, Stewart's Island, to inspect the leak. After remaining there a few days, it was thought necessary to take the vessel to Auckland, to have a survey upon her previous to her proceeding on her voyage to England; but meeting with contrary winds it was afterwards thought prudent to come on to this port. On Thursday evening, the 28th ultiomo, she ran on a reef off Cape Farewell, where she remained for about four hours. She struck with such violence that the chief officer, Mr Stevenson, who was on the poop at the time, was pitched head foremost on to the quarterdeck, and received injuries about the head. The wind shifted and she got off. The leak has not increased since the accident (the leak being all in the upper works)
HMS Havannah, 19 guns, Captain Erskine, from Port Victoria.

Departures -
March 31 - Rio Packet, barque, 205 tons, Shifeley, for Manila, in ballast.
April 1 - Isabella Hercus, 618 tons, Houston, for New Plymouth.
2. Jane Dixon, ship, 326 tons, Whittell, from Feejee islands.

Passengers - 
Howden Mr and Mrs, child and servant

HMS Fly,18 guns,Captain Oliver, RN, from Auckland.
Passengers - His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, D. Wakefield, Esq., Attorney =General Colonel Bolton, R.E., C. Cooper Esq., Assist. Private Secretary.

Volume 8, Number 372 (10 May, 1851) Page 133-136
Auckland arrivals: March 20, Cresswell, 547 tons, T. William, from London.

Passengers - 
Currie 		Mr W.
Russell 	Mr and Mrs George
Lemon 		Mr John
Lemon 		Mr Charles
Eilwart 	Mr Edward
Ralph 		Mr Thomas S. (surgeon)
Ralph 		Mrs and three children

April 10 - HMS Fly, Captain Oliver, from Wellington. Passenegrs -His Excellency Sir George Grey, K.C.B., Governor0in-Chief, and suite.

Departures - April 9, William Hyde, 533 tons, Applewhaite, for London. Cargo - spars for the Admiralty.

Applewhaite 	Mrs and child
Clinton 	The Hon. Miss
Kemball 	Dr
Morton 		Miss
Page 		Lieut.
Page 		Mrs
Pitt 		Mrs
Pitt 		Miss
Pitt 		Captain
Pitt 		Susan
Pitt 		Clara
Pitt 		Mr A
Pitt 		Captain
Pitt 		Mrs George and three children

Wreck of the schooner John Whiteley occurred on the morning of Monday, the 31st March, on a reef near the entrance of the harbour of New Plymouth, to which port she was bound. She cleared out of Auckland on the 7th, and sailed from Manakau on the 8th ultimo, touched at Kawkia, where she took on board a quantity of wheat. Captain Lidell kept near shore. The weather was very boisterous, and the night dark. She struck on the Pupitapu reef, and shortly went to pieces. Mrs Liddell, her daughter and Mr Charlton, of Kawhia, were passengers, but their lives, as well as those of the captain and crew were providentially saved.

Volume 8, Number 373 (17 May, 1851) Page 141-144
The Oriental left London on May 1850, under the command of Captain Taylor, but he dying at New Zealand on 31st January, the command devolved on the chief officer, Mr Hyde, who brought the vessel on to Sydney. Richard Wilson, third mate of the Oriental.

Volume 8, Number 374 (26 May, 1851) Page 149-152
Geography of New Zealand

Wellington. The barque Laura discharged her cargo for Liverpool, and a bottomry was required on the ship to enable her to refit and proceed on her voyage.

Whales in Auckland Bay. On Monday morning, some strange visitors were seen in out waters, and one of them was captured by Captain Norris, of the Moa. The 'monster of the deep" was subsequently towed to Mr W.S. Grahame's wharf, where it was cut up in view of the crowds of spectators. It was of the spermaceti species, and measured about forty-two feet in length. It is expected that about fourteen barrels of oil will be obtained from it, and that the proceeds will realise about 120.

Volume 8, Number 377 (14 June, 1851) Page 173-176
Auckland Arrivals:
May 18, Packet 138 tons, Thompson, from Adelaide via Sydney
Colonist, from Newcastle
22. Arabia, 91 tons, Young, from Honolulu.

Carleton 	Hugh , Esq., 
Edenbrough 	A.
Langford 	J.A.
Mackay 		A
Wilson 		W.C. 

23. Sarah, 139 tons, Grant, at Kawau, from Newcastle 7th May, with 142 tons.
The Colonist sailed from Newcastle on the 23rd April, for London, but was obliged to put in here to be examined, having proved leaky at sea. She has been surveyed, and it was found that the leak was in her top sides, and easily repaired. She is undergoing the requisite caulking, sheathing, &c will resume her voyage on Saturday next.

Volume 8, Number 381 (12 July, 1851) Page 197-200
Loss of the Alcmene. She was on her passage from Hobart Town to Hokianga and got becalmed on the West Coast, about thirty miles off shore. The crew found it impossible to claw off the lee shore. The ship was beached. The crew waited for the ebb, still a sacrifice of 12 lives. The spot were the wrecked occurred was at Riprio, near Monganui, about midway between Kaipara and Hokianga heads. The shipwrecked mariners having strolled along the beach encountered the tribe of Ngatiapa, by whom, and their chief Matiu, they were conducted to the village of Okaro, where they experienced every possible kindness and hospitality. Mr Luke, master of the HMS Fly has proceeded to the scene of the disaster.

The Challenger, 816 tons, Captain Withers, from Sydney, 22nd,bound for Port Cooper, put into Wellington. Cargo consisting of 137 horses, 30 head of cattle and 000 sheep, did not sail until the 26th. Considerable mortality has taken place amongst the stock owing to the boisterous weather.
The Havannah and Captain Erskine.

Volume 8, Number 385 (9 August, 1851)
- June 25 - John and Charlotte, brigantine, 93 tons, Lovit, from Wellington.
27 - Sarah Jane, schooner, 17 tons, Campbell, from the East Coast.
July 2 - Eudora, barque, 408 tons, Gourlay, from Melbourne.
3. Agnes and Hannah, schooner, 14 tons, Raymond, from Akalaki.
Raven, brig, 170 tons, Bell, from Melbourne
4. Jane Dixon, 352 tons, Whitwell, from Melbourne.

page 3
June 26 - Wellington, brigantine, 54 tons, Ferguson, for Nelson.
Supply schooner, 170 tons, Hoseason, master, for Sydney.
The was a gale, The Pauline, brigantine, which was riding off the town, dragged her anchors on Wednesday night, and came ashore just opposite the house of Rev. H. Jacobs. She had two anchors down, but all her yards and topmasts aloft.
The Perseverance, which was riding close to her, drove in, but getting her yards down in time, she held on at her anchors a short distance from shore. The long boat of the Duke of Bronte, and a boat belonging to Mr Pollard, which were moored to the jetty, where almost knocked to pieces. The Steadfast, Captain Spencer, arrived Monday with 130 passengers. She sailed from London about three weeks after the Duke of Bronte. Owing to the violence of the weather, her passengers could not be landed until yesterday. Lyttelton Times, June 14. The sever gale on the disastrous night of Friday left the John and Charlotte, Pauline and Salopian, schooners, ashore. the schooner boat Margaret under water, the William and John, cutter, dashed to pieces, and the brig Torrington reduced to a mere wreck, bear fearful witness of the danger attending out gales to vessels lying opposite to the town.

Volume 8, Number 386 (23 August, 1851) Page 241-244
Total wreck of the Maria, barque, 480 tons, Captain Plank and 29 lives lost. The Maria arrived here in March last, from California, where she had taken a cargo of coals, but being unable to sell them at that port, she brought them to this port for disposal. Since that period, she has made two trips from Wellington to Port Lyttelton, having been chartered by Mr Clifford to convey stock to the Canterbury settlement. On Sunday last, the Maria left Port Victoria for Wellington, with a favourable wind, and struck on the rocks off the Karori stream at six o'clock on Wednesday morning. The only two saved to relate the melancholy tale are a young man who was at the wheel at the time the vessel struck, and a Malay. A boat was lowered down into which many jumped, but it was swamped at once and all perished. The Malay and the young man clung to pieces of the wreck, and after being dashed backwards and forwards amongst the rocks for a considerable time, ultimately succeeded in gaining the shore. The natives we believe found them in the course of the day, and treated them most kindly. Mr S. Hill (Sheriff), Mr G. Thomas, Mr William Fitzherbert (Lloyd's Agent), Mr Levin (Agent for the vessel), Mr Lyon, and other gentlemen, returned from the wreck last evening. The nine bodies on the beach have been identified as those of Captain Plank, the 3rd mate, six seamen, and a stockman named Henry Saul, formerly in the employ of C. Clifford, Esq., The bodies have all been laid together and the Sheriff has given orders for their removal to town, for the purpose of holding an inquest, and to give them Christian burial.
    We have, since the foundation of this settlement had many disasters to encounter, but scarcely one ever cast such a gloom over the settlement as the present shipwreck. Other vessels have been lost, but in no case has there ever been such a frightful sacrifice of life. The commander, Captain Plank left behind in England a wife and three children to deplore his untimely fate.
As far back as 1841, the New Zealand Company made an offer to the Government to erect a light-house at an expense of some 15,000, but both the Home and Local Governments threw so many obstacles in the way, as to prevent the Committee carrying out, what at that time they were most anxious to effect. Again, after the shipwrecks of 1841, the necessity of a light house was urged upon the Local Government...

Volume 8, Number 389 (13 September, 1851) Page 261-264
Loss of the Eudora, of 208 tons register, J.R. Gourley, master, left Port Cooper, Canterbury on the 20th July, bound for Sydney. On the 25th she entered Poverty Bay. The wind changed on the 28th and increased to a gale. By non she struck her rudder. The vessel was beached. About midday two chiefs got onboard with the purpose of controuling the natives,, and protecting property. On Tuesday 29th at low water, the Rev. Mr Grace, the missionary stationed at Poverty Bay, came on board, together with that offered by Messrs Simpson and Halbert were of much service in forming arrangements for landing the stores &c. The stores, luggage and everything portable were got onshore, during the next three or four days at low water, the natives insisting on doing all the labour, for which afterwards charged rather exorbitantly. A guard was placed in charge of the stores till the day of sale. There were 46 passengers from the Canterbury Settlement on board, whose lives as well as those of the crew were all saved.

New Zealander, Aug. 20.
By the Mary Paul, which arrived yesterday from the East Coast, the schooner Hero, which left Auckland on the 17th ult. She encountered one of the heavy gales and as she was running for shelter into the Wahi River, Bay of Plenty, on the 6th instant, she struck on a rock at Makatu Point, capsized, filled and went down. All hands on board were drowned. The names of the Europeans are Richard Still, W. Webb (master), and F. Fairweather. Still's body was buried on Matata Beach, and was buried by the Europeans who are engaged on Mr White station there. Mr Armson sailed from Auckland in the Hero, but left her on her way down the coast. The Grampus, another coaster belonging to this port, commanded by George Patten, went ashore about the same time, at Awanui, in the Bay of Plenty, where she became a total wreck. The hands got ashore with great difficulty.

Volume 8, Number 395 (25 October, 1851) Page 301-304
Lyttelton Arrivals -
Sept. 14 - Sir Harry Smith, 408, Raymond from Melbourne with six passengers
15. Wellington, barque, 473, Benny, from Melbourne, with ten passengers.
18. Lady Nugent, ship, 688 tons, parsons, from London.

Sept. 14 - Caciqye, 141, Milne, for Hobart Town.
Bangalore, 876, Morgan, for Wellington
19 - Sir Harry Smith, 408, Raymond, for Melbourne.
Wellington, 473, Benny, for Melbourne
20. Dominion, 583, Darke, for Otago.

Volume 8, Number 396 (1 November, 1851) Page 309-312  page 2 another listing
Auckland arrivals. October 19, Cashmere, ship, 640 tons, Pearson, from Gravesend the 16th June. Arrived Sunday night after a fair passage out of 125 days. She brings 103 passengers, all well, and most of them for this port. Passengers;
Rev. George Bayley, Mrs Bayly and three children, Mr and Mrs Martain and three children, Miss Golsborough, Rev. Thomas Hamer, Miss Hamer, Mrs Hamer and two children, Mr and Mrs Smithers and three children, Mrs Hutchinson, Mr and Mrs Smithers and three children, Mr Moyle, Mr Brodie, Mrs Ely, Mrs Bourke and child, Rev. W.C. Dudley, Mr R. Brown,........

Volume 8, Number 397 (8 November, 1851)
Page 317-320 Arrival of the Cashmere

Volume 8, Number 400 (29 November, 1851) Page 341-344
Lyttelton Arrivals
Sept. 26 - Duke of Portland, ship, 533, Cubitt, from London, the 18th June, with 151 passengers.
Oct. 8 - Midlothian, barque, 414, Gibson, from Gravesend, the 21st June, with 128 passengers.
21. Canterbury, ship, 970, Edwards, from London, with 135 passengers.
Oct. 11. Duke of Portland, ship, 533 tons, Cubitt, for Auckland
12. Lady Nugent, ship, 668 tons, Parsons, for nelson.
As a boat was making for the Lady Nugent on Monday, it capsized, not far from the vessel, and a policemen named Fitzgerald was unfortunately drowned. An old whaler, named Hamilton, has been drowned, having slipped into the river Avon while in a state of intoxication. - Lyttelton Times, Sept. 27.

Volume 8, Number 401 (6 December, 1851) Page 349-352
Auckland Arrivals
Nov. 13 - Maukin, brig, 106 tons, Eames, from Sydney, 2nd Nov.
Isabella, schooner, 99 tons, Ledwell, from Hobart Town the 20th Oct.
17. Cadet, barque, 350 tons, Elliot, from Panama via Tahiti.

Passengers -
Blair 		Mr and son
Donaldson 	Mr James
Lyvet 		Mr Joseph
Kerr 		Captain 
Malcolm 	Mr James
Pusey 		Mr George

Port Wakefield
Arrival: Nov. 2. Florentia, barque, 457 tons, Tindall, from Newcastle, with coals.

Volume 8, Number 402 (13 December, 1851) Page 357-360
Nelson - Arrivals
Nov. 7 - Columbus, barque, 467, Captain Holton, from London, 2nd, and the Cape of Good Hope, the 13th Sept. with general cargo and 32 passengers.
By the Napi, we learn of the arrival of the American whaler Arnold, of New Bedford, at the Bay of Islands, on the 10th inst., with 2000 barrels sperm and 20 barrels black oil. and on the 14th Nov. the Joseph Maxwell, of New Bedford, with 1100 barrels sperm oil. The Napi on her passage also spoke with the Swift of New Bedford, out 27 months, with 1650 barrels sperm oil. - Southern Cross Nov. 25.

By intelligence from Kaipara, we learn that the barque King William, arrived at that river on the 6th inst., from Sydney, to load timber, on proceeding to her anchorage, got aground at Mangawhare, about 30 miles up the river, on the east bank. Every effort is being made to get her off.

Captain Melville, of the ship Lady Nugent, and a boy named Parsons, were drowned by the upsetting of a boat at Nelson, on the 19th ultimo.