VOLUME 6, NUMBER 1, PAGE 3
CREED FAMILY ASSOCIATION
ARE THESE CREED DESCENDANTS?
by Gwen C Quickel
There is simply no direct tie that I can find for sure that ties the Creeds to the Tanners of my direct lineage. There has to be a tie someplace or so many would not have been Creed.
The Southside Virginia (Vol 7, No. 4, Oct 1989) had an interesting article entitled The Thweatt Family by C T Smith, Jr MD. The Haskins that are listed are probably descendants of Martha Tanner (b 1665 Henrico Co VA) and Edward Haskins married Oct 1689.
I would like to hear from anyone who might have information that would link these families to the Creeds.
DESCENDANTS OF MARY MARTIN (THWEATT)
AND RICHARD KIDDER MEADE Husband: Richard Kidder Meade (17840-4 Mar 1832) of "The Grove," Brunswick Co. He was one of two sons of Andrew Meade and Susannah (Stith) Meade.
Wife: Mary Martin Thweatt (James, John, James) (1780-10 Mar 1858).
Married: 10 Feb 1799.
Children: The list of their children was given to Henry J Peet, editor of The Chaumiere Papers, 1883, by their granddaughter India Meade Platt. Brunswick Co marriage bonds and other records have been added to the listing. According to India Platt, her grandparents had 20 children; 12 reached maturity.
Mary Thweatt Meade survived her husband. Her willl, dated 10 Feb 1853, was probated in 1858 in Dinwiddie Co. The will mentions sons John A and Richard K Meade, daughters Amelia Goodwyn, Maria Grammer, Susan Haskins, Harriet Randolph and Marietta Friend, granddaughters Mary Matilda Meade and Mary Bettie Goodwyn.
Mary and R K Meade were buried at "The Grove" in Brunswick.
1. John Andrew Meade (1799-1852) m 1833 Eliza Jane Turnbull.
2. Anna Feild Meade (1801-1825) m 1818 Dr Creed Haskins (M.D. Univ of PA, 1816), physician and politician in Brunswick Co. They has two children:
a. Julia Ann Maria Haskins (untraced).
b. Richard Edward Haskins (1819-1899) M.D. Univ of PA, 1839, married two Thweatt relatives. M #1 Mary Amanda, the daughter of John James and Ann (Weldon) Thweatt in 1839. M #2 named Louisa, daughter of Richard Nobles and Mary (Eppes) Thweatt in 1846. Richard E Haskins' will dated 27 Dec 1893 was probated in Brunswick Co in Jun 1899. The will stipulated that his son Thomas Creed Haskins would not share in the estate since he previously received a legacy from his uncle Dr A. B. Haskins. Grandson Richard E Haskins was devised his gold watch and chain. His estate after the death of his wife Louisa was to be divided between his son Meade, the children of his son Carter, and the children of his deceased son Weldon. His son Meade was executor.
Children of R. E. Haskins and Mary A (Thweatt) Haskins:
(1) Dr Thomas Creed Haskins, b 1843 m 1882 Lulia, the daughter of Rev. Parke Berkeley and Mary Eppes Thweatt, and the niece of his step-mother Louisa.
(2) Dr Carter Haskins, b 1848 m 1876 Eliza Goodwyn Neblett.
(3) Ann Weldon Haskins (1849-1857).
(4) Weldon Haskins, b 1860 m and had children
(5) Meade Haskins (1852-1908), an attorney in Blackstone, m E. M. Gree in Prince Edward in 1868.
3. Richard Kidder Meade, M.D. (1803-1862) m 1825 Julia Edmunds Haskins.
4. Theophilus Meade, M.D. Univ of PA, 1828, m 1832 Susan Edmunds Haskins, sister to Julia.
5. David Everard Meade, M.D. Univ of PA, 1842. Settled in LA. Married Miss Weeks but d.s.p.
6. India Meade died unmarried.
7. Maria E Meade m 1832 The Rev. John Grammar, Antrim Parish, Halifax Co VA.
8. Matilda F Meade m 1836 Richard A Wilkins and d.s.p.
9. Susan F Meade d 1880 m Dr Aaron Haskins, d 1856. They had no children.
In Susan F Haskins' will, dated 2 Dec 1879 and probated in Brunswicnk Co Jun 1880, she mentioned her sisters Amelia M Goodwyn and Harriet Randolph, great niece Maggie Haskins Pannell, great nephew Thomas Creed Haskins and great nephew Edward Goodwyn. Great niece Maggie Pannell was the daughter of Maria M Pannell and Gen Edward Goodwyn (1874-1961) of Emporia, the oldest son of