Grandma Boyett's father, as I have said, was (David) Hiram Allen Creed. Here is what I have found out about him:
1. Born Oct or Nov 1814, Lexington SC. Source: Militia Enrollment List, Thomas Co,
compiled Jan-Feb 1864 (GA Archives).
2. Father: James Creed. Proof:
(a) 1850 Census of Thomas Co GA, p. 002. Household 27
Creed Darlin 30
Sarah 23 (Ann Alderman, b 1826, m 29 Jul 1849 Thomas Co)
James 68 Blacksmith
(b) Deed of Gift to Darlin Creed, Thomas Co, Bock F, p. 690.
See transcript in Sept 1987 Issue.
3. Proof that Allen and Darling Creed were brothers: History of Colquitt County. W. A.
Covington, Reprint 1980, p. 26.
4. 1840 Barnwell Co SC Census, p. 228.
Allen Creed: 1 m 5-10 (missing in 1850 Census); 2 males 20-30; 2 females 0-5; 1
5. 1850 Thomas Co GA Census, 3 Sep 1850, p. 29. Household No. 408
Allen Creed 35 m farmer
Sarah 30 f
Lucretia 12 f
Ellefair 10 f
Anna 6 f
Hiram 4 m
Darlin 1 m (born FL)
6. 1860 Thomas Co GA Census, p. 83 (handwriting)
24 Jun 1860, P.O. Thomasville. Household 679.
Allen Creed 43 m SC
Lucretia 21 m SC
E 18 f SC
Nancy A 17 f SC
Hiram 15 m SC
Darlin 13 m SC
T 11 m SC
David 8 m GA
S T 2 f GA
7. Allen Creed and his brother Darlin voted for secession. In the referendum to select
delegates from Colquitt Co to meet in Milledgeville 16 Jan 1861 to consider "the state of
the Union". History of Colquitt Co pp. 25-6.
8. Jan or Feb 1864, last date Allen Creed known to be living. He appears No. 25 on the
Enrollment of Present Militia Company, District 1212, 7th Senatorial District, Thomas Co.
He there gives his age, as 9 years, 3 months; occupation, blacktmith; place of birth,
Lexington, SC; exempted because "Lost an Eye", owning a rifle in good condition.
9. His mortgaged property was sold 2 Apr 1867. 1 do not know whether he was still living
then or not.
(1) A letter from the wife of a descendant (great grandson) of Darlin Creed states that Daniel,
Jacob, and Paul Creed were Darlin's brothers. They would therefore be brothers of Alen
Creed; but Paul is Daniel's son, not brother.
Ages in 1860 Census:
Allen 43 (but really 45) 1863 Militia
Jacob 35 (d. 27 Aug 1864 In VA. Co H, 50th GA Inf. Confederate Soldiers in
Colquitt Co GA
Paul M J 25
(2) Daniel Creed m. Eliza Hancock 10 Jun 1849. His brother Darlin, a justice of the peace,
performed the ceremony.
(3) 1850 Thomas Co GA Census. Family 26.
Daniel Creed 35 SC
Eliza 26 GA
Paul 13 SC (Pvt, Co H, 50th Reg GA Inf, CSA, Confederate Soldiers p.
Edward 11 SC (1900 Census, age 66, b. SC)
Eli 9 SC (Died 8 May 1862, Macon GA, C. H, 50th Reg. GA Inf,
Confederate Soldiers p. 24)
Hixon 7 m
Morgan 5 m
Louisa 6 mos. GA
Family No. 27 Darlin Creed
1860 Colquitt Co SC Census
Paul M J Creed 25 SC
Sarah 23 GA
Nancy A E 2 GA (Allen Creed also had a daughter, same name.)
Susan C 7/12 GA
Back to Page 37 | Page 48 | Home
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids