REV. P. J. CONNORS
Rev. P. J. Connors, pastor of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church of Woodland, was born in Chicago, Illinois, December 19, 1892, and was a lad of five years when his parents returned with their family to Ireland. There he studied for the priesthood, attending All Hallows College of Dublin, where he was ordained, and entered actively upon the work of the church. In 1919 he again crossed the Atlantic and made his way to Woodland, California. During his residence in this state he has acted as assistant pastor in the Holy Rosary Church of Woodland, also in the Catholic Church at Ferndale, Humboldt county, at Susanville in Lassen county, and at Roseville, in Placer county. In February, 1930, he returned to Woodland, where he has since been in charge of the Holy Rosary Church. This parish is one of the oldest in the valley and was first served as a mission by priests from Sacramento. The parish was organized in the late ‘60s and the Rev. Dominic Spellman became pastor in 1871. He was followed by the Rev. McGinty, in the year 1883 and he in turn was succeeded by Rev. P. Gealy. The present church edifice was erected in 1912 under the direction of Rev. Michael Wallrath, who was then pastor. The debt of this church was paid off in Liberty bonds in 1918 by the Rev. T. W. Horgan, who assumed charge of the church in 1917, continuing his labors here for thirteen years, or until 1930, when he was succeeded by Father Connors. The church has two hundred and fifty families. Father Connors also serves the mission at Knights Landing and at Blocks. He is an active member of the Knights of Columbus.
Transcribed by Joyce Rugeroni.
© 2010 Joyce Rugeroni.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids