T. E. BROWN
T. E. Brown, well known as a progressive business man and as a member of the city council of Woodland, was born in Lookout, Modoc County, California, July 15, 1889, and is a son of Demarcus N. and Margaret (Phillips) Brown. The father is a native of Missouri, while the mother was born in Yolo County, California, and is a representative of one of its pioneer families. D. N. Brown arrived in Yolo County when but five years of age and after attaining adult age took up the occupation of farming. There are three sons in the family, T. E., William LeRoy and Marcus N.
When T. E. Brown was only a year old his parents removed with their family from Modoc to Yolo County, settling on a farm near Knights Landing, and there he pursued his studies until graduated from high school with the class of 1909. Afterward he engaged in farming, making a specialty of grain raising and dairying, and later followed the carpenter’s trade in Modesto and Woodland. Next he entered the contracting business on his own account in Woodland, there giving his attention to the building of residences until 1920. Two years prior to that time he had established a warehouse business and in 1920 he retired from the contracting field. His energies have since been devoted to the management of the warehouse, which he conducts in partnership with Dennis Collins under the style of Brown & Collins, the firm having been organized in 1921. Theirs is the only warehouse in Woodland. In addition to the storage of grain, they buy and sell farm products and have three plants. Success has attended their activities and their patronage is now one of extensive proportions.
Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Ethelinda Bourn, a native of Woodland, and they have three children, Kenneth, Bethel and Robert.
In 1927 Mr. Brown was elected to the city council and is now serving on the committees on finance, streets, sewers and water. He belongs to the Rotary Club and he is not neglectful of his obligations in regard to the moral progress of the community. As a consistent and loyal member of the Methodist Church he served as chairman of its finance and building committee when the new house of worship was erected, and at all times he gives able and earnest support to the work of the church. In a word, his influence is ever on the side of progress, reform and improvement and his worth as a business man and as a citizen is uniformly acknowledged.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: Wooldridge, J.W.Major History of Sacramento Valley California, Vol. 2 Pages 343-344. Pioneer Historical Publishing Co. Chicago 1931.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids