Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

 

WHO’S WHO AMONG

THE WOMEN OF CALIFORNIA

1922

____________

 

 

 

 

PAGE 85

 

W E D N E S D A Y   C L U B

San Diego

OFFICERS

 

Mrs. B. J. O’NEILL, 3526 Seventh……………………........................…..…………………….President

Mrs. Earl Garrettson, 2343 Front……………………........................………………First Vice-President

Mrs. F. S. SHERMAN………………………………........................……………...Second Vice-President

Miss MARY GOSS, 536 Maple…………………........................……………………Recording Secretary

Mrs. WILBERFORCE BLISS, 1435 Meade……….......................……………….Corresponding Secretary

Miss MAUDE M. FAY, 840 Ash………………….......................………………………..……..Treasurer

DIRECTORS

                     Mrs. A. E. HORTON                                                              Mrs. HENRY P. NEWMAN   

                          Mrs. EDGAR PEACOCK                                              Mrs. A. H. SWEET

 

THE  annual report of the Wednesday Club for 1921-22 shows several new features-the

institution of regular fortnightly luncheons addressed by noted visitor local speakers; a

series of public lectures given by the English philosopher and writer, John Cowper Powys;

the lifting of the debt from the club house; and the amending of the by-laws to increase the member-

ship and adapt club development to the development of the community and the times.  The Wed-

nesday Club will be twenty-seven years old in November, 1922 and, as its traditions and aims

are purely cultural, its technical organization is elastic to admit of healthy growth.  With a member-

ship, active, associate and honorary of less than two hundred it has no departments, but a general participation in programs literary, dramatic, musical and social.  Its creed may be said to

deal with the validity of the aesthetic emotions as factors in community development.  The officers elect for the term 1922-23 are: Mrs. Henry P. Newman, president; Mrs. Philip Morse, first vice-president; Mrs. Lorenz Barney, second vice-president; Miss Mary J. Spalding, recording secretary; Mrs. Herbert S. Richards, corresponding secretary; Miss Maud M. Fay, treasurer; and Mrs. Andrew J. Thornton, Mrs. Earl Garrettson, Mrs. Frank M. Grace, Mrs.  Wilberforce Bliss, directors.

The Wednesday Club of San Diego is affiliated with the San Diego County Federation of Women’s Clubs of which Mrs. Blanche Bates is the County Federation president.  On her board are: Mrs.  David A. Frazer, Mrs. E. C. Upp, and Mrs. F. A. Lea, vice-presidents; Mrs. Gertrude Corwin, recording secretary; Mrs. Harold Brucker, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Ada Beach, treasurer;

Mrs. O. J. L. Arsenault, auditor.

Many clubs engaged in various activities are part of this San Diego County Federation including:

“As You Like It, Miss Eleanor R. Patridge; Business and Professional Women’s Club, Mrs. David A. Fraser, president; Chula Vista Woman’s, Mrs. Fred A. Pratt, president; College Women’s Club, Mrs. Warren Libby, president; Daughters of Liberty, Mrs. Lucy Downing, president; East San Diego Women’s Assembly, Mrs. Lillian Ayers, president; East San Diego Woman’s Club, Mrs.  Annie L. Martin, president; El Cajon Woman’s Club, Mrs. A. Weinstock, president; Entre Nous, Mrs. Maude Kirkpatrick, president; Escondido Woman’s Club, Mrs. A. W. Wohlford, president;

Escondido Parent-Teachers Association, Mrs. Roy Whetstone; Fallbrook Woman’s Saturday Afternoon, Mrs. Cora B. McMillan, president; Forward Club, Mrs. William H. West, president;

National City Friday Club, Mrs. S. N. Caceres, president; La Jolla Woman’s Club, Mrs. Josephine Bird, president; La Mesa Woman’s Club, Mrs. E. C. Upp, president; Ladies Mutual Improvement Club, Mrs. Tom C. Williams, president; Lakeside Woman’s Club, Mrs. E. J. Mallory; League of American Pen Women, Mrs. Lydia Fossler Frank, president; The Mothers’ Club of San Diego, Mrs. Hester Springer, president; National Society New England Women’s Colony, Mrs. Lynn Boyd, president; Oceanside Woman’s Club, Mrs. Virginia Hart, president; Olivewood Club, Mrs.  George Thomas, president; Pacific Beach Reading Club, Mrs. C. R. Woodward, president; Poway Woman’s Club, Mrs. K. S. Harlow, president; Ramona Woman’s Club, Mrs. Alice Van Loon, President; San Diego Needlework Guild, Mrs. C. V. Mersereau, president; San Diego Club, Mrs.  O. J. L. Arsenault, president; San Diego Society Arts and Crafts, Mrs. Louise Allen, president;

San Diego Woman’s Press Club, Mrs. Fred Stahel, president; The 1915 Club, Mrs. Ada Beach, President; Sweetwater Woman’s Club, Mrs. Levi C. Kincaid, president; The University Heights Mother’s Club, Mrs. C. A. Shepard, president; The Wednesday Club, Mrs. B. J. O’Neill, president;

Thursday Club, Mrs. Harold Brucker, president; Woman’s Assembly; Woman’s Auxiliary National Federation Post Office Clerks, Mrs. W. C. Place, representative; Woman’s Current Events Club;

Woman’s International Union Label League, Mrs. Lane, president; Oneira Club, Mrs. Theresa Morford, president.

 

PAGE 86

LA JOLLA WOMAN’S CLUB

La Jolla

OFFICERS

Miss ELLEN B. SCRIPPS, La Jolla…………………….......................……………........Honorary President

Mrs. JOSEPHINE S. BIRD, La Jolla…………………………………......................…..…………..President

Mrs. EMMA G. STAHLE, 7938 Ivanhoe………….....................………………………First Vice-President

Mrs. ALICE E. HARPER, Prospect……………….....................…………………....Second Vice-President

Mrs. BYRD PAYNE, La Jolla……………………......................………………………Recording Secretary

Mrs. LOUISE C. BALMER, 921 Coast……………......................………………...Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. MARY L. DAILEY, 1340 Torrey………………......................……………………………...Treasurer

Miss IDA C. LORING, La Jolla…………………….....................……………………………….....Auditor

Mrs. ELEANOR MCG. MILLS, La Jolla……………….....................…………………………….Historian

Mrs. FLORENCE P. MCCARTNEY, La Jolla…………….....................……………………….. Doorkeeper

Miss CATHERINE SMITH, 7828 Girard……………….....................………………….…………Librarian

Dr. MARY B. RITTER, La Jolla…………………………....................………………….. Parliamentarian

Mrs. HELEN W. MASON, La Jolla……………………...................………………....Press Representative

Mrs. RUTH WERT, La Jolla……………………………………....................…………Publicity Chairman 

 

DIRECTORS

 

Miss IDA C. LORING                                Mrs. LOUISE C. BALMER                              Mrs. JOSEPHINE S. BIRD

Mrs. BYRD PAYNE                                   Mrs. JULIA S. RODGERS                                Mrs. ELLA D. CARTER

Mrs. ALICE E. HARPER                          Mrs. MARGARET S. SNYDER                       Mrs. MARY L. DAILEY

                                                             Mrs. EMMA G. STAHLE

 

 

HONORARY MEMBER

Miss ELLEN B. SCRIPPS

 

 

 

THE early chapters in the history of this club are probably almost bromidic in their likeness

to the same chapters in the history of every women’s club which has come into existence in a

small village.  Seven progressive women met weekly, in their various homes, to read current

literature, and to write papers. In 1894 this was called the Current Events Club, which in 1897 joined the County Federation. In 1900 the name was changed to the La Jolla Woman’s Club; in 1901 it joined the Southern District; and in 1902 the State and the National Federations.  Incor-porated in 1914, the La Jolla Woman’s Club had the honor of being the first club in California to join the National Federation.

During these years the club had no permanent home, but in 1913 the cornerstone of the present beautiful and well equipped clubhouse was laid on December third.  On October fifth, 1914, the first meeting was held, the formal presentation of the building to the club being made by the donor, Miss Ellen Browning Scripps.  Dealing from this time, a more elaborate and systematic program of activities has been followed than was possible before the club had its present facilities.  The usual departments which are so great and helpful a part of the life of a woman’s club have enjoyed full measure, including departments of civics, arts and crafts, literature, music and the drama.

La Jolla is unique in that while it is essentially a village, with all that this implies in the number of permanent residents, its natural beauty and delightful climate make it a Mecca for the tourist, The nearness of the Scripps Institute of Biological Research gives easy access to that brilliant colony gathered there, and the many friends who visit them.  All are most generous in their readi-ness to give of their best to the club at it Monday meetings, thus the club has a cosmopolitan membership, and unusually varied programs.  In 1916, the club presented a Shakespearian Pageant, an ambitious production.  In 1917 it gave the play of “Agamemnon,” and in April, 1922, three performances of the Pageant of Esther, under the direction of the Countess de Turczynowitz, were most successful in every way, being given with dignity, beauty and reverence.  These performances are emphasized as being perhaps the most unusual of the Club’s many activities.  The present membership of the club, May, 1922, includes 14 life members, 105 active members, 32 associate members and 36 transient members.

PAGE 87           

HIGHLAND PARK EBELL CLUB

Los Angeles

OFFICERS

 

 

Mrs. WILLIAM RAYMOND MYERS, 311 N. AVENUE 66..............................................................President

Mrs. J.C. GRIBBLE...........................................................................................................First Vice-President

Mrs. GEORGE F. PENNEBAKER, 5000 Echo..............................................................Second Vice-President

Mrs. R. H. ZIMMERMAN................................................................................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. R. C. BEARDSLEY, 301 W. Avenue 63..........................................................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. H. L. STROH, 6028 Hayes......................................................................................................Treasurer

Mrs. ELIZABETH T. HOWELL, 5221 Stratford Road ...........................................................General Curator

DIRECTORS

Mrs. J. C. GRIBBLE                              Mrs. R. H. ZIMMERMAN                            Miss NELLIE M. WHITE

Mrs. E. B. MACHIN                              Mrs. LUELLA A. AVERY                            Mrs. MARY G. OSMOND

Mrs. H. L. STROH                                                                                                     Mrs. HERBERT CARR

          

“To the club—Loyality;

To the Community—Wise Service.”

 

Portrait of  MRS. WILLIAM RAYMOND MYERS

 

THE motto of the Highland Park Ebell Club was well chosen for the members have always been known

for their loyalty to the organization, and their willingness to help in every way anything that tends to

improve conditions in the community.  With that view in mind we co-operate with the Highland Park

Chamber of Commerce, Garvanza Improvement Association, Arroyo Seco Library, and Play Ground Director in all welfare movements. 

Our club was founded eighteen years ago and for ten years has met in its own club house situated at 131 East Avenue 57, Los Angeles.  This year we payed off our indebtedness and burned our mortgage with appropriate ceremony.  With nearly four hundred members we are looking forward to soon enlarging our club house, or building a new one. 

We meet at ten o’clock every Tuesday morning from October first to June first, at which time splendid programs are given by outside talent, or our own gifted members.  Once each month the Public Affairs Chairman has charge of the program, bring something of city or state interest before us.  Six live sections are well attended.  These are Literature, Bible, Art, Travel, Drama and Ramblers.

For several years now we have worked with the Council of Community Service in the splendid work they are doing to help humanity.  Last year we furnished a room in Monte Vista Lodge, a home maintained at Sunland by this organization for the undernourished children of the city and county, made dolls and dresses for the children.  One of our members is treasurer for Monte Vista Lodge, another is a prominent helper in the Thrift shop, while many help in the annual drive for funds, and in the milk campaigns.

(Someone’s signature was inserted here)

PAGE 88

 

Photo of FORWARD CLUB OF LEMON GROVE

FORWARD CLUB OF LEMON GROVE

OFFICERS

Mrs. WILLIAM H. WEST, Lemon Grove..............................................................President

Mrs. A. R. THOMPSON, Lemon Grove..........................................................Vice-President

Mrs. A. V. JESTER, Central..................................................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. J. H. GLENN, Main................................................................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. J. H. WEST, Lemon Grove.............................................................................Treasurer

DIRECTORS

 

                          Mrs. H. C. MCLEAN                                 Mrs. N. E. SKINNER

                          Mrs. ALICE BELL                                     Mrs. J. C. HUBBARD

 

THE Forward Club of Lemon Grove report a very active and successful year.  Commencing

the year 1921-22 with a membership of seventy members and the old club house disposed of by its owner for residential purposes, members of the Forward Club were faced with either disbanding or erecting a building of their own.  The star of enthusiasm and effort was in the ascendancy and the members decided to invite subscriptions for a new building.By subscription and other effort $2650.00 was raised in a few weeks.  The building site was bought at a considerable bargain.  All necessary professional services and other extra labor were donated by members of the community.  The main building of our club house is forty by eighty feet, with side rooms and kitchen equipment in addition.  A conservative estimate of the value of our property is $8500.00.

To pay off our remaining indebtedness we hope to have lectures, concerts, dances, and other entertainments.  We also intend as far as possible to promote the community spirit among members and friends and to provide for our young people entertainment and social pleasure under the efficient supervision of the members of this club.                                                        

 

Page 89

 

TUESDAY CLUB

Sacramento

 

Mrs. Walter Longbotham…………………………………………………..…….President

Mrs. Ralph Skinner……………………………………………………First Vice-President

Mrs. Russell Richardson……………………………………………Second Vice-President

Mrs. George B. Loren………………………………………..……….Recording Secretary

Miss Edith White…………………………………………………Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. A. E. Choolot……………………………………………………………….Treasurer

Mrs. Charles E. Thorp……………………………………………………………Custodian

Mrs. Orrin Whipple……………………………………………………………….Hostess

 

 

DIRECTORS

 

Mrs. H. Nielsen French

Mrs. E. E. Earle

Mrs. H. S. Wanzer

 

 

 

CELEBRITIES of the music world, lecturers, artists, and prominent men and women have been guests of the Tuesday Club of Sacramento on so many noteworthy occasions that real distinction is merited, when something memorable, is to be recorded, in California Club land.

 

Mrs. Walter Longbotham, one of the best known musicians in clubdom, has been re-elected president.

Her genial, kindly nature, as well as her ability as an executive, her talent as a singer has made for the Tuesday Club president a personage of interest in circles where women congregate.

 

The attractive club house in Sacramento is the scene for many occasions of dramatic worth, with professionals and semi-professionals, as well as talented club women in the program productions.

 

Original work is so often a distinctive part of the Tuesday Club that many of the productions have been repeated upon popular request.  The evening sessions of the Tuesday Club during the past year have been criterions for good work.  Chairman of the literary sections, the music sections, and the drama, often combine in one concert program, as they did not long ago, when an elaborate pageant and fashion-show was staged.

 

Civic and community interests are a component part of the club's achievements, in fact, the Tuesday Club of Sacramento, situated as it is, geographically, in "the heart of California" reaches out its broad sympathies for every good and noble cause.

 

Many of the most prominent women in the State Federation are members of the Tuesday Club of Sacramento.  Many of the members are officers in the State and District Federation.  In fact the Northern District of the California Federation of the Women's Clubs has long been acclaimed as one of the greatest contributing forces to the State Federation and its executive work.

 

Mrs. Longbotham has been a member of the State Executive Board under different leaders, Mrs. Bradford Woodbridge, a former president of the Northern District Federation, is one of the active Tuesday Club members.  Mrs. A. L. Miller, the presiding executive of the Northern District, is one of the favored Tuesday Club guests.

 

Mrs. William D. Stephens, wife of Gov. Stephens, is often an honor guest at the noteworthy events of the Tuesday Club.  Wives of the senators, state representatives, and congresswomen are frequent visitors at the Tuesday Club house, one of the prettiest club houses, by the way, it in the state.  Financial prudence and careful expenditures together with splendid business direction guide the whirl of the wheels in the progress of the Tuesday Club of Sacramento, California.

 

PAGE 91

T O W N   A N D   G O W N   C L U B

Berkeley

 

                                                                        

OFFICERS

 

Mrs. FRANK J. WOODWARD, 2737 Belrose..............................................................................President

Mrs. A. O. LEUSCHNER, 1816 Scenic Ave.........................................................................Vice-President

Mrs. CHARLES BIEDENBATH, 2712 Alcatras..........................................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. CHARLES DERLETH, 2834 Webster..........................................................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. NATHANIEL GARDENER, 2907 Hillegass Ave..................................................Assistant Secretary

Mrs. S. B. MCLENEGAN, 2728 Belrose....................................................................................... Treasurer

Mrs. CRAYTON WILKINSON, 2525 Benvenue Avenue..............................................Assistant Treasurer

Mrs. CORNELIA W. BOSLEY, 1307 Bay View Place..................................................................Librarian

 

 

TO compile the history of the Town and Gown Club of Berkeley is to write in radiant

phraseology the names of many prominent women in University life.  For, the Town and

Gown Club stands quite distinctively a woman’s organization of culture, initiative work, an

high in the educational archives of California.

Within the cozy rooms of the Town and Gown Club, have assembled women whose names are household words in literary fields, and whose prominence in the upbuilding of educational life and community welfare give credence to the acclamation of constituents in point of attainment.  The personnel of the roster includes many of the best known families of California.  The honorary members are women who have added prestige to an organization of distinguished women.  Dr. Aurelia Henry Reinhardt, president of Mills College; Mrs. E. E. Brown, Washington; Mrs.

George Haight, and Mrs. Charles B. Bradley, are four of the honorary members.

The club house at the corner of Dwight Way and Dana Street, is the meeting place of the Town and Gown Club of Berkeley.  One can see through the trailing vines something of the

genuine cheer to be found within the club rooms.  Women of refinement and a radiant outlook on life in general greet the visitor there.

Mrs. Frank J. Woodward, the president, and her splendid staff of co-workers have a way of imparting real California hospitality which has done much for the women in University life.  While scholastic requirements are compulsory for membership enrollment, and the standards are high so, too, are the tone and tenor of days spent in noteworthy gatherings.

Life members of the Town and Gown Club include: Mrs. C. T. Blake, Mrs. C. C. Judson, Mrs.

William Fitzhugh, Mrs. P. R. Boone.

Mrs. Benjamin Ide Wheeler, wife of President Emeritus Wheeler, is an active member of the Town and Gown Club.  Mrs. David P. Barrows, wife of the President of the University of California, is an active member; Mrs. Horatio Stebbins, mother of Dean Stebbins, of the University of California, is also an active member.

Receptions, luncheons, celebrations and special anniversaries for notables are recorded in the annals of the Town and Gown Club.  These brilliant events are supplementary to the intimate assemblages when members gather to discuss general world events, or to continue studies along the subjects engaging concerted attention.  While the Town and Gown Club takes no part in the general federation affairs of California women, its contributing part to the cultural life of the State is past close reckoning.  Consistently a Town and Gown Club, the coterie of women comprising its welfare command admiration and respect.

PAGE 93

C E N T U R Y    C L U B

San Francisco

OFFICERS

 

Mrs. GEORGE B. SOMERS, 2662 Vallejo.....................................................................................President

Mrs. EDWARD F. HAAS, 2446 Vallejo........................................................................First Vice-President

Mrs. EDWARD ERLE BROWNELL, 1700 Broadway.............................................Second Vice-President

Mrs. J.B. WRIGHT, Clift Hotel...............................................................................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. CULLEN F. WELTY, 18 Presidio Terrace.........................................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. WM. PENN HUMPHREYS, 29 West Clay Park.....................................................Business Secretary

Mrs. B.S. REVETT, 2411 Webster..................................................................................................Treasurer

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS

 

                       Miss KATE HUTCHINSON                                                                   Miss MARION DELANY

                       Miss MABEL PIERCE                                                  Mrs. FREDERICK JOYCE

 

THE Century Club of California is one of the best known exclusive clubs of the State.  It was founded in the year 1888 and incorporated in 1904.

Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst, founder of the club, was the first president.  Succeeding presidents included: Mrs. A. L. Bancroft, Mrs. Henry Gibbons, Mrs. John Vance Cheney, Mrs.  Horace Davis, Mrs. John F. Swift, Mrs. P. B. Cornwall, Miss Anna Beaver, Mrs. A. F. Morrison, Mrs. Frank J. Symmes, Mrs. Frederick Hewlett, Mrs. John F. Merrill, Mrs. George F. Bowman, Mrs. Frederick G. Sanborn, Mrs. Edward C. Wright, Miss Kate Forbes Hutchinson, Mrs. George Oulton, Mrs. James Otis Lincoln, Miss Margaret Foster, Mrs. Rosalie Kaufman, Mrs. William Reding, Mrs. Horace Wilson, Miss Marie Withrow, Mrs. Alexander Morrison, Mrs. Reginald Knight Smith, Mrs. Ramon Wilson, Mrs. George Somers.

Mrs. Robert Davis is president of the Century Club.  On her executive staff are women from families whose part in building the commonwealth is part of our State history.  Mrs. Edwin W. Newhall, Jr., is chairman of the music department, assisted by Mrs. John McGraw and Marion de Guerre Steward.  Mrs. William Sesnon, chairman of the drama section, has been assisted by Mrs. Arthur Maitland and Mrs. Charles Stetson Wheeler, Jr. Mrs. Elizabeth Gerberding is chairman of literature; Mrs. John Dennis Arnold, art; Mrs. Ernest J. Mott, current events; and Mrs. David P. Barrows, chairman of the science department, with Mrs. W. W.  Campbell assisting.

One department devoted to courtesies extended to distinguished guests is directed by Mrs.  Reginald Knight Smith, assisted by Mrs. Charles Stetson Wheeler, Sr., and Mrs. Louis F. Monteagle and Mrs. William P. Plummer.  Miss Clara Louise Safford is chairman of the library section.  In this special consideration are also Miss Kate Beaver, Mrs. Frank J. Devlin, Miss Elisa May Willard and Miss Kate Forbes Hutchinson.  Mrs. William C. Buttler, chairman of the language sections is assisted by Miss Kate Beaver and Mlle Soulas.  Miss Anna Beaver has the card section, Mrs. Arthur Sharpes, Miss Mabel Pierce and Mrs. George Forderer, the roof garden section; Mrs.  Arthur L. House is chairman of the house committee; Mrs. William H. Hannam, Mrs. Robert Allan Reid and Mrs. Winfield Scott Davis, the luncheon committee; Mrs. Lyman M. Welch, tea table chairman; Miss Louise De Voe Brickell, decoration chairman; Mrs. J. Stewart Fairweather, chairman, renting.

Mrs. John Franklin Swift is chairman of the permanent furnishings, assisted by Mrs. Paul Goodloe, Mrs. Stetson G. Hindes, Mrs. Charles Cushing, Mrs. Hamilton Murray is chairman of auditing, with Mrs. Thomas B. Dozier and Mrs. Edward Erle Brownell.

Mrs. George B. Somers was president of the Century Club of California for 1920-1921.

On her executive staff were: Mrs. Edward Haas, Mrs. E. E. Brownell, Mrs. Cullen F. Welty, Mrs.  William Penn Humphreys, Mrs. J. B. Wright, Mrs. B. Stanley Revelt, and Miss Marion Delaney, Miss Kate Forbes Hutchinson, Mrs. Frederick L. Joyce and Miss Mabel Pierce.  The Century Club stands pre-eminently, one of the organizations of women devoted to cultural purposes, with pro-grams of charm, study and intellectuality predominating.  The women enrolled on its roster are from homes of prominent citizens.  The membership is limited to four hundred.  During the past year the Century Club has had many noteworthy programs with world famous speakers and talented women participating.  Charter Members’ Day in September opened the year.  “Present Conditions in Europe” with Mr. J. B. Havre, speaker; art—modern decorative painting, by Mr. R. Schaeffer of the California School of Fine Arts, and “The Woman’s College” by Dr.  Aurelia Reinhardt, “The Co-Educational Institution” by Dr. Jessica Peixotto, were programmed during the first fall month.

Presidents’ Day, in October included “Yankee Doodle’s Sweetheart,” with beautiful characteri-zations.  This was followed by an hour of music, Mrs. Waldrop, soprano; Uda Waldrop at the piano.  Dr. Lillien J. Martin, lectured on “Psycho-Analysis and Its Significance in Everyday Life”;

Miss Lila Van Kirk, gave a talk on “Italy from the Renaissance to the Resorgamento” and then came the Thanksgiving luncheon.  Compositions written by Elizabeth Mills Crothers were the inspiration for the April meeting of the Century Club.  A drama: “Fanny’s Bright Idea” written by the daughter of Mrs. W. H. Mills, Elizabeth Mills Crothers, was given, Mrs. Edward de La-veaga, Mrs. Albert Morrison, Mr. Gregg, and Mr. Thomas Miller in the cast.  Poems from : “The Ascent” were read by Mrs. Minnie Sabin Cooper and the songs of Mrs. Crothers were so beautifully sung by Mrs. Armand Cailleau, with harp accompaniment by Miss Barbara Merkeley.  Miss Katherine Burke gave a talk on literature, a day of music by noted musicians and an annual breakfast in May with Mrs. William Palmer Lucas speaker on the Pan-American Congress of Women at Baltimore were days which pronouncedly proclaimed the standards of Century Club during the past year.

 

 

PAGE  94
                                                    

Portrait of ELIZABETH MILLS CROTHERS

ELIZABETH  MILLS  CROTHERS

 

Elizabeth Mills Crothers, daughter of William Harrison Mills and Elizabeth

Haswell Mills, was born in Sacramento January 20, 1882, and died at Stanford

University, August 18, 1920.  On March 23, 1911, she was married to Judge George Edward Crothers.  She entered the University of California in 1903, and graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1903.  From childhood she showed remarkably diversified talents.  She formulated verses even before she could write, and before she was in her teens she was fond of drawing faces expressive of various emotions, such as love, fear, hate and courage.Inspired by contact with such professors as Chauncey W. Wells and Doctors Benjamin Ide Wheeler and John C. Merriam, she continued her intense interest in literary and musical composition and Paleontology to the very end.  Her many delightful plays and her scientific and imaginative productions upon the early history of man remain as yet unpublished.  “The Ascent and Other Poems,” with Foreword by Chancellor David Starr Jordan, and many of her songs, were published in 1921.  Of the poems Dr. Jordan wrote in his Foreword: “This volume is a memorial of a short but most happy and beautiful life.  It is made up of lyric poems written by a very gifted young woman for her own pleasure and that of her friends.  They were as spontaneous as the songs of birds, and were put forth in the security of a happy home.”


PAGE 96 

CALIFORNIA FEDERATION OF

WOMEN'S CLUBS

State Executive Board

1920-1921

OFFICERS

Mrs. AARON SCHLOSS, 3209 Claremont Avenue, Berkeley.............................................................President

Mrs. W. A. FITZGERALD, 999 Bush Street, San Francisco......................................................Vice-President

Mrs. ROBERT F. GARNER, 498  D Street, San Bernardino.........................................Vice-President at Large

Mrs. ELON L. WARNER, 63 Monte Vista Avenue, Oakland............................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. FREDERICK T. ROBSON, Stanford Ranch, Vina, Tehama County...................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. CHARLES A. WILEY, 911 Pacific Avenue, Long Beach...........................................................Treasurer

Mrs. CLARK MCEUEN, 414 E. Date Street, Riverside.........................................................................Auditor

Miss JESSICA LEE BRIGGS, 2857 Broderick, San Francisco...............................................................Auditor

Mrs. ANNIE LITTLE BARRY, 1935 Eldorado Avenue, Berkeley............................................Parliamentarian

 
DISTRICT  PRESIDENTS

Mrs. O. W. MARCH, Northern                                            Dr. MARIANA BERTOLA, San Francisco

Mrs. CLAUDE R. LERCH, Alameda                                    Mrs. MOLLIE BLOOM FLAGG, San Joaquin Valley

Mrs. SIDNEY THOMAS EXLEY, Los Angeles                     Mrs. A. W. WOHLFORD, Southern

 

HONORARY  MEMBERS

Mrs. ROBERT J. BURDETTE                                                                                Mrs. JOSIAH EVANS COWLES

ADVISORY  MEMBERS

Mrs. JAMES G. BERRYHILL                Mrs. ROBERT J. BURDETTE                         Mrs. HERBERT A. CABLE

Mrs. FRANK A. GIBSON                      Dr. AURELIA HENRY REINHARDT                 Mrs. FRANK N. SHIEK

                                                             Mrs. ROSE V. S. BERRY

 

CHAIRMEN  OF  DEPARTMENTS

Mrs. GEORGE A. CHENEY, Art                                 Mrs. J. H. ANDRESON, California History and Landmarks

Dr. EDNA W. BAILEY, Child Welfare                       Mrs. BRADFORD WOODBRIDGE, Civics

Mrs. P. G. GOSS, Conservation                                 Mrs. HENRY E. DENYSE, Country Life

Miss MARY H. TRACY, Education                            Mrs. CLARENCE M. HARDING, Home Economics

Mrs. MARTHA J. HAMPTON, Ind. and Social Conditions   Miss CAROLINE KELLOGG, Legislation and Political Science

Mrs. ELEANOR B. JONES, Literature                          Mrs. A. L. MILLER, Music

Mrs. W. A. FITZGERALD, Press                                 Dr. LILLIAN RAY TITCOMB, Public Health

 

CHAIRMEN  OF  COMMITTEES

Mrs. HARVEY G. ANDERSON, Emblem                    Mrs. LOUIS HERTZ, Endowment

Mrs. FRANK A. GIBSON, Federal Service                 Mrs. A. E. CARTER, Community Service

Mrs. EDWARD DEXTER KNIGHT, Thrift                   Mrs. J. B. STEARNS, Federation Extension

Mrs. CHARLES C. ARNOLD, Indian Welfare             Miss SUSAN T. SMITH, Information and Library Service

Mrs. C. E. CUMBERSON, International Relations      Mrs. LORIN P CRANE, Memorial, Cora Elliot Jones

Miss ANNE MUMFORD, Revision 

PAGE 97

YOSEMITE  CONVENTION  CALIFORNIA

FEDERATION  OF  WOMEN’S  CLUBS

A  NEW  EPOCH  IN  CLUB  HISTORY

 

LOG books of the California Federation of Women’s Clubs will consistently contain records of conventions.  Yet, in all the years to come no more successful concourse nor worthy a convention can be chronicled than that of the Twentieth Annual Convention of the California Federation of Women’s Clubs held in Yosemite Valley, May 24 to 28 inclusive, in the year 1921.To the glory of the womanhood of the West may it be said that the ambitious undertaking of the California Federation far surpassed their highest hopes and expectations.  No more beautiful setting for a convention could possibly be imagined.  The mental vigor which asserted itself in session and conferences during the four-day convention procedure harmonized with the heights of Yosemite.

Mrs. Aaron Schloss of Berkeley was the presiding officer, in her capacity as President of the California Federation of Women’s Clubs with its membership enrollment of something near the 60,000 mark.

Women high in community and civic life, women from the quietude of home life, women versed in political life, women from the business and the professional world, the literati, the artists, the musicians, leaders in municipal and state enterprises, women from practically all walks of life gathered at the Yosemite Valley Convention.

Standards of excellence were firmly fixed in the feminine firmament by their executive, Mrs. Schloss, who had the loyal support of an able executive staff of officers.  Petty political points were lost in the light which flashed from the mountain peaks of Yosemite.  Radiant rays from majestic falls illumined the way

of club work and permeated the convention procedures.

The acme of club achievement was attained by the presentation in Yosemite Valley of a pageant entitled: “California the Land of Dreams.”  It was produced on the meadows just below Yosemite Falls, with something like eleven hundred women in the cast.  Some of the participants were professionals, or semi-professionals, but for the most part, the cast comprised club women who essayed their roles with consecrated service and a desire to put forth the best within them.

Symbolical and historical-was the pageant: symbolical in the presentation of the “questing spirit of womanhood,” historical, because the twentieth milestone of federated club work in California, marked a new era in criterions.

The stage for the pageant produced in Yosemite was one to which Nature gave of her rarest.  Three thousand feet rose the granite walls which formed the background of the pageant-play.  Giant trees formed the wings; a drop curtain of Heaven’s own azure blue, a carpet of exquisite wild flowers scenting the breeze

and the sound of mighty waterfalls for orchestral accompaniment-these were some of Nature’s contributions to the scene.

The day of the pageant was ideal.  The sun shone in kindly tribute, following the preceding afternoon of shadows and mist.  The rainbow above Yosemite Falls

 

 

PAGE 98

fell like a spotlight over the stage ostensibly picking out the principals as they spoke their lines and played their part.

Spectators sat around the natural amphitheatre forming a circle into which the players came as they presented six episodes in consecutive and historical sequence.

The dramatic episodes were interwoven with pantomimes, tableaux and interpretative dancing-all of which carried the thread of unity-“The Questing Spirit of Womanhood” seeking a community where she could direct her talents.

Dr. Aurelia Henry Reinhardt, president of Mills College, was the leading character in her role of “California.”

Mrs. Eleanor Brodie Jones of Los Angeles, in her official capacity as Chairman of Literature, wrote much of the work and was greatly responsible for the presentation of the pageant.

Grace Hyde Trine, an authority on pageantry, was one of the advisors.  Miss Marjorie Day, Mrs. Arthur Farewell, Mrs. Frayne Williams, Miss Mae Francis O’Keeffe were others whose professional advice carried the presentation to successful fruition.

Gertrude Atherton, wrote the historical foundation for the pageant.

Practically every prominent club woman of California was in attendance at the Yosemite Valley Convention.  It represented the largest gathering of women in the history of the State.

Mrs. W. A. Fitzgerald, of San Francisco, was elected to succeed Mrs. Aaron Schloss at the Yosemite Convention.  The gracious manner in which Mrs. Schloss placed the official club gavel into the hands of her successor, Mrs. Fitzgerald, added to the permanency of her constituency.

The name of Mrs. Aaron Schloss was placed on the Founders’ Roll of the General Federation as the highest honor which the club women of California have within their power to bestow.

Signature of Josephine Wilson

 

THE  CALIFORNIA  FEDERATION  REVIEW

 

IT is interesting to review the development of the women’s club movement in California.  Powerful and effective as women are, in club groups, more effective and influential are they as the composite organization called the Federation.

The California Federation of Women’s Clubs was organized in Los Angeles, January 18, 1900.

It was admitted to the General Federation in May of the same year.  The first club house owned by any federated club in California was the little Greek Temple, Broadway and Seventh Streets, Los Angeles.  This was the first club house built for women by a woman, in the country.  In the auditorium of this little structure gathered the women who answered the call to form the State Federation.

Mrs. Robert J. Burdette of Pasadena was the first president.  Her enthusiasm, her understanding of club work, and her generalship, were greatly responsible for the promptness with which women responded to the initial session of the federation.  That was twenty-two years ago.  In May of 1822, the California Federation celebrated its twenty-second birthday at Los Angeles, and the founder, Mrs. Burdette, was again one of the speakers.

The California Federation of Women’s Clubs has now an enrollment past the fifty-five thousand mark.  It is divided into six districts, and in federation curriculum, the field of activities covers a wide range of work for the betterment of home, state, and nation.  Affiliated with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, the California Federation adheres closely to national principles and guidance, at the same time, developing their own particular resources within the ranks of clubdom.

 

 

PAGE 99

OUR  FEDERATION

 

 

Portrait of  MRS. WILLIAM A. FITZGERALD

 

ENTERING upon the twenty second year of its existence, the California Federation of Women’s Clubs has chosen American Citizenship as the keynote of the year’s work.  Our program will be a continuation of the constructive Americanization plan outlined by Mrs.  Frank A. Gibson.We desire to conserve and salvage the results of Americanization work-to link them to our work so that the continuity of a State program will be unbroken.  Special attention is called to the importance of completing nationality maps, and to extending Arts and Crafts Exhibits.

Each department chairman has been asked in outlining her work, to bear in mind its relationship to a main theme to the end that instead of fragmentary bits of unrelated effort, reports at the annual meetings of club women may be closely fitting sections of a well defined harmonious composite American Citizenship.

In conformity to the General Federation, Motion Pictures have been added to our departments of work.

At the Salt Lake convention it was brought to the mind of women that in addition to those agencies primarily interested in the welfare of the ex-service men, there were many opportunities for service through women’s clubs.  A new committee has been appointed for this work entitled: “Co-operation with Ex-Service Men and Women,” The film taken of the beautiful pageant: “California, Land of Dreams,” has been assembled and completed for production.  Those who were so fortunate as to see the picture know its value and appreciate more than ever the privilege of presenting anything so high in literary standard in that marvelous national park: Yosemite.

The year is rich in opportunity for Federation service.  May every earnest endeavor be crowned with success-a success which made our “Coming-of-Age” Convention held in Yosemite Valley-a shining page in Federation history.

Signature of Mrs. W. A. Fitzgerald                                                                        

President

 

Page 100

CALIFORNIA  FEDERATION  OF

WOMEN’S CLUBS

State Executive Board

1921-1922

 
OFFICERS

Mrs. WILLIAM A. FITZGERALD, 999 Bush Street, San Francisco.................................................President

Dr. MARIANA BERTOLA 1052 Jackson Street, San Francisco...............................................Vice-President

Mrs. SIDNEY THOMAS EXLEY, 626 W. 46TH Street, Los Angeles........................Vice-President at Large

Mrs. STANLEY V. WILSON, 181 23rd Avenue, San Francisco......................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. CLARENCE M. HARING, 1325 Arch Street, Berkeley....................................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. FINLAY COOK, 2417 Ward Street, Berkeley............................................................Business Secretary

Mrs. M. A. BAUSCH, 608 W. I Street, Colton.................................................................................Treasurer

Mrs. CHARLES A. WILEY, 911 Pacific Avenue, Long Beach...........................................................Auditor

Mrs. WALTER LONGBOTHAM, 718 K Street, Sacramento................................................................Auditor

DISTRICT  PRESIDENTS

Mrs. A. L. MILLER, Northern district                                             Mrs. GEORGE A. RIGG Alameda district

Mrs. JOHN C. URQUHART, Los Angeles district                            Mrs. H. M. TENNEY, San Francisco district

Mrs. GEORGE W. TURNER, San Joaquin Valley district                Mrs. F. W. HAMAN, Southern district

 

HONORARY  MEMBERS

Mrs. ROBERT J. BURDETTE                                                                               Mrs. JOSIAH EVANS COWLES

ADVISORY  MEMBERS

Mrs. ROSE V. S. BERRY                                                                                Mrs. JAMES G. BERRYHILL                                                                                        

Mrs. ROBERT J. BURDETTE                                                                                         Mrs. HERBERT A. CABLE

Mrs. FRANK A. GIBSON                                                                                Dr. AURELIA HENRY REINHARDT          

Mrs. FRANK N. SHIEK                                                                                                  Mrs. EDWIN D. BUSS

Mrs. AARON SCHLOSS                                                                                  Mrs. ANNIE LITTLE BARRY

 

 

CHAIRMEN  OF  DEPARTMENTS

Mrs. R. S. HOLWAY, Art                                         Mrs. C. S. ALVERSON, California History and Landmarks

Mrs. AMANDA SCHLESINGER, Child Welfare        Mrs. GENEVIEVE WILLIAMS, Conservation

Mrs. MOLLIE BLOOM FLAGG, Country Life           Mrs. LYDIA D. LAWHEAD, Education

Miss FLORENCE LA GANKE, Home Economics     Mrs. L. A. BEEBE, Industrial and Social Conditions

Mrs. R. K. LAWRENCE, Literature                             Mrs. ANNETTE ABBOTT ADAMS, Legislation and Pol. Science

Mrs. B. F. WALKER, Motion Pictures                     Mrs. S. L. PLATT, Music

Mrs. FINLAY COOK, Press                                      Dr. RACHEL ASH, Public Health

 

CHAIRMEN OF COMMITTEES

Miss SUE BARNWELL, American Citizenship                  Mrs. EDWARD DEXTER KNIGHT, Business

Mrs. W. A. HICKOX, Community Service                        Mrs. A. D. MCLEAN, Co-operation with Ex-Service

Mrs. JOSEPH F. DEVIN, Emblem                                               Men and Women

Mrs. FREDERICK T. ROBSON, Federation Extension       Mrs. D. W. MOTT, Endowment

Mrs. WILLIAM HILGER, Information and Library Service        Mrs. H. A. ATWOOD, Indian Welfare

Mrs. LORIN P. CRANE, Memorial, Cora Elliott Jones                Miss CATHERINE MORRIS COX, International Relations

Miss MARGARET B. CURRY, Revision                             Mrs. AARON SCHLOSS, Pageant Pictures

 

PAGE 101

THE  GENERAL  FEDERATION  OF

WOMEN’S  CLUBS

 

 

Portrait of MRS. JOSIAH EVANS COWLES

 

MANY California women have achieved distinction in the Gen-eral Federation of Women’s Clubs which already numbers over two million women including membership not only in this country, but in Canada, in China, England, France, in Hawaii, Japan, the Philippine Islands, Sweden, West Australia, the West Indies and the Canal Zone.

In each of the countries, a president directs the club work according to the plan of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs of which Mrs.  Thomas G. Winter, of Minneapolis, is president.  Canada has five provinces with women’s clubs belonging to the General Federation.  China has an American Woman’s Club in the city of Shanghai.  England has an American Woman’s Club.  Paris has an American Woman’s Club belonging to the General Federation.  At Lihue, Kauai, Mekihana, in Hawaii, there is a federated club.  In Tokyo, Japan, a club of one hundred members are affiliated with the General Federation.  There are two clubs in the Philippines, at Manila, one called the Fortnightly and one the “Woman’s Club.”  At Stockholm, Sweden, there is an American Woman’s Club.  Perth, Australia, has a club:  Karrakatta,” affiliated.  In the West Indies, there are the three clubs, one at McKinley, Isle of Pines, known as the Carnation Club: one at Santa Barbara, Isle of Pines, “Woman’s Economic Club” and one at Santa Fe, Isle of Pines, the Hibiscus Club.  “The Woman’s Musicale,” Ancon, Canal Zone, and the Woman’s Club, Cristobal, Canal Zone, are among the active clubs outside of the United States, belonging to the General Federation-in fact because there are so many clubs outside of the nation-the name, General is used instead of National Federation, as formerly.

Mrs. Winter often visits California, and, in this state, is one of the well known General Federation presidents.  She directs the enormous work carried on by her two million constituents with the thoroughness of a general.  Her principles of government are universal expressed as follows in her word to club women throughout the world-“Ten people have the strength of a hundred who stand singly; one hundred, in phalanx, can overpower a thousand stragglers.  Let us band together-an invincible million-working for health, happiness, righteousness and humanity in these United States.”

Mrs. Josiah Evans Cowles, of Los Angeles, was General Federation president from the terms of 1916 to 1918, and then re-elected as General Federation president from 1918 to 1920.  She preceded her executive work as head of largest group of federated women in this country by her experience gained as State president of California from 1906 to 1907.  Mrs. Cowles has a smile which the women say is contagious.  She has an appreciation of values, an alert mind, fine perception and that necessary qualification for general leadership-abundant humor and its fine companion, diplomacy.  California club women have been proud of her presidency for she comes from that coterie of women whose deeds are both inspirational and convincing.  She was a General Federation director during the presidency of the late Sarah Platt Decker of Colorado; she was first vice-president, during the reign of Mrs. Philip N. Moore of Missouri, from 1900 to 1912.  She followed Mrs. Percy V.  Pennybacker of Texas, as president of the General Federation, being elected to office at the New York convention of 1916.  While she makes her home in Los Angeles, she is claimed as an universal club woman, and California, from north to south, acclaim her: “leader.”

 

 

PAGE 102

 

Photo of the three women listed below.

AN  INCIDENT  OF  YOSEMITE  CONVENTION  DAYS

Mrs. George Turner, president of the San Joaquin Valley District, and Mrs. W. A. Fitzgerald president of the California Federation, seated on a rustic bench in Yosemite Valley, are con-sidering plans for future work with Mrs. Thomas Exley of Los Angeles.

PAGE  103

PORTRAITS  OF THE  FOLLOWING  FOUR  WOMEN

 

MRS. H. M. TENNEY

President San Francisco District

MRS. GEORGE A. RIGG

President Alameda District

 

MRS. A. L. MILLER

President Northern District

 

MRS. JOHN C. URQUHART

President Los Angeles District

 

 

Four district presidents of the California Federation of Women’s Clubs.  Two other district

presidents are:  Mrs. George Turner, and Mrs. F. W. Haman, of the San Joaquin Valley

District and the Southern District, respectively.

 

 

 

PAGE 104

PORTRAITS OF:

MRS. D. J. MacMASTER          CORA SUTTON CASTLE  Ph. D       MRS. W. B. HAMILTON

Founder and First President                (Mrs. H. Edward Castle)                      Past President

                                                                   Second President

 

                                                       MISS JENNIE PARTRIDGE (Top)

President San Francisco City and County Federation of Women’s Clubs

 

 

 

PAGE 105

SAN  FRANCISCO  CITY  AND  COUNTY

FEDERATION  OF WOMEN’S  CLUB

 

CLUB life in San Francisco is so distinctively a part of civic enterprise and the various projects which make for human progress, that full recognition of its activities could not be recorded in a volume.  It was founded in the year 1916 with a small membership from six San Francisco clubs.  An approximate membership enrollment of twelve thousand women in the San Francisco City and County Federation, attests, in a measure, the co-opera-tive attitude of local clubdom.  Over ninety individual clubs with almost as many individualities, are represented in the City Federation.  These individual clubs, contribute to, and control, activities assumed by the Federation.  The Federation is a kind of clearing-house for club work.  The Federation is a senate, in a way, where laws and technicalities are proclaimed.  The Federation is an inspiration, too, to its constituency.  It is a representative body of women with thought and vision, who get together for the betterment of those whom it is within their province to aid and advise.

Miss Jennie Partridge, president of the San Francisco City Federation, because of her experience in executive club work, and her leadership in women’s affairs, has been able to enlarge the range of ramifications.  She has surrounded herself, too, with a staff of women trained in club technique.  Preceding Miss Partridge, as president of the San Francisco City and County Federation of Women’s Clubs, was Mrs. W. B. Hamilton, a gentlewoman high in the regard of the people.  Mrs. Hamilton’s ability as a leader gained prominence in her canteen work when the mantle of supervision fell upon her from the shoulders of her friend, the late Mrs. George Sperry.  Mrs. Hamilton launched an idea during the year of her presidency of the City Federation--1920-1921--an idea which may thrive to full fruition.  That idea was a Woman’s Club House for the assembling of women’s organizations.  She advanced several projects with the enthusiasm of her nature, an enthusiasm which permeates the work which follows her.

Cora Sutton Castle, Ph.D. (Mrs. H. Edward Castle), of Columbia University and the University of California, author of: “A Statistical Study of Eminent Women” presided over the City Federation for two years--1918-1920.  She directed the Federation along the highway of thoughts and purposes and made record for achievement, notably the establishment and direction of the Outside Inn, a home-place where mothers and relatives could stay in order to be near their loved ones, sick or disabled, at the Letterman General Hospital.  This work proved not only an accommodation for the women whom they aimed to help, but it proved, a financial success.  Dr. Castle, herself, attributes the success of this work to her chairman, Mrs. Henry Sahlein.  Financial statements record a surplus of $4,260.34 from the Outside Inn, the first year.  Scholarly, gracious, able, dignified and brilliant as she was, Dr. Castle, always found time for personal guidance in the many endeavors of San Francisco’s club work, a work which she raised in standard and purpose by the accuracy of her statements and the thoroughness and fairness of executive decisions.  Dr. Castle was a well known leader in legislative measures and visited, regularly, the sessions during the California Legislature.  In speaking of club work, Dr.

Castle said:

“As women’s organizations, we have learned to work together and to think constructively, concerning the big pieces of work that challenge the service of our sex.”

Mrs. D. J. MacMaster, the honorary president of the San Francisco City and County Federation of Women’s Clubs, was the founder of this effective bit of machinery which marks the force of a woman-power in the community.  Mrs.

 

 

PAGE 106

MacMaster had the vision-a vision which prompted her to combine the energy of leaders and to make for a federation which should be controlled by civic pride, co-operation and progress.While presidents may rule and direct, may lead and advise, the great motive power of any organization is to be found in the different departments developed by their chairmen.

In the San Francisco City Federation of Women’s Clubs, many of the chairmen are presidents of contributing clubs-their efficiency proclaiming a composite group of women versed in leadership.

Each president in the City Federation carries in her own distinctive way, a speculation, a record, or a note of cheer, which resound, anew, in each deliberation.  What is the ultimate goal of the San Francisco City and County Federation?  “It will be as far-reaching as the vision of those who control its destiny,” said Dr. Cora Sutton Castle in her closing comment of a year’s work.

JOSEPHINE  WILSON

 

 

In this outlined sketch of the San Francisco City and County Federation is interwoven plans or purposes of clubdom at large.  The San Francisco City and County Federation is here presented because, primarily, it represents and enrollment of over 15,000 women as units in the large organiza-tions of the federated groups.Many other city and county federations of women’s clubs, in California, have rightful claim to the same recognition.  This particular federation is unusual in point of formation, and a criterion in point of progress.  We review this branch of club and community activities in apprecia-tion of the great service the women, collectively and individually, have given the city and county of San Francisco.  Other county federations command equal recognition, and they should occupy the same place in community and club reckonings.

 

CLUBS  AND PRESIDENTS  OF  THE  SAN  FRANCISCO

CITY  AND  COUNTY  FEDERATION  OF

WOMEN’S CLUBS

 

 

Alpha Neighborhood Club_______________________________Mrs. T. H. McCarthy, 1332 Shrader Ave.

Alumnae Association of the San Francisco Girls’ High School___Mrs. R. E. Mittelstaedt, 1142 Hyde St.

American Jugo-Slav Woman’s Club________________________Mrs. A. S. Musante, 182 Jones

Association of Collegiate Alumnae________________________Mrs. E. E. Brownell, 1700 Broadway

Association of Pioneer Women___________________________Mrs. Mary Coghlan, 1908 Green

Audible Speech Association_____________________________Dr. Mary Girard, 768 Funston Avenue

Bertola Assembly_____________________________________Mrs. N. L. Nelson, 1814 Vallejo Street

Board of Managers of the Children’s Hospital_____________Mrs. Alexander Morrison, 2022 California

California Club_____________________________________Mrs. A. W. Scott, Fairmont Hotel

California Home for Girls_____________________________Mrs. Edw. Dexter Knight, 58 Woodland Ave.

California Woman’s State Democratic League_____________Mrs. C. W. Miller, 732 Treat

Cap and Bells_______________________________________Mrs. J. M. Whited, 30 Belvedere

Catholic Professional Women’s Club_____________________Miss Eleanor Tierney, 901 Taylor

Channing Auxiliary___________________________________Mrs. F. G. Canney, 279 9th Ave.

Clionian____________________________________________Mrs. W. I. Clayes, Burlingame

Corona Club_________________________________________Mrs. Alfred R. McCullough, 3161 23rd.

Council of Jewish Women______________________________Mrs. Julius L. Baer, 125 Euclid Ave.

Council of San Francisco School Women__________________Miss Georgia Hawkins, 1915 Oak

Czecho-Slovak Woman’s Club___________________________Miss Margaret Miriam Krasak, 224 L. Ter.

Dames of the Loyal Legion Society of California_____________Mrs. Flora Bowley, 3946 19th St.

Daughters of California Pioneers__________________________Mrs. Louise M. Bartels, 222 7th Ave.

De Gamles Veaner_____________________________________Mrs. Niels Larson, 234 Haight. St.

Denman School Mothers’ Club____________________________Mrs. C. Shiels, 545 Lyon

Dolores Mothers’ Club___________________________________Mrs. Sara Simons, 1045 Cole

Edgewood Neighborhood Club____________________________Mrs. G. L. Stewart, 34 Farnsworth Lane

Emanu-El Sisterhood___________________________________Mrs. A. L. Lenfeld, 1822 Sacramento

Executive Council of Associated Charities__________________Mrs. Selah Chamberlin president

Miss Katherine Felton, 1500 Jackson,

Federation Representative.

Florence Crittenton Home Board of Managers____________Mrs. C. Spinks, 1912 Benvenue Ave., Berkeley

Forum Club___________________________________________Mrs. E. G. Denniston, 3454 21st

General George Meade Relief Corps_______________________Mrs. Mabel Bannister, 272 Sandowa

George H. Thomas Circle, Ladies of the Grand Army__________Mrs. Jennie E. Miller 272 3rd Ave.

Girls’ Club____________________________________________Miss Eva Wolfsohn, 362 Capp

Girls’ Friendly Society___________________________________Miss M. Pauline Coppee, Ross Valley

Golden Gate Branch of the International Sunshine Society______Mrs. Frederick C. Bennett, 851 Van Ness

Helping Hand Circle____________________________________Mrs. J. Val Smith, 2727 20th Avenue

Housewives League_____________________________________Mrs. A Neuenberg, 246 Cabrillo

 

 

 

PAGE 107

 

CLUBS  AND PRESIDENTS  OF  THE  SAN  FRANCISCO

CITY  AND  COUNTY  FEDERATION  OF

WOMEN’S CLUBS

Continued

 

 

House of Friendship, Executive Committee..............................Mrs. Sophie Lilienthal, president;  Mrs. T. Brookman, 470 Geary,

Federation Representative

Hypatia Club...............................................................................Mrs. George L. Norton, 177 McAlister

Ideal School Women’s Club........................................................Mrs. E. Maland, 769 Page

Ingleside Community Woman’s Club.........................................Mrs. A. Gladding, 143 Grand Avenue

Juvenile Protective Association..................................................Miss Julia George, 1022 Phelan Bldg.

Kate Kennedy School Women’s Club.........................................Miss Genevieve Carroll, 736 Cole

Ladies’ Auxiliary of David Scannell Club...................................Mrs. E. Moone, 445 4th Ave.

La Mesa Redonda Club...............................................................Miss Katherine Croney, 140 6th Ave.

Laurel Hall Club..........................................................................Mrs. Harry J. Schueler, 1950 Clay

League of American Pen Women...............................................Mrs. William Harold Wilson, Fairmont Hotel

Lincoln Park Women’s Club........................................................Mrs. E. R. Cowden, 778 35th Ave.

Lowell High School Mothers Club..............................................Mrs. H. A. Somers, 4214 Fulton Street

Mary Very Club...........................................................................Mrs. F. McCarthy, 3050 22nd

Mills Club.....................................................................................Mrs. E. W. Armacost, 183 Edgewood Ave.

Mizpah Charity Club....................................................................Mrs. Wm. W. Rednall, 2500 Filbert

Mothers’ Club of Parkside District...............................................Mrs. Byron Martin, 2558 30th Avenue

Needlework Guild of America......................................................Mrs. E. H. Howell, 155 27th Avenue

Nora Club......................................................................................Mrs. A. Kohn, 65 San Fernando Way

Norwegian Woman’s Club............................................................Mrs. A. Nellson 819 Potrero Avenue, South San Francisco

Orthodox Ladies Society, (Russian).............................................Mrs. B Goutt, 1520 Green

Pacific Coast Women’s Press Association....................................Mrs. F. L. Nelson, 1814 Vallejo

Papyrus Club................................................................................Mrs. Edward R. Place, 251 Ashbury

P.E.O. Sisterhood, Chapter A.M.................................................Mrs. Mildred Clemens, 2528 Lake

Phelps Circle, No. 1, U.S. Veteran Navy....................................Mrs. Celia Dutreaux, 2513 Larkin

Philomath Club............................................................................Mrs. Richard Newman, 68 Palm Ave.

Presidents’ Assembly...................................................................Mrs. George A. Mullin, 2520 Octavia

Redding Parent Teachers’ Association........................................Mrs. B. H. Curry, 1501 Larkin

St. Francis Study Club.................................................................Miss Jennie Cohan, 2830 Pierce

San Francisco Association for the Blind.....................................Mrs. Wm. Mitchell Bunker, Cloyne Court, Berkeley

San Francisco Colony of New England Women........................Mrs. W. A. Buchan, 145 Byron, Palo Alto

San Francisco County Nurses Association.................................Miss Carolyn Knowles, County Hospital

San Francisco Girls’ Welfare Club.............................................Mrs. G.W. Iverson, 1445 Oak Street, Oakland

San Francisco Grade Teachers’ Association...............................Mrs. Emma L. Dacre, 45 Henry

San Francisco League for the Hard of Hearing...........................Mrs. J. D. Trask, 406 Geary

San Francisco Musical Club........................................................Mrs. J. E. Birmingham, 2730 Pierce

San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children...........................Miss Jessica L. Briggs, 1942A Hyde

San Francisco Organization Public Health Nurses......................Miss E. Shirpser, Children’s Hospital

School Women’s Club..................................................................Miss Alice Marsh, 1945 Church

Sherman Mothers’ Club................................................................Mrs. M. Kane, 2809 Gough

Siena Alumnae..............................................................................Mrs. M. I. Walsh, 1868 Church

Social Workers Alliance................................................................Mr. J.C. Astredo, president, 4 Alta Vista Terrace

Sorosis Club...................................................................................Miss F. A. Stull 3377 Pacific Ave.

South San Francisco Woman’s Club..............................................Mrs. C. Schurk, 355 Grand Avenue

Spring Valley Mothers’ Club..........................................................Mrs. N. M. Berringer, 1314 Taylor

To Kalon Club................................................................................Mrs. A. W. Stokes, 1200 Masonic Avenue

Travelers’ Aid..................................................................................Mr. Wm. Alexander, 708 6th Avenue

Utile Dulci.......................................................................................Mrs. E. Hanson, 1173 Hayes

Victoria Colonna..............................................................................Miss Florence Musto, 2848 Scott

Winfield Scott Parent-Teachers’ Association..................................Mrs. William Mitchel, 2728 Baker

War Mothers’ Club...........................................................................Mrs. B. Sargent, 2300 Van Ness Avenue

Women’s Auxiliary of the Adult Probation Board...........................Mrs. Henry Sahlein, 1718 Jackson

Women’s Auxiliary to the Palace of Fine Arts.................................Mrs. Joseph Fife, 3870 Jackson

Women’s Christian Temperance Union (Sunset)..............................Mrs. F. Gilley, 1430 6th Avenue

Women’s Symphony Association.....................................................Mrs. Josephine Fernald, 327 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto

Young Women’s Christian Association, Pacific

Coast Field Committee of National Board...............................Mrs. W. G. Barnwell, Clift Hotel

 

Several new presidents have been elected to office as “Who’s Who Among the Women of California” goes to press.  The names of the new executives and their respective clubs are:

Alumnae Association, San Francisco Girls’ High School, Mrs. George Kiel, 160 Divisa-dero; California Club, Mrs. F. M. Sponogle, 1902 Leavenworth: Cap and Bells, Mrs. John Crabbe, 1500 Washington: Channing Auxiliary, Mrs. John McGraw, 1030 Green; Corona Club, Mrs. George Bernhard, 2662 Filbert; Daughters of California Pioneers, Madame Charles Grosjean, Hotel Bristol; Denman School Mothers’ Club, Mrs. Harry R. Curley, 1534 Hayes; Dolores Mothers’ Club, Mrs. Kate Gollin, 30 Eastwood Avenue; Forum Club, Mrs. A. L. Hart, 710 Ellis; Mizpah Charity Club, Mrs. O’Brien, Fairmont Hotel; Philo-math Club, Mrs. Charles Schlesinger, 19 Presidio Terrace; St. Frances Study Club, Miss Lillian Hine, 18 Masonic Avenue; San Francisco Colony of New England Women, Mrs.  George Miller, Bellevue Street, Burlingame; Nursery for Homeless Children, Mrs. Frank B. Wright, 648 Taylor Avenue, Alameda; To Kalon Club, Mrs. Einar Wismar, 1439 43rd Avenue; Young Women’s Christian Association, Mrs. A. L. Hart, 3779 Clay.

 

 

PAGE 108

NATIVE  DAUGHTERS  OF  THE

GOLDEN  WEST

 

GRAND OFFICERS

 

BERTHA ADELE BRIGGS, 612 5TH Street, Hollister.........................................................Past Grand President

Dr. VICTORY A. DERRICK, 425 Vernon Street, Oakland..........................................................Grand President

MATTIE M. STEIN, 109 W. Pine Street, Lodi...................................................................Grand Vice-President

ALICE H. DOUGHERTY, 1211 Claus Spreckels Building, San Francisco..................................Grand Secretary

SUSIE K. CHRIST, 1211 Claus Spreckels Building, San Francisco...........................................Grand Treasurer

AMY MCAVOY, Pittsburg...........................................................................................................Grand Marshall

HARRIET M. EAMES, Chico..............................................................................................Grand Inside Sentinel

LUCIE E. HAMMERSMITH, 1231 37th Avenue, San Francisco......................................Grand Outside Sentinel

REBECCA KEMP VAN EE, 506 Divisadero Street, San Francisco..............................................Grand Organist

GRAND TRUSTEES

HATTIE E. ROBERTS                            PEARL LAMB                                         LILY TILDEN

CATHERINE E. GLOSTER                     Dr. WINIFRED BYRNE                          MAE HIMES NOONAN

NINA E. WILLIAMS

 

 

PORTRAIT OF VICTORY A. DERRICK, M.D.

 

THE Order of the Native Daughters of the Golden West is one belonging strictly to California, and founded primarily for the purpose of keeping in loving memory, that self-sacrificing band of Pioneers, who left sheltered homes, looking neither to the future with fear, nor to the past with regret, and tempting Fate, braved untold dangers that our purple sunset land of the West might become the home of a happy and prosperous people.

By our work for the homeless children we are looking to our future citizenship, and are assisting to place hundreds of helpless little ones in homes where they are given the blessings of opportunity, parental care, and a mother’s love.

In our generous scholarship in Mills College, the first institution of its kind in the West, we are showing in a practical way our interest in the higher education for women.

Pledged to loyalty to Native Land and intent always on inspiring patriotism, our membership is enlisted in the work of reviving the unique history of our State, to the preservation of its land-marks, its forests, its wild flowers, and all its scenic wonders and beauties.  By fostering State pride, and by devotion to its every interest, we are assisting in making for California a glorious future destiny which shall be commensurate to its romantic past.

Signature of Victory A. Derrick, MD

 

Officers of the Daughters of Golden West elected at the annual convention held at San Rafael, June 15, 1922 were: Dr. Victory A. Derrick, Oakland, junior past president; Amy V. McAvoy, Sterling Parlor, Pittsburg, grand vice-president; Alice H. Daugherty, Angelita Parlor, Livermore, grand secretary; Susie K. Christ, Yosemite Parlor, San Francisco, grand treasurer; Lucie E. Hammersmith, Darina Parlor, San Francisco, grand inner sentinel; Vida Collers, Marinita Parlor, San Rafael, grand outer sentinel; Mrs. Florence D. Boyle, Oroville, grand marshal; Mrs. Ruth B. White, Fort Bragg, grand organist; grand trustees elected were Mrs. Josephine Bardoni, San Jose; Mrs. Hattie E. Roberts, Ferndale; Miss Millie Tilden Sacramento; Miss Catherine E. Gloster, Alturas; Mrs. Lorraine Kalek, Stockton; Mrs. May Hines Noonan, San Francisco; Mrs. Henrietta O’Neill, Jackson.

 

 

PAGE 109

CALIFORNIA  CONGRESS  OF  MOTHERS

AND  PARENT  TEACHERS  ASSOCIATIONS

 

 

OFFICERS

 

Mrs. HARRY J. EWING, 70 East William Street, San Jose..............................................................President

Mrs. CHARLES F. GRAY, 4247 South Flower Street, Los Angeles...............................First Vice-President

Mrs. HUGH BRADFORD, 1550 Thirty-ninth Street, Sacramento...............................Second Vice-President

Mrs. JOHN F. SHEEHAN, 117 Alpine Terrace, San Francisco.......................................Recording Secretary

Mrs. MABEL W. DORSEY, 435 South 10th Street, San Jose.................................Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. ARTHUR PAINTER, 2209 Ward Street, Berkeley...................................................Financial Secretary

Mrs. JAMES J. DALE, Mountain View...........................................................................................Treasurer

Mrs. BLANCHE BATES, 3584 Grim Street, San Diego.....................................................................Auditor

Mrs. G. H. GOODALE, Anaheim, California..................................................................................Historian

Mrs. JEROME O. CROSS, 604 Benton Street, Santa Rosa....................................................Parliamentarian

ADVISORY BOARD

GOVERNOR WILLIAM D. STEPHENS, Governor...........................................................Sacramento

Hon. WILL C. WOOD, State Superintendent Public Instructions.................................Sacramento

Dr. DAVID P. BARROWS, President University of California......................................Berkeley

Dr. RAY LYMAN WILBUR, President Leland Stanford University...............................Palo Alto

Mrs. SUSAN M. DORSEY, Superintendent Los Angeles City Schools.........................Los Angeles

Hon. C. M. OSENBAUGH, President Chico Normal School.........................................Chico

Dr. AURELIA H. REINHART, President Mills College..................................................Oakland

Dr. W. W. KEMP, President San Jose Normal School..................................................San Jose

Hon. C. L. MCLANE, President Fresno Normal School................................................Fresno

Mrs. HELEN K. SANBORN (Deceased), President Board of Education.........................San Francisco

CALIFORNIA leads in the membership enrollment in the Congress of Mothers and Parent-Teacher Associations, according to an official report made at Tacoma, Washington, by Mrs. C. C. Noble, national chairman on membership.  Mrs. Noble placed California first with an enrollment of 53, 047.

Mrs. M P. Higgins, former national president of the Congress of Mothers, have a message recently to the members, calling their attention to increased ambitions.

“We should have a Parent-Teacher Association in every school.  Parents and teachers should unite in carrying out practical constructive plans which would build up a solid loyal citizenship for the future of the state and the nation.”

“Parents should train the individual child to be honest, loyal, true, and brave.  The teacher, in the school must teach foundation principles of law and order by which groups of children are to be governed.  Parents and teachers, together in the Parent-Teacher Associations must learn the needs and desire of the group and together work for right thinking, right living, right acting, in fact for the “righteousness that exalteth a nation.”

Practically every school has a Mothers’ Club and Parent-Teacher Association.  There are few schools, in this state, especially in the large communities, which do not have a Mothers’ Club.  The California Congress of Mothers and Parent-Teacher Associations are greatly responsible for the large memberships with which this state is accredited.

Meetings are usually held in the auditoriums of the public schools at hours most convenient for parent and teacher.  More and more are the teachers entering into the club fellowship; more and more are parents realizing their responsibilities toward the teacher; in fact, the organizations are uniting them in a sacred interest for the child, the home, the state, and the nation—in proportion as the work enlarges and the affiliation increases in strength and purposes.

Mrs. Harry Ewing, president of the California Congress of Mothers and Parent-Teachers Association, is one of the best known women in her particular work in national as well as in state activities.

 

 

PAGE 110

THE  PUBLIC  SCHOOLS  OF  LOS  ANGELES

PORTRAIT OF SUSAN M. DORSEY

 

ONLY an outline of some of the outstanding features of the public schools of Los Angeles can be compassed in this brief statement. 

The great extent of the school district, stretching more than sixty miles from mountains to sea and containing 620 square miles, makes necessary many types of schools.  Within the city limits these range from the one-roomed country school nestling in the foothills, which must be administered as an ungraded unit, to the great urban high school housing thousands of students in commodious, well equipped buildings and offering an almost bewildering array of educational opportunities.

A thronging population which counts its newcomers each year by scores of thousands exacts the untiring efforts of administrators to secure the funds necessary for the housing and the educating of the school population.  The increase in February, 1922 over that of February, 1921 was more than 22,000, a larger increase for the same period than in Chicago, a city five times as large as Los Angeles.  These two factors; namely, the great size of the district and the astonishing growth in school population, multiply the perplexities and cost of administration.

A most capable Parent-Teacher Federation and a community unusually sympathetic with public education are powerful aids in meeting the perplexing problems of so diversified and extended a system.  Probably nowhere in America has the Parent-Teacher organization functioned more helpfully than in Los Angeles.  Back of every forward school movement, responsive to every emergency, their beneficient services range all the way from outfitting a child with the clothing necessary for school attendance to the gift of a fire-proof, fully equipped Public School Dispensary, through which agency the Board of Education relieves countless ills of needy childhood.

Within the schools there prevails an atmosphere of good will and comradeship between children and teachers.  The foreign parent, especially when first he becomes conscious of this genial school spirit, is heard to comment approvingly by contrast with the stern discipline of his childhood days in other lands.

It has always been the policy of Los Angeles citizens and educators to provide in their schools as great a variety of educational experience and activity as possible.  At present another advance, this time toward extended vocational opportunity, is contemplated.  Encouraging and energizing this movement is a body of forward looking men interested in the occupational future of the boys and girls and in the commercial and industrial expansion of the city.

To name any department of school endeavor as preeminent would be invidious.  The musical and art groups of the city are constantly augmented by recruits who have profited in the schools by the high grade instruction given in those subjects.  Graduates from Los Angeles high school can be found in every great university in the country.  The junior high schools, ten in number, are unsurpassed.  Increasing effort is being made to provide suitable education for the unfortunate child; for the over-aged; the mentally backward; the deaf; the blind; the cripple.

While not too prompt to chase the vision of every new educational theory, Los Angeles is alert.  Her teachers and administrators recognize that in a changing world education must be constantly readapted through courses of study, through new educational material of every kind from books to motors, if the needs of each oncoming generation are to be fairly met.

SIGNATURE OF MRS. SUSAN M. DORSEY

Superintendent.

 

 

PAGE 111

A  VISION

PORTRAIT OF  MRS. HELEN  P. SANBORN    

 

A VISION which seems likely to be realized for the strengthening of the course of training in the public school is that under consideration for the Junior High Schools.  The State law compels parents to keep children in school until they reach the age of sixteen.  Many of these children entering the high school and knowing that when they have reached this age they are going out to labor and contribute to the support of the family, are not at all interested in the regulation high school course, which is largely preparatory for the University.  We hope to differentiate the course in the Junior High Schools so that those who wish the academic, cultural course can have it, and others can have a thorough grounding in higher arithmetic, especially commercial arithmetic, mechanical drawing, et cetera, fitting them to take up the actual work of life when they go from school.  We believe this will fill a long-felt need in our community, and could these children thereby get a much stiffer common school education with a first-class knowledge of English, including spelling, they would be much more welcome in the business world.

It is a wonderful thing for all young people to get a certain amount of cultural work, which makes life pleasanter all their days.  This can be added to the practical training.

We are hoping to establish a first-class training preparatory to nursing.  Our high schools now furnish excellent courses in the sciences, especially physiology and biology, and with some additions to the present course we are told that one year’s experience in a hospital would equip our girls to serve as trained nurses.  In addition, every girl should have a basic knowledge regarding the care of the sick, thereby fitting her for better service in her own home and the care of the children who may come to her.

There are so many fields for extension that it is difficult to differentiate and decide upon the special one to be incorporated.  It is not the purpose of a public school education to give the training acquired in regulation trade schools, but could we give to our young people the basic training from which special work could be developed upon the foundation already laid, we believe we should be fulfilling an excellent purpose.  Our common school training is sound, and it would not require a great deal of specializing to make it more effective.

SIGNATURE OF HELEN SANBORN

 

 

In deep appreciation and reverence is the splendid article by that noble woman, the late Mrs. Helen Sanborn, published in this book.  Mrs. Sanborn urged this consecrated work devoted to the women of California, and just before she passed away, she called me to her office in the City Hall, and, writing this “Vision,” dedicated it to “Who’s Who Among the Women of California.”

JOSEPHINE WILSON.  

 

 

Transcribed by Suzanne Wolden.

Proofread by Betty Vickroy.

 

 


© 2005 Nancy Pratt Melton



Back to Women of California

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY'S SACRAMENTO COUNTY

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY'S SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY'S CALIFORNIA STATEWIDE

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY DATABASES

Back to Images Page