WHO’S WHO AMONG
THE WOMEN OF CALIFORNIA
Miss CHRISTINE HART, 1804 Leavenworth...........................................Honorary President
Mrs. GEORGE A. MULLIN, 2520 Octavia...............................................................President
Miss JENNIE PARTRIDGE, 852 Clayton.................................................First Vice-President
Mrs. WILLIAM RITTER, 157 6th Avenue..........................................Second Vice-President
Mrs. SEWELL DOLLIVER, 3675 Washington.......................................Third Vice-President
Mrs. EINAR WISMER, 1439 43rd Avenue.............................................Recording Secretary
Mrs. IRA CROSSCUP, 2823 Broderick............................................Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. H. C. JENSEN, 516 Cole.............................................................................Treasurer
Mrs. JULIUS BAER Mrs. C. W. BICHBAUM Mrs. N. L. NELSON
Mrs. EMMA BLAISDELL Mrs. H. C. TIBBETTS
The President's Assembly, "The Alumnae of Clubs," so called by one of the founders, is an organization of club executives. All of the members are presidents or past presidents, not only of San Francisco and the bay cities, but of other clubs throughout the state.
Miss Christine Hart was the first president. Mrs. Harold Lawrence Seager carried the Presidents' Assembly through war times and has been one of the most efficient leaders.
The splendid programs presented under the auspices of the Presidents' Assembly Friday evenings at the Presidio Y. M. C. A. Building during two years of war times, have been rated as perhaps the best contributed by any one organization in the United States. This service has been continued since last September under the chairmanship of Mrs. A. W. Scott.
Many a mother, sister, and sweetheart of boys in Letterman Hospital found cozy and attractive the artistic sitting room furnished by the Assembly at the New Outside Inn, where they were domiciled during their stay in San Francisco. The writing room in the new Y. W. C. A. quarters was also furnished by the Assembly.
Contributions are made to the Travelers' Aid, Alice Frederick Memorial Fund, Maintenance Fund of the Palace of Fine Arts, and to the Near East Relief. Our local homeless children have in different ways been made happier through the generosity of the Presidents' Assembly.
Mrs. Louis Hertz, the president from 1918 to 1919, was supported by a staff including: Mrs. Harold Lawrence Seager, Mrs. Helen Ladd, Mrs. M. O. Austin, Miss Eleanor Grace Unger, Mrs. Josephine Wilson, and Mrs. Charles Wright.
Mrs. Harold Lawrence Seager, presiding from 1919 to 1921, had an executive board comprising: Mrs. M. O. Austin, Mrs. Jessica Lee Briggs, Mrs. Wallace R. Pond, Mrs. H. C. Jensen, Mrs. J. Delamater Jessup, and Mrs. F. H. Jones.
INTERNATIONAL SUNSHINE SOCIETY
The State of California is called the Sunshine State and although the work is new and I have not long been president, I want to report splendid work in all of the branches. The Pasadena branch has been extremely busy sewing for the Day Nurseries and for the Mexican Children. The Branch meets twice a month to sew for the Viva Sanitarium.
The Santa Monica branch is a live organization. The members have their beautiful Sunshine Home, which is paid for, and they raise money to meet other Sunshine work.
The Golden Gate branch of San Francisco has Mrs. F. C. Bennett, president, appointed organizer for that district is doing excellent work and increasing membership. The Golden Gate branch of San Francisco, the Pasadena branch and the Santa Monica branch have contributed $14.00 toward the State treasury fund.
MRS. GERTRUDE F. STEWART
COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN
PORTRAIT OF MRS. JULES KAUFFMAN
The Council of Jewish Women was organized at Chicago in 1893 at the World's Fair. The inspiration came from the call that had been sent to all countries to participate in a World's Parliament of Religions at the World's Fair. It was resolved on this occasion to arouse the interest of women in a congress of Jewish Women, and it was through this assembly that the Council of Jewish Women was called into being at the present time, nine National Committees, one Department, six National Committees, one Special Standing Committee, and two Special Committees, are associated with the National officers in directing the various phases of the Council's program.
The National Council now numbers one hundred and seventy-seven sections with approximately forty-five thousand members. The International activities of the Council have shown most excellent results. The Department of Immigrant Aid has been invaluable in cases requiring international co-operation and in its activities at Ellis Island.
The Los Angeles Section of the Council of Jewish Women, now numbering seven hundred and thirty members, was organized in 1909. It has formed its organization in harmony with the National body electing its own officers, appointing its own committees and conducting its own local work, in addition to its co-operation in national undertakings. The following Committees are now carrying on the work of the local section:
Religion-Promoting interest in Judaism.
Religious Schools--Organizing Religious Schools.
Social Welfare--Contributing to the support of philanthropic institutions and social welfare organizations.
Civic and Communal Affairs--Co-operating with all civic organizations, assisting community drives; urging beneficial civic legislation.
Immigrant Aid--Co-operating with National Department and extending assistance to all unprotected women.
Committee on Americanization--Promoting education and Americanization of immigrants.
Education--Establishing clubs, study circles, classes in parliamentary practice; has established a Scholarship.
We have sub-committees on: Purity of Press, Students' Welfare, Hospital Visiting, Juvenile Court Work, Soldiers' Welfare, Jewish War Orphans.
The Junior Council an Auxiliary of the Senior Section, has an enrollment of seventy-eight members, Mrs. Ethel Tyroler, president. Monthly general meetings are held when programs of the high order are presented. There is but one motive that animates the spirit of every Councilmember today. It is the thought that has inspired the earnest and consecrated labors of Israel's' noblest men and women: "The day is short; the work is great."
Though it is not incumbent upon us to complete the task, it is our sacred and joyous privilege to advance it. The greatest glories that can adorn the souls of our women are the blossoming fruits of "faith and humanity."
COUNCIL OF CATHOLIC WOMEN
Miss MARY L. PHELAN, 2150 Washington............................................Honorary President
Mrs. W. J. RUDDICK, 972 Bush..............................................................................President
Mrs. WM. SPROULE, 1150 Sacramento.................................................First Vice-President
Miss M. F. MULLEN, 2211 California...............................................Second Vice-President
Mrs. F. S. KELLY, 2925 Pierce...............................................................................Treasurer
Miss ALICE CONLON, 1494 McAllister................................................Recording Secretary
Miss LOUISE WINTERBURN, 1702 Union......................................Corresponding Secretary
In February, 1918, at the residence of Miss Mary Louise Phelan, 2150 Washington Street, forty-five women assembled to organize a club for Catholic women.
The club was named the San Francisco Council of Catholic Women, Its purpose is a development of literary and artistic tastes among the members with special attention to the achievements of the Catholic Church; also, the acquiring of general information on current events.
Miss Phelan offered the ballroom of her residence as a temporary meeting place for the new organization. This offer was gratefully accepted and the club continued to hold both business and social functions in Miss Phelan's ballroom until October 1919 when the fourth floor at 233 Grant Avenue was leased for a term of years. This floor has been entirely remodeled and attractively furnished and is the present home of the San Francisco Council.
To the interest and generosity of Miss Phelan, Honorary president, is greatly due the success of the organization.
Mrs. A. Comte Jr., was elected first president and served with marked success during the first two years of the club's life. During her administration the club was thoroughly organized and places on a permanent foundation. Mrs. W. J. Ruddick was elected third president assuming responsibility in June, 1921.
SIGNATURE OF ANNA H. HEGER
Mrs. D. C. Heger was elected second president and served for two years. During Mrs. Heger's administration the club acquired the present handsome home at 233 Grant Avenue and the membership was increased from on hundred and ten to two hundred and twenty.
Mrs. Garret McEnereny, who was elected to the presidency of the Council of Catholic Women at the annual May meeting, is one of the best known San Francisco women in literary, musical, philanthropic and society circles. Mrs. McEnerney is supported by the following staff of women: Honorary president, Miss Mary Louise Phelan; first vice-president, Mrs. D. C. Heger; second vice-president, Mrs. Wm. Sproule; third vice-president, Miss Florence Mullen; recording secretary, Mrs. F. J. Harper; corresponding secretary, Miss Louise Winterburn; financial secretary, Miss Mary Fay; treasurer, Mrs. Wm. Butler.
CATHOLIC PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB
Miss ELEANOR A. TIERNEY, 901 Taylor Street.....................................................President
Miss ANNE P. HUNT, 242 Wawona Street............................................First Vice-President
Miss CICELY O'CONNOR, 137 Third Avenue...................................Second Vice-President
Miss PAULINE DES ROCHES, 1323 Woolsey Street...............................................Treasurer
Miss JULIA BEGLEY, 240 11TH Avenue..............................................Recording Secretary
Miss GERTRUDE FLANAGAN, 330 Pierce Street............................Corresponding Secretary
Miss LOUISE DORAN, 330 Scott Street...................................................Assistant Secretary
Miss MARY HUNT, 2742 Grove Street, Oakland....................................Assistant Secretary
Miss NORA HUSSEY Miss MAY MCCARTHY
Miss EDITH FLEMING Miss DOROTHY MORAN Miss AGNES GALLAGHER
Miss GENEVIEVE CARROLL Miss HELEN O'MALLEY
The Catholic Professional Women's Club of San Francisco was founded in the year 1909 under the patronage of the late beloved Archbishop, Patrick W. Riordan. With his guidance and with the advice of a group of prominent citizens, headed by Mr. Richard E. Queen, a number of Catholic women met at the Cathedral residence and formed the organization with the central idea of bringing together the Catholic women graduates of Universities and Normal Schools who were engaged in the professional life of San Francisco, so that they might continue their cultural studies along Catholic lines and form closer bonds for mutual improvement.
At the same time all Catholic women students of Universities and Normal Schools who were residents of San Francisco were invited to join, thus giving the students the friendship of women already at work in the fields which, later, would be theirs.
The work of organization grew slowly and carefully because it was meant to be a permanent growth which must test every step of the way and prove the merit of its existence.
It has gone steadily along in its progress and holds in its membership, the active professional women, as the Catholic writer, artist, physician, teacher, nurse, attorney or social worker. These women are part of the constructive social life of San Francisco and live in the busy world. Their professional club is the Catholic haven to which they go for rest and inspiration. It holds up to them the Catholic ideal in daily life.
The club is unique in its idea of membership strictly on professional lines but that definite idea has proven to be its strength in bringing together Catholic professional women at hours convenient to their arduous duties, enabling them to discuss and to give concerted help to works needing professional guidance. The club stands ready to do its part in the constructive social work of the day.
SIGNATURE OF JULIA C. COFFEY
Miss Anne P. Hunt is the new
president of the club,
elected May, 1922
TEMPLE EMANU-EL GUILD
PORTRAIT OF MRS. HENRY SAHLEIN
The purpose of this organization is to assist in the promotion and welfare of Temple Emanu-El, particularly by developing a spirit of fellowship among the members of the congregation and by serving as an active auxiliary.
Eligible to membership in the Temple Emanu-El Guild are women members of the congregation, women employees and women relatives of members--women not affiliated with any other congregation or other auxiliaries.
The Guild has been organized but four years and has a membership approximating five hundred.
It is a member of the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods, the principal work of which is to advance the Hebrew Union College situated in Cincinnati, where the rabbis occupying the pulpits of the reformed synagogues throughout the country are educated.
One of the principal activities of the Guild, composing the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods, is to raise scholarships to help students through a nine years course of study.
At present this Guild is campaigning for the quota to be raised for a fund to be devoted toward the building of a dormitory on the campus at Cincinnati. In fact, all the activities are sectarian, making every effort to guard against duplication of the work of other local organizations.
MRS. HENRY SAHLEIN
Emanu-El Sisterhood--a world of sisterly tenderness and consideration encompasses the Emanu-El Sisterhood.
Miss Ethel Feineman, the head worker of the Sisterhood, is a young woman of efficient executive ability, keen intelligence, and warm sympathies, whose understanding has increased the great social work carried on there as a great upbuilding force for the womanhood of the community.
The Emanu-El Sisterhood house at 1037 Steiner Street accommodates thirty-five working girls of the Jewish faith, with the addition of the cottage across the street used as an annex. But there is always a long waiting list of girls, and the present building does not meet the demands. So a new structure is being erected on Page and Laguna Streets. This new building will be one of the most modern buildings of its kind and will accommodate sixty girls.
Once a year during the Succoth Festival, a pageant is presented by the Emanu-El Sisterhood with hundreds of girls in the cast. This pageant carries a message of biblical teachings, talented young women essaying the roles with skill and reverence. During the vacation summer season, the Emanu-El Sisterhood maintains a cottage in Larkspur. All of the girls living at the Sisterhood house pay their board, pay their other individual expenses and maintain a self-supporting attitude, generally. The Sisterhood is an Auxiliary of the Federation of Jewish Charities.
COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN
PORTRAIT OF MRS. JULIUS L. BAER
Twenty-one years ago three hundred women assembled in the auditorium of the Old Temple Emanu-El to hear Miss Sadie American explain the aims, hopes, and purposes of the Council of Jewish Women. Today, the San Francisco section numbers one thousand two hundred and fifty.
This increase in membership, according to the historian, Mrs. Hattie Neumann, may justly be attributed to the presidents, who through their executive ability and constructive foresight, have helped build the Council up to its present standard. These presidents include: Mrs. Max C. Sloss, Mrs. Andrew Davis, Mrs. Louis Gertz, Miss Evelyn Aronson, Mrs. D. S. Hirschberg, Mrs. J. C. Levy, Mrs. Myer Friedman, Mrs. Frank Neumann, Miss Ada Goldsmith, Mrs. Henry Sahlein, Mrs. I. R. Kissel, Mrs. Samuel Langer, Mrs. S. S. Kahn, and Mrs. Julius Baer.
The most important work is Americanization classes, conducted by Mrs. Newmark. Other important divisions of our activities are: Immigrant Aid, conducted by Mrs. Max C. Sloss and her committee; Social Welfare, supervised by Mrs. J. L. Goodday and her large committee. This department includes clinical care of crippled children, the deaf and hard of hearing; providing relief mothers for the Pacific Hebrew Orphanage, and sewing and mending mothers; dispersing a Memorial Fund as a loan to Jewish girls following a business course of study; supplying milk to three hundred under-weight children in the John Swett and Henry Durant Schools; sending books to institutions; Good Cheer packages to Jewish inmates of the State Institution; furnishing relief for the blind in the State Institution; and co-operating for the advancement of handicapped children in the public schools, as well as working with the Tuberculosis Association.
Do you know that the National Council of Jewish Women received Government recognition, and was the only organization permitted to work at Ellis Island during the war? Do you know that during the Panama-Pacific International Exposition we received the Gold Meal and Blue Ribbon for our work in Social Economy?
Do you know what the San Francisco Council has done?
Do you know:
That we are actively carrying on Americanization work at the Y. M. H. A. Building, Haight Street?
That we were the first organization in San Francisco to support a home visiting teacher--work now taken over by the Board of Education?
That we had an active worker for Immigration Aid at this port for a number of years?
That the Red Cross work done by this Section ranked highest in quality and in quantity?
That we established a neighborhood house on San Bruno Avenue and conducted it successfully for ten years--work now taken over by the San Bruno Community House?
That we are affiliated with civic organizations in San Francisco and co-operate whenever a need arises?
That we give financial support to many local philanthropic organizations?
Our Motto--"Faith and Humanity."
SIGNATURE OF MABEL SWEET BAER.
CATHOLIC WOMEN'S CLUB
Mrs. M. JOSEPH MC GARRY, 2123 Estrella Avenue..............................................President
Mrs. DENNIS KEARNEY, 1144 Elden Avenue.......................................First Vice-President
Mrs. THOMAS SCOTT, 1212 Arapahoe..............................................Second Vice-President
Mrs. EDWARD J. RODDIN, 2219 W. 16th...............................................................Secretary
Mrs. ALBERT MUCK, 1245 1/2 El Molino.....................................Corresponding Secretary
Miss NELL REARDON, 1323 W. 8th.......................................................................Treasurer
Although the year 1921-22 marks only the sixth year of it existence this club has a membership of about eight hundred with an auxiliary of one hundred and twenty-five young girls. We have eleven different departments, Citizenship, Current topics, Dramatic, French, History and Landmarks, Italian, Literature, Music, Parliamentary Law, Public Welfare and Philanthropy.
We have a splendid building site, bought and paid for, and by the close of the year will have twelve thousand dollars in our building fund.
We made the largest contribution of garments to the Needlework Guild of any single club in Los Angeles and our sale of Red Cross memberships was most gratifying. We maintain a twenty-five dollar membership in the Los Angeles Musical Settlement and along philanthropic lines try to do our bit in contributing to all worthy causes and do much immediate relief work.
Resolutions favoring disarmament and world-peace were adopted and sent to President Harding and Secretary Hughes, chairman of the Disarmament Conference.
We publish a splendid monthly bulletin containing valueable federation news articles of interest to women, our programs and club news.
We meet every first and third Wednesday at the Knights of Columbus Auditorium, 612 South Flower Street, when splendid musical and literary programs are presented. We try to have as many good speakers appear as we can to keep us in touch with the worth-while activities that are going on about us.
Each year our music section gives a big concert which yields in the neighborhood of two thousand dollars. This year our Christmas sale netted eighteen hundred and seventy-five dollars.
Last year our social service committee expended seven hundred and seventy-five dollars. Four hundred and twenty eight garments were distributed and twelve hundred seventy-seven visits were made to the jail and to the sick.
SIGNATURE OF EVELYN McGARRY,
Mrs. ANDREW NEUENBERG, 246 Cabrillo Street......................................................President
Mrs. F. WESLEY CARPENTER, 1035 Bush Street.............................Corresponding Secretary
Miss FRANCES MEEKER, 3025 21st Street..............................................First Vice-President
Mrs. ROBERT ARMSTRONG DEAN, 1034 Vallejo Street......................Second Vice-President
Mrs. ANNETTE ABBOTT ADAMS, 345 Locust..................................Honorary Vice-President
Mrs. H. A. BYRNES, 1691 18th Avenue...............................................Recording Secretary
Miss ALICE CLEARY, 565 Eureka..........................................................................Treasurer
Mrs. A. S. MUSANTE, 1821 Jones.............................................................................Auditor
Mrs. HAMILTON RIGGINS, 241 16th Avenue...............................................Parliamentarian
The San Francisco Housewives' League has enrolled many prominent suffrage workers, some of them being California pioneers in the campaign for State suffrage and national figures in the struggle for enfranchisement.
All of the Housewives' League members are as proud of their ability to cook as they are of their leadership work or other achievements. Mrs. Ida Finney Mackrille, known as the "Woman Orator of the West," is one of the chief bread-making members. Mrs. Alfred McLaughlin, prominent among the University women of California, and a past president of the San Francisco Center of the California Civic League of Women Voters is one of the brilliant members whose pride is first and foremost, a well-ordered home. All of the women of the San Francisco Housewives' League are active in creating renewed desires for the culinary art among club women. Recipes and economic measures are topics of discussion taking precedence over other considerations, whenever the Housewives' League hold their sessions.
At many of their luncheons zest is added to their studies and practical demonstrations by the test of minimum prices for meals. Oftimes, the number of dishes, according to caloric values, are in accord with a system of securing a palatable meal for the least expenditure. Luncheons given on these occasions when lawyers, doctors, society and club women congregate to test the cooking of confreres, are quite the smartest events in local club circles.
Meetings are held in the California Club building, at 1750 Clay Street, where kitchen facilities make it easy for housewives to convince guests of their art in preparing and in serving meals best suited for the purse or the taste of the individual.
Mrs. Andrew Neuenberg, president of the Housewives' League, was campaign manager for Margaret Mary Morgan, the first woman supervisor of San Francisco.
Mrs. Annette Abbott Adams, honorary vice-president of the Housewives' League of San Francisco, former United States Attorney of San Francisco and Assistant United States Attorney-General, is well known among her intimate friends for the excellence of her biscuits. Mrs. Suzanna Bolles, second vice-president of the San Francisco Housewives' League is a practicing attorney, of San Francisco.
The Juvenile Protective Association has a work to do which no other organization seems to be able to master. This is due to the fact that men and women trained for the part they essay in protective work among the young men and the young women know exactly what methods to follow in coping with juvenile digressions.
To protect the youth is a purpose of the Association. For that purpose are they banded together and when they meet they discuss the best means for combating those evils which assail every normal boy or girl, unless home influences or early training have safeguarded them.
The officers of the Juvenile Protective Association are among the best known citizens of the community. The workers are well known in point of directness and purpose.
"To be a friend of the boy, is to gain his confidence; to merit the confidence of a girl is to be her friend."
Miss Julia George is the president of the Juvenile Protective Association. Mrs. William L. Hyman is the first vice-president; Mrs. Paul Downing is the second vice-president; and Miss May F. Hallet, the secretary, has served in this official capacity over a period of many years. Offices are maintained in the Phelan Building where information on all matters pertaining to the Juvenile Protective work is available.
WOMAN'S VIGILANT COMMITTEE
PORTRAIT OF DR. MARIANA BERTOLA
When, at a time in the annals of civic history, the hearts of San Francisco mothers were touched with sorrowing pity and their dignities aroused over outrages committed by a number of gangsters, there arose in the community a concerted group of women determined to protect the young girls of the community. Like the Vigilant Committee of early days, these women, were assembled with haste, determined to find out ways and means for the prevention of similar things.
This committee of women led by the valiant leader, Dr. Mariana Bertola, met in the assembly hall of the Phelan Building, November, 1921, and then and there formed themselves into a Woman's Vigilant Committee.
Keeping vigilance was but one phase of their noble work. Protecting young girls, with the strong hope and ardent zeal of preventing the repetition of any such blot on the escutcheons of the city, prompted their gatherings.
After a time, the meetings so grew in interest and size,. that larger quarters were necessary. So the California Club at 1750 Clay Street was offered to them and there the Woman's Vigilant Committee meet, as they have for many months past.
All of the meetings are devoted to careful consideration of each case or circumstance as the various sub-committees report. All of the considerations are weighed in tender concern with authentic deliberations and advices from those in authority as the most efficient means of meeting each situation. Whatever touches the life of the girl or the boy, whatever enters into the home-life of the community, whatever affects the welfare of the commonwealth, in a civic, a social or a moral way--these engage the strict attention of the Woman's Vigilant Committee.
BERTOLA ASSEMBLY OF CALIFORNIA
The Bertola Assembly of California Women was founded by Mrs. Emma R. O'Donnell. In tribute to Dr. Mariana Bertola, past-grand president of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, this organization of California women was named by the founder. Mrs. M. Lawrence Nelson is president of the Bertola Assembly of California, Mrs. George Springer is the treasurer; Mrs. John Boege, recording secretary and Mrs. William H. Urmy is the corresponding secretary.
Prominent members include Mrs. Stephen Simmons, Mrs. Ella Lees Leigh, Mrs. Isabelle Pomeroy, Mrs. E. J. Wales, Mrs. Stanley Vernon Wilson, Mrs. I. A. Schlarlin, Mrs. H. Bloom, Mrs. C. E. Hoss, Mrs. E. Parrish, Mrs. E. J. Barton, Mrs. Mary Coghlan, Mrs. Cordes. Mrs. William Harold Wilson is an honorary member.
Meetings are held at the Native Sons' Building, 414 Mason Street. Subjects like American Citizenship are discussed under such leaders as Mrs. E. J. Wales, of the San Francisco District Federations, and kindred themes by other women of state prominence and community interests form the motif of the interesting days devoted to historical and geographical studies.
Dr. Mariana Bertola is the Honorary President of the Bertola Assembly of California Women.
CZECHO-SLOVAK WOMEN'S CLUB
PORTRAIT OF MISS MARGARET MIRIAM KRASK
American ideals, and everything pertaining to the moral and material benefit of the community are purposes on which the Czecho-Slovak Women's Club major in their collective work.
Our women are women of the home whose first duty is toward the upbuilding of the home as the safe-guard of the nation. We teach our women of the younger generation some of the ideals inculcated in our national and community life. We aim toward that perquisite as essential to our development.
Many of our women are expert needleworkers and, on various occasions, exhibits of their work have been given.
One of the principal aims of the club is to bring all the Czecho-Slovak women of San Francisco and the Bay counties together that they may co-operate with the other women's clubs in movements for civic improvement. It is also the aim of the club to create a better understanding between the American-born and the Czecho-Slovak women by an interchange of what is best in art, music, literature, history and the economic and commercial development of both countries.
The Czecho-Slovak Women's Club was organized in 1920 at a meeting held at the Fairmont Hotel, May 24, ten charter members forming the membership enrollment.
MARGARET MIRIAM KRSAK.
The P.E.O. Sisterhood represents a group of women who devote time, thought, and energy to cultural pursuits and philanthropic work. Meetings are held at the homes of members with a scheduled course of study for the day's discussion. When the time is opportune, or the occasion requires their attention, charitable work is introduced under the supervision of the women comprising the personnel of the P. I. O. Sisterhood. The organization is a secret one, only those initiated into the order being cognizant of its full import and procedure.
Mrs. Lola P. Bennett, president of California State Chapter, was born in Michigan. She was graduated from Iowa State University with degree B. S. and was a member of Pi Beta Phi. For several years she was associate professor of Chemistry at Iowa State College. At that time she became a member of P. E. O. in Chapter A. Ames, Iowa.
In 1913 she moved to Orange, California, and a year later was admitted to Chapter S, California.
Mrs. Bennett has filled all the offices in a local chapter and has been corresponding secretary and vice-president of the State Chapter before her election to the presidency. She is a member of the Woman's Club of Orange, a member of the Board of Trustees of the City Library and is president of the Board of Trustees of the Intermediate Schools of Orange. She is a most efficient woman as this record shows.
Chapter A. M., San Francisco P. E. O., is headed by Mrs. Mildred W. Clemens, president, who has been elected to office for three consecutive years. Other members of the Chapter are: Mrs. May B. Chaplin, vice-president; Mrs. Florence McArthur, recording secretary; Mrs. Daisy P. Crocker, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Grace M. Ogden, treasurer; Miss Alice P. Bowen, chaplain; Mrs. Estelle O. Hyde, guard. Mrs. Dixie C. Samuels is chairman of the program committee. Others on the committee are: Mesdames H. E. Waring, Estelle O. Hyde, C. H. Todd and Miss Alice P. Bowen. Heading the courtesy committee are Mesdames Ogden and McArthur. Pianist, Mrs. Elmendorf; historian, Mrs. C. A. Nance; parliamentarian, Mrs. H. E. Waring.
Mrs. I. LOWENBERG, Clift Hotel............................................................Honorary President
Mrs. RICHARD NEWMAN, 68 Palm Avenue...........................................................President
Mrs. WM. HYMAN, 2410 Steiner...........................................................First Vice-President
Mrs. SAMUEL KIRSCHFELDER..........................................................Second Vice-President
Miss HATTIE SHEIDEMAN, 2101 Pacific Avenue..................................................Treasurer
Mrs. BERTHOLD GUGGENHIME, Fairmont Hotel....................................Business Secretary
Miss ANITA LEVY, Bellevue Hotel.......................................................Recording Secretary
Mrs. MAX BLUMLEIN, 358 Arguello Boulevard...........................Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. OSCAR HOFFMAN Miss REBECCA JACOBS
Mrs. BENJAMIN ARNHOLD Mrs. J. J. EPPINGER
Mrs. AMANDA SCHLESINGER, Education Mrs. EUGENE ELKUS, Music
Mrs. Myer Friedman, one of the presidents of the Philomath Club gave a comprehensive report to the City Federation during her term of office in which she defined, at that time, the work of the Philomath Club. This excellent report is quoted, in part, as follows: In 1894, Mrs. Isadore Lowenberg, assisted by Mesdames Helen Hecht, A. S. Bettleheim, William Haas, J. H. Neustadter, Charles L. Ackerman, Moses Heller, S. Nickelsburg, and Mrs. H. Anspacher-Meters, organized the Philomath Club. Its object was "to encourage literary and educational pursuits and to promote civic ideals." A broad and comprehensive platform twenty-six years ago, it is still big enough to carry the widening activities of a new generation.
The keynote during recent years has been Service and Philomath Club gave of itself without stint. The splendid Red Cross Auxiliary sent many hundreds, yes thousands of garments to Red Cross headquarters.
The first recipient of Philomath Club's eighth grade scholarship is self-supporting and since then other girls have been put through high school. Americanization work has been a great factor for Philomath activity through all the administrations. The club adopted a number of French orphans.
To cultural aims Philomath has contributed carefully planned programs; momentary aid to its library fund, to the Public Educational Society, and to many other worthy projects, always with the purpose and the principles of Philomath primarily behind the work. The Mary Prag Scholarship, the Roosevelt Memorial Fund, the Alice Fredericks Memorial Fund, Korean Relief, the Palestinian Supply Committee, the Edith Cavell and Marie de Page Hospital of Belgium, the Near East Relief, Palestinian Restoration Fund, the International Longfellow Society, have received the support of Philomath Club. Six members volunteered for service on Dr. Anne Nicholson's Americanization Court Committee. Its bi-monthly programs touched on topics of live interest, music, drama, and politics. Philomath is a member of The Recreation League and is interested in movements of social and communal concern.
New officers of the Philomath Club elected at the annual meeting, May, 1922, following the administration of Mrs. Richard Newman and her executive staff include the following: Mrs. Charles Schlesinger, president; Mrs. William L. Hyman, first vice-president; Mrs. Samuel Hirschfelder, second vice-president; Mrs. Joseph I. Cahen, business secretary; Miss Anita Levy, recording secretary; Mrs. Max Blumlein, corresponding secretary; and Mrs. Benjamin Arnhold, Mrs. Oscar Hoffman, Mrs. Julius Feigenbaum, Mrs. H. G. W. Dinkelspiel, directors; and Mrs. Julius Kahn, Mrs. Caspar Rosenheim, and Miss Rebecca Godchaux, honorary members.
THREE ARTS CLUB
Mrs. WILLIAM N. GOODWIN, Hotel Darby............................................................President
Mrs. J. WELLS SMITH, 3512 So. Flower................................................First Vice-President
Mrs. GODFREY HOLTERHOFF, Jr., 1360 W. Adams.........................Second Vice-President
Mrs. WILLIAM A. EDWARDS, 3406 W. Adams...................................Third Vice-President
Mrs. A. B. MACBETH, 1030 So. Magnolia...........................................Recording Secretary
Mrs. OSCAR ROGERS............................................................................Recording Secretary
Mrs. H. E. INSLEY, 1232A W. 5th..........................................................................Treasurer
Mrs. W. W. BURTON Mrs. BENJAMIN GOLDMAN Mrs. ROB WAGNER
Mrs. CHAUNCEY CLARKE Mrs. JAMES MOORE Mrs. E. T. PETTIGREW
Mrs. WESLEY CLARK Mrs. DAN MURPHY Mrs. JULIA BRACKEN WENDT
Mrs. JAMES DONOVAN Mrs. H. D. SCHROEDER Miss MARY WORKMAN
Mrs. GEORGE W. FISHBURN Mrs. KATHERINE SHARP Mrs. KENNETH B. WALLACE
Miss MARGARET GOETZ Mrs. OSCAR TRIPPET Mrs. W. T. WYATT
The Three Arts Club of Los Angeles, like those of Paris, London, New York, Cincinnati and Chicago, has for its object the promotion of artistic opportunities for young students of music, painting, the drama and kindred arts; and to provide a home and clubhouse for members.
Following a year's work devoted to the creation of an interest in the idea of a Three Arts Club for our city, which is rapidly becoming an art center, and to obtain memberships, we were able to undertake a residence. In July we moved into our present quarters, 1001 West Washington Street.
We have had in residence, during this first year, twenty students from seven states including our own. The arts of music, painting and the drama are about equally represented.
Resident students are under the supervision of a capable, sympathetic house director. This plan insures for the students an attractive home life, opportunity to entertain friends, and fosters helpful suggestions and encouragement in their work.
In addition to the resident members we have a large non-resident student membership. These have all the privileges of the club. The Sunday afternoon teas and programs, as well as concerts, plays and lectures for which tickets are sent in by friends of the club.
The Sunday afternoon programs are arranged with special attention to students' studies in their respective lines of work, and fosters inspiration gained from contact with those who are "on their way," or who have "arrived."
The Board of Directors is convinced that this initial year has proved the necessity for providing a safe home and artistic environment for young women who, coming to this art center in pursuit of their studies, look forward to owning their own clubhouse where a larger number of students may find home influence amid the joy of group-life.
MRS. W. N. GOODWIN.
Mothers of students at the University of California, Berkeley, comprise the personnel of this mothers' club, the first one of its kind to be formed in America according to our authentic information.
As the enrollment of students at the University of California has been, at many of the college semesters the largest in the country, peculiar attachment is noted in the membership enrollment. Then, too, as a great number of students come from distances, many, in fact from various parts of the nation, many from foreign lands, their mothers affiliated with the University Mothers' Club form a great chain of federation, the length and breadth of which can hardly be encompassed in roster form.
Many of the mothers meet under the great influence of college life. Some of these mothers take special courses of study and others of them enter into the college activities through channels alloted to parenthood. Thus is maintained and sustained a club of mothers and students of distinction.
At the Claremont Hotel, recently, a new staff of officers was elected, the occasion being a delightful luncheon on the sun veranda of the Claremont amid flowering roses and other fragrant blossoms. Tribute was paid at this time to the influence of the late Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst. Dr. Aurelia Henry Reinhardt was the speaker of the day and Lucy Ward Stebbins, Dean of Women, University of California, was an honor guest.
Mrs. Josephine B. Perry is president of the University Mothers' Club. Other officers are: Mrs. Finlay Cook, first vice-president; Mrs. R. W. Richards, second vice-president; Mrs. Agnes Weatherby, third-vice-president; Mrs. D. T. Duel, recording secretary; Mrs. P. W. Dunyon, corresponding secretary; Mrs. W. R. Drake, treasurer; Mrs. W. H. Berteaux, financial secretary; Mrs. L. Van Haren, assistant financial secretary; Mrs. J. M. Brown, custodian of Pins; Mrs. E. M. Elliott, press correspondent.
"What art so deep, what science so high,
But worthy women have thereto attained?
Who list in stories old to look may try,
And find my speech herein, not false nor fain'd."
"The Spinners" is a club of women writers, musicians, literary leaders and women of extensive reading and travel. The club was organized in San Francisco by Miss Sara Dean, her idea being to assemble young women working along artistic lines who would be willing to present the work they were doing to fellow workers for criticism and for encouragement. The first officers were: Miss Sara Dean, president; Mrs. Frank Powers, vice-president; Miss Millicent Cosgrove, secretary; Miss Ednah Robinson, treasurer. Prominent women among the members were: Mrs. Franklin K. Lane, Mrs. Mark Gerstle, Mrs. Robert Forsythe, Mrs. Henry St. Goar, Mrs. Lola Sleuth, Miss Alice Chittenden, Mrs. Carmichael Carr, Miss Ina Coolbrith, Miss Helen Hyde, Miss Mabel Gross, Miss Eleanor Morgan, Mrs. Ernest Simpson, Mrs. Reginald Knight Smith, Mrs. E. W. Stebbins, Mrs. Russell Selfridge, Mrs. Charles Sawyer, Miss Maude Wellendorff, Mrs. William R. Wheeler, Mrs. Conrad Weil, Mrs. Clarence Wetmore, Mrs. R. A. Wilson, Miss Marie Withrow, Miss Evelyn Withrow, Miss Netterville, Mrs. Warren Wilken, Eleanore Gates Moore. Geraldine Bonner was one of the first members. The most recent event of The Spinners was given at the Fairmont Hotel on Thursday, February 9, 1922, in compliment to Miss Sara Dean the founder. Mrs. Mark Gerstle, the president, presided Mrs. A. E. Graupner, the treasurer, assisted.
"Give the people plenty of cultural things and there need be no dearth of attainment; supply a community with plenty of beauty and evil will vanish from their sight."
Philosophy of this nature is radiated by women representing the arts. Mrs. Josephine Swan White, of Oakland, with her classical cantillations; Miss Ida May Bradley, Oakland; Mrs. Oscar Maillard Bennett, Berkeley; Miss Mae Frances O'Keeffe, Miss Ethel Cotton, San Francisco; Mrs. Minna McGauley, of Fruitvale, contemporaneous exponents of the beauty of the spoken word; Mrs. Bradford Woodbridge, Roseville, who has sponsored splendid musicales; and Miss Alice Seckels, who has originated "matinee musicales," throughout the entire state with world-famous artists programmed; and Miss Marie Hughes McQuarrie, harpist--are among the women whose appreciation of cultural things is evidenced by their general dissemination of music, literature and kindred arts in rural, as well as in urban communities.
Something unusual in the conferring of diplomas took place at the Letterman General Hospital, Presidio, San Francisco, when 108 graduate nurses received their certificates from Surgeon General Merritte W. Ireland, U. S. A.
This "historic class of the Army School of Nursing" were given their valuable diplomas on July 14, 1921. It was the first group of nurses that has ever been trained under governmental control and the only class that has ever been a part of a training school which is connected with the army. This group and this event can never be duplicated, according to Major Julia C. Stimson, superintendent of the Army Nurse Corps and dean of the Army School of Nursing. Miss Annie K. Goodrich was the organizer of the Army School of Nursing and the first dean of the school. Miss Goodrich went back to her former position as assistant professor in the department of Nursing and Health at Columbia University, as soon as the nurses received their diplomas.
Scholarships established by the Red Cross to enable nurses to continue special lines of study for a year were awarded at the ceremonies of the Letterman Hospital graduation to Eudora C. Dickason, and to Louise Hast Bruce.
Mrs. Kennedy, wife of Colonel James M. Kennedy, the commanding officer at the Letterman General Hospital, and Mrs. A. H. Flash, chief nurse, were among the prominent women who participated in the memorable ceremonies.
With one year's service as a member of the Army Nurse Corps during the world war to her credit, Miss Marian A. Hill, of Oakland, is the first veteran in the State of California to receive the benefits of the California Home and Land Act. Enlisting in the Army Nurse Corps from Merced near her birthplace, on July 5, 1918, Miss Hill served one year and fifteen days at Ft. Douglas, Arizona. Miss Hill received her home during the month of July, 1922.
Miss Julia Hinkle, director of instruction, San Francisco Chapter, American Red Cross, was one of the head instructors during the training of nurses on Presidio grounds. During that time several hundred women from San Francisco, Oakland, San Mateo and adjacent cities took the full course of training and were given their certificates for nurses' aide.
In her report of the San Francisco Chapter, American National Red Cross work as carried on in the Civic Auditorium building of the Red Cross, Miss Julia Hinkle has prepared a brief outline for "Who's Who Among the Women of California" as follows:
On March 30, 1917, the San Francisco Chapter of the American Red Cross opened class rooms at 278 Post Street to teach First Aid and Home Hygiene and Care of the Sick. Because of the large number of doctors and nurses volunteering for war service, it was essential that women be taught to meet emergencies, and to care for the sick in their homes in the absence of professional care. These classes have proved of such interest and the instruction of such value in the community, they are still continued. There are a thousand people taking the instruction in San Francisco at the present time, while 3025 have taken the instruction in First Aid, and 3023 in Home Hygiene.
This includes people of all classes and ages. Women, girls and children in Community Center, girls and boys in High Schools, Junior R. O. T. C. boys, groups of people from the Y. W. C. A. and Y. M. C. A., Salvation Army lads and lassies, classes from the Pacific Coast Methodist Training School, Masters, Mates, and Pilots of the Merchant Marine Service and last, but not least, classes of colored women who take great interest in the work. Out of the First Aid work has developed Water First Aid with regular classes in Life-Saving with the forming of three chartered life-saving corps, one, men's; and two, women's, with a membership of two hundred and eighty-eight.
Prominent women on the board of directors include: Mrs. Max C. Sloss, Mrs. Prentiss Cobb Hale, Mrs. A. S. Baldwin, Mrs. George Cameron, Miss Alice Griffith, Mrs. Thurlow McMullin, Mrs. T. M. Potts, Mrs. Latham McMullin, Mrs. James Rolph Jr., wife of the Mayor of San Francisco.
THE YOUNG WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN
ASSOCIATION ON THE PACIFIC COAST
The Young Women's Christian Association nationally and internationally has become more publicly known since the war, and here on the coast with its immigration station on Angel Island, its club house on the Zone for the girls of the Amusement Concessions during the Exposition, and its more recent Studio Club at Hollywood for the girls in the movies, it has come in for its share of the public interest.
A place to live, a place to eat and a place to play and find friends have been offered by this organization in communities wherever there are girls. In the State of California: Fresno, Hollywood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pasadena, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and San Pedro, and the towns of Eureka, Redlands, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Vellejo, are affiliated with the National organization. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno and Oakland have special branches for foreign born girls, and San Francisco and Los Angeles, each has eight centers. The summer Conferences for Christian training have grown from the summer of 1912, when Mrs. Phoebe A. Hearst prepared on the grounds at Hacienda a tented city for three hundred delegates, to the erection of eight permanent buildings at Asilomar--three miles from Del Monte--on a grant of land containing fifty acres, given by the Pacific Improvement Company. The Phoebe A. Hearst Social Hall, the Mary A. Crocker Dining Hall, Scripps Hall and the Grace H. Dodge Memorial Chapel are beautiful monuments to the generosity of the donors, and to the architectural imagination and skill of the designer, Miss Julia Morgan. This "Retreat by the Sea" has brought rest, refreshment and inspiration to thousands of girls all over California, and though owned by the National young Women's Christian Association is available for the use of other organizations.
Pasadena's new building is nearing completion, and on May 15 Los Angeles opened a splendidly equipped headquarters building. Thousands of girls all over the state are enrolled either in industrial clubs or in corps of Girl Reserves--the name given to the young business and school girl groups. Their programmes include activities of body, mind and spirit.
Sympathetic leadership and direction for these growing girls brings and incalculable asset to the community, and this organization which is not a club, not a creed, but a comradeship based upon the democracy of a common faith is becoming a power among the girls of many nations.
Among the many women prominently connected with the management of the organization on the Coast are Mrs. John F. Merrill, Chairman of the Exposition work and Committee of One Hundred; and Mrs. Benjamin I. Wheeler, of the Asilomar Committee. The recent Chairmen of the State wide work include, Mrs. Walter Barnwell, Mrs. Laurence Draper, and Mrs. Warren Olney, Jr.
Regional headquarters are at 800 California--Pacific Building, 105 Montgomery Street, San Francisco.
EDITH N. STANTON,
National Young Women's Christian Association.
Very large group photo
Courtesy, Pacific Golf and Motor.
Left to (standing)--Mrs. C. F. Ford, Mrs. Max Rothschild, Mrs. T. S. Baker, Mrs. Eli H
Wiel, Mrs. Dorothy Hill, Mrs. H. Minot, Mrs. D. P. Fredericks, Mrs. A. B. Watson,
Mrs. A. B. Seinerton, Mrs. H. L. Slosson, Mrs. W. F. McGee, Mrs. I. M. Green, Mrs.
Von Schmeling, Mrs. Waldeyer, Mrs. Braddock, Mrs. M. Bernard, Mrs. J. M. Yount,
Mrs. Brent Potter, Mrs. J. M. Reimers, Mrs. Karl M. Anderson, Miss May Hayes.
Middle row--Miss Margaret Cameron, "Bobs," Mrs. Wm. Johnsone.
Lower row--Mrs. H. F. Anderson, Mrs. A. R. Pommer, Mrs. L. E. W. Pioda, Mrs. H. E.
Law, Mrs. W. C. Van Antwerp, Miss Alice Hanchett, Miss Cornelia O'Connor, Mrs.
R. A. Roos, Mrs. H. H. Scott, Miss Lucy Hanchett, Mrs. Phil Wand, Mrs. Gerald
Mack, Mrs. Mead Hamilton, Mrs. C. H. Terry.
Woman’s golf in California is on a par with that of any other section of the country, with the possible exception of New York, which has the advantage of being able to draw upon a much larger circle of clubs. It has been claimed, and there is some reason in the claim, that the women golfers of the San Francisco Golf and Country Club, can hold their own in team match competition with any club team in America. Taking ten as the number selected golfers we have Mrs. Hubert E. Law, Mrs. W. C. Van Antwerp, Mrs. Charles F. Ford, Mrs. Thomas S. Baker, Mrs. A. R. Pommer, Miss Alice Hanchett, Miss Lucy Hanchett, Mrs. Alfred B. Siwnerton, Mrs. H. Francis Anderson, and Miss Josephine Moore. All of these players are bonafide members of the San Francisco club who compete regularly in the competitions scheduled on the new Ingleside links.
In Eastern competition, California golfers have not made a particularly brilliant showing, but very few of them have persistently essayed to gather representative honors in the golfing land east of the Rockies. Mrs. W. C. Van Antwerp (as Miss Edith S. Chesebrough) made two attempts in the National championship but failed to show anything like her real form. Mrs. Hubert Law competed once for the title and was defeated in the first round by a Mrs. Galt, an unknown player at that time, but who has since proved herself to be one of the best competition players in the country. Miss Doreen Kavanaugh, the present title holder of California, did very well in the Western and was selected in the West vs. East matches. Mrs. Luther Kennett and Mrs. Hubert Law, both former holders of the California title, were selected as reserves on the West team. The Hanchett sisters did remarkably well in France and England last year. In fact these two Santa Cruz girls have given more encouragement to women golfers in “this neck of the woods” than anyone else to date. More competition with our Eastern sisters should and would doubtless give us our place among the “Golfing Greats of America.”
In the southern part of the state there are several very good golfers who have carried off most of the honors of the state during the past few years. They are Miss Doreen Kavanaugh, Mrs. Luther Kennett, Miss Margaret Cameron, and Miss Mary Browne, who was the Southern California golf champion but is even more famous as an exponent of the tennis racquet, with which she has won many national championships. Mrs. E. R. Williams and Miss Katherine Mellus have also shown up quite prominently in representative competition.
In addition to the “big ten” of the San Francisco Golf and Country Club, the North is possessed of a few golfers who play consistently well in competition. They are Mrs. Robert A. Roos, Mrs. Milton Bernard, Mrs. Max Rothchild, and Miss Gwen Parks.
A tribute by “Bobs,” expert on Golf and special writer on golf, tennis, polo, ¾and one of the recognized authorities on out-door sports in America.
Tennis in California is so vitally a part of the athletic history of the state and so pronouncedly a source of pride in the land of the Golden West that it is with consistent concern women champions are named and their radiant records placed before the scrutiny of critics and devotees.
Mrs. May Sutton Bundy, of California, whose home is in Los Angeles, was for a number of years “greatest woman tennis player in the world.” She held the title season after season. It was frequently said: “The playing of May Sutton was nothing short of phenomenal.” Up to last year her devotion to home ties and the rearing of a family of four lovely children, three boys and a girl, precluded her appearance in state or national contests although Mrs. Bundy has always maintained her “love of the game.”
Now come dispatches from New York, as we go to press, stating that Mrs. Thomas C. Bundy, nee Sutton, and Miss Mary K. Browne, former national champion and Pacific Coast players will compete in the woman’s national tennis tournament to be played in Forest Hills, New York, beginning August 14, 1922. This announcement was formally made by United States Tennis Association officials upon receipt of word from Dr. Sumner Hardy, president of the California Lawn Tennis Association.
The coming back of May Sutton Bundy into the national tournament contests is heralded from one end of the continent to the other. In writing of her a contemporary said: “Last summer Mrs. Bundy came back as no other woman has ever done in the history of tennis. That a mother of four children who has been out of competitive tennis for a number of years should reach the semi-finals of the national was a feat unheard of. But Mrs. Bundy accomplished it when she reached the threshold of the championship of the United States.”
That the “Sutton Sisters” have written their names indelibly on the escutcheons of the tennis world is evidenced in the reappearance of the great California favorite in the forthcoming national game. Violet Sutton (Boeg) and May Sutton (Bundy) were the great drawing cards which packed the tennis grounds in the early history of the sport and the interest the public still maintains in their “drives” presages the value of Mrs. Bundy’s welcome “return.” It is interesting perhaps to review again with a contemporary who said: “Should Mrs. Bundy and Mrs. Molla Bjurstedt Mallory face each other across the net in Forest Hills in August, there will be more than ordinary significance to the meeting. On one side will be the reigning queen of American tennis returning for world honors at Wimbledon. On the other side will stand a woman who, fifteen years ago triumphantly advanced to premier honors on those same courts at Wimbledon now a challenger for the national title she captured exactly eighteen years ago.
“Whatever the result of Mrs. Bundy’s eastern tour this summer, she will have the satisfaction of knowing that she has made a second “comeback” more glorious than the tennis world has known.”
In writing of the young California star, Helen Wills, in one of his special articles, William T. Tilden, former champion of the world, said: “I have no doubt but that in a few years Helen Wills of California will add her name to the list of champions already made famous by such players as Molla Bjurstedt Mallory, Mary K. Browne and May Sutton Bundy.”
Mary Browne of Los Angeles held the women’s National title in 1912-13-14 while in 1919 Mrs. George Wightman (Hazel Hotchkiss), a Berkeley girl, won first honors. Last year Helen Wills went east and brought back the National title for girls. Golda Myers Gross was the sensation of the Golden Gate Park courts for several seasons before she took on national honors. Mrs. Gross is now the mother of two fine boys. Miss Elizabeth Ryan of California, now residing in England, enjoys international recognition as one of the foremost players in the tennis world.
In her review of women in athletics and the relationship athletics bears toward motherhood, Mrs. Hazel Pedlar Faulkner, president of the American Association of University Women, San Francisco Branch, said: “Many of the tennis stars, as I can recall, who have married have fine families. The girls are good mothers, good healthy broadminded mothers.” She quotes Miss Elizabeth Rheen Stoner, head of the Department of Physical Education at Mills College, and one of foremost authorities on physical education for women in the United States, who said: “Many girls graduated from Mills who have been keenest in athletics are the mothers of fine boys, husky, lusky ones.”
The woman’s point of view quoted in this article regarding tennis as a builder of physical strength and acclaiming the motherhood of famous women tennis players; the point of view of a former world champion who knows tennis as a game to command admiration from every healthy, spirited man or woman; and the point of view of those who favor this great out-of-door recreation of mind alertness, skill and bodily strength, are summed up in the deduction that tennis in California claims universal attention.
Transcribed by Sue Wolden & Bea Barton.
Proofread by Betty Vickroy.
© 2005 Nancy Pratt Melton