WHO’S WHO AMONG
The California Federation of School Women’s
Club was organized in
Miss Florence Stahl, president, and Miss
Jessie Williamson, secretary, are residents of
Our life as a people is only an expression
of the effect of the schools upon society.
If our schools are a failure, then indeed is our whole social structure
The kind of school we have in
Wanda R. Mott
Photo of Mrs. Emma L. Dacre
The San Francisco Grade Teachers’ Association has sent a delegate to the annual meetings of the National Education Association for the past three years. In 1920 the National Education Association was reorganized on a delegate basis, and at the 1921 convention the first meeting of the delegate assembly, I had the honor and privilege of representing the San Francisco Grade Teachers’ Association in Des Moines.
The great vision of the new education was
unfolded, and the delegates were to translate those ideals into achievements in
the local associations. The delegates
were impressed with their responsibility of doing their share in the work of an
organization which is dedicated to the supremely important task of building a
Our Association is entitled to six
delegates, and the following teachers were elected to go to the convention in
In order to finance the delegates, a Jinks was given on May fifth at the
All over the country the class room teachers are trying to establish higher professional standards, and at this years’ meeting, the class room department of the National Education Association, ways and means will be considered to make this one of the most worth-while sections of the whole association. Our delegation realized public education as of fundamental concern, and the profession will never rise higher than the class room teacher. Those in daily contact with the lives of little children must have the radiant influence of inspiration of great minds, and the desire to encompass the great ideals fostered by common action. We can only get this inspiration by meeting with those who can impart such enthusiasm.
Emma L. Dacre
President San Francisco Grade Teachers’ Association
Once upon a time, one off our esteemed exchanges—we cannot refrain from telling that it came from Boston—devoted some of its valuable space to a glowing tribute to the intellectual caliber of Los Angeles’ teaching force.
It is always pleasant to have our friends and find virtue in us that we had not suspected. But since their attention is called to it, we are half inclined to think the tribute may be in some measure deserved.
One of the features of greatest import was the Conference of Educational Research.
Referring to an
article written by Charleton A. Wheeler, regarding
educational work in
“The new year it is at our doors. There are many important things which the Southern section should accomplish in the twelve months already beginning to slip past.
There should be a
permanent office for the activities of the Section, working with the office in
A capable well-paid
secretary should be in that office and should during that year cover all parts
of our Section bringing teachers directly the livest
managed message that the Association has to offer. But
In closing Wheeler said: “So I’m going to believe that this year every one of you has resolved to provide material for your representatives to use in kindling the lights which are to shine as professional beacons in Southern California and in the State at large during the year 1922.”
Ida Christine Iversen
Photo of Mrs. O. E. Chaney
WOMEN’S LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL
Miss Marie C. Brehm,
Miss Mary Helen
Miss Carol A. Renfisch, Klagscote Apartments,
Dr. Mary Emig,
Mrs. George Wing,
Mrs. Ernest Wallace,
Mrs. C. F. Crose,
Mrs. M. E. Jenkins,
The Woman’s Legislative Council of
California was organized on December 7th, 1912 in
The need for such an organization as the Woman’s Legislative Council was manifested when the right of suffrage was given the women of the State. That the Council has successfully met this need for concerted action in legislative work is evidenced not only by its membership, which stretches from Eureka in the north to San Diego in the south, but also by the list of its achievements, which number among them some of the most popular and important laws enacted by recent legislatures. To name a few of the results of the idea of co-operation in legislative work is the following list of laws enacted by the California Legislature through the work of the women of the State.
(1) (1) Industrial Welfare Commission; (2) State Training School for Girls; (3) Birth Registration; (4) Mothers’ Pension Law; (5) Teachers’ Pension Act; (6) Raising the age of consent; (7) Home Teacher’s Bill; (8) Red Light Abatement Law; Registration of Trained Nurses; (9) Making Mother Equal Guardian with Father of Minor Children; (11) Requiring Wife’s signature to legalize assignment of Husband’s wages; (12) Amendment to Juvenile Court Law, separating dependents from delinquents; (13) safeguarding Education rights and Hours of Labor for Children; (14) Establishing Civic Centers in Public School Buildings; (15) Making Women eligible to Jury service; (16) Farm for Delinquent Women; (171) Moron Colony for Southern California; (18) Increase in School Funds; (Exempting Wife’s half of Community Property from Inheritance Tax; (20) Making Provision for Special Education for Crippled Children.
Mrs. O. E. Chaney
Photo of Mrs. Frank G. Law
Mrs. J. G. Kearney………………………………………..……..……………..First Vice-President
Mrs. Ernest J. Mott, 2808 Vallejo, San Francisco…………………………...Second Vice-President
Mrs. C. B. Whittier…………………………………………..…..…………….Third Vice-President
Mrs. H. W.
Miss M. A. Ijams……………………………………………………..……Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. F. F. Rowell,
Mrs. J. L. Goodday,
Miss Gail Laughlin Mrs. W. X. Clark Mrs. Florence I. Mead
Mrs. H. B. Tilghman Mrs. Dow C. Golden Miss Caroline Kingman
The California Civic League was founded in 1911 in response to the demand of newly enfranchised women for guidance and technical knowledge in preparing themselves to use the ballot intelligently.
In 1920 The National League of Women Voters was organized as an outgrowth of the American Woman’s Suffrage Association with the purpose of “developing the woman citizen into an intelligent and self-directing voter and to turn her vote toward constructive social ends.”
On May 1921 The California Civic League
The first State Convention will be held in October and at this time new officers will be elected and from one to five bills selected to be presented to the next Legislature. Said proposed legislation is now being studied by the local units of the State League.
The Pan American Conference held in conjunction with the annual convention of The National League of Women Voters in Baltimore, Maryland from April 20th to 29th, was attended by twelve official delegates from California. There were thirty-one official delegates from twenty-two American Countries seated in The Pan American Conference. Two thousand five hundred women from various parts of the world attended both the conference and the convention. The soul and spirit of this gathering of intellectual womanhood of the world was – “that democracy shall be saved for the world and that there shall be no future wars.”
Mrs. Frank C. Law,
Women from South
America were official representatives at the Pan-American Conference of Women
“IS WOMAN’S PLACE IN THE HOME?”
at a luncheon held in the colonial ballroom of the
Literary folks from the bay cities were in attendance. Mrs. Parker Maddux, president of the Center, is seated at the honor table with Kathleen Norris at her right and Charles Norris at her left. Prominent members and relatives of the honor guests seated from left to right, at the table are: Mrs. Ernest Wallace, Mrs. Joseph S. Thompson, Mrs. Ernest W. Cleary, Mrs. Ida Finney Mackrille,Then Kathleen Norris, Mrs. Parker Maddux, Charles Norris, Mrs. C. S. Stanton, Mr. Joseph Thompson (brother of Kathleen Norris) and Mrs. E. B. Thomas.
Photo of Mrs. Parker S. Maddux
Mrs. Jesse H. Steinhart, 2400 Steiner………………………………………………...First Vice-President
Mrs. Alfred McLaughlin, 3375 Clay……………………………………………….Second Vice-President
Miss Elisa May Willard, 864 Francisco………………………………………….Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Andrew E. Neuenburg, 246 Cabrillo…………….……………………………..Recording Secretary
Miss Mabel Pierce, 1000 Chestnut………………………………..…………………………….Treasurer
Miss Margaret Mary Morgan, 1942A Hyde…………………………..…………………………...Auditor
Mrs. Ernest Wallace Mrs.
Miss Marion Delany,
Mrs. Augusta Jones, Membership Mrs. William Kent, Education
Miss Eleanor H. Koppitz, Finance Miss Alice Burr, Headquarter
In addition to monthly membership
meetings for the transaction of business, legislative endorsements and so on,
the Center runs a continuous program of afternoon discussion; lectures; teas;
luncheons and very rarely a dinner, with addresses from distinguished
guests. The scope of these meetings is
suggested by a partial list of the past eight months, when our local subjects
have included “A Better and Greater San Francisco,” “Marketing in San
Francisco,” “Proposed Reduction in the Minimum Wage for Women in Industry” and,
upon our tenth anniversary of the granting of suffrage to the women of
California, “Is the Time Ripe for a Woman Supervisor?” (Incidentally we would add that
Edith Walker Maddux,
Photos of Three Women in the
Mrs. Anna Saylor,
Miss Esto Broughton,
Mrs. Elizabeth Hughes,
ABLE WOMEN LEGISLATORS
In 1919 four women were elected to the State
Legislature as members of the Assembly.
Mrs. Elizabeth Hughes of Oroville, registered as “housewife”: Mrs. Anna L. Saylor of Berkeley, also
housewife”; Miss Esto B. Broghton
Mrs. Hughes qualified for the office of Assemblyman by her previous record as chairman of the Education Committee. She had served on the following committees: Agriculture; Conservation; Drainage; Swamp and Overflowed Lands; Elections; Federal Relations. Mrs. Saylor acted as chairman of the Public Morals Committee and was a member of the Public Morals Committee and member of the following committees: Constitutional Amendments; Education; Hospitals and Asylums; Prisons and Reformatories; Public Charities and Corrections. Miss Broughton was a member of the following committees: Civil Service; Direct Legislation; Engrossment and Enrollment; Irrigation; Public Morals; Ways and Means.
Mrs. Dorris was a
member of the committees:
All four women have proved exceedingly able,
and have justified, in their dignified and splendid conduct as legislators, the
Photo of Mrs. Anna Denniston.
THE NEEDLEWORK GUILD
The Needlework Guild of America is one of the efficient, practical, organized groups of women who devote their skill and their time to the making of garments for distribution among the needy and the sick. The distribution takes place every year just about Thanksgiving Day.
Last year the San Francisco Needlework Guild distributed their gifts to sixty-one charities. The extent of the distribution was general reaching out to hospitals, homes, and to charity centers.
Good, warm undergarments, socks, stockings, mittens, gloves, caps, sweaters, petticoats, nightwear, and broadsoled shoes – these were among the garments distributed. For little babes, the Needlework Guild gave some of its best and most useful garments. These garments included: blankets, slips, little petticoats, woolen jackets, stockings, caps, and many intimate garments necessary for a babe. Shoulder shawls, bed shoes, flannel sacks, wrappers – these were some of the many things distributed among the convalescents, able to leave hospitals.
In order to be a member of the Needlework Guild of America, one must contribute at least two new articles of wearing apparel or household linen. Articles may be made by hand, or they may be ready-made garments, including sheets, pillow-cases, and towels.
Last year the San Francisco Needlework Guild
collected twelve thousand, four hundred and seventy-seven garments, an advance of three thousand over the number the preceding
year. The Needlework Guild is endorsed
by the Chamber of Commerce. It is
affiliated with the American Red Cross, the General Federation of Woman’s
Clubs, and is a member of the National Conference of Social work, the National
Council of Women of the
The following charities receive garments distributed by the Needlework Guild of the San Francisco Branch: Associated Charities, Babies Aid, California Home for Girls, Canon Kip Day Nursery, Canon Kip Dispensary, Canon Kip Memorial Home, Cathedral Mission, Community Day Nursery, Cynthia Grey Column, Deaconess’ Home, Detention Home (Juvenile Court), Doctor’s Daughters, Emanu-El Sisterhood, Eureka Benevolent Society, Florence Crittenton Home, German Benevolent Society, Girls’ Friendly Society Lodge, Girls’ Welfare Home, Golden Gate Kindergarten Association, Helpers of the Holy Souls, Hospital for Children and Training School for Nurses, House of Friendship, Infant Shelter, Little Children’s Aid, Little Sisters of the Poor, Maria Kip Orphanage, Mary‘s Help Clinic, Mizpah Charity Club, “Mrs. Goodfellow,” Nursery for Homeless Children, Open Air School, Oriental M. E. Mission, Pacific Hebrew Orphan Asylum, Philanthropic Section of the Corona Club, Presbyterian Chinese Mission, Protestant Episcopal Old Ladies’ Home, Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum, San Bruno Community House, San Francisco Fruit and Flower Mission, San Francisco Home for Incurables, San Francisco Hospital, San Francisco Protestant Orphan Asylum Society, San Francisco Tuberculosis Association, St. Barnabas’ Mission, Sisters of the Holy Family, Society of Christian Work, Stanford Clinic, Swiss Relief, Telegraph Hill Center of San Francisco, Trinity Pastoral Aid, University of California Hospital, Youths’ Directory, Boys and Girls’ Industrial Farm (Lytton), Girls’ Training Home, Alameda; Fred Finch Orphanage, Piedmont; Hill Farm, Manor; Masons’ Home, Decoto; Presbyterian Orphanage, San Anselmo; Salvation Army Rescue Home, Oakland; Sunshine Preventorium, Manor; West Oakland Home.
Leaders of the various sections of the Needlework Guild of the San Francisco Branch include the following prominent woman: Mrs. E. G. Denniston, Mrs. Almeron Skinkle, Mrs. E. R. Lillienthal, Mrs. John Leale, Mrs. F. E. Williams, Mrs. E. E. Howell, Mrs. S. Sussman, Mrs. A. O. Dorey, Mrs. J. W. Wiggins, Mrs. George Reed, Mrs. Henry Meyer, Mrs. M. H. Esberg, Mrs. E. G. Cahill, Mrs. Edward F. Cahill, Mrs. L. T. Samuels, Mrs. E. B. Burr, Mrs. J. D. Jessup, Mrs. S. Hortop, Mrs. Robert Wallace, Mrs. L. Guggenheim, Mrs. George A. Mullin, Mrs. W. C. Morrow, Mrs. G. F. Terschuren, Mrs. McKinley Bissinger, Mrs. Edward Morgan Jones, Mrs. S. L. Reiss, Mrs. Thomas H. Judd, Mrs. E. M. Hogan, Mrs. John Doolittle, Mrs. Robert Hugh Donaldson, Mrs. Simeon Poulin, Mrs. E. Lawrence, Mrs. Hal M. Atkinson, Mrs. Arvilla Bradley, Mrs. A. L. Lengfeld, Mrs. J. H. Humphreys, Mrs. Charles Sorenson, Mrs. H. C. Worth, Mrs. Mary B. Smith, Miss Marion O’Connell, Miss Blanche Murray, Miss Virginia Gibbs, Miss Laura McKinstrey, Miss Frances V. Meeker, Miss Genevieve Sullivan.
Needlework Guilds are active in various parts of the state as contributing parts to the National Guild.
Photo of Mrs. John F. Merrill
The Children’s Hospital is one of the oldest
of the Charitable health agencies in
The hospital was reincorporated in 1885 as
“The Hospital for Children and Training School for Nurses,” and was located at
The school of nursing is the pioneer
organization of this class in
As a charity the Children’s Hospital has held a strong appeal for the public, and is supported entirely by contributions and the income from paying patients. At present the Children’s Hospital needs “scholarships” in nursing, endowments for beds and support for beds. Supported and endowed beds are particularly needed for maternity patients and women ill of medical diseases.
The assets of the hospital are substantial
and there are no liabilities. Most of
the assets have been accumulated by gifts from
One of the present institutions in the
Children’s Hospital is the every-day school with close adherence to school
curriculum, the instructors being teachers from the public schools of
It is an appealing sight to see little bed-ridden children, some of them strapped to their supports, keen and eager for their daily lessons in school work. These children are apt pupils and delight in their studies. Miss Wade is the teacher.
An auxiliary of young women connected with the work of the Children’s Hospital is a constant source of aid. For instance, they gave X-Ray equipment this year, and the purchase of the Nurses’ Home from the University of California Hospital is one of their permanent accomplishments. This work has been established as a memorial to the lamented auxiliary member, Mrs. George McNear. The Nurses Home is a modern, well equipped home for eighty nurses.
To the noble women who first saw the vision of “The Children’s Hospital” and to the present board of managers – whose part it has been to “carry on” the great work now, there is, indeed, no compensating tribute, no adequate laudation other than: “In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, ye have done it unto Me.”
Mrs. A. F. Morrison is president of the Children’s Hospital, Miss Mabel Piece, Mrs. Walter Martin, Mrs. Alfred McLaughlin, are vice-presidents; Miss Emily Carolan, treasurer; Mrs. L. L. Dunbar, general secretary. The board of managers include: Mrs. Harry S. Bates, Miss Ethel Beaver, Miss Louise Boyd, Mrs. George Cameron, Miss Emily Carolan, Mrs. Wendell Easton, Mrs. Herbert Fleishacker, Mrs. George F. Grant, Mrs. E. S. Heller, Mrs. James Watt Kerr, Mrs. Latham McMullin, Mrs. John F. Merrill, Miss Mauricia Mintzer, Mrs. Alexander F. Morrison, Miss Alicia Mosgrove, Mrs. Henry Payor, Miss Mabel Pierce, Mrs. Henry Sahlein, Mrs. Laurence I. Scott, Mrs. E. B. Stone, Miss Alice Schussler, Mrs. George F. Volkmann, Mrs. Isaac N. Walter, Miss Persis Coleman.
The auxiliary board comprises: Mrs. Henry Kiersted, Mrs. Henry Dutton, Mrs. George Cameron, Mrs. Latham McMullin, Mrs. Horace Hill, Mrs. S. H. Boardman, Mrs. Norris K. Davis, Mrs. Walter Martin, Mrs. Charles T. Crocker, Mrs. H. W. Poett, Mrs. Augustus Taylor, Mrs. William H. Taylor, Jr., Mrs. Laurence I. Scott, Mrs. Julian Thorne, Miss Emily Carolan, Miss Marion Zeile, Mrs. J. Cheever Cowdin, Miss Louise Boyd, Mrs. H. H. Scott.
Help us to help those whose lot it is to minister! Our Nurses! Help us to impress those whose call it is to watch by the bed of sickness, to smooth the troubled pillow, to solace the couch of pain, and teach them that the art of ministration is the act of love – for, their cross shall be the step to their crown, and their power to administer shall be their strength.
Mary S. Merrill
YOUNG WOMEN IN UNSELFISH DEVOTION
Debutantes and their younger sisters, the sub-debutantes, make no claim for recognition in philanthropic work, yet the value of their participation in many events for the benefit of organizations throughout the state, command acclaim. In one of her recent articles Mrs. Jean Loughborough said of the debutante: “Be she “deb” or “sub-deb”, coed or from one of the higher girls’ schools, the young women of the period not only feels the responsibilities of her youth but those of her prospective place as a member of the state’s citizenship.
“She may tea and dance, and even flirt a bit in a wholesome way, but the girl whose sole object in life was a date book full of men’s initials and a dance card filled from cover to cover is rapidly becoming a rarity. In place of the gay frivolous social butterfly is the college girl, the girl of the sorority whose training has given an insight into social and civic affairs. In college she cogitates over the doctrines of Marx and Nietzsche, evolving her theories on social problems from Dewey to Taussig.”
Because popularity no longer consists of the number of engagements which she has to her credit but rather to the extent of her unselfish work and the kind of charitable work she does in her sincere, devoted way, Miss Debutante is a very important little personage.
“Among the most successful benefits given by
the Los Angeles debutantes was that of the Alumnae of the Kappa Kappa Gamma under the chairmanship of Miss Ellen Andrews,
daughter of Mr. And Mrs. L. M. Andrews of Lafayette Park Place. Although a recent graduate of
Katherine Long, a recent graduate from
Vassar, is devoting her time to the Juvenile Protective Association. Ruth Bolgiano, of
In practically every splendid task society
A group of twelve girls first formed the
Auxiliary to the Children’s
With the Children’s Hospital as the
beneficiary, the Young Ladies Auxiliary started the annual ball known as the
Mardi Gras, one of the most spectacular and
picturesque fancy balls given in
The Mardi Gras is now held on Shrove Tuesday, each year, and is one of the outstanding society charity balls in the city. A contest in the choice of queen for the Mardi Gras usually precedes the ball, lending zest to the purpose and adding interest to the society event.
Mrs. Richard McCreery,
society leader of
The splendid assistance given to worthy projects by the young women of the Junior League stands pre-eminently part of the noble work and unselfish devotion of debutantes. In every city the Junior League has a most progressive clientele always ready to give unselfish devotion for charity.
Photo of Mrs. W. H. Mills.
NOBLE WOMEN WHO INSPIRE
In the galaxy of leaders who pioneered the plans now flourishing to creditable heights are names of Californians closely linked with the foremost women of the world.
Many of these Californians have gained national and inter-national recognition. Many of them brought the present prosperity by the consecrated devotion of lifework in definite projects and activities.
Their unselfish devotion, their aims, their laudable ambitions – reach across the stretch of Time, holding high the torch of radiant hope for those who, in their turn, shall follow them.
I like to think of these
women. I like to think of the young
women, the young matrons with their little brooks about them, today, who are
stepping into the ranks with high ideals before them – the same ideals which
characterized our feminine life, years back, and which now actuate the work of
lovely womenhood in
Let’s meditate awhile, and
turn the light of appreciation upon them.
Some of these
Mrs. A. F. Morrison, of the
Century Club – a natural leader is Mrs. Morrison. Her soft, well modulated voice, her
clear-thinking, her straight-forward methods of reaching high results are
characteristics. It is a joy, always, to
watch that clear-thinking process in Mrs. Morrison’s mind. She is an example for women. As the wife of one of
Mrs. Isaac Requa
– one of the remarkable women of
Mrs. Timothy Hopkins, the
niece of Mrs. Mark Hopkins, has so long been identified with good work in
Mrs. John Swift, wife of the
late Ambassador to
Mrs. John Bidwell, of the times before these women has wielded a wide influence in the upbuilding of our great commonweath. Socially prominent, Mrs. Bidwell has given much to charity and to those things which are of a lasting benefit to the community. She has been a moving spirit in practically every worthy project.
Mrs. Benjamin Ide Wheeler, wife of the President Emeritus of the
Mrs. Putnam Osgood, Miss Anne
Beaver, Isabel McCracken the remarkable biologist! Of the women in the south I
am recalling Mrs. J. Rose Clark, in whose memory the one million dollar Y. W.
C. A. Building was erected in
Kellogg, Mrs. Herbert Hoover, two commanding figures in the world’s affairs.
Kathleen Norris, “The best-loved author” whose books are a constant inspiration and spur to noble ideals – she commands our true admiration. Mrs. Norris is a noble woman; her books will live.
Campbell, the woman who has done so much for the West, musically – she deserves
to be in our San Francisco Hall of Fame.
Miss Sara D. Hamlin, from whose school girls have
graduated with high educational ideals; Mrs. Clarence Smith, the author,
Eleanor Gates Tully; Frances Willard and Susan B. Anthony were molding ideals
Mrs. Monroe Salisbury, Kate Salisbury, Mrs. Alexander Keyes, Mrs. Sam Boardman and Mrs. Danford Boardman, women in the social cliques whose stamp of approval were criterions.
Mrs. Esther Birdsall Darling, author, is a remarkable woman. Mrs. Darling has done so much good for so many people. She is an exceptional woman. Her stories of the dogs whose lives were given for the country’s needs during the war are as tender and convincing as the stories of many heroes. Mrs. Darling raised these dogs, Alaskan dogs, with their rare intelligence, and then when the war came, she placed their services for the good of the country. They did valiant service, and some of them were given military burial on account of their Red Cross aid. Mrs. Darling, herself, is one of the rare souls it is good, indeed, to know, and one whose radiant personality one welcomes with joy.
Mrs. A. E. Graupner – I like to think of Mrs. Graupner, one of the young matrons of today, whose life is crowded with thoughts of others. She is prominent in the American Association of University Women, where she has been a great power for good, in the pure milk campaign, in the health campaign, in the drive for funds for the care of babies – in all manner of good things benefiting humanity. I like to think of Mrs. Graupner and women like her – they make the coming generation better because they are here.
Mrs. Fremont Older, one of
Mrs. Alfred McLaughlin –
there’s one of the finest women in
There are so many women – I haven’t begun to name them yet, and all the space on the page is taken. What shall I do?
Mrs. W. H. Mills.
Fruit and Flower
The San Francisco Fruit and Flower Mission
is an organization devoted to the work of caring for the sick, the
convalescent, the “shut-in” and those in need of cheer and comfort. During the past year the forty-second of the
Physical examination made of the pupils in
the public schools revealed a very large percentage of undernourished
children. Reports of the survey made by
physicians and county nurses resulted in the Tuberculosis Association and the
clinics caring for these undernourished cases that were unable to get attention
from any other source. Here it is that
the Fruit and Flower Mission renders necessary aid. When, upon examination, the above-mentioned
organization finds that parents of the children cannot supply the eggs and milk
required for the child the case is reported to the
The Fruit and Flower Mission has not a single paid worker. Philanthropic work is carried on among all classes, irrespective of creed, and, out of every dollar received during the year ninety-three cents was given in direct relief.
Each Thursday morning during the year finds the Flower Mission workers assembled, busily engaged in packing and carrying baskets with nourishing food and dainties to deserving cases. Each basket contains a generous supply of meal, vegetables, fruit (canned or fresh), eggs, butter, rice, tea, coffee, chocolate, sugar, and cereals; and, for generous measure, a custard or a pudding which is prepared in the diet kitchen each Wednesday by Mrs. B. Wolfe and her efficient co-workers.
In addition, each visitor takes to her case a bunch of flowers, which helps greatly to brighten the home. Year after year, these beautiful flowers have been received each week, through the generosity of Mr. John McLaren, Superintendent of Golden Gate Park. For his kindness the San Francisco Fruit and Flower Mission gives its sincere thanks.
Besides the thirty-six basket cases, which
The forty-first annual report of the San Francisco Fruit and Flower Mission gives the following officers for the year 1922; Board of Directors, Mrs. Mary Bates McLellan, honorary president; Mrs. W. B. Lowenthal, president; Miss Helen E. Gibbs, first vice-president; Miss Florence Lippitt, second vice-president; Mrs. B. M. Levinger, recording secretary; Mrs. S. R. Newbauer, corresponding secretary; Mrs. L. Strassburger, treasurer; and Miss Virginia Gibbs, Mrs. Walte-Samson, Mrs. Walter Unna, Mrs. Robert Noble and Miss S. E. Johnson. The Chairmen of Committees include: Miss Estelle Cerf, Visiting Committee; Mrs. F. Mandelbaum, Sewing Committees; Mrs. B. Wolf, Diet Kitchen; Miss Belle Armer, Committee on Supplies; Mrs. Walter Unna, Birthday Fund. On the Advisory Board are: Mr. Morris Meyerfeld Jr.; Mr. Alfred C. Holman, Mr. Mortimer Fleishhacker, Mr. A. Rosenberg, Dr. Reginald Knight Smith.
Photo of Mrs. Daniel C. Jackling
GIRLS’ RECREATION AND HOME CLUB
This home, the grounds and the original buildings were the gifts of C. A. Spreckels, Rudolph Spreckels and Mrs. John Ferris.
Mrs. Danaiel C. Jackling the first president of the Girls’ Recreation Home named this home, singularly appropriate for girls who work. Mr. Jackling wrote a check of $5,000 to be dispersed according to the ideas of the original committees.
Among the society women first interested in the club which does so much to brighten the lives of young women included: Mesdames Roy Pike, D. C. Jackling, Water S. Martin, George T. Cameron, Athol McBean, Horace Pillsbury, Harry Scott, Robert Hayes Smith, Lawrence W. Harris, Frank King, George Cadwalader, Joseph O. Tobin, Templeton Crocker, Selah Chamberlain, Harold Elbright, George Wright, and the Misses Maud O’Connor, Marjorie Josselyn, Helen Cheseborough and Edith Treanor.
Many other prominent women in
Mrs. D. C. Jackling was ably assisted by her original board: Mrs. Lawrence W. Harris, vice-president: Mrs. Atholl McBean, secretary: Mrs. Roy Pike, treasurer; Edith Treanor, corresponding secretary.
The club has a gymnasium, an indoor theatre, shower baths, an uptodate laundry with every modern convenience, a little Spanish court with a playing fountain, a cafeteria and a drawing room where members may receive their friends. Musical instruments, good books and many things to delight the heart and brain of happy girls are to be found in the attractive Girls’ Recreation Club Home.
Mrs. Atholl McBean is the new president of the club, Mrs. Daniel Jackling retains her interest as the first vice-president; Mrs. Roy Pike is treasurer; Edith Treanor is the secretary.
TRAVELERS’ AID SOCIETY
The Travelers’ Aid Society of California is recognized by, and receives the cooperation of, all organizations which deal with the traveling public. Its functionary force is somewhat different from that of other societies, in-as-much as it has to do with the special care of unescorted women, girls and young boys in their travels.
The travelers’ Aid Society is really just exactly what the name indicates. It aids travelers. It safeguards them in their travels from place to place, and safeguards them upon their arrivals. Its work is both preventive and protective.
Travelers who do not speak the English language are given special care and interpreters are provided them. This part of the Travelers’ Aid Society is deemed quite the foremost concern in as much as it often proves the first steps toward citizenship. Travelers’ Aid workers are on duty at special stations and at official desks, equipped with sufficient information to meet many emergencies.
Here are some of the definite things which the Travelers’ Aid Society people do: They obtain reliable lodging, give material assistance when needed and guide the inexperienced or confused traveler; they help travelers to locate their friends; they telegraph ahead and secure the cooperation of other Travelers’ Aid workers at points of transfer; they safeguard the traveler in regard to his destination; they make investigations so that distant Travelers’ Aid societies can act intelligently in caring for runaways, or others needing care.
Between the year of 1886 and 1905 many different societies were doing Traveler’s Aid work thus causing confusion and overlapping of effort. In the year 1905, a committee of women consisting of Jewish, Catholic and Protestant denominations organized the first non-sectarian Travelers’ Aid Society. Last year, 56,523 people were assisted by the society with a force of fourteen workers in field and office.
Mrs. William Marston is the president of the Travelers’ Aid Society, her election to office taking place soon after the loss of the late Mrs. Helen Sanborn. The board of directors includes many prominent women among them being Mrs. Porter Pfingst who has done much in her quiet, but effective way; Mrs. James McDonald, Mrs. Mary Prag of the board of education, whose bright outlook on life in general and her understanding of folks, is of great value to the society; Mrs. Charles Reed, Mrs. Henry Sahlein, Mrs. J. W. Stirling, Mrs. Marjorie Stuart, Mrs. A. P. Black, whose splendid record as president of the San Francisco District Federation is state history, is the faithful secretary. Dr. Mariana Bertola, first vice-president of the California Federation of Women’s Clubs, is one of the directors. Mrs. E. L. Baldwin, Mrs. Jerome Landfield, Dr. Cora Sutton Castle, and Mrs. A. L. Hart, president of the Y. W. C. CA. is also a director. The executive committee comprises Mesdames A. P. Black, A. L. Hart, William Matson, Porter Pfingst and Marjorie Stuart. I have been the treasurer for many years, and while my work brings many heart-aches in sympathy for those whom I meet it also brings me gratification for the good that I can do.
Susanne C. Gomez,
The House of Friendship is a down-town emergency club. Its hospitable doors are open twenty-four hours a day to any girl. The little lamp of friendship is always burning in the window of this club.
Where is this House of Friendship?
It is on
Six hundred and seventy girls of all faiths have been helped in their emergencies during the past year at the House of Friendship.
Miss Thirmuthis Brookman, well known in philanthropic circles, is the guardian of the House of Friendship.
Dean Gresham is an honorary director.
Mrs. Sophie Lilienthal is chairman of the executive committee. Mrs. Alfred C. Scales is assistant treasurer.
Other prominent citizens of the city who are directing the extensive work of this great House of Friendship include: Mrs. Charles N. Felton, an honorary member; Mrs. William Fitzhugh and Dr. Vera Goldman.
Mrs. James P. Langhorne is an interested member of the Board of Directors. Mrs. Morris Meyerfeld, Jr., Mrs. Eugene P. Murphy, Miss Jean Parker McEwen, Miss Mary Phelan, Mrs. Max C. Sloss, and Mrs. Gaillard Stoney.
Miss Minnie B. Houghton is chairman of the finance committee, which includes also Miss Sarah D. Harker, Mrs. Jacob Gottlob and Miss Jean Parker McEwen.
Photo of Mrs. J. T. Anderson
COUNCIL OF COMMUNITY SERVICE
Mrs. George Betts, 3952 Budlong…………….……………...……………...First Vice-President
Mrs. E. R. Brainerd, Rampart Apartments………………..………………Second Vice-President
Mrs. Jules Kauffman, 692 S. Kingsley………..………...…………………..Third Vice-President
Miss Belle N. Hall,
Mrs. David Babcock, 1244 S. Van Ness……….…………..………………..Recording Secretary
Mrs. John S. Myers, 1045 W. 35th……………...………………………………………Treasurer
Mrs. Harry L. Rhodes, 116 E. Park, Eagle Rock..……………………………Financial Secretary
Mrs. Michael J. McGarry,
Mrs. Florence Schoneman Mrs. Cassie Smith Mrs. L. C. Blakeslee
Miss Jane C. Humphreys Miss Orfa Jean Shontz Mrs. Allie Simmons Wheeler
Mrs. M. G. Cooper Mrs. E. H. Lauer Mrs Will Smith
Miss Flora D. Smith Mrs. S. E. Edgerton Mrs. A. N. Lee
Mrs. Ralph W. Stewart Mrs. W. F. Adams Mrs. Fred W. Fuller
Mrs. R. E. Muncy Mrs. Florine Wolfstein Mrs. W. E. Bowles
Mrs. J. E. Gribble Mrs. Harriett Willaim Myers Mrs. D. Joseph Coyne
Mrs. Alex Hamilton Mrs. E. L. Rawk
The Council of Community Service of
California is an organization composed of 405 Units, incorporated under the
laws of the State of
In order to render efficient aid when needed, the Council of Community Service has established different departments in its work, namely:
Monte Vista Lodge: Monte Vista Lodge is a forty-five room hotel with broad verandas and two
acres of playground located in the beautiful
Monte Vista Lodge has been furnished and equipped by the Units of the Council as a Vacation Camp for children. A competent staff cares for emergency cases. Convalescent and undernourished children are admitted as well as orphan or needy children. Parents and guardians pay what they can afford.
Community Thrift Shop: This shop is operated by voluntary service. The object is to supply an outlet for the activities of women; to give opportunity to women to augment their incomes. Hand made goods, women and children’s clothing, crafts work, et cetera, are sold.
Mary Trowbridge Foundation: This department furnished scholarships and maintenance to students.
Summer Vacations: An average of 260 women and children are given vacations at the beaches each Summer free of all cost.
Vocational Placement Bureau: This department has found definite employment for 1502 persons during 1921 and directed many other individuals to employment.
Other activities are featured in the annual Financial Report for the year ending February 1st, 1922, as follows:
Campaign for Disabled Veterans………………………………….$71,709.60
Vacation Camps, Del Rey and other work…………………………. 2,600.76
Community Thrift Shop and Cash………………………………….. 2,246.81
Materials and Clothing………………………………………………. 325.00
Pollyanna Club………………………………………………………. 2,734.00
Christmas Distribution……………………………………………….. 4,919.65
Milk and Maintenance Fund………………………………………….. 4,928.83
Mary Trowbridge Foundation…………………..…………………… 10,371.10
The work of the Council of Community Service is carried on by voluntary contributions and service.
Mrs. J. T. Anderson
Photo of Mrs. Mabel D. Greer
Pauline J. Colodny,
Mr.s Edward Opel, 1417 S. Union Avenue………………......……………….Second Vice-President
Mrs. Crichton Smith,
Mrs. Henry E. Aerick, 5445 Victoria Avenue, Hollywood……………………….Recording Secretary
Mrs. William Behm,
Mrs. Irving Barnett Asbury, 1711 W. 39th ………………….………….…………………...Treasurer
TRUSTEES OF THE BUILDING FUND
Mrs. Leiland Atherton Irish, Press Mrs. Hugh J. Crawford, House
Mrs. Henry E. Arrick, Departments Mrs. William L. Clendennon, Director
Mrs. Hugh J. Crawford, Auitor Mrs. William Behm, Auditor
Mrs. C. W. Murray, Parliamentarian
Cosmos Club craft is assuming the proportion of a Ship of State, with Mrs. Mabel D. Greer, president, at the helm. Her executive staff consisting of Mrs. Pauline I. Colodny, vice-president; Mrs. Edward Opel, second vice-president; Mrs. Crichton Smith, third vice-president; Mrs. Henry E. Aerick, recording secretary’ Mrs. William Behm, corresponding secretary, and Mrs. Irving Barrett Asbury, treasurer, Mrs. Leiland A. Irish as press chairman, and Mrs. I. W. Freeman, philanthropy chairman, are able “mates on the board,” co-operating always to weather the wind and the waves, steering slowly but surely to a Port of Permanent Success.
The object of this club is and always shall be, the literary, philanthropic, and social development of its members. Philanthropy is the keynote of Cosmos, it is not only a channel through which much outside help is given, but it is the means of better acquaintance and closer friendship. The average attendance at every meeting is a thirty-three and one-third percentage of the membership. Times are such that sincere social activities of any organization affords the woman of to-day, complete relaxation from the daily routing and daily worry.
Cosmos gives all she can for the money. Monthly luncheons and teas are given regularly – the latter with never a charge. The profits on these luncheon days have only netted $43.13 in the year; this proves it is purely a social advantage without one mercenary motive. The menus are unusual which can readily be learned from the many complimentary invitation extended to guests of honor and friends from the different clubs.
A donation from any member is never solicited for any cause other than philanthropy for Cosmos has a gratifying sum drawing interest each quarter and is not in debt.
Mabel D. Greer
Photo of Mrs. Lillian B. Goldsmith
PHILANTHROPY AND CIVICS CLUB
Mrs. Lillian B.
Mrs. Clarence Van
Graham, 1200 E. Main,
Mrs. J. B. Bonnaun 1057 W. 40th Place…………...…………..…………Second Vice-President
Mrs. W. Albert, 2306 West Boulevard………………..………..……………Recording Secretary
Mrs. Frank Wiggins,
Mrs. M. Miller,
Mrs. Harry M. Wier, 4509 S. Van Ness…………………………………………………Treasurer
Mrs. A. W. Filson Mrs. A. E. Magnus Mrs. Charles H. Stillwell
Mrs. G. Pyle Mrs. Charles Jacobsen
To work in love,
Love in work and work for love.
With this as its creed, the Philanthropy and
Civics Club of Los Angeles occupies a unique place among the women’s
organizations of the Southland. While it
is one of the youngest, it is also one of the strongest clubs of
Not one member but will say that the phenomenal success of the Philanthropy and Civics Club is due largely to the fact that it was wise enough to choose for its first, second, third, and fourth president one of the most widely known and best beloved women of California, Lillian Burkhart Goldsmith, who is also well known throughout the nation in the dramatic and club world, not only on account of her personality but because of her achievements.
Organized in June 1919, the Philanthropy and Civics membership has grown from twenty-three to six hundred and fifty. Unlike many other clubs the majority of these are working members, literally using their heads, hands, and feet, for on the meeting day every Thursday, several dozen women meet to sew garments for the poor in the morning, keeping twelve sewing machines busy all the time.
Its record is one of unselfish achievement, for during these less than three years of organization has not devoted its time to culture only, but has always been ready with money, sympathy, and clothing to aid the needy. In this time, garments to the stupendous number of six thousand have been made and given away. More than fourteen thousand dollars have been earned and spent for scholarships for students who could not otherwise have attended school and college, for hospital care, for the suffering, and milk for undernourished children.
Meetings are held at the Elks Clubhouse, the programs being preceded by luncheons which do much to foster friendships among club members. The programs every Thursday afternoon include such topics as civics, drama, the sciences, and music. They compare favorably with the best programs of the state.
The club is fortunate in having a president who is capable of entertainingly giving the program herself, if a speaker or entertainer does not arrive.
In its membership, the Philanthropy and Civics Club numbers at least thirty women who have served with distinction in other clubs. It has a substantial nest egg in the bank for a clubhouse which will probably be a reality in another year.
This article was
officially contributed by a member of the Philanthropy and Civics Club,
Photo of Mrs. Max C. Sloss
WOMEN OF HEART AND INTELLECT
Women of heart and intellect, in their consecrated service along definite philanthropic lines, have brought to light ways and means for the alleviation of human ills. They have awakened hope within the hearts of those with whom their labors have brought them into close fellowship.
One of the most brilliant names in state
educational work is that of Blanche Jessica Peixotto,
Ph.D., member of the faculty of the
Miss Ada Sweet of
Santa Rosa is one of the women in
Mrs. Max C. Sloss
Mrs. J. J. Gottlob
Only those who have had an opportunity of
taking part in child-placing realize how many child-hungry men and women there
are in the world, according to Mary E. Brusie, in
charge of the Child-Placing Department of the Native Sons and the Native
Daughters of the Golden West. This
department has a committee of ten members representing all religions. Five trained workers and a standing army of
volunteers representing the two organizations of native born men and women from
one end of
Although her work differs in the manner of
its procedure yet tending toward the great common citizenry of the nation, Mrs.
Anne Godfrey brings her ability to the limelight in Americanization
processes. Mrs. Godfrey works directly
under Raymond F. Crist of Washington, D. C.,
Novel philanthropy is declared by Mrs. Henry
Sahlein, chairman of the Salvage Shop under the
supervision of the
Miss Amy Steinhart, chief agent of the Children’s
Department of the State Board of Control, in a report to Governor Stephens of
Transcribed by Pat Houser.
Proofread by Betty Vickroy.
© 2005 Nancy Pratt Melton