Search billions of records on







Of good Scotch descent, Mr. Tannahill was born in the “Land o’ Cakes,” in July, 1824. As early as 1850, he found himself mining on Curtis’ Creek, which pursuit he followed for a short time, going afterwards to Stockton, but again returning in the Fall of ‘50, and started a store at what is now  Groveland, but which at that time was called Garrote. Continuing assiduously in that business, he has ever since maintained agreeable business relations with the inhabitants of that section. Until a few years since, he had also conducted certain milling operations. Married, Christmas, 1859, Miss May A. Dexter, formerly of Providence, Rhode Island. Two children; James Alexander, and Cordelia Agnes.


“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Published by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg.321.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton 






This pioneer settler was born in the Duchy of Schleswig-­Holstein on July 20, 1825.  He went to sea when twelve years old, and followed a mariners life till he arrived in this State in the Fall of 1849.  He remained in San Fran­cisco and was boating on the bay for a short time, then started for the mines, making a halt at Spanish Bar, on the American river.  He returned to the city, where he engaged in business, till he was burned out, and then went to Vallecito, but again returned to San Francisco to go to the mines at Mission Bar, where he remained during the Winter of 1852.  During the Winter he went to Nevada City and purchased provisions, and had to pay 10 cents a pound to get them hauled twelve miles, that being the distance to his camp.  In May, 1853, he came to his present place of residence, near Tuttletown, where he has since lived, and has engaged in farming, mining and raising carp.  He built the first carp pond in the county, and now has three ponds with a school of about three hundred fish.  Mr. Thompson married Mary Mills, May 1, 1853.  She is a native of England, and was born September 30, 1833.  Henry A., Mary E, Belle C., Frederick M. and Katie are their children.



“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 396.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton








This old settler of Tuolumne County is a native of Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, and was born May 2, 1806.  In 1828 he commenced the study of medicine at Buffalo, New York.  He located at Steubenville, Ohio, in 1830, and in 1834 removed to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he practiced his profession four years, then graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, in 1836.  He resided in Pittsburgh until 1845, at which time a fire destroyed all his property, and he then located at Cin­cinnati, Ohio.  In 1849 he came to this State, arriving in San Francisco on the 5th of July of that year.  He at once went to Big Bar, on the middle fork of the American River where he mined and practiced his profession.  In the Fall of that year he returned East, and in the following Spring, with his family, again came to California, settling in So­nora, on the 23d of August, 1850.  In the Fall of 1851 he built his Barnum House, near the head of Washington street, which hotel he kept until it was burned, in 1853.  He remained in Sonora, living with his son-in-law, Captain Green, of the City Hotel, until the Spring of 1854, then moving to San Francisco.  After a residence of two years in that place, he went to Iowa Hill, Placer County, where he lived until 1862, then going to Idaho, thence to Mon­tana and Washington Territories, but afterwards returned to San Francisco, where he lived three years.  He came to Columbia in 1872, where he devoted his time to mining and the practice of his profession.  He married Rachel o-­hanna Bartlett, a native of Jefferson County, Ohio.  This estimable lady, with Mrs. Holden and Mrs. Brodigan, were the only American female residents of Sonora in the early part of 1849.  Mrs. Tibbits was a lady of refinement, holding advanced ideas, and much respected by all who knew her, not only for the many excellent personal qualities, but as one of the pioneer mothers of California.


“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 415-416.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton






This gentleman, one of Tuolumne’s old settlers, was born in Franklin County, Maine, on May 9, 1829. At the common schools in Franklin County he was educated, and was raised in agricultural pursuits. He came to California via the Isthmus of Panama, and arrived in San Francisco in July, 1852. He came direct to this county, first settling at Columbia, where he mined for about eight years. In 1860 he settled on his farm, located one mile north from Columbia. He has planted a vineyard of about twelve acres, which is now in bearing. Some of his grapes are sold in the market, and others are manufactured into wine. He has also planted about three acres of fruit trees, which are now in bearing. Fruit and hay are the principal pro­ducts of the ranch. Mr. Trask married Susan M. Pierce, on September 19, 1854. She is a native of Penobscot County, Maine. They have three living children, George M., Florence M. and Clara J. One deceased, Charles A.


“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Pub’d by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 344-345. 

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton






Born in Livingston county, New York, on March 3, 1821. The son of a farmer, he passed his minority upon the paternal acres, going when twenty-one to Ohio and subse­quently to Wisconsin, eventually coming to California. The date of his arrival was the Spring of 1850.  His first mining was done at Placerville, afterwards working at Mokelumne Hill. In September, 1852, he came to Tuol­umne and began mining at Table Mountain.  After six months spent there, he proceeded toAlgerine and remained until 1868, when he moved on his ranch of one hundred and sixty acres on the Sonora and Jacksonville road.  Mr. and Mrs. Twist have one child, Ennis


“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Published by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 319.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton 




© 2002 Nancy Pratt Melton

Tuolumne County Biographies