CHARLES H. McCLORY
For nearly three decades Charles H. McClory served as a justice of the peace at Angels Camp, Calaveras county, and earned an enviable reputation for the fairness and justice of his decisions. He is now devoting his attention to the insurance business, in which he is meeting with marked success. Born at Columbia, Tuolumne county, on the 13th of July, 1860, he is a son of Henry and Mary (Neale) McClory. The father came to California in 1852 and during the remaining active years of his life mined in the mother lode. His death occurred in 1906. His wife, who passed away in 1875, was a native of Ireland, whence she came to the United States in young girlhood. To them were born four children, two of whom are living.
Charles H. McClory received his educational training in the public schools at Stent, Tuolumne county, after which he herded stock until eighteen years of age. Going then to Stockton, he learned the trade of a blacksmith, in which capacity he was later employed with a dredging crew on the Sacramento River. On his return to Stockton, he followed various occupations and in 1890 engaged in the painting business. In 1893 Mr. McClory came to Angels Camp and established his permanent home. From 1899 until 1901 he served as deputy county clerk and in 1902 was elected justice of the peace, in which office he served continuously until December, 1930, when he retired in order to devote all of his attention to his insurance business.
Mr. McClory was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth J. Lewis, of Stanislaus County, and to them have been born four children: Frank, who is secretary of the Stockton Security and Loan Company; Rollie L., who served in the World War; Harry G, a veteran of the late war, who is now assistant manager of the Pacific Finance Company; and Helen, the wife of George Kerby. There are also four grandchildren. Mr. McClory is a staunch Democrat in his political views. He has lived an honorable and useful life in this community and no man stands higher in public esteem.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.