Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

 

 

J. W. McCARTHY

 

The subject of this sketch was born in Columbia, on May 5, 1853.  He resided here till 1870, when he moved to Stanislaus.  He was elected Minute Clerk of the Assembly in 1875 and 1877, and was elected County Clerk in 1877, and was his own successor for three terms.  He is still County Clerk, and a nominee of the Democratic Con­vention for Clerk of the Supreme Court of the State.  His brother, C. F. McCarthy, is now the nominee to succeed him as County Clerk.  He is not married.

 

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 418.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton

 

 

 

CALVIN B. McDONALD

 

Of Scotch descent, a newspaper writer of considerable ability, and of great, though misdirected, energy, had once in him the promise of a leading man.  He has been connected as editorial writer with many of the secondary newspapers of California and Oregon, and also lectures some, indifferently well; was in Sonora during war times, doing work for the American Flag, whose radical principles just suited him.

 

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 399.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton

 

 

 

ROBERT McGARVEY

 

A ‘49er, was Chairman of the first Board of Supervisors.  He married Miss Charlotte L. Davis in 1854.  With his cultivated and refined family he resides at Ukiah, Mendo­cino County, where he holds the office of Superior Judge. 

 

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 398.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton

 

 

 

 

H. B. McNEIL & C. C. BROWN

 

Who practiced law here, are still remembered as intelligent and respected members of the Bar.  The latter, after a successful career, died in Sonora on the 8th of March, 1868.  The former, after serving County Judge, succeeding Hon Chas. Randall, removed to San Francisco, where he now resides.

 

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 384.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton

 

 

H. B. McNEILL

 

Previously referred to, furnishes these additional facts in regard to his interesting career: He was born in Oxford, New York, April 4, 1820.  In 1849 he went to California, via Cape Horn, on the brig Mary Tucker, arriving in San Francisco on July 6.  Stopping but a short time at San Francisco, he proceeded to Tuolumne County, and mined for awhile on Sullivan’s Creek.  In 1850 he went to the Sandwich Islands for a period of four months.  Returning to California, Mr. McNeill made two trips to Panama, and in 1852 again went to Tuolumne County, there receiving the position of Deputy, under County Clerk W. H. Ford.

 

Having been admitted to the Bar before coming West, he commenced practicing law at Sonora in the Winter of 1852, which he continued until 1872.  In 1871 Mr. McNeill was elected County Judge, taking his seat in 1872, remaining the on the bench four years and resuming practice in 1876.  He resided in Tuolumne County two years longer, from there going to San Francisco to enter the Revenue Service, in which capacity he still continues.

 

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 412.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton

 

 

 

 

THE MACOMBER BROTHERS.

 

These old settlers, and well known residents of this county, are natives of Utica, New York.  The elder, George Macomber, was instructed in mercantile pursuits at several of the prominent business houses in New York City, and since that time has been engaged in business in St. Louis and New Orleans.

 

The three brothers came to California in 1850, crossing the plains, a part of the journey having been made in com­pany with Holliday’s, Dr. Knox’s and Crow’s trains.  They settled at Stockton, where they were in business for a time, then removing to the mines, where they commenced mining for gold at Angle’s Camp, Jamestown and Shaw’s Flat.  George and Frederick Macomber were also among the first engaged in using the hydraulic on their mines in Amador County, where they worked off and on for twelve years, finally permanently settling at Sonora, where they have since lived.  These gentlemen were in company with Mr. Brown in the ownership of the well known Big Table Mountain Lead, which at one time paid as high as $16 to the single pan of earth, and 100 ounces of gold per day.  They also owned in the Mexican Claim, purchased of May, Solomon and Antonio, in Tennessee Gulch.  The ground was yellow gravel, but, notwithstanding this fact, paid at times from $5 to $50 to the pan, and some pieces valued at $800.

 

George and Frederick Macomber are now located in the north part of Sonora, where their pickle, cider and vinegar works are established, producing the finest quality of champagne cider, pickles and cider vinegar on the Pacific Coast, and shipping largely throughout the Pacific States and Territories.

 

 “A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882.  Pg. 414-415.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton

 

 

 

J.W. MAJOR

 

East Tennessee is the land of Mr. Major’s nativity, he having been born there on the 3d of May, 1832. Coming across the plains by the northern route in 1853, he first busied himself for a period of eighteen months in farming on Dry Creek, in the San Joaquin Valley. The next year           was spent near Folsom, when, organizing a cattle train, he     
proceeded then to Stockton via Sonora, remaining in the neighborhood of Stockton until 1857, coming at that time to Tuolumne, and purchasing his present property, near Sonora, where he has since resided, with the exception of three years spent in running the mill at the Ferguson mine, in Mariposa county.  Mr. Major possesses about four hundred and eighty acres of land. He was married to Miss H Ferguson in March, 1865.

 

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Published by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 318.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton 




© 2002 Nancy Pratt Melton



Tuolumne County Biographies