THE CORNING OBSERVER
One of the most influential and successful evening newspapers of northern California is the Corning Observer, a democratic organ, now owned and published by Mrs. T. E. Harper at Corning, California. This newspaper was originally established in 1882, as a weekly issue, by Tom Dawson, and was later published by a Mr. McGinnis. In 1908, T. E. Harper assumed control, and in 1918 changed the paper to a daily issue, except Sunday. He and his wife conducted the Observer until 1928, when Mr. Harper died, since which time Mrs. Harper has had complete charge of the publication. She has a subscription list of eight hundred, owns the building in which the plant is housed, and operates on a competitive scale of advertising. She is a member of the California News Publishers Association. Mrs. Harper has made an outstanding success of her newspaper, and not only makes of it an interesting news medium, but an influence for the benefit of the community. The make-up of the Observer is after the modern style, and is most attractive.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Harper were born in the state of Texas, and were married in 1902. Mrs. Harper’s maiden name was Buna Maude Wilbourn. Mr. Harper was active in Masonry, had attained the thirty-second degree, and also held membership in Ben Ali Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Sacramento. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the D. O. K. K., also the Rotary Club of Corning. He was the organizer and a director of the Corning Bank, and was president of the Corning Chamber of Commerce for years. Mr. and Mrs. Harper both held membership in the Presbyterian Church, and Mrs. Harper belongs to the Order of the Eastern Star and the Coring Women’s Club.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids