PHILIP A. CROSBY
The city of Loyalton received a valuable addition to its list of capable business men and public-spirited citizens when, on October 15, 1925, Philip A. Crosby located here and engaged in the drug business. His record since then has been one of continued success and he now stands in the front rank of those who are promoting the commercial and civic welfare of this community. Mr. Crosby was born at Aspen, Colorado, on the 19th of July, 1887, and is the only child of George F. and Elizabeth (Kamm) Crosby, well known Colorado people. His father, who was a druggist, started the first newspaper in Pitkin County, Colorado, and also served as county clerk and recorder of deeds there in 1887. Later the family lived at Colorado Springs, at Cripple Creek, Grand Junction, Julesburg and about nine other places, so that Philip A. Crosby received his education in many different schools. His father became heavily interested in silver production, and also lost heavily in the silver slump which followed in the wake of the demonetization of silver, resulting in a panic and ruin to those whose interests were in the silver industry.
Philip A. Crosby received his high school education in Colorado and in 1906 came to California, arriving here just prior to the great earthquake and fire in San Francisco. He had returned to Colorado just before that event, but soon afterward again came to this state and his first work here was in checking up the building material that went into the construction of the new Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco during 1906-07. He then secured a position as a clerk in a retail drug store in Berkeley, where he remained until 1910. During 1911 and 1912 he took a special course in chemistry at the University of California, after which he engaged in research work in the chemical laboratory of the Metropolitan Match Company at Stege, California. From 1913 to 1917 he was employed as an analytical chemist by the Standard Oil Company at Richmond, this state, after which he was an industrial chemist in the Western Laboratories at Oakland, California. For a short time he had a small retail pharmacy of his own in Berkeley, where he resided from 1912 to 1918. From 1918 until 1925 he was in the employ of the Roxana Petroleum Corporation at Wood River, near Alton, Illinois, where he served as assistant chemist for two years and as chief chemist for the last five years. During this period he was a member of the American Chemical Society and the American Society for the Testing of Materials, thus mingling with the best known chemists in the country. He also made several trips every year, attending conventions of chemists in New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and other cities. In 1925 Mr. Crosby took a six months’ vacation, during which he traveled much, looking for a favorable location in which to establish business. He liked Loyalton so well that he bought out the drug store here, which was then unpretentious and poorly equipped. One of his first acts was to put in an up-to-date prescription case, and from that time to the present he has been quick to sense and meet the needs of the town, having added other lines of goods from time to time. He now keeps a large stock of pure drugs and proprietary remedies, with the usual auxiliary lines of a modern drug store, and also has other departments, including hardware, books, magazines, stationery, dry goods, paints, oils, brushes, varnishes, and similar goods, and has recently branched out into the building materials business, carrying a large stock of builders’ supplies and other heavy material. So well is he patronized in this line that he utilizes two delivery trucks. His place of business is a veritable beehive of activity, requiring the constant services of himself, his wife and four clerks. Mr. Crosby has backed his faith in Loyalton with his money and in addition to his heavy investments in his own business he has bought considerable real estate here. He owns the two story frame building in which his drugstore is located, the second floor being utilized as his home; he owns the building in which the post office is located, the building occupied by the Sierra Valley News, the barber shop building and the corner building occupied by the Kozy Korner Confectionery. His pharmacy is the Rexall agency for this portion of eastern California, and in it is also located the telephone exchange of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company.
On September 22, 1912, at Colorado Springs, Colorado, Mr. Crosby was united in marriage to Miss Virginia Parker, of that city, and they are the parents of three children, Nelda, aged eleven years, Dale aged seven, and Dorris, five years.
Mr. Crosby is a member of Loyalton Lodge, No. 359, F. & A. M.; the chapter of Royal Arch Masons at Alton, Illinois; the council of Royal and Select Masters at Alton; and the Mystic Shrine at East St. Louis. He is a Republican in his political views, though in the local elections he votes for the men whom he regards as best fitted for the offices they seek, regardless of party lines. A man of sterling integrity, pleasing personality and friendly manner, he has won a high place in this community and is well liked by all.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: Wooldridge, J.W.Major History of Sacramento Valley California, Vol. 3 Pages 204-206. Pioneer Historical Publishing Co. Chicago 1931.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.