Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

 

 

 

PROTECTION HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 1.

 

 

                We have been unable to locate the records of this, by many of the old pioneers, thought to be the first fire company organized in this city. Mr. Tinkham gives November 15, 1851, as the date of its organization. We quote verbatim the sketch of the company in his History of Stockton: "The committee of June 18, 1850, as we have seen, urged the citizens to contribute a sum of money and procure five hooks and ladders and place them in different parts of the town. Public spirited citizens took the matter in hand and solicited subscriptions, and having purchased the truck, it was ready for service October 8th, and the Mayor notified the Council of the fact. Mr. Geo. R. Buffum, whose name appears in connection with the report, was unable to persuade men to form a company, and the hooks were placed in charge of the Street Commissioner and were kept at the court house square. When the engine house on the bridge was completed in February, 1851, they removed to that building, occupying it jointly with the Webers. The following were among the charter members of this company:

                                       

                                               W. B. Lossee

                                               J. W. Underhill

                                               W. W. Trembly

                                                G. W. Carlisle

                                               D. W. Trembly

                                               George D. White

                                               George H. Sanderson

                                               M. B. Kenney

                                               W. H. Knight

                                               N. Fairbanks

                                               J. S. Meckley

 

                   Where the truck came from or what its cost is not known. It is said by some to have been purchased in San Francisco; by others, that it was made in Stockton, and that the axles were hammered out of bar iron. The truck was ready for use but no company was formed until November 15, 1851. This is the date of the organization claimed by the Protection Company. In October Mr. Wm. Baker had enrolled a body of thirty men willing to organize and manage the truck, and petitioned the Council October 24th for authority to complete the organization. The prayer was granted on condition that they act under the direction of the Chief Engineer. The truck was placed on the bridge with the Weber engine but after the Webers obtained their new engine the Council erected a suitable building for the Protection Company on Market square at a cost of $500. During the next year the Eurekas were organized and another house was necessary. A brick building was finished for the joint use of the Eurekas and the Protection Company. This building was erected on the same lot that these companies now occupy. The history of this company is brief, and nothing of importance occurred until 1866, when their uniforms were destroyed."

 

 

 

Transcriber Sally Kaleta.

Proofreader Betty Vickroy.


2002-2007  Nancy Pratt Melton.






 

 

STOCKTON FIRE DEPARTMENT INDEX

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY'S CALIFORNIA STATEWIDE DATABASES

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY'S SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY DATABASES

GOLDEN NUGGET LIBRARY INDEX