JAMES P. TAYLOR
James P. Taylor, dealer in wood and coal, corner First and Franklin streets,
with branch office at 455 Ninth Street, Oakland, was born in Sydney, Australia,
January 23, 1846, a son of James and Mary Ann (McKew) Taylor. The father,
born in Scotland, and the mother in England, were married in Australia, and a
few years later came to California, arriving in San Francisco April 1, 1849,
with their two children, James P., the subject of this sketch, and Sarah A.,
now Mrs. Alfred A. Fisher, formerly San Francisco, but at present residing in
Brooklyn, New York. The father died of sunstroke in San Francisco in
1853, comparatively young. Soon afterward the subject of the sketch was
sent to his grandmother, Mrs. Margaret (Munroe) Taylor, of Edinburg, Scotland,
where he received his education. Mrs. Taylor lived to the age of
eighty-one. In his sixteenth year James P. was apprenticed to a bookseller
and stationer of that city, and three years later, in 1864, he returned to San
Francisco. Here he became a clerk in the drug store of Dr. Whitney, where
he remained two years. In 1886 he wet to British Columbia and opened the
first drug store at Barkerville, in the Caribou mining district, remaining so
engaged until 1872, where he remained two years, when he returned to San
Francisco. He then entered on what has proved to be his main career, by
taking a position in the office of the proprietors of the Wilmington coal mine,
remaining with them and their successors, R. Dunsmuir & Co., nearly seven
years. In February, 1879, he formed a partnership with Alfred A. Fisher,
under the style of Fisher & Taylor, agents for Wellington coal in Alameda
County, and dealers in wood and coal. The firm was dissolved in April,
1890, the business since conducted by Mr. Taylor alone, under the style of
James P. Taylor, who gives to it his undivided and exclusive attention, his
chief interest being the successful prosecution of his business. He is a
member of the St. Andrew's society and the Society of California Pioneers.
His mother, Mrs. Mary A. Taylor, born May 3, 1830, was again married in 1856, in San Francisco, to Dr. Frank Trevor, born in Nottingham, England, in 1813, and there bred to his profession, which he practiced for some years after coming to San Francisco. Later in life he engaged in the wood and coal business, which he continued until his death, February 5, 1883, the yard being still in the possession of the family. Mr. and Mrs. Trevor had four children, of whom one, Frank, died December 20, 1881, in his eighteenth year, and three are living (1891): Grace L., born in 1858; Henry, September 22,1861; Walter, May 30, 1868. The three received a full grammar-school course, and Henry was graduated from Heald's Business College. He is now a bookkeeper in a mercantile house in San Francisco, and Walter is clerk for his brother, Mr. James P. Taylor.
Transcribed 11-30-04 by Louise E. Shoemaker.
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, page 624-625, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Louise E. Shoemaker.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids