Fred Schumann is the manager of the California Schuetzen Club Park, San Rafael. The Schuetzen Club was organized January 6, 1876, and is designed to be a benevolent as well as a pleasure association. The famous park or pleasure resort of San Rafael, bearing the club’s name, is the property of the club. The grounds consist of thirty-two acres, eighteen acres of which is in groves, shade trees, benches and tables for the accommodation of picnics and pleasure-seekers. The grand pavilion for dancing covers an area of 98 x 128 feet, the floor being 75 x 110 feet, with clear white chairs arranged about the sides and space at the east end for the orchestra. The shooting gallery is 40 x 110 feet, nicely furnished with tables for the accommodation of guns, cartridges, etc., also a mechanical appliance for registering the shots when the shooter has struck the target. The bowling alley is eighty-five feet in length, the dining-room 36 x 50, and in the same building are two large rooms used as kitchens. The residence of the manager is a neat cottage of four rooms. A portion of the grounds are already planted to ornamental trees and shrubs. The park was opened to the public on Sunday, April 5, 1891, and undoubtedly excels any pleasure resort in the State outside of San Francisco. The cost of this mammoth park and its surroundings will reach, when completed, between $50,000 and $60,000.
The manager, Mr. Schumann, is one of the those jovial, whole-souled Germans whom it is a pleasure to meet. He is a native of Holstein, born January 20, 1853, educated in his native country, and reared to the trade of a baker. He is the fourth of six children born to Fred and Lena (Seinn) Schumann; the former is deceased. Our subject came to America in 1872, locating in New York city, where he followed his trade until 1876, at which time he came to San Francisco, being employed by the firm of Schrad & Westerfield, bakers of that city, for a period of four years. In 1880 he began business on his own account at 504 Montgomery street, and conducted the same until 1890, and still holds an interest in the bakery and restaurant at 521 Montgomery street. He took charge of the club grounds March 15, 1890.
Mr. Schumann was married at Oakland October 22, 1884, to Miss Frederica Knock, a native of Germany, and they had one son, now deceased. Socially Mr. Schumann affiliates with the I. O. O. F. Lodge, No. 257, of San Francisco, also the Schuetzen Verein and Bakers’ Verein.
Transcribed by Donna L. Becker
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, pages 610-611, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Donna L. Becker.