San Francisco County
GARRET W. McENERNEY
Garret W. McEnerney, attorney, was the son of John and Margaret (Gunoude) McEnerney. He was born in Napa, California, on February 17,1865.
After his early education, which was obtained in both public and private schools, he studied for two years at Sacramento Institute, then St. Mary’s College of San Francisco, graduating from the latter in 1881 with the B.S. degree. The Catholic University of America conferred on him the D.C.L. degree in 1915. He studied law at Napa, California, from 1882 to 1886 and was admitted to the California bar in 1886.
Mr. McEnerney located in San Francisco, California, where he became a member of the firm of Spencer & McEnerney in 1889. In 1892 and 1893 he was a member of the firm of Maxwell & McEnerney; member of the firm of Stanley, Hayes, McEnerney & Bradley, 1893 to 1895; then engaged in individual practice.
Mr. McEnerney served as attorney for the State of California and also for the San Francisco Board of Health, 1896 to 1899; counsel for the United States, representing the archbishop and bishops of California in arbitration between the United States and Mexico at The Hague, in relation to the Pius Fund of the Californians, 1902. He promoted the passage of the legislature, after the San Francisco earthquake and fire in 1906 and also defended the validity in courts of the “McEnerney Act” to permit owners of real property to restore their record titles which had been lost by destruction of public records.
He served as Regent of the University of California from 1901 until his death; member of the American Bar Association, State Bar of California and the Bar Association of San Francisco; member of the Pacific-Union Club, Olympic Club and Bohemian Club.
On August 20, 1896, Mr. McEnerney married Elizabeth Hogan of Napa, California (died September 25, 1900). His second marriage was to Genevieve Green on April 14, 1903.
Transcribed By: Cecelia M. Setty.
Source: “Eminent Californians 1953”, by Lee E. Johnson & C. W. Taylor. Page 13, C. W. Taylor Publ., Palo Alto, California, 1953.
© 2013 Cecelia M. Setty.