JAMES GREY JEWELL, M. D.
James Grey Jewell, M.D., who has been Superintendent and Resident Physician of the "Home for the Care of the Inebriate," has been a resident of California since 1874, and engaged in the practice of medicine since 1853. He was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in 1830, and his early education was received in that county up to the age of twelve years. At that age he went to Vicksburg, Mississippi, where he studied under private tutors at the residence of his brother, now Judge R.G.W. Jewell, of Summit, Mississippi. For a few years Dr. Jewell was engaged in steamboating on the lower Mississippi, having been clerk of some of the larger steamboats of that day. Later he engaged in journalism on the Vicksburg Whig, where he remained for nearly three years, and at the same time devoted his spare time to the study of medicine, under the preceptorship of the celebrated Dr. Calaniss, of Vicksburg. He next became the reading clerk of the House of Representatives at Jackson, which position he held until he was appointed private secretary to Governor Foote, of Mississippi, for two years. In 1852 Dr. Jewell returned to the North and entered the United States Civil Service at Washington, District of Columbia, in the Sixth Auditor's office of the Treasury Department. At the same time he entered the Medical Department of the University of Georgetown, District of Columbia, where he graduated in 1854. While attending to his official duties, the Doctor has yet found time to devote to the professional work.
He remained in the government service until 1861, when he helped to raise the First Regiment of the District of Columbia Volunteers, which was also the first regiment of volunteers mustered into the United States service, which was commonly known to Washington as the Union Regiment. In this command Dr. Jewell entered as a private soldier, but was elected Second Lieutenant of Company B, and later as Colonel of the regiment. This latter position he declined, thinking his experience scarcely warranted him in accepting so responsible a position. The position of Major was later tendered him by General Scott, which he accepted, and the regiment being divided into two battalions, he took command of the second. The regiment being mustered out, he again took his position in the Civil Service. Dr. Jewell was called upon by General Scott just before the battle of Bull Run to carry dispatches to General Patterson within the rebel lines. He was also called out several times during the war to assist in the defense of Washington. He remained in the civil service until 1869, in which year he was tendered by President Grant the position of United States Consul to Singapore. This position he held three years, returning in 1871 to the United States via China, Japan, Central America and California. He then entered into private practice in New York city until 1874, in which year he came to California, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Before accepting his present position, Dr. Jewell was for two years the medical secretary of the Board of Health. He was appointed Superintendent of the "Home of the Inebriate" in 1881, and has held that position continuously since. He is a member of the State Medical Society of California, and of the County Medical society of San Francisco, having held the position of president of the latter society.
Dr. Jewell's family are of English descent, his grandfather having been a native, and settled in the United States in 1765. His father was a Captain in the United States army in the war of 1812-14. The Doctor's brother, Judge R. G. W. Jewell, was an uncompromising Union man in Mississippi during the late war, and has since been a Republican leader in that State. He was appointed United States Consul at Canton, China, from 1869 to 1873. The Home for the Care of the Inebriate was established in 1859 by a temperance association called the Dashaway Club, which name signifies 'dash away the cup." The club held temperance meetings, and later purchased the present Home, which they still support. They purchased the lot and erected the building known as the Irving Hall. All the property of this club, except the Home, has been sold and divided among the remaining members. This Home entertains and treats an average of 1,500 patients a year, some of the former being among the most wealthy and representative families of this coast.
Transcribed 11-10-04 Marilyn R. Pankey
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, page 606-607, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Marilyn R. Pankey.
California Biography Project
San Francisco County
Golden Nugget Library
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids