Byron Haines, D. D. S., whose office is at No. 14, Grant avenue, San Francisco, has been a resident of California since 1882, and has been engaged in the practice of dentistry since 1877. He was born in Columbus, New Jersey, in 1855, and is of English descent. His family have been residents of the United States since before the Revolutionary war, and were early settlers of Virginia. Our subject received his early education in the Hightson Institute of New Jersey and later attended the Woodworth College of Cincinnati for several years. In 1873 he commenced the study of dentistry under the preceptorship of Dr. Hilliard, a dentist of Bordentown, New Jersey, with whom he remained until his graduation. In 1875 he entered the Dental College of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1877, receiving his degree as Doctor of Dental Surgery, receiving the election from his class as its President, the election being dependent on the proficiency of the student, and requiring the sanction of the faculty. Dr. Haines was one of the originators of the Odontological Society, which was for the purpose of inducing legislation to protect the practice of dentistry against incompetent practitioners. He is the inventor of a very useful device—a right-angled dental plugger,—an instrument which he and other dentists have used with great satisfaction and advantage. For two years Dr. Haines held the position of Clinical Instructor in constructive and operative dentistry at the College of Dentistry of the University of California.
Transcribed by Donna L. Becker
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, pages 629-630, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Donna L. Becker.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids