Fulton Iron Works
Fulton Iron Works, which ranks among the most extensive and important manufactories west of the Mississippi river, is situated on Fremont, Howard and Beale streets in San Francisco, and is owned and conducted by D. B. Hinckley, James Spiers and D. E. Hayes, under the firm name of Hinckley, Spiers & Hayes. The works comprise a foundry, machine shop, boiler shop, pattern shop, etc., the plant covering a full block in length and half a block in width. The works date their origin in 1855 when Mr. Daniel B. Hinckley, in company with several other gentlemen, started the Fulton Foundry, a small concern, on Davis street, between Sacramento and California streets Mr. Hinckley being a practical foundryman and an energetic business man, the young enterprise prospered, and in 1857 he leased the land and built a foundry and machine shop on First street. The business was carried on there ten years, when the present site was secured and more ample and commodious buildings erected thereon to meet the increasing demands of trade. Daniel E. Hayes, having come to California in 1858, was employed as bookkeeper, and in 1863 he became a one-eighth owner; later his interest was increased to one-fourth, and in 1877, when Mr. Spiers came into the firm, it took its present name, the stock being equally divided between the three partners; and the boiler works of McAfie, Spiers & Co., in which Mr. Spiers had been a partner for ten years, was merged into the Fulton Iron Works. Possessing a high order of skill and large experience as a mechanical and constructing engineer, as well as fine executive ability, Mr. Spiers took charge of the mechanical department, and under the triple management of this extraordinary combination of talent, the institution has made rapid strides of progress. The range of manufacture embraces every class of machinery made of iron and steel, but the firm devote special attention to the construction of machinery for steam-ships and for milling and mining purposes. They build double, triple and quadruple expansion steam engines, high and low pressure marine engines for stern-wheel steamers, beam engines for ferry steamers, Corliss engines and miscellaneous machinery. During the past five years they have manufactured engines and boilers for some ninety vessels, and have built a number of ships complete, including hulls and machinery. Quartz-mills, concentrators, all kinds of hoisting and pumping machinery and appliances for mines, and sawmill and cable railway machinery are constructed by the Fulton Iron Works. The company has half a million dollars invested in their plant and business, employ 400 skilled workmen and do a business of a million dollars a year.
Transcribed 9-7-04 Marilyn R. Pankey
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, page 506-507, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Marilyn R. Pankey.
California Biography Project
San Francisco County
Golden Nugget Library