George F. Bradbury, M.D.
George F. Bradbury, M.D., whose office is at No. 944 Twenty-first street, has been a resident of California for the past twenty-four years, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine for thirteen years. He was born in La Porte, Indiana, in 1852; his father was one of the well-known physicians of San Francisco for many years. He was a native of North Carolina, but moved to the North long before the war and practiced medicine in Indiana and Chicago, Illinois. In 1866 George F. came with his parents to California, where he continued his studies in the public schools, graduating at the high school of San Francisco in 1872. He soon after commenced the study of medicine under the proprietorship of his father, Dr. W. T. Bradbury, who was for many years one of the professors of the medical department of the University of California. Dr. Bradbury entered that institution in 1874, graduating in 1878. He at once entered into private practice in San Francisco, where he has since continued in practice, except during the years of 1881-3, when he was in Colusa, Mexico, in charge of a yellow-fever hospital for the Mexican government. He was superintendent of the small-pox hospital of San Francisco during the small-pox epidemic of 1887-’88, and was assistant quarantine officer during the years 1888-’89. He has since that time been resident physician of the City and County Hospital.
Transcribed by Walt Howe.
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, pages 562-563, Lewis Publishing Co., 1892.
© 2004 Walt Howe.