W. H. Armitage, architect of San Francisco, is a native of England, and a son of John Armitage, a large manufacturer of Sheffield, where our subject was born in 1861. He was reared and received his preliminary education in and near his native city, and passed his junior examination at Cambridge before he was sixteen years of age. He went to London, taking the third-grade prize at South Kensington. Next he was articled to Stockton & Gibbs, prominent architects, and after serving his time there he came to the United States, and after serving in an architect’s office in New York he went to Denver for a time, and came to San Francisco in April, 1883, and opened an office. For the past seven years he has been identified with the profession, and has built up a very desirable business. Among the many buildings erected by him are: Herman Meese’s on Mission street, between Third and Fourth; Dodge Brothers, the Aaronson on Stockton street, the Yuma at San Diego, Dr. M. E. Gunzales’, Farmers’ Bank at Fresno (granite and pressed brick), the Clark residence, the Fabry Building, the Harley warehouse and many others. He has orders, and is preparing designs for several large brick buildings. He came here an entire stranger, and his success is owing to his own efforts, energy and ability.
Transcribed Karen L. Pratt.
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, page 639, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Karen L. Pratt.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids