San Diego County
JOHN B. MANNIX
Two decades have passed since the death of John B. Mannix, yet he is still remembered by many of the residents of San Diego as a prominent attorney of the city where he was actively engaged in the practice of law for a quarter of a century.
He was a native of Ballybunnion, County Kerry, Ireland, born February 17, 1843, a son of Timothy and Johanna (Scanlon) Mannix. In 1863 he was graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University of Delaware, Ohio, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts.
He studied law with Judge Bellamy Storer, one of the most prominent jurists of the country, receiving his degree of LL. D. in 1866 at the Cincinnati Law School. The practice of law was to claim his attention throughout the entire period of his active career.
It was in 1888 that he came to San Diego, California, and henceforth was actively identified with the civic and cultural interests of the community, serving also for one term as president of the bar association.
He enjoyed the confidence and friendship of the successive diocesan Bishops Mora, Montgomery and Conaty, as well as that of the Rev. A. D. Ubach, pioneer pastor of San Diego.
From 1909 until his death four years later, his son-in-law, Edward T. Lannon was associated in practice with him under the firm name of Mannix and Lannon. A review of the career of E. T. Lannon, successful attorney of San Diego, may be found in another part of this work.
On the 15th of May, 1873, Mr. Mannix married Miss Mary E. Walsh, daughter of Michael and Margaret (Mansfield) Walsh, who survives him. A separate biography of Mrs. Mannix, well known in the Catholic literary world, is printed on another page of this publication.
Mr. Mannix was a Grand Knight of the Knights of Columbus, a member of the Catholic Knights of America, the University Club and the Newman Club of Los Angles.
He passed away May 23, 1913, at the age of seventy years.
Transcribed by V. Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: California of the South Vol. III, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 221-222, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis. 1933.
© 2012 V. Gerald Iaquinta.