San Diego County
EDWARD T. LANNON
Edward T. Lannon, who has successfully engaged in law practice in San Diego since 1909, maintains well-equipped offices at 948 Third Avenue. He is a native of Alexandria, Virginia, a son of John and Johanna Valentine (Reddy) Lannon. John Lannon was for thirty years in active business at Alexandria as a wholesale grocer.
“Lannon’s Wharf” was next to that of the old Alexandria and Washington Ferry Company. In the “Gay Nineties” visitors to Washington made the trip to Mount Vernon by boat, and so were afforded a view of Alexandria from the Potomac River. “Lannon’s Corner” is at Cameron and Oronoka streets where the Stepping Stones are. Small boys use the stones at all times, grown-ups only in wet weather.
The family numbered three sons and two daughters, of whom John David, a New York lawyer, and James P., captain, U. S. N., are now living.
An uncle, James P., was killed at the age of seventeen in the first battle of the Civil War. He was a member of the Robert Emmett Brigade of the Seventeenth Virginia Regiment, C. S. A. This regiment was made up of residents of Alexandria.
Edward T. Lannon attended Potomac Academy and the University of Virginia in his native state and subsequently entered the University of Colorado, from which he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1905, while two years later the same institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was admitted to the Oklahoma bar in 1907 and during the two succeeding years engaged in practice at El Reno, Oklahoma. In 1909 he was admitted to the California bar and took up the work of his chosen profession in San Diego in association with John B. Mannix, under the firm name of Mannix & Lannon. The senior member of the firm passed away in 1913 since when Mr. Lannon has continued in practice independently, specializing in bank and business law. A review of the career of the late John B. Mannix may be found on another page of this work. Mr. Lannon was appointed United States Referee in Bankruptcy in 1914 and held that office until 1926. He was for a number of year’s city Judge of Coronado, California, where he resides, and he has membership in the San Diego, California State and American Bar Associations.
Mr. Lannon married Alice Mannix, a daughter of John B. and Mary E. (Walsh) Mannix. A separate biography of Mrs. Mary E. Mannix, widely known author of San Diego, appears in another part of this publication. Mr. and Mrs. Lannon reside at 638 Adella Lane in Coronado, California.
Mr. Lannon has been a member of the Democratic county committee of San Diego and was one of the four-minute men on the local speakers’ bureau. He is a communicant of the Catholic Church and fraternally is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus and with San Diego Lodge, No. 168, B. P. O. E. His name is also on the membership rolls of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce, the Amphion Club, the Coronado Country Club, the University Club and the Phi Delta Theta college fraternity.
Transcribed by V. Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: California of the South Vol. III, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 225-226, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis. 1933.
© 2012 V. Gerald Iaquinta.