San Diego County
THE CHULA VISTA STAR
The Chula Vista Star, published by L. L. Thompson, is one of the most modern and progressive weeklies in San Diego County. In 1932 the paper was moved from the old adobe building on F Street which it had occupied for ten years, to a new and modern structure on Third Avenue, the main business thoroughfare of Chula Vista. This is one of the most modern and conveniently arranged weekly newspaper plants in southern California. Lighting facilities are ideal and the equipment has been so arranged as to facilitate work and speed up production in all departments of the shop.
The Star has undergone one of the most remarkable changes witnessed in the newspaper field in southern California in the past three years. The business was purchased May 1, 1930, by Lawrence L. Thompson from Mrs. Leafy R. Crooks, and since that time the entire equipment of the plant has been replaced; the paper has been changed from six to seven columns, and at present it is carrying more than double the volume of business. New equipment installed by the present owner includes a Scott two-revolution, four-page newspaper press; a late model C S M intertype with a capacity of nine typefaces; an eight by twelve platen press; a twelve by eighteen Chandler & Price with automatic feeder; a new paper cutter; new twelve-page folding machine; about fifteen hundred pounds of new ad and job type; a new casting box; new metal saw, remelting furnace; a new perforator and stitcher; new stones, and a new and modern addressing machine for mailing.
In its new location it is not only a model newspaper office, but is one of the most attractive business houses in Chula Vista and has caused much favorable comment from newspapermen who have visited the plant. Situated on the main street, an attractive awning and sign greet the visitor to Chula Vista upon entering the city and present an air of progress and cleanliness. When the plant was moved to its new location complete modern equipment was installed.
Since taking over the Star, Mr. Thompson has worked unceasingly to make this one of the outstanding weekly newspapers in southern California. No plate matter is ever used, and an effort is made each week to fill its pages with live local news. The circulation has been increased from about five hundred to sixteen hundred thirty-five and was audited early in the year 1932 by the California Newspaper Publishers Association, making the Star one of but three weeklies in the state with an audited circulation.
Associated with Mr. Thompson in the management of the business is his wife, Minnie L. Thompson, and Walter L. Clemmons, well known in journalistic circles of this part of the state, is editor and advertising manager. Mrs. Marguerite Smith is society editor, and three country correspondents are on the staff. Two men are employed in the mechanical department. Mr. Thompson, who is a practical printer and operator, also helps out in the shop on rush days.
Transcribed by V. Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: California of the South Vol. IV, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 559-560, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis. 1933.
© 2012 V. Gerald Iaquinta.