Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

The Odd Fellows Library.

 

 

In the Odd Fellows' large block, on K. street, is third, and is designed particularly for the use of members of various Lodges of Odd Fellows in the city, being organized for that purpose in November, 1872.  It has 3,140 volumes, and a monthly circulation of between 900 and 1,100.  Its Board of Directors is composed of one member from each Lodge, as follows: President, E. Glover; Secretary, W. B. Davies; Treasurer, S. W. Butler.  Members, J. R. Ray, B.  Sheils, T. Warmby, A. H. Powers, and H. O. White.  Franklin Lenoir is Librarian.

 

 

 

Sacramento Pioneer Society.

 

 

This flourishing Society was organized on the 27th of January, 1854, with fifty-six members, and Joseph W. Winans as its first President.  The qualifications of membership required are, that this society shall be composed of native Californians, foreigners, and citizens of the United States resident in California prior to the first of January, 1850.  It now numbers 201 members in good standing.  This society owns a good, respectable looking, substantial hall on Seventh street, between J. and K., which was erected by the Pioneer Hall and Library Association, a duly incorporated society, in the year 1868.  After its completion, all the assets of the association were transferred to the parent society, and on the 18th day of June, 1877, the Hall Association was disincorporated.  The building, including the lot, cost $14,000.  Its officers for 1877-8 are: President,Hosmer P. Osborn; Recording Secretary, Asa P. Andrews; Corresponding Secretary, Albion C.  Sweetser; Treasurer, Albion C.  Sweetser; Directors--H. P.  Osborn, N. B.  Goodell, W. F. Knox, C. C. Hagelen, F. H. Russell, G. A. Putnam, G. K. Van Hensen, James McClatchy, Archibald McNeal; Marshal, G. K. Van Hensen.  The society is in excellent condition, having besides its real estate and personal property, a deposit of $3,500 in the Sacramento Savings Bank, drawing interest.

 

 

 

Source: Pen Portraits, by R. R. Parkison, San Francisco, 1878. Pages 108-112.

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton.