First Methodist Episcopal Church
WRITTEN FOR THE SIXTIETH ANNIVERSARY
FRANK KLINE BAKER, Pastor
The Present Pastorate
The present incumbent is a native of Pennsylvania, born in old Alexandria. He comes of Methodist stock away back. He was converted when past 17 years of age, soon licensed to exhort, and at 21 years of age, upon graduation from the Juniata College, was licensed to preach. His first experience in the ministry was in the coal mining regions of Pennsylvania, where he faced conditions that prepared him for his ministry in California. His post-graduate work was in the Boston University School of Theology, from which institution he graduated in the class of 1900. He joined the California Conference as a probationer in the class of 1888. All his ministry has been spent in California, except the three years (1897-1900) he spent at Boston University.
The present pastorate is marked for the spirit of unity, enthusiasm and aggressive work. Most all the departments of the work have been reorganized and have undertaken wider usefulness. The Epworth League during the first year held a membership contest which added 90 new members to its roll. The contest was followed by a banquet long to be remembered, and the League planned for a larger usefulness. The Sunday School, which is a vital question with this church, has been reorganized under a modern constitution and has grown in membership and efficiency. The other lines of work have taken on new life.
During the first year, $800 for street assessment and $1,500 still due on church improvements, were raised by the Sunday morning congregation, C. H. Dunn in charge. The church was the happy recipient of a beautiful Individual Communion Set, the gift of Mrs. C. H. Dunn. The Official Board decided as a better financial system to do a banking business and pay all bills by check on the bank. The Board voted to have printed 5,000 invitation cards for distribution among strangers, inviting them to our church. It was the sense of the Board that numbers be substituted for names on the pews, and just as soon as practicable that the pew-rent system be abolished.
November 10, 1908, the Official Board, after the lower story was flooded by high water, ordered a concrete floor laid in the hall of the lecture room. Bro. T. E. Clark offered as a gift to the church concrete steps and an iron fence leading from the street to the lecture room, which was a great improvement, and a gift highly appreciated.
Another improvement has been the substituting for the old and inadequate light in front of the church, a beautiful electric sign, with 12-inch letters on both sides, at a cost of $160. With this was the placing of a bulletin board at the corner of Sixth and K street’s.
Through the efforts of that noble band of women who compose the Ladies’ Aid Society, that which has been talked of and planned for ever since the disappearance of that first humble parsonage that housed Rev. Isaac Owen, Dr. M. C. Briggs, J. W. Ross and other pioneer pastors of this church, but always baffled accomplishment, has been accomplished, and today we have a magnificent piece of property located on 1011 P street, and within two blocks of the Capitol Park. The house is modern and contains seven rooms and bath, and large halls, and splendid basement with concrete floor. This property was secured through Bro. Bohl at a cost of $6,500, he giving his commission. The whole proposition has been carried through by Bro. Bohl, he advancing the money. The Ladies’ Aid Society, under the leadership of their intrepid President, Mrs. Ludwig Anderson, have been carrying this burden, but we expect it all to be lifted during the sixtieth anniversary.
Two items are of special importance: February 2, 1909, the Official Board, through the assurances of Mrs. C. H. Dunn of the support being well in hand, Mrs. Helen R. Peck, deaconess, was unanimously invited to become the deaconess of our church. Mrs. Peck is a graduate of “The National Training School,” San Francisco, and she is one of the most capable deconesses (sic) in the work. Another item: May 4, 1909, the Official Board authorized the pastor to appoint committees to prepare for the sixtieth anniversary, and endorsed the writing of a Souvenir History of the church for the occasion.
At the beginning of the present year, the Official Board decided to make some badly needed improvements and repairs on our excellent pipe organ, which has been in service for seventeen years. Several new stops were to be added.
Dr. C. S. Haswell
Dr. M. F. Clayton
Edwin Holt Hughes, D. D., LL. D.
Horace E. Becks, D. D., 1307 P street
Rev. Frank Kline Baker, 1011 P street
Helen R. Peck, 1016 N street
Mrs. L. H. Glide, Mrs. J. F. Reisner and Mrs. G. S. Brand
Sunday School Superintendent, U. L. Dike
President Epworth League, J. C. Carpenter
President Ladies’ Aid Society, Mrs. L. Anderson
President Methodist Brotherhood, W. D. Eastman
Superintendent Anti-Saloon League, Rev. I. B. Bristol
W. H. Dunster, 1908 M street
Chauncey H. Dunn, 2219 M street
E. P. Huston, 718 Twenty-third street
John L. Huntoon, President; Peter Bohl, Treasurer
C. H. Dunn, B. H. Marsh, Ludwig Anderson, E. P. Huston, N. D. Hulse
William Walter, Dr. J. A. McKee, William Hill, Wm. H. Dunster, C. C. Schaeffle, W. H. Scoble, T. E. Clark, Capt. E. W. Sawtelle, Job Wood, Dr. H. A. Watts, W. R. Noble, Julian W. Johnson, George L. Sackett, O. E. Bremner, J. C. Carpenter, Josiah C. Jacka, S. C. Morris, William Kellam.
No name has been so closely identified with the First Church during the last forty-three years of its history as that of Peter Bohl. From the very beginning of his membership in the church, which reaches back to the sixties, he has been closely associated with the financial interests of the church. He has served as a Trustee for the last forty-two years. He has watched over his church as a mother her child and no small detail touching its welfare has escaped his notice. He withheld neither time, money nor strength in the service of his church.
At the Conference of 1867, there was an increase of 1,200 communicants reported. This was largely through the labors of Rev. A. B. Earle, a spirit-filled evangelist, who awakened interest wherever he went.
Among that 1,200 was the name of Peter Bohl, he being one of the converts of this revival, and a man destined to take no small part in the work of the church in the following years. He has been one of the most useful and faithful and liberal laymen of the California Conference, and his influence has reached far beyond his own church.
Bro. Bohl was born of German parents in Cincinnati, October 23, 1830. He came to Sacramento in 1853, just after the terrible fire. He often attended the Sixth Street M. E. Church, and when he didn’t the Methodist preacher found him and his place of business. He often felt moved to a Christian life. Once, under the preaching of Dr. M. C. Briggs, he felt that he was a sinner and in need of a Savior. But his real conversion occurred under the labors of Mr. Earl, on the 26th of December, 1866. He immediately united with the Methodist Church. Rev. J. W. Ross being pastor, and here has lived ever since, the older he grew the dearer his church becoming to him.
It is well said it cost him something in the way of temporal prosperity to give up all for Christ, but he counted the cost, paid the price, and was blessed in the sacrifice. “He is universally respected,” said his old friend, Rev. C. V. Anthony, “and by those who know him best, dearly loved.” He has served his local church in most every office, and has served the Conference as Trustee of the University of the Pacific, also Trustee of the Superannuate’s Fund. He was highly honored by being elected as a lay-delegate to the General Conference in 1876. He has represented his church in the Lay Association of the Conference ever since its beginning, he being a charter member of it.
One has but to read the history of this church for the last forty-three years to know of the usefulness and liberality of the man of this sketch. Whatever might be said of the omissions of this brother, no one can ever accuse him of omitting any duties or failing in any loyalty to his church.
One of the finest and wisest and far-reaching business enterprises he ever undertook for his church, is the excellent residence, 1011 P street, well built and splendidly equipped, and conveniently located within two blocks of the Capitol Park and eight blocks of the church, which he bought as a parsonage for the church, he advancing the money.
John L. Huntoon was born in Croton, Vermont, in 1822. He was the son of an honest farmer, and until 19 years of age worked hard upon the farm, getting his schooling during the winter months. We find him driving a baker’s wagon at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, in 1843. Later he was a commercial traveler for H. S. Doane & Co. of Boston, and still later for Curtis & Perkins, agents for Mrs. Winslow’s popular Soothing Syrup. At one time he sold confectionary and cigars. He came to California in 1855, via Isthmus of Panama, on the steamer “George Law.” Though he dealt in sheep for a while and was also a furniture dealer, for the most part of his life he has been a hotel keeper and administrator. He served his country for two terms in the responsible position as Treasurer, and is now a Director of the People’s Bank.
He is a man well known and highly esteemed in business circles, as well as in religious and church work. His Christian life dates from the Earl meetings, when Bro. Bohl and he were converted. He identified himself with the First Church the same time of Bro. Bohl, and their lives for these forty-three years have been closely associated with the church. Our brother has served in an official capacity all these years. He is one of the mainstays of the church in the most hearty support in every way, regular in attendance, devout in spirit, and liberal with his money.
Our brother, together with William Walter and Peter Bohl, have been for forty-three years out of the sixty years of the history of this church, the most devoted supporters of the church, and all three constantly remind the younger men of the church, not only what the church can be to them, but what they can be to it.
William Walter was born November 3, 1819, near Frankfort on the Rhine, Germany. He came with his father and brothers to America in 1838, to Baltimore, Maryland. He came to California in 1855, and located in Sacramento, where he has resided ever since.
He was born of good, sturdy, pious parents, who belonged to the German Reform Church in his native land. When his father came to this country he deposited their letters with the same church, but it was all form with William. He entered into a conscious religious experience under the ministry of Rev. Deal, pastor of the H Street Church, this city, and united with the same by probation during his pastorate:
Bro. Walter has never been a mere camp-follower in the church. He has always paid and worked his own way. He seemed particularly adapted to class leading and did that work in the H Street Church, for more than forty years in the First Church, with which he has been connected since Rev. J. W. Ross’ second pastorate, when H Street or Kingsley Chapel, now the Central Church, was made a part of the First Church. Bro. Walter always took great interest in his work as class leader and was diligent and earnest in his care for the members.
Though our brother has reached his ninetieth mile-stone, yet no one has been more regular in attendance upon the prayer meetings, the Sunday services and the Official Board meetings. He is an example of Christian manhood, of church devotion, and of a wise workman of his Master. A potter by trade, he is as clay in the hands of the Great Potter, and rejoices to be known as a Christian and a Methodist.
Next to the triumvirate of Bohl, Huntoon and Walters, the inseparable three who have prayed, thought, worked and given together for the last forty-three years in this church, stands the name of Chauncey H. Dunn, who for the last twenty-seven years has been one of the mainstays of this great church. This history would not be complete without special mention of a man who stands in the fore rank of the legal profession of this city, with a character above reproach, and ability of the highest, among the best representatives of the Sacramento bar. Born in Laurel, Ohio, September 2, 1856, he is the honored son of the lamented, eloquent Rev. Thomas S. Dunn, a former pastor of this Church, and Mrs. F. M. Dunn, still living. Bro. Dunn came with his parents to California, via Panama, in 1860. He is a graduate of the University of the Pacific and finished a course in the Hastings Law School. He came to Sacramento in 1882, was soon admitted to the bar, and has practiced law here with an unimpeachable record ever since.
His membership in this church dates from 1882, and what he has been and still is to First Church, is hard to figure. Always an ardent temperance advocate and loyal citizen, he has stood as an exponent of clean and progressive government and civic improvement. He was too straight a man ever to be elected to any political office, the push and saloon element fearing such a fearless citizen. During his twenty-seven years’ connection with this church, he has served in every official capacity with the greatest efficiency, and with the increase of his prosperity has come more liberal support of his church, and the cause of righteousness. He has served as Superintendent of the Sunday School for nearly twenty years, with some intermission. He has been a Director of Y. M. C. A. during all these years, and for a long time the honored President of that institution, and one of its most liberal supporters.
Sunday School, 9:45 A. M.
Morning Preaching Service, 11:00 A. M.
Class Meeting in Lecture Room, 12:15 P. M.
Epworth League, 6:15 P. M.
Evening Service, 7:30 P. M.
Sunday School Teachers’ Meeting and Normal Class, 7:30 P. M.
Official Board, first Tuesday following last Sunday of month, 7:45 P. M.
Epworth League Business Meeting, 2nd Tuesday each month, 7:45 P. M.
Mid-Weed Service, 7:45 P. M.
Ladies’ Aid Society, second Thursday each month, 2:30 P. M.
Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society, third Thursday, 2:30 P. M.
Woman’s Home Missionary Society, fourth Thursday, 2: 30 P. M.
Junior League, each Friday, 3:30 P. M.
Choir Rehearsal, 7:45 P. M.
Sewing School, 2:30 P. M.
The Methodist Brotherhood meets at call of President.
T. E. CLARK, Member of Official Board.
Rev. I. B. BRISTOL, Superintendent Anti-Saloon League
Mrs. ABBIE HORNE, Member of Church Twenty-five Years.
The Sunday School was organized March 29, 1850. The records back of 1870 do not seem to have been kept, or else have been lost. We find the Infant Class of 1869 to consist of the following names: Ellen Grimes, Fanny Luce, Hood Flint, H. Johnson, F. Lower, Eddie Taylor, W. Morris, Jennie Wise, Eddie Sims, Charles Ekridge, Willie Yoler, Mary Kiefer, Mercy Flint, Robert Platt, William Platt, Elisha Platt, F. Van Heusen, Lizzie Petrie, Katie Petrie, Carrie Dray, Alfred Cleeler, Martha Platt, Louise Nelson, Lincoln Boyd, Mary J. Ellis, Geo. E. McClure, Lizzie Todd, C. C. Hall, Lavina Hinman, Walt Magraw, Fannie Kirk, Daniel Cowstork, Wm. R. Ellis, Sarah J. Ellis, Harry Smith, Bennett Lawson, Jessie Rogers, Mary Stocklaw, F. Flint, Frank Gray. Added names in 1870: Wm. Henley, John Luce, Willie Huntoon, Wm. Griffin, Chas. Haswell, Frank Lenoir, Wm. Luce, Wm. Wood, Eddie Van Heusen, Frank Taylor, Frank Kiefer, Frank Willy.
Some idea as to the attendance of the school: March 5, 1870, attendance 139; August 28, 1870, attendance 70; January, 1872, attendance 217; April 28, 1872, total on roll 293, attendance 151; September 8, 1872, total on roll 296, attendance 181; attendance on February 16, 1872, was 238; February 8, 1874, attendance was 256; February 12, 1876, attendance 232, and on April 25, 1880, it was 187.
Some glances at the minutes: September 5, 1872, the Sunday School Missionary Society met after prayer meeting, President O. H. Wing in the chair. Officers were elected for the coming year. Upon second ballot, Dr. C. S. Haswell was elected President for one year; L. S. Taylor was elected Vice-President, and O. H. Wing, Secretary. January 21, 1872, the roll of officers were as follows: Dr. Heacock, Pastor; C. S. Haswell, Superintendent; J. H. Skelton, Treasurer; H. P. Cottingham, Secretary; Geo. W. Marsh, Librarian; Israel Luce, Musical Director; J. C. Stubbs, Organist; L. S. Taylor, Assistant Secretary. The teachers were: A. Henley, O. H. Wing, F. T. Phillips, J. L. Messersmith, A. H. Cummings, Mrs. S. E. Clayton, Mrs. S. A. Wassal, Mrs. S. McVicker, Mrs. D. M. Thorp, Mrs. Isaac Hall, Frank B. Anderson, Miss Ella Haskell, John C. Stubbs, J. H. Freeland, J. P. Thompson, Mrs. C. P. Huntoon, Emma Rice.
In 1872, Miss Amelia Bohl was made organist, and Dr. M. F. Clayton, J. L. Huntoon and Mrs. A. C. Curtis were made teachers. In April, 1872, the Band of Hope was announced to meet after Sunday School at Odd Fellows’ Temple. May 19, 1872, the Secretary, J. N. Young, writes: “You will observe the attendance is less since the picnic. Question: Was the attendance full in anticipation of the picnic, or has the picnic had a depressing effect?
Annual meeting, March 30, 1873, Dr. C. S. Haswell and J. C. Stubbs nominated for Superintendent. Stubbs said for various reasons he could not accept. Haswell was unanimously elected. Assistant Superintendent, D. W. Welty; Secretary, J. N. Young; Treasurer, J. L. Huntoon; Musical Director, Israel Luce; Organist, Miss A. Bohl; Librarian, O. H. Wing; Assistant Librarian, Geo. W. Marsh. A Normal Class was organized.
April 17, 1873, the Committee on May Day picnic reported excursion by steamer is impossible. Why? Flat cars to Leet’s Grove would cost $30 each, baggage $25, and $40 for the engine. To Folsom, cars would cost $25 each, baggage and engine free. Motion that we celebrate at Folsom or vicinity. Picnic to be on 29th or 30th of April, if grounds could be gotten. Dr. Clayton said grounds at Folsom would cost $10. Kingsley Chapel School invited to join in picnic.
May 13, 1874, the school to meet June 21, 1874, at 12:15 o’clock. January 14th, Sister Van Cott held Children’s Meeting. July 26th, 1874, L. S. Taylor, T. P. Taylor and J. L. Huntoon appointed a committee to secure library. April 11, 1875, ordered that each teacher have a small bag for singing books of her class, and she shall be responsible for the books of her class. May 4, 1875, Bro. Gallatin as Superintendent, offered prizes at end of school year for class showing best attendance, proficiency, deportment, as per class book. First, $10; second $5. To the scholar who brings in most new scholars, $6; second $4. The Secretary to keep account and report at close of each month. A committee of Missionary teachers was appointed. The following were appointed delegates to State Sunday School Convention: Mrs. Clayton, Mrs. Gallatin, Mrs. Luce, Mrs. Curtis, Mrs. Jordan.
August 24, 1875, Bro. Gallatin tendered his resignation, owing to business engagements preventing him from doing his duty to the school. He presented the school with check for $100 to pay prizes offered the school.
March 26, 1876, Bro. L. B. Hinman was Superintendent. March 28, 1878, C. A. Maydwell was Superintendent. Bro. Lenoir was Chorister. On motion of Bro. Burlingame, a new system of collections will be inaugurated, namely, a box with compartments numbered for each class, and the box will be passed around each Sabbath for the collections. April 14, 1878, Israel Luce thanked for faithful service in song, as he would be absent from the city for some time. High appreciation for his faithful service in leading in song expressed. Burlingame thanked for the ingenius (sic) box prepared by him for the use of the Sunday School collections. April 15, 1880, Lengthy discussion of the best way to take the collection. No final conclusion. Matter laid over till next meeting. Irwin Bentley made Assistant Librarian. July 21, 1880, Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Bentley, Bro. Jordan and Bro. Marsh a committee to select library books. March 29, 1882, Pianist, Mamie Barrett. Offer of John Wannamaker donating 100 packages of flower seeds accepted and ordered.
October 17, 1884, Dr. Dille in the chair. Mr. Lenoir, Superintendent, said the school was smaller than he had ever known it since 1850, and that he believed it was due in a great extent to unfaithfulness on the part of the teachers, who invariably do not take the interest they should. Board decided that Article S of the Constitution be amended that absence of a teacher three consecutive Sundays without satisfactory excuse, constituted a severance of the connection with the school. June 25, 1897, the pastor suggested a Home Department in the Sunday School. Miss Healy was appointed Superintendent. August 29, 1897, the Librarian having gone to the Klondike, J. O. Prewett was elected. A birthday box was ordered for Missions. Report of Committee on Fiftieth Anniversary received and adopted, and committee continued to carry out plans.
The following persons have served as Superintendents of the School: 1850-55, E. B. Barber; 1856, H. C. Rudolph; 1856-57, G. H. Bell; 1857-63, Jacob Welty; 1864, Charles Lenoir; 1865, B. F. Pike; 1866-70, Dr. C. S. Haswell; 1870, F. T. Phillips and J. Freeland; 1872, Dr. C. S. Haswell and D. W. Welty; 1874, L. S. Taylor; 1875, A. Gallatin and J. N. Young; 1876, L. B. Hinman; 1878, C. A. Maydwell; 1884, Charles Lenoir; 1885, C. H. Dunn; W. W. Lewis was Superintendent for a while; 1896, G. S. Speer; 1897, B. H. Marsh; 1898, C. H. Dunn; 1908 U. L. Dike.
During the present superintendence, the school has been reorganized under a new constitution, and more modern methods are being worked to increase both interest and efficiency of the school, which is prosperous. Being a downtown church and continually becoming more such, the Sunday School question becomes a more serious one, but, with willing and wise and consecrated workers, great possibilities, are before us.
Since the coming of the deaconess, a large Home Department reaching about 150 members, and a Cradle Roll of 35 members, have been organized, and are well worked. We have also a splendid Sewing School, which promises well as an adjunct to the school. We have also a large Normal Class for growing teachers.
Superintendent, U. L. Dike
Assistant Superintendent, B. H. Marsh
Secretary, Mrs. W. H. Scoble
Treasurer and Librarian, W. H. Scoble
Auditor and Enrolling Secretary, J. C. Carpenter
Superintendent Primary Department, Mrs. J. F. Reisner
Superintendent Home Department, Mrs. J. W. Johnson
Superintendent Cradle Roll, Miss Alma Johnson
Historian, Miss Mary Kiefer
Pianist, Miss Muriel Uren
Chorister, J. F. Reisner
In all probability the first attempt at a young people’s movement was in 1869, when there was formed what was termed “The Social.” We find records to this effect: “May 17, 1869, the Social of the Sixth M. E. Church met at the residence of Mr. Luce, at the very fashionable hour of 8¾ p.m. After some discussion, Dr. Haswell was elected President, Mrs. J. L. Huntoon, Vice-President; Mrs. I. Luce, Second Vice-President; Ella F. Combs, Secretary; Mrs. A. Gallatin, Treasurer. The following resolution was offered and adopted, viz: Each gentleman member shall pay 25 cents semi-annually. Ladies free. The following became members: Mr. A. Gallatin, 50c; Mr. Freeland, 50c; Dr. Haswell, 50c; Mr. Huntoon, 50c; Mr. Luce, 50c; Mr. Clark, 50c; Mr. Reirdon, 50c; Mr. Grinwold, 50c; Mr. Kirk, 50c; Mr. Doo, 50c; L. S. Taylor, $1.00; Mr. Forshel, 50c; Mr. Reed, 50c; Mr. Smith, 50c; Mr. Jones, 50c.
Total amount collected, $7.50. After spending the evening very pleasantly, the meeting adjourned at a little past 10, to meet May 31st, at J. H. Huntoon’s.”
The above is a specimen of the minutes of “The Social.” A feast of reason and a flow of soul, enlivened by an occasional resort to the divine art of music,” the Secretary writes, made their evenings to pass agreeably. “Singing and social conversation” seems to have been the chief attractions then. These socials were held at Mr. J. L. Huntoon’s, Mr. J. F. Clark’s, Mr. A. Gallatin’s, Mr. R. K. Wick’s, Mr. B. H. Sweetland’s, Dr. Clayton’s, Mr. Wilcox’s, Mr. Littleton’s and Mr. Luce’s, and also at the church basement.
Other members were added from time to time: S. Tryon, Mr. Denslow, Mr. Stevens, Dr. Clayton, Mr. Wilson, Mr. Danner, Dr. Wythe, Mr. Porter, Mr. Vance, Mr. Clark, Mr. Wilcox and others.
Some of the performers of that day were Mrs. Buckminster, who wrote and read an essay; Miss Rudolph, who rendered a solo, “What Shall Be My Angel Name?; Mrs. J. H. Freeland, “Paddle Your Own Canoe”; Miss Littleton and her brother rendered both instrumental and vocal music; Mrs. Rudolph rendered, “Then You’ll Remember Me”; Miss Gibbs gave a pretty ballad; Miss L. A. Littleton read an essay on “Beauty,” which was well rendered. Among the list of refreshments at their social functions, we find mentioned “mush and milk.”
The next attempt at young people’s organization we find was “The Young People’s Union,” under Dr. E. R. Dille. This was for the most part for social purposes and it met monthly, but it was a very live organization.
The movement then formed into a “Christian Endeavor,” and finally into our present Epworth League.
The charter of the Epworth League, Number 1150, dates April 4, 1893, though the Epworth League existed prior to that date. The earliest minutes of the League are dated September 23, 1891, and read as follows:
“The regular monthly business meeting of the Epworth League of the Sixth Street M. E. Church, met Wednesday, September 23, 1891, C. H. Dunn, President. Meeting opened by song and prayer, after which Mr. Avery read a very interesting report of the devotional work for the past year. The report of Christian work was made by Miss Minnie Kiefer. P. S. Driver, the Treasurer, reported the finances. It was decided that seven should constitute a quorum; also that a distinction be made between active and associate members, the former signing the pledge. The following officers were elected:
President, A. K. Ransom; First Vice-President, Miss Anna Wood; Second Vice-President, Miss Minnie Kiefer; Third Vice-President, Mr. J. E. Walker; Fourth Vice-President, Miss Anna Fountain; Secretary, Miss Belle Church; Treasurer, Miss Mary Kiefer.
The committees appointed: Christian Work - Mr. Brookman, Miss Elsie Kiefer, Mr. Whitehorn, Mr. Dunn, Miss Billings; Mercy and Help - Geo. Marsh, Mrs. Condo, Mrs. Dunn, Mrs. Gardiner, Miss Lizzie Klotz, Miss Alsbach; Literary Work - Miss Clara Root, Miss Mollie Titherington, Rev. T. C. George, Mr. Slater, Mr. Avery, G. S. Driver; Entertainment - J. M. Uren, Ed Willie, Mr. Heitman, Mr. P. Driver, Miss Maude Hodson, Miss Jennie Elworthy, Miss Lulu McCormick; Correspondence - Miss Grace Danforth, Miss Myrtle Hodson; Finance - Miss Carrie George, Howard Marsh. Belle Church, Secretary.
E. E. Avery, Wm. Angus, Hattie Billings, Alice E. Bailey, Mr. Bishop, Elizabeth Blasdel, C. H. Brookman, Howard Carey, Belle Church, Mr. Cox, E. E. Condo, Mrs. E. E. Condo, Frank Croasman, Grace Danforth, Bertha Dawley, C. H. Dunn, Mrs. C. H. Dunn, P. S. Driver, Mrs. P. S. Driver, Grant Driver, Jennie Elworthy, Lizzie Fountain, Abbie Fountain, Rev. T. C. George, Mrs. T. C. George, Carrie George, Flora Greenlaw, Edna Greenlaw, Orrin Hand, Frances Healy, Lulu Henwood, Myrtle Hodson, Maude Hodson, John Hoskings, Ida Hugo, Lillie Huebner, Al. Hutchinson, Willie James, Clemenca Kerr, Albert Keene, Minnie Kiefer, Mary Kiefer, Elsie Kiefer, George Kiefer, A. Kloppenburg, Lizzie Klotz, A. K. Lawson, W. W. Lewis, Wm. Lawrence, Walter Leitch, Mrs. Lyons, Howard Marsh, Russell Mill, T. P. Mitchell, Chas. McConnell, G. A. Miller, Philip O’Reilly, Ethel Page, J. O. Prewett, Jane Ranns, George Shepstone, Frank Scott, Geo. H. Smith, Albert Tower, J. M. Uren, Mrs. J. M. Uren, Mrs. Van Huesen, B. Van Lewven, J. E. Walker, E. T. Waterbury, John Webb, Mr. Whalen, Mrs. Whalen, J. S. Withorn, Ed. Willie, Mary Willie, Oscar Willie.
May 23, 1892, W. W. Lewis was elected President, as A. K. Ransom was leaving city. November 11, 1892, total enrollment 64, average attendance 58. B. H. Marsh said his committee decided to collect 10 cents per month.
The question was up several times of joining the Christian Endeavor Union of the city, under “Epworth League of Christian Endeavor,” but it was finally lost. Debates were also had as to adopting Christian Endeavor pledge, but decided to accept the Epworth League pledge.
The League assisted the Y. M. C. A. in social entertainment, held street meetings before League meetings, conducted a revival meeting in the church.
December 21, 1894 - Decided that a Training Class be organized, and a committee consisting of Miss E. Blasdell, Mrs. Buck and Mr. Avery appointed to decide time and place.
October 8, 1895 - Mr. Spear, President. Decided all members absent four successive business meetings, and failing to pay dues, be dropped. December 13, 1895 - Bertha Dawley put in charge of a Circulating Library.
February 14, 1896 - Mr. Avery reported charter framed at cost of $6.50. Members elected: Kate Griffin, Mabelle Cook, Sam. Lewis, Dr. Cartwright, Mrs. Dunster, H. Burrell, Geo. Shepstone, John James. March 12, 1896 - An Epworth League paper launched, with A. E. Keene business manager. June 11th, the paper turned over to the Official Board of the Church. July 11th - decided to send committees to visit other societies to get their ideas of work. November, 1896 - Mr. Keene, President.
November 9, 1897 - The Constitution amended that members be constituted by election of chapter on motion of President, after approval by cabinet or pastor.
October 11, 1898 - B. H. Marsh, President. November 8, 1898 - League decided to support a native missionary in India at $60 per year.
January 10, 1899 - Mercy and Help Committee reported holding meetings at County Hospital every other Sunday. March 14, 1899 - An initiatory ceremony in receiving new members adopted. October 10, 1899 - Dr. Simmons elected President.
May 15, 1900 - Sixty dollars to be raised for support of missionary in India, by each member raising one dollar and then telling how it was raised.
March 10, 1901 - By-Laws amended to read: Article 6 - The annual meeting for the election of officers shall be held on second Tuesday evening of month of July. July 9, 1901 - J. D. Crummey, President. A committee was appointed to draft a constitution and by-laws and report at next meeting.
March 17, 1903 - On motion of Mr. Carey, Article VII of the Constitution was unanimously suspended, considering the following amendment to Constitution; Article I - The regular election of officers shall be held at the regular business meeting in April and installed on Anniversary Day. Amendment was adopted. April 12, 1903 - Mrs. Biegle, President.
President, J. C. Carpenter
First Vice-President, Mrs. Mattie Howard
Second Vice-President, O. E. Bremner
Third Vice-President, Mrs. Helen R. Peck
Fourth Vice-President, Miss Bessie May Baker
Secretary, Miss Clara Powell
Treasurer, Eugene W. Sawtelle
Pianist, Miss May Carpenter
The Charter dates from November 10, 1894, and numbers 3110.
October 5, 1894 – The meeting opened with song, pledge read, prayer by Miss Dawley. December 15, 1894 - Ralph Langner read the lesson. December,1894 - Mamie Langner read the lesson. Election of officers: First Vice-President, Laura Lewis; Second Vice-President, Ola Elwood; Third Vice-President, Bertha Tebow; Social Work, Donna Hunt; Treasurer, Roger Scott; Secretary, Winnie Langner.
December 19, 1895 - Roger Scott, President; Ratie Elliot, First Vice-President; Grace Tower, Second Vice-President; Agnes McDonald, Third Vice-President; Clara Carpenter, Fourth Vice-President; Ethel Luce, Secretary; Marian Green, Treasurer; Mrs. Mary Marsh, Chorister; Miss Stella Danforth, Organist; Frank Rideout, Librarian; Myrtle Luce, Assistant Librarian.
Among the members were: Roger Scott, Ratie Eliot, Grace Tower, Agnes McDonald, Clara Carpenter, Ethel Luce, Marian Green, Frank Rideout, Myrtle Luce, Donna Biegle, Ella McDonald, Katie Hannah, Ethel Criss, Dempsey Elwood, Walter Campbell, Annie Martin, Lorena Buck, Joseph Carpenter, Hazel Luce, Grace Covell, Alex. Green, Melissa Shoop, Gabriel Clements, Carrie Doscher, Irene Lesser, Lilly Owens, Adna Ferriter, Edna Elworthy, Emma McGee, Osborn Elliot, Edna McGinnis, Irma Phleger, Oretta Elliot, Mary A. Clark, Edw. Schmidt*, Pearl McAllister, Robert Straiter, George King, Otta Cole, Tommy King, Bertie Hildebrand, Alma Johnson, Ralph Langner, Irving Scott, Willie Rule, Grace Tokeyama, Ruby McAllister, Lillie Bangher.
June 26, 1896, there were 64 members present. Graduating exercises took place October, 1896. The year’s report showed much good done. The Juniors thanked the Senior League for recreation provided out of school hours, for banquet at annual election, for grand picnic at Oak Park, where they had their picture taken, and for a Valentine social and also a birthday party.
Financially, the Junior League bought 50 J. L. Hymnals, bought cards for flowers sent to sick, helped support the deaconess. Though many members were lost by graduation, they still numbered 120 members, with a good average attendance each afternoon.
May 8, 1896 - Officers: President, R. Langner; First Vice-President, J. Carpenter; Second Vice-President, Annie Martin; Third Vice-President, Ella McDonald; Fourth Vice-President, Pearl McAllister; Secretary, Albert Hastings; Treasurer, Grant Covell; Librarian, Lester Moody; Assistant, Alex. Green.
At present the Junior League is in process of reorganization for larger and more efficient work.
Ladies’ Aid Society
This organization went at first under the name of “Ladies and Pastor’s Union” of the Sixth Street M. E. Church. Its object was to visit families in one’s neighborhood, invite strangers, and gather children into the Sunday School, to visit the poor and sick of the congregation and extend aid as far as possible.
The officers are: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer; these constitute the Executive Committee. The meetings were held semi-monthly, on Wednesdays. The officers were: President, Rev. R. Bentley; Vice-President, Mrs. J. L. Huntoon; Second Vice-President, Mrs. J. Thomas; Secretary, Mrs. Julia A. Barrett; Treasurer, Mrs. Bowstead.
The Charter Members were: Rev. R. Bentley, Mattie Thomas, Julia A. Barrett, Jane Griffin, Reny Cowles, D. Breckenfeld, E. Bowstead, Mrs. C. P. Huntoon, E. Baldwin, Mrs. C. C. Gerlie, Mrs. S. E. Bentley, Mrs. A. C. Curtis, Mrs. Richardson, Mrs. Dodsworth, Mrs. Vaughn, Mrs. Figg.
Wayside hints: January 15, 1881 - Decided to add “Sewing Society,” to meet every Saturday for the purpose of making clothing for the poor, and teaching children to sew. Board of Managers: Mrs. Wassol (chairman), Mrs. Bentley, Mrs. Curtis, Mrs. Dillman, Mrs. Baker. New members added to society: Mrs. Maydwell, Mrs. Frank Bell, Mrs. McMullen, Mrs. Mumford.
April 9, 1882 - Mrs. Brewer, Secretary. Mrs. Drew added to Board of Managers. Business Department added to Union, and Mrs. Barrett was made manager. Change made in paying of dues, from 25 cents per quarter to 10 cents per month in advance.
April 3, 1894 - The name changed to “Ladies’ Social Union.” That change was evolution in the right direction, for the word “pastor” prefixed to the name of the society was a foolish superfluity. This meeting was held at residence of Mrs. Fountain, Fifteenth and P streets; Mrs. Scott, Vice-President presided. Many poor reported. Mrs. Clayton warned the society against allowing too many to settle down on the society. An “At Home” planned for Rev. C. V. Anthony and wife.
June 5, 1894 - Mrs. Clayton’s residence, 631 L street. Parsonage furniture moved to Mansion House. Mrs. Anthony elected President, Mrs. Condo, Secretary. Bro. Anthony made remarks recommending church socials properly conducted as a means of grace bringing old and young together.
November 6, 1894 - Ladies’ Aid plans a Golden Wedding Anniversary, with a gift of $100 in gold for Mr. and Mrs. Carley. April 2, 1895 - Assisted in furnishing the Y. M. C. A. June, 1895 - The parsonage enterprise brought forward. A committee appointed to look for lot to purchase, the building to be built on the installment plan. The lot and parsonage to be owned by Ladies’ Aid Society, and rented to pastor. The committee were: Miss H. M. Richard (chairman), Mrs. S. Root and Mrs. Crowley.
July 2, 1895 - Decided to allow Miss Brooks and Miss Dawley to give social to the Junior League, the ladies assisting. The parsonage enterprise committee reported several lots and as many prices. September 5, 1895 - Mrs. Bell nominated President. Membership at close of year 1894-95, 58. October 1, 1895 - Mrs. Scott, President.
February 4, 1896 - Mrs. Crowley reported nothing doing on parsonage matter, considered matter dropped. Subscription discontinued. Committee continued, Mrs. Ough added. They will report on property mentioned in next meeting. March 3, 1896 - Committee on parsonage well preserved, both as to arrangement of rooms and location. It was the sense of the committee a desirable purchasing, if it could be brought about. Matter carried over for a month. April 7, 1896 - Ladies assume $100 of church debt. October 6, 1896 - Bible readings to open the exercises. Mrs. Scott elected President. November, 1896 - Ladies’ Aid asked to help support deaconess.
February 2, 1897 - Mrs. Covell said name of society was sometimes misunderstood and led some to think we meet only socially. After discussion she moved the name be changed to Ladies’ Aid Society. The motion passed unanimously. May 2, 1897 - Mrs. Davis elected President. September 7, 1897 - Special parsonage committee appointed to act with regular parsonage committee having charge of parsonage. October 5, 1897 - Mrs. S. Root, President.
April 5, 1898 - Sunday School Board decided to put tables and chairs in Sunday School room and asked the Ladies’ Aid Society to put down carpet. After discussion, decided to put in new carpet. May 3, 1898 - Mrs. Dunn, Mrs. Carroll, Mrs. Osborn, Mrs. Green, Mrs. Lyons, a committee to buy carpet. June 7, 1898 - New carpet cost $383.44. September 5, 1899 - Mrs. Carroll, President.
October 2, 1900 - Time of meeting changed from first Tuesday to first Thursday in month.
June 6, 1901 - Decided to change day of meeting from first Thursday to second Thursday to oblige Mrs. Clayton. The annual election changed from first Tuesday in October to first meeting in July, in order that new officers can be put in Year Book. July 11, 1901 - Several amendments to Constitution suggested, these to take place at next meeting. Section 1, of Article 2, to read: The regular meetings of the Society will be held on the second Thursday of each month, at the church or the homes of its members, instead of the first Tuesday of each month. A quorum changed from 9 to 5. Officers elected; President, Mrs. S. A. Root.
July 10, 1902 - President, Mrs. Job Wood; Vice-President, Mrs. J. A. McKee. October, 1902 - Mrs. Dunn moved a committee be appointed to confer with the Official Board in reference to repairing and cleaning the church. November, 1902 - Mrs. McMullen, chairman of committee, reported that the Official Board needed $2,000. Ladies’ Aid Society asked for $500. Decided so.
July, 1903 - Election of officers; President, Mrs. Kate Covell.
June, 1904 - Report of Mrs. Dunn for carpet committee. Weinstock’s bid of $624 was accepted. December, 1904 - Mrs. Barrett brought up subject of communion cups. It was discussed and laid over.
Mrs. Ludwig Anderson, the present wise and energetic President, was first elected, 1907. She has proved a leader and worker of rare worth, and has led the good women in many useful undertakings.
About the greatest enterprise this noble band of women has undertaken is the splendid parsonage now occupied by the pastor’s family. These good women, in March of 1908, encouraged and backed by Bro. Peter Bohl, bought the beautiful home on 1011 P street, for $6,500. C. C. Schaeffle started the enterprise by giving $5. This record follows: April 9, 1908 - President Mrs. Anderson paid $100 on our new parsonage. We were all pleased to hear of our new modern home for our pastor and his family. Mrs. Anderson was to thank Bro. Bohl and Mr. Trueblood for their kindness in assisting the ladies in buying the parsonage.
Vice-President, Mrs. N. D. Hulse
President, Mrs. Ludwig Anderson
Treasurer, Mrs. W. H. Dunster
Secretary, Mrs. Florence Putnam
Among others, not already mentioned, who have formerly been connected with this society, who have either died or moved away, are the following names: Mrs. Mitchell, Miss Walker, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Waterhouse, Mrs. Camp, Mrs. Bohl, Mrs. S. Wing, Mrs. H. Ough, Mrs. Osburn, Mrs. Clough, Mrs. Luce, Mrs. Lenoir, Mrs. O’Neal, Mrs. Coats, Mrs. Ross.
Foreign Missionary Society
Mrs. H. A. Watts, President
Mrs. M. V. Dunn, Vice-President
Mrs. W. G. Dyas, Secretary
Mrs. M. E. Dickinson, Treasurer
Mrs. F. P. Dunstan, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. W. G. Dyas, Mite-Box Secretary
Miss May Carpenter, Supt. Standard Bearers
Mrs. D. B. Clark, Past Corresponding Secretary
Home Missionary Society
Mrs. Charles F. Green, President
Mrs. N. D. Hulse, Vice-President
Mrs. S. A. Root, Secretary
Mrs. Augusta Carpenter, Treasurer
Mrs. Peter Bohl, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. F. K. Baker, Mite-Box Secretary
These societies have been organized for many years and have rendered excellent and faithful service in their respective fields.
W. D. Eastman, President
C. H. Dunn, Vice-President
W. E. Bristol, Secretary
C. C. Schaeffle, Treasurer
The Church Choir
First Church has a choir that ranks among the best. Mrs. J. W. James is the organist and director. She is very capable in both capacities and takes much interest in the choir. She is strongly supported by two of the most capable singers in the city. Mrs. T. Frankland, soprano, and Mrs. Charles Mering, contralto. Besides these there are about twenty others who give their time and talent to the great mission of leading in song. The members of the Choir are as follows:
Sopranos: Mrs. T. Frankland, Miss Lillian M. Nelson, Miss May Carpenter, Mrs. F. P. Dunstan, Miss Clara Powell, Miss Bernice Henley, Miss Margaret Becker, Miss Hazel Ferguson, Mrs. Geo. Wilson, Miss Alma Johnson, Miss Mae Brome, Miss Louise Haas; Altos: Mrs. Charles Mering, Miss Bess Sackett, Miss Hedwig Anderson, Miss Etta Walker; Tenors: Mr. Charles A. McConnell, Mr. W. H. Dunster, Mr. F. P. Dunstan, Mr. W. E. Bristol, Mr. Harry Murphy, Dr. J. W. James; Bassos: Mr. J. C. Carpenter, Mr. Geo. L. Sackett, Mr. David Hulse, Mr. Charles Essell, Mr. P. A. Poissant. Mrs. J. W. James, organist and director.
Allen, John, Pleasant Grove
Allen, Mrs. John, Pleasant Grove
Belden, Mrs. Blanche, Address wanted
Betz, Mary E., Spokane, Wash.
Berry, Mrs. Catherine, Address wanted
Callow, Wm., Butte, Montana
Davidson, Mrs. Mary, Canada
De Jersey, Miriam, Los Angeles
Elwood, Ola B., Gault, Mo.
Erickson, Mrs. Sabina, Oakland, Cal.
Gilmore, Mrs. A. A., Medford, Oregon
Harris, Mrs. Electa B., Address wanted
Harris, Mrs. J. W., Denver, Col.
Hastenplug, Mrs. Susana, San Francisco, Cal.
Hastenplug, Bertha, San Francisco, Cal.
Hastenplug, Albert, San Francisco, Cal.
Hugo, Mrs. Elizabeth, Stockton
Joslyn, H. S., Live Oak, Cal.
Joslyn, Mrs. H. S., Live Oak, Cal.
Keene, Albert E., Marysville, Cal.
Meade, Mrs. L. H., San Francisco, Cal.
Mispley, Fred, Blue Canyon
Nobel, Mrs. Marian, Roseville
Orim, Mamie, (Wanted)
Osborn, Mrs. Mary E., San Francisco
Osborn, Miss Beatrice, San Francisco
Pritchard, Mrs. Lena, Wanted
Ramsey, Mrs. Edith M., Wanted
Robertson, Frank, Address wanted
Robertson, Mrs. Frank, Address wanted
Ryan, William, Crescent
Smith, Frank, Seattle, Wash.
Scott, Irving, Oakland, Cal.
Shepstone, Mrs., Vallejo, Cal.
Stephenson, Stephen, Address wanted
Talbot, Mrs. E. G., Oakland
Tuttle, Leon A., Stanford
Uren, Philip, Pacific Grove
Uren, Mrs., Pacific Grove
Welsh, Mrs. Laura, Address wanted
Wills, Obadiah, Butte, Montana
Wood, Percy A., San Francisco
Bosshardt, E. P., Now East
Bosshardt, Mrs. E. P., Now East
Briggs, Asa, 512 N Street
Caldwell, Charles, 1024 4th Street
Chamberlain, Clifford, 2326 N Street
Cross, Clinton, 2411 O Street
Catlett, Wm. H., 617 16th Street
Catlett, Mrs. W. H., 617 16th Street
Dodge, Alice, 2318 5th Street
Dodge, Phoebe, 2318 5th Street
Duffy, F. W., 2808 G Street
Dunn, Homer, 2219 M Street
Dunstan, Clarence, 1330 K Street
Dunster, Frederick, 1908 M Street
Dukeshire, Frederika, 621 L Street
Gabby, D. P., Address wanted
Gabby, Mrs. D. P., Address wanted
Garvey, Essie, Yolo
Gaunt, Geo. Edward, Golden West Hotel
Gosling, Edw. M., Gen. Delivery
Harris, Arthur, 1417 S Street
Harris, Caroline, 1417 S Street
Huston, Arloa, 718 23rd Street
Johnson, Gerald, 816 Q Street
Jurgenson, Walter, 716 12th Street
Mayhew, A. B., 614 22nd Street
McGee, Charlie, 1818 F Street
McPeak, Nina, Address wanted
Morris, Stanley, 1225 5th Street
Mering, Sumner, 1216 24t