GEORGE A. SARAU
Coming to California from the Badger state, George A.. (sic) Sarau has gained recognition as one of the foremost representatives of Riverside’s legal fraternity, and as a member of the California board of bar examiners he enjoys statewide prominence in his profession. He was born in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in 1879, a son of the Hon. Christian Sarau, who long figured prominently in public affairs as a member of both the upper and lower houses of that state. Moreover, he was numbered among its honored pioneers and prospered in all of his undertakings, amassing a fortune.
In his native city George A. Sarau acquired a high school education, and in preparation for a legal career enrolled as a student in the University of Wisconsin, from which he was graduated in 1900, when a young man of twenty-one, receiving his LL. B. degree at that time. He was admitted to the Wisconsin bar and in 1901 began practice at Princeton, that state, with Frank E. Clark, with whom he was associated until called home by the death of his father in 1903. For twelve years thereafter he remained in Oshkosh, demonstrating his ability to successfully cope with the intricacies of the law. In 1915 he removed to the Golden state and in April of that year became associated with the Hon. H. L. Carnahan, who afterwards became lieutenant governor of California. Some time before the latter’s appointment as the first corporation commissioner of the state Mr. Sarau formed a partnership with Hugh H. Craig and H. L. Thompson, who practiced under the style of Craig, Sarau & Thompson. This relationship was maintained until Mr. Craig’s appointment as judge of the superior court of Riverside county, when the present style of Sarau & Thompson was adopted. They have a large suite of offices on the fourth floor of the Citizens National Bank building of Riverside and the extent and importance of their clientele is indicative of their status as advocates and counselors.
At Princeton, Wisconsin, in 1905, Mr. Sarau was married to Miss Minchen H. Rimpler, and Christian A., their only child, who was graduated from Leland Stanford University, is worthily following in the professional footsteps of his father.
Well known in fraternal circles, George A. Sarau was exalted ruler of Riverside Lodge, B. P. O. E., in 1917-18 and district deputy grand exalted ruler of that order for the southern jurisdiction of California in 1923. His Masonic affiliations are with the consistory and the shrine and he is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. A prominent Rotarian, he served as president of the local club of the organization in 1925-26 and through his connection with the Victoria Country Club and Newport Yacht Club he largely finds his recreation. His civic spirit prompted his effective service on the board of directors of the Riverside Public Library from 1919 to 1927 inclusive and as a director of the Riverside Chamber of Commerce in 1923 and 1924. His name has appeared on the board of directors of the Riverside County Law Library for many years, and because of his legal erudition and high standards of professional service he has been retained on the state board of bar examiners since 1929. He is a member of the Riverside County Bar Association, the California State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Never an aspirant for public honors, Mr. Sarau was offered the superior court judgeship of Riverside county by Governor Stevens in 1921 and in 1925 was chosen by Governor Young for the same office, for which he was exceptionally well qualified, but declined both appointments. In 1930 Mr. Sarau was offered the appointment as member of the Appellate Court of the Fourth District of California, by Governor Young.
Transcribed by Marie Hassard 05 May 2012.
Source: California of the South Vol. II, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 371-373, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis. 1933.
© 2012 Marie Hassard.