HON. HOMER G. AMES
Appointed to the bench by Governor Richardson in 1926, Hon. Homer G. Ames has since made a splendid record as judge of the superior court of Orange County, now filling his second term of six years. Practically his entire life has been spent within the borders of Orange County, and it was in 1901 that he was admitted to the California bar. He was born in Madison County, Iowa, November 29, 1877, a son of Arthur W. and Sarah W. (Walker) Ames, who came to the Golden state in 1887. The father died in 1920, but the mother is still a resident of Santa Ana, California.
Homer G. Ames attended the public schools of Santa Ana and subsequently entered the University of Southern California, from which institution he was graduated in 1901 with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. The same year he was admitted to the bar of this state and began the general practice of law in Santa Ana, where he engaged in the work of his chosen profession until 1910. He then formed a partnership with Richard Melrose at Anaheim, California, where he continued in practice as a member of the firm of Melrose & Ames until the retirement of his associate in September, 1910, after which Mr. Ames practiced alone for a decade. On the expiration of that period, in 1920, he joined T. L. McFadden, well known attorney of Anaheim, becoming senior member of the firm of Ames & McFadden. In 1926, as stated above, Governor Richardson appointed him judge of the superior court of Orange County as the successor of Judge R. Y. Williams, Orange County pioneer, who had resigned his position on the bench. Judge Ames was chosen to the judgeship for the six-year term at the primary election in the same year and was re-elected for a second term of similar duration in 1932. Possessing in marked degree the judicial temperament, he has given entire satisfaction to the members of the bar and to the public at large. For a period of four years, beginning in 1903, he served as deputy district attorney of Orange County and later was city attorney of Anaheim, California, for eleven years, from 1911 until 1922.
In 1910 Judge Ames as united in marriage to Miss Harriet D. Wents and they make their home in Anaheim. The Judge has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite in Masonry, is a member of the Mystic Shrine and is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, being past exalted ruler of the lodges at Santa Ana and Anaheim. He is a man of quiet, genial and unassuming disposition, very popular in both social and professional circles of this part of the state.
Transcribed by V. Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: California of the South Vol. IV, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 273-274, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis. 1933.
© 2012 V. Gerald Iaquinta.