CHARLES WOODMANSEE, M. D.
For nearly forty years Dr. Woodmansee has engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery, and his marked skill and ability have gained him prestige in the ranks of his chosen profession. It is a calling in which success must depend upon individual merit, upon a comprehensive and accurate knowledge of the medical science, upon deep interest in the work and upon fidelity to the responsibilities that are imposed by the calling. When one has reached a position of distinctive preferment it is an indication that he merits the advancement accorded him, and this is certainly the case with Dr. Woodmansee.
Born in Clinton County, Ohio, on the 3rd of June, 1836, he is a son of James Woodmansee, who was a native of Pennsylvania. His paternal ancestors resided in New Jersey, and their advent upon American soil antedates the Revolutionary War, in which the family was worthily represented by many eminent heroes loyal to the cause of independence. The Doctor’s mother bore the maiden name of Joanna Cook, who was born in Virginia, being descended from one of the old and influential families of the south. In 1852 James Woodmansee removed with his wife and children from Ohio to Knox County, Illinois, where the Doctor acquired his education, including a course in Knox College, at Galesburg, that county. He was a student in that institution for one year, and was graduated in 1860. Subsequently he attended Abingdon College, in Abingdon, Illinois, where he pursued a three-year course and was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science. His excellent literary learning served as a foundation upon which to rear the superstructure of professional knowledge, and during the four years succeeding his graduation in Abingdon his entire attention was given to the study of medicine. In 1864 he won his medical diploma from the College of Physicians & Surgeons, in Keokuk, Iowa, and soon afterward he entered the army as a surgeon, being attached to the One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment of Illinois Volunteers. He was on detached duty as post surgeon at Fort Pickering, in Memphis, Tennessee, and continued at the front until 1865, rendering effective service to the ill and wounded.
When the war was over Dr. Woodmansee located in Aberdeen, Mississippi, where he continued in active practice for twenty-five years. In 1890 he located in Grass Valley, where he has since secured a large and lucrative practice. Although a general practitioner and well versed in every department of the medical science, he makes a specialty of office practice in the treatment of the eye, ear and throat diseases, in which he is very proficient. From the faithful performance of each day’s duty he gains inspiration and encouragement for the work of the next, and his labors have been followed by such excellent results that he is accorded a foremost place among the medical practitioners in northern California.
In 1866 the Doctor was united in marriage to Miss Sarah M. Harrington, a native of Mississippi, whose ancestors were among the old families of South Carolina. The Doctor is prominent in Grand Army circles, being a member of Chattanooga Post, No. 115, G. A. R., of Nevada City, and is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, of which he has taken the Royal Arch and Knight Templar degrees. He is a man of many excellences of character, of determined purpose, of strong mentality and of broad, human sympathy. These have not only gained him professional eminence but have won him the regard of his fellow men in the various communities where he has lived and wherever he is known.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.