RAY D. JOHNSON
An experienced, able attorney, Ray D. Johnson is closely connected with the courts of El Centro, and he is also an important factor in the city’s cultural life. Born in San Francisco on the 20th of September, 1892, he is a son of William R. and Lucy (De Zaldo) Johnson, the former a native of Oregon and the latter of California and a member of an old Santa Clara, Spanish family. The father prospered as an agriculturist and is now living retired in San Diego, California, but the mother passed away in San Francisco. They were the parents of four children, two of whom are living.
In the acquirement of an education Ray D. Johnson attended the grammar and high schools of San Francisco and Golden Gate College. He mastered the principles of jurisprudence and was admitted to the bar at San Francisco in 1921. He entered upon his legal career in his native city, where he followed his profession for five years, and in 1926 removed to El Centro. For a time he was associated with Ross T. Hickcox but is now practicing alone, with office at 795 Main Street. Well versed in statute and precedent, he readily applies his knowledge to the points in litigation and carefully safeguards the interests of his clients.
In 1914 Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Alice Chapman, of Nevada, and they have one child, Ray D., Jr., who was graduated from high school in 1933, and is now a student at Junior College in San Francisco. Mr. Johnson belongs to the Oasis Lodge of Masons in El Centro and to the Kiwanis Club. His professional connections are with the Imperial County Bar Association, the California State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Thoroughly trained in vocal music as well as in the law, he is the possessor of a fine baritone voice and does much choir work.
Transcribed by V. Gerald Iaquinta.
Source: California of the South Vol. V, by John Steven McGroarty, Pages 294-294, Clarke Publ., Chicago, Los Angeles, Indianapolis. 1933.
© 2012 V. Gerald Iaquinta.