El Dorado County
JOHN W. LANDIS
John W. Landis, one of the leading merchants and influential citizens of Diamond Springs, has for three decades owned the largest mercantile establishment in town and is regarded as one of its most prosperous men. A native of California, he was born at Weaverville, Trinity County, on the 22nd of October, 1877, and is a son of James S. and Bertha (Loveridge) Landis. His father crossed the plains to California in 1858 and located in Yuba County, where he engaged in mining. Later he mined at Rough and Ready, in Nevada County, and from there went to Trinity County. He is deceased and his widow is residing at Lincoln, Placer County.
John W. Landis attended the public schools of Butte County, after which he followed mining for a number of years. In 1898 he joined the rush to the gold fields of Alaska, where he remained for two years. He had previously been in El Dorado County and on his return from Alaska came to Diamond Spring and established his present general mercantile business. Beginning on a modest scale, by close attention and careful management he succeeded in building up an extensive and important business, enlarging his store from time to time until his building occupied a block of space on the main highway. In April, 1930, the entire building, with its contents, was destroyed by fire, its destruction occurring on the thirtieth anniversary of the founding of the business. Mr. Landis is now rebuilding on a larger and more substantial scale than before. He has always carried a thoroughly modern stock of goods, catering carefully to the demands and tastes of the local trade, and by his uniform courtesy and accommodation winning the good will of all who patronize him.
Mr. Landis was united in marriage to Miss Hattie S. Neil of Arizona, and they are the parents of four children: Mrs. Edith Mitchell; Jack, who is associated with his father in business; Adele C., who is attending high school; and Janette. Politically Mr. Landis has always supported the Republican Party and has been actively interested in local public affairs. For a number of years he has been a member of the board of trustees of the grammar and high schools and has served as postmaster of Diamond Spring continuously since 1915. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is one of the leaders of his community in all matters affecting the public welfare and to a marked degree commands the confidence and respect of his fellowmen.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.