El Dorado County
EDWARD E. JOHNSON
Among the early settlers in the vicinity of Clarksville, El Dorado County, who are still living here and actively engaged in business, is numbered Edward E. Johnson, one of the successful cattle and sheep raisers in this section of the valley. He was born in El Dorado county, February 25, 1860, and is a son of William and Judith (Donahue) Johnson. The father came to California by way of the isthmus of Panama in 1849, while the mother crossed the plains with her parents. They were married after Mr. Johnson came to El Dorado County. About 1870 he settled on a tract of land near Clarksville, later secured title to the property, and there lived for thirty years. Shortly before his death, which occurred in 1904, he went to make his home with his daughter in Calaveras county. The mother passed away in 1900. They were the parents of six children, five sons and a daughter, of whom two sons are deceased.
Edward E. Johnson received his educational training in the public schools of Clarksville, after which he worked on various ranches for a number of years. For the past twenty years he has devoted his attention to cattle and sheep raising, in which he has met with substantial success. His home ranch is but a short distance from Clarksville and there he spends the winter months, while in summer he takes his cattle and sheep to the higher ranges of the Sierra mountains. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is held in very high regard by those who know him. During all the years of his residence here he has stood for those things which make for the good of the community and is recognized as one of the substantial and dependable men of this locality.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
© 2010 Gerald Iaquinta.