El Dorado County
WARREN C. GREEN
Of the mercantile interests of Georgetown Warren C. Green is a well known representative, and he is also one of the most prominent and successful mining men of the county. Of California he is a native son, his birth having occurred in Placer County on the 22nd of July, 1862. His father, R. P. Green, was born in Springfield, Illinois, in 1824, and engaged in lead mining at Galena, that state. He came to El Dorado County at an early epoch in the development of California and engaged in placer mining. In 1859, however, he returned by way of the water route for his family, and with them came across the plains to the Pacific coast. They were annoyed by the Indians and the men in the train sometimes stood guard all night to give the warning if the savages should make an attack. On other occasions they traveled all night in order to escape the red men. On the second trip Mr. Green was accompanied by his brother, Wright F. Green, who now resides in Los Angeles.
On again reaching the Golden state the father of our subject located in Placerville where he continued mining. At one time he was connected with a mining venture whereby his lost five thousand dollars, but subsequently he took out gold enough in six months to meet all his indebtedness. In 1864 his wife died, in the twenty-fourth year of her age, leaving to him the care of their two sons, Edwin and Warren C. He then discontinued mining and was in the stock business for some years. In 1880 he removed to Montana, locating at Corvallis. They were eleven months traveling by wagon, spending the winter at Salem and reaching the Bitter Root Valley on the 26th of July, 1880. There the father located on four hundred and eighty acres of land on which he erected a good home, making it his place of abode until his life’s labors were ended in death on the 24th day of February, 1895, when he was in his seventy-first year. Edwin Green, who came to California with his father and mother on the former’s second trip across the plains, is now associated with his brother in the store at Georgetown. He married Emily Gardner and they have five children: Ruth, Walter, Frank, Hazel and a baby. The Green brothers are rated among the most enterprising businessmen of the county and are proprietors of the leading mercantile establishment at Georgetown.
Warren C. Green was educated in the public schools of El Dorado County and in Colusa County, and at the age of eighteen he put aside his textbooks to learn the more difficult lessons in the schools of experience. He embarked in mining as a common laborer and was employed in that way for two years, after which he served as a foreman of mines for two years. On the expiration of that period he became a mine owner and mine superintendent, but continued his active connection with the development of mines until January, 1899, when he purchased a general mercantile store in Georgetown. He has since conducted this enterprise and has found it a profitable source of income, but he is still largely interested in the development of the mineral resources in this part of the state, and has seven hundred acres of mining land four miles east of Placerville. For a number of years he has been one of the most active and successful promoters of mining in his county and he has in his possession thirty-two pieces of pure gold taken from his mines that are valued at from twelve to one hundred dollars, the value of the entire collection being eight hundred dollars. He also has a five-dollar gold piece which was made in 1849, of pure California gold, the government permitting private parties to coin gold at that early day. It was found by a placer miner when washing for gold and is a very valuable piece of money which would command much more than its face value. Mr. Green has purchased and sold many mining properties and his dealings have brought to him an excellent financial return. At one time he had three hundred acres of land on the Georgetown divide which he sold to the Two Channels Mining Company mostly formed of Indianapolis capitalists.
Mr. Green was married in 1882 to Miss Mary Hoxey, of Placerville, a native of that state and a daughter of M. P. Hoxey, a California pioneer. They have three children, Ruby Estella, Edwin and Myrtle. Mr. Green is an active member of the Republican Party and for thirteen years has served on the Republican county central committee, his efforts proving of great benefit. He is a man of marked business ability, never making an engagement which he does not fulfill and never incurring an obligation which he does not meet. His prosperity is the result of his diligence, capable management and keen sagacity.
Transcribed by Gerald Iaquinta.
© 2011 Gerald Iaquinta.