Search billions of records on



Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1870's & 1880's | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1904  | 1905  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911 | 1912 | 1913-1915 | 1917-1920's


County's News 1906
County's News 1906a
County's News 1906b
County's News 1906c

County's News 1906d
County's News 1906e
County's News 1906f
County's News 1906g

County's News 1906h
County's News 1906i
County's News 1906j
County's News 1906k





The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Monday, August 20, 1906

Page 6


Four Boys Out Hunting Use Powder House For Target and Results Are Disastrous YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 20 - Three boys lost their lives and a fourth is fatally injured from a terrific powder explosion that occurred yesterday morning at the powder house of the Hercules Powder Company about a mile and a half from Yreka. The bodies of the dead have not yet been recovered, although remnants of clothing and a foot and other portions of a human body have been found by a searching party.

The body of Bertie HOLLAND, who was fatally injured, was found about 100 yards from the powder house, where it had been thrown. The boy was unconscious, and so badly injured that there is no hope of his recovery.  HOLLAND’s brother, a boy named HAGADOM, and an unknown lad were killed outright.

The cause of the explosion is said to be from a bullet from one of the small rifles with which the boys were hunting.


Felt for Miles

The concussion was felt for miles around, and rocks and debris were hurled for a full mile and a half from the scene. Great damage was done at Yreka.  Every plate glass window in the town was broken, and chimneys were shaken.  The jail was so badly damaged that prisoners could not safely be confined therein last night. The High School building was also damaged. The damage here would have been enormous, and possibly there would have been some loss of life, were it not for the fact that Yreka was protected by a hill.  Dr. O.B. SPAULDING and his wife happened to be on the road near by the powder house going outfor a fishing trip when the explosion occurred. They met James D. FAIRCHILD within 100 yards of the scene a few minutes before the disaster. They stopped and conversed for a short time. They both noticed four boys coming up the road. The boys were firing their rifles at different marks on the road, and Dr. SPAULDING remarked that it was dangerous to be about when boys were discharging their weapons in that way. Having said good-by they parted, and had but separated for more than three or four minutes when the explosion occurred.


Had Narrow Escape

Luckily for them, they both happened to be in a small gulch and escaped injury. It is supposed the boys used the powder house for a target. The powder houses have a grate ventilator on the top of the building, also one on the floor. It is claimed that during the hot weather the nitro-glycerine runs out of the boxes and some of it must have leaked out and reached the bottom ventilator and the boys used that for a target.


Holland’s Body Found

One of the boys, M.H. HOLLAND’s son, was found about 200 yards from the destroyed building unconscious. He was at once removed to the city. He cannot live. The other three boys have not been found so far. A foot and some flesh were found about 250 yards in an opposite direction from where HOLLAND’s body was found. Pieces of clothing and a shoe have also been found.

Dr. and Mrs. SPAULDING and James D. FAIRCHILD consider themselves lucky that they had not remained conversing any longer, otherwise they would have lost their lives. There are two more powder houses within a short distance of the destroyed one. Luckily, the nearest one contained only about fifty pounds of powder. The roof was lifted to one side and several of the large stones were broken.


Railroad Track Damaged

The railroad track runs within a few feet of the houses. It was completely wrecked for about 200 yards. Some parts of the rails were found three hundred yards away. The telephone and telegraph lines were completely wrecked for some distance. The railroad people are in hopes of having a train running to-night. The Scott Valley Stage Company sent out their four-horse stage to Montague to meet the north-bound train and bring in the mail and express.


Horse Killed

Not a trace of the powder house can be seen. Its parts have been scattered in all directions for miles around.

A horse belonging to Job MILLER, which was a mile away from the scene, was killed by flying rocks.

E.N. STEVENS was driving a double team a mile and a half from the scene, and one of his horses was knocked down. He was thrown from the rig, but escaped serious injury.


Found Helpless By the Roadside

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 20 - Found in a helpless condition by the roadside, where he had landed with a broken collar bone and other serious injuries as the result of a runaway accident, E.H. THOMPSON, an aged and widely known rancher residing south of this city, was taken home, where he now lies in a serious condition.

THOMPSON started for Auburn, driving a colt and a well-broken farm horse.  The day being hot he raised a large wagon umbrella over the seat. The jolting of the wagon flung if from the socket and landed it on the back of the colt. Both horses started on a wild run. Fearing that they would collied with a barbed wire fence THOMPSON jumped and was dragged some distance before relinquishing his hold on the reins. The horses finally became entangled and halted.

Some time later the Auburn mail carrier came along and found THOMPSON by

the roadside in a helpless condition. He took the runaways in charge and

lifted the injured man into his rig, returning with him until he met Levi JOHNSON, who took THOMPSON home. Dr. ROBINSON was summoned from the city. He found THOMPSON suffering from a bad fracture of the collar bone and serious injuries to his left hip and leg, and it is possible that he has also sustained internal injuries.


Child Dies From Burns Received

CHICO (Butte Co.), August 20 - The 2-year-old daughter of Charles WEBER, of Forest Ranch, sixteen miles east of Chico, died early yesterday morning from fatal burns received Saturday afternoon. The little girl was playing with matches and in some manner the matches became ignited and her clothes caught fire. Before her screams brought assistance she was enveloped in the flames and was so severely burned that death resulted at an early hour Sunday morning. Dr. ENLOE was summoned from West Branch but could do but little.


Badly Bruised in Runaway Accident

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 20 - Chas. HAMPTON, of this city, sought to conquer an unruly horses which he was driving on Eighth Street last evening by lashing the animal with the buggy whip. In a twinkling the horse locked the bit in his teeth and brought the rig up against the fence of the southeast corner of D Street and Eighth. Miss Boena KORB, who was riding with Mr. and Mrs. HAMPTON, was thrown from the rear seat of the buggy over the fence and through a sapling. Mrs. HAMPTON was forced by the impact to one side of the horse and her husband landed on the opposite side.  All three were injured but none seriously. HAMPTON has several abrasions on his face and a piece of the picket which was broken was extracted from his forearm. Both woman are suffering contusion and bruises, besides the effect of the shock to their nerves. 


Submitted by Betty Loose



The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Tuesday, August 21, 1906

Page 6

Patrolman Burton Dismissed, Marshal Wilson’s Resignation Requested, Curran Suspended and Jenkins Reprimanded OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 21 - After the Board of Trustees, sitting as a Board of Equalization, had adjourned yesterday, they immediately reconvened as a Board of Trustees in special session on police conditions.  City Marshal WILSON was called as a witness and virtually corroborated his evidence given before the Board previously. He again declared that Officers JENKINS and CURRAN knew where the money was coming from that had been paid to them. The most money ever brought him in one week was $31. When asked if Constable REILLY had ever given any money to him since the incorporation of Oroville he said no, and if he had made a statement of that kind he had lied.

Officer BURTON, who it is alleged collected the money, when called refused to be sworn on the ground that it was not a regular meeting, and, further, that he did not have to answer any questions that would incriminate himself.  He was asked several questions but refused to answer.  Officer CURRAN swore that a Chinese restaurant keeper had told him that Constable REILLY had demanded $5 of one of the women of the under-world. He still declared that he did not know the money he had received was graft money when he took it.

Officer JENKINS swore that when WILSON handed him the money he said, “Here is some pin money,” but further than that he knew nothing of where it came from.   

Burton Dismissed

The Board then adjourned until the evening session, when a resolution was introduced and unanimously passed requesting the resignation of Marshal WILSON and summarily dismissing Officer BURTON from the force. The resolution also provided for the suspension of Officer CURRAN for a period of thirty days while Officer JENKINS was reprimanded for conduct detrimental to the service.

Marshal WILSON stated last evening that he would refuse to resign, the resolution of the Trustees to the contrary notwithstanding. It is not thought the Board will take any further action in his case until the Grand Jury renders its report.

Other Changes

After the adoption of the resolution the Board discussed the policing of the city. Officer TOLAND will be taken from the jail and placed on day patrol and County Jailer BOTTJER will be given charge of the City Prison at a salary of $30 a month. An ordinance will be immediately introduced providing that the salaries of policemen be increased from $65 to $75 per month. A special officer was appointed to serve in CURRAN’s place during his suspension.

A large crowd of citizens was present at the meeting and evidently approved the action. Much interest is being manifested as to what the outcome of the Grand Jury’s investigation will be.

Constable REILLY has returned from Santa Cruz and declares he is ready and willing to face any charges that may be brought against him.

Powder House Built With Double Walls

REDDING (Shasta Co.), August 21 - The disaster at Yreka caused by boys shooting through the ventilators of a powder house Sunday morning and exploding 32,000 pounds of giant powder stored within calls attention to the construction of the powder house one mile below Redding.  James R. HOLT, the building contractor, speaking of the construction of this house, says it is impossible for the Yreka disaster to be repeated in Redding by thoughtless boys. The Redding powder house, like all others, is built with double walls, a two-inch space for ventilation between.  Ventilation holes pierce these walls, but the holes in the outside walls are eighteen inches lower than the holes in the inside walls. So it is impossible to shoot through the holes into the powder magazine, even though boys or men should try to do so. Had the Yreka powder house been built with this precaution, the disaster of Sunday could not have happened.


Perjury Charge Against Ben F. Crabbe and J.D. Finnicum Dismissed on Motion of District Attorney RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), August 21 - Ben F. CRABBE and J.D. FINNICUM, the two young men of Chico who were arrested a few days ago on a charge of perjury, and later had the additional charge of manslaughter placed against them, were to-day discharged from custody after a preliminary examination on motion of the District Attorney.

The young men admitted that they concealed the fact that CRABBE had accidentally shot Harry HOYT for a bear while hunting, but as it was shown that the inquest was held over the line in Butte County there could legally be no crime of perjury committed, as the Tehama County Coroner had no jurisdiction to administer a legal oath in Butte County.  The evidence showed so conclusively that the shooting was accidental that the District Attorney could not do otherwise but move that the manslaughter charges be dismissed.

Harry HOYT was an employe at the Sierra Lumber Company’s mills. He was shot and killed near West Branch Mills, Sunday, August 5, by CRABBE, who mistook him for a brown bear. At the inquest held by the Coroner of Tehama County, CRABBE and FINNICUM failed to tell the truth of the killing. They afterwards broke down and made a complete confession, and were arrested on a perjury charge.


Yreka Man Gets A Heavier Dose In Superior Court Than He Got When Tried By City Recorder YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 21 - The case of Joseph F. WETZEL was settled by Judge BEARD yesterday when he sentenced WETZEL to pay a fine of $100 or fifty days in the County Jail. On January 9, 1906, WETZEL was arrested for violating a city ordinance by building a fence extending about eight feet on one of the main streets of the city.

The case came before the Recorder and a jury trial was demanded by the defendant. The Court exhausted three days in trying to get a jury of twelve men. Almost every available man in the city was summoned for the jury, outside of about thirty witnesses who were called in on the case.  The Recorder exhausted the city for the jury and then had only six men in the jury box. He asked the defendant if he would accept that number, but WETZEL wanted a full jury of twelve.

The Recorder took the matter under advisement and decided not to let the case drop but to try it without a jury, and so ordered. He found the defendant guilty and sentenced him to pay a fine of $75 or serve seventy-five days in the city jail.

The case was appealed. It came up before Judge BEARD in the Superior Court and a Jury was obtained. The defense subpoenaed about thirty-five witnesses but only put about six on the stand. The case was submitted to the jury on Thursday. The jury remained out all night and brought in a verdict of guilty and recommended the mercy of the Court. Judge BEARD fined WETZEL $100, the maximum.

Red Bluff Couple Wed at San Rafael

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), August 21 - Word comes from San Francisco that two of the most prominent people of Red Bluff’s younger set have been married in San Rafael. The prospective marriage was hinted at last week but denied. The news, however, reached here to-day that Isaac KARMEN and Miss Frankie LIVENGOOD had been married in San Rafael. They will reside in San Francisco.


Six-Year-Old Girl Sets Fire To Her Clothing While Lighting Her Father’s Old Corn-Cob Pipe REDDING (Shasta Co.), August 21 - Trying to smoke mountain balm in her father’s corn-cob pipe, as she had seen her brothers do, Pearl WATTS, 6-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James WATTS, was nearly burned to death Sunday at Bella Vista.

She went behind the barn to make the experimental smoke. In lighting her first match her light cotton clothing caught fire. She ran screaming towards the house, her body enveloped in flames. Mrs. WATTS, the mother, met her half-way and snatched off the burning clothes, burning herself severely about the hands in doing so.

The little girl’s body from the waist line to the neck was burned to a blister, the worst places being beneath the arms. The attending physician says that the sufferer will recover although recovery will be slow, painful and tedious.

Killed Rattler But Nearly Lost an Eye

REDDING (Shasta Co.), August 21 - William KEENEY, head clerk in the Nash Mercantile Company’s store, killed a rattlesnake Sunday, near Balls Ferry, but nearly lost an eye in doing so. Seeing the reptile coiler on a rock by the roadside he stepped up close to it with his shotgun in his hands. He fired one shot which killed the snake all right, but the fine shot of the charge scattered sand and gravel in his eyes, almost blinding one of them.  His comrade tried to remove the foreign substance from the injured optic, but failed to do so. It was feared that the sight was permanently destroyed.  KEENEY was brought to Redding, twenty miles, before the services of a doctor could be secured. The physician says the sight is not destroyed, but KEENEY will have to wear bandages for weeks.

Asks Court For Prohibitive Writ

WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), August 21 - The preliminary examination of J.B.  GRAVES, of Carrville, under arrest on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon with attempt to commit murder, was not held here yesterday in Justice of the Peace BARBER’s Court, the attorneys for GRAVES applying in the Superior Court for a writ of prohibition, which will be heard Saturday.  The case was transferred from Carrville to Weaverville on the ground that Justice COFFMAN was not qualified to hold the preliminary examination because he was to be summoned as a witness. The point now raised is that instead of transferring the case to Weaverville, Justice COFFMAN should have called a Justice of the Peace to Carrville to hold court for him. The Superior Court will decide whether the Weaverville Justice has jurisdiction.  Carrville is thirty-five miles from Weaverville.

Have Killed Five Mountain Lions

KENNETT (Shasta Co.), August 21 - J.P. SCHULTZ and Marion SIMMONS have the scalps of five mountain lions they have killed during the past week in the mountains across the river from Kennett. Hunting stories should be backed up with affidavits or scalps. SCHULTZ and SIMMONS present indisputable evidence. Furthermore, they will receive $7.50 for each scalp, the county paying $5 and the Stock Association $2.50 additional.



The Evening Bee Sacramento, Cal.

Tuesday, August 21, 1906

Page 7


Mrs. Minnie P. Relley, of Grass Valley, Called By Death While Visiting Relatives in Illinois

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 21 - A brief dispatch was received here late yesterday afternoon announcing the death of Mrs. Minnie P. RELLEY at Springfield, Illinois, whither she had gone eight weeks ago to visit with relatives whom she had not seen in nearly a quarter of a century. Her death was due to acute Bright’s disease.

Mrs. RELLEY, according to letters received from relatives, was taken ill the day before she was to leave for this city. She grew rapidly weaker until death summoned her. Prior to leaving here for Springfield she was warned by the attending physician, but decided to make the trip, that she might see her dear ones for the last time. The body left Springfield this morning.  Interment will be made here.

Mrs. RELLEY was the youngest pioneer woman in California. She crossed the plains in 1849 with her parents when only 5 years old. The family resided for a few months in Napa Valley before coming to this county. Her father was a miner, sawmill owner and hotelkeeper, amassing a fortune which went to her in the main, there being only one child. She made her home here ever since the year the family landed in the State. Her husband, the late Dr. J.W.  RELLEY, died four years ago. Mrs. RELLEY leaves no relatives closer than an uncle and several nephews in Illinois. She leaves a valuable estate, consisting of residence and mining interests in this county and lots and residences in Oakland. She was aged 62.

Harvester Burned

LODI (San Joaquin Co.), August 21 - A big combined harvester, the property

of Ben POPE, was completely destroyed by fire last evening. The crew had finished a day’s harvesting of grain in a field just at the outskirts of Linden and retired for the night. POPE says he was awake at 10 o’clock and at that hour there was no indication of fire. An hour later he was awakened by a bright blaze, but before assistance could arrive the big machine was a mass of flames with no hope of saving it.

The harvester was operated by an engine and a big tank of oil fed the hungry flames. It was with great great difficulty that the field of grain was saved from destruction.

Foot Injured

CHICO (Butte Co.), August 21 - E.B. VETTER, an employe in the Diamond Match

Company’s machine shops here, was painfully injured yesterday afternoon by having his left foot mashed by a falling piece of iron. VETTER was working at one of the machines when in some manner a 200-pound piece of channel iron fell mashing his left foot before he could get out of the way. He was taken to the Sisters’ Hospital where the injured member was dressed.


Hand Of One Of The Boys Killed In Yreka Explosion Found Three-Quarters Of A Mile Away

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 21 - Since the terrible powder explosion Sunday people have been searching for the bodies of Jesse CRAWFORD and Carl SCHMIDT, whose lives were lost. Several human bones have been brought in and handed over to the Coroner. Thre shoes and pieces of shirts and pants have also been found.

Mrs. HOGGARDINO, mother of Carl SCHMIDT, has recognized a shoe that was found as her son’s. It had an iron brace, which was put on the heel only a couple of days ago. A hand of one of the boys was found at Dr. McNULTY’s Ranch, three-quarters of a mile from the scene of the disaster.  There has been considerable damage done to buildings in the city, especially to the Court House and County Jail, several windows being broken.  The casing of the window frames was thrown from 2 to 5 inches out of plumb.

Large cracks were made in the plaster at the Court House.  The Mayor of the city issued circulars yesterday instructing the citizens not to light any fires in their residences until their chimneys had been first examined by H. SCHOOK, Chief of the Fire Department.

Miner Fell Down Shaft To His Death

PLACERVILLE (El Dorado Co.), August 21 - Word came from Diamond Springs

yesterday afternoon that John KENNEDY had fallen down the shaft of the Koch Mine, and was killed.

He was engaged in building a hoist over the shaft, and slipped from the plank on which he was standing and fell to the bottom, a distance of seventy feet.

He was Secretary of the Miners’ Union here since its organization. On the 14th of this month he was selected by the Socialist Party to represent El Dorado County at the State Convention, which meets in Oakland on September 3d.

The remains are now at Coroner WINCHELL’s undertaking establishment where the inquest will be held.

Boy’s Neck Broken While in Swimming

IONE (Amador Co.), August 21 - Maurice ESMOND, a boy, had his neck broken

this morning while swimming with some companions in a pool near town. He took a high dive, and in some unaccountable manner broke his neck. He was taken to his home and physicians summoned. They declared the unfortunate lad could not live as his neck was broken at the first vertebra.

Boy Drowned

LODI (San Joaquin Co.), August 21 - Cornelius, the 10-year-old son of George

SCHOLL, was drowned in the Mokelumne River Sunday afternoon. The little fellow sank in the presence of his brother and a dozen other school-boy companions without a struggle being made to save his life.  The body was recovered yesterday afternoon by William LUPTON.

Stockholder Finds His Mine in Tangle

NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), August 21 - Another chapter has been added to the

long story of George B. DUNLAP, his marital troubles and the Isis Mine at Washington, this county. Robert MAGEE, wife and child have arrived from new York to investigate the manner in which the Isis has been running. MAGEE knew nothing of DUNLAP’s troubles until he reached this city, but came out as a large stockholder in the property to look into its management. He was decidedly surprised to learn of the charges made against DUNLAP by the woman who claims to be his wife, and still more surprised to learn that the mine had been tied up in attachment proceedings. He will investigate affairs and then take steps to straighten out the tangle. DUNLAP’s affairs have been given attention at length in The Bee of late. There is nothing new relative to him in the matter. He is still absent.

Runaway Accident

NEWCASTLE (Placer Co.), August 21 - While Mrs. E.C. COBURN and Mrs. Ed. G.NARIMORE were driving off the Newcastle Southern Pacific Railroad crossing the horse took fright, ran against a mid-road telephone pole throwing both women out and wrecking the buggy. Mrs. COBURN escaped with a few severe scratches and bruises, but Mrs. NARIMORE is believed to be seriously injured.


Bullet From Small Rifle, Accidentally Discharged, Enters Neck and Severs

Jugular Vein

LODI (San Joaquin Co.), August 21 - One of the most distressful accidents that ever occurred in this county happened yesterday afternoon on the NOLAN ranch, west of Acampo, when young HARTMAN, aged 15, shot and killed his little sister, Rosie HARTMAN, aged 7.

The bullet from a 22-caliber rifle entered the little girl’s throat near the windpipe, severing the jugular vein, death resulting before Dr. TOWER, who was called, could reach the scene.

The HARTMAN family are recent arrivals from Dakota and are reputed to be wealthy. The mother yesterday afternoon was working in an orchard two or three miles distant. The father had come to Lodi on an errand and the two children were left alone.

The boy and his little sister had just emerged from the front door and as he stepped onto the porch the rifle in some manner was discharged just as the child came in range. The trail of blood shows that after the shooting she walked to the end of the porch then retracing her steps entered the house. She again returned to the porch, where the body later was found by neighbors.

The brother, instead of hurrying for a physician, started for the orchard where his mother was at work. At Acampo he stepped into a merchandise store and informed one of the clerks of the shooting. The clerk in turn telephoned to Lodi for a physician and the boy continued his journey to the colony where his mother was cutting fruit.

She was frantic when informed of the accident and later was prostrated with grief.

Winner of Bee Trip Goes to Lake Tahoe

NEWCASTLE (Placer Co.), August 21 - Miss Louise CORKHILL, of Newcastle, one

of the successful Bee trip contestants, started for Lake Tahoe to-day for a ten-days outing at the Bee’s expense. Miss CORKHILL’s large circle of friends, both here, in Oakland and in Nevada, rejoice in her success.

Died From Injuries

PLACERVILLE (El Dorado Co.), August 21 - Mrs. SWEENEY, of Granite Hill, died

very suddenly at her home on Sunday from injuries received in a runaway a short time ago. Mrs. SWEENEY was believed to have been recovering and her death was quite a shock to her friends. She was 72 years of age, and has lived in this county since early days.

Submitted by Betty Loose



The Evening Bee Sacramento, Cal.

Friday, August 24, 1906

Page 6


Aged Grass Valley Couple To Observe The Fiftieth Anniversary Of Wedded Happiness

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 24 - The second golden wedding anniversary

in this city to be celebrated within a week will be observed this evening, when Mr. and Mrs. William KOHLER throw open their hospitable doors. The event will be in the nature of a home-coming of the children and other close relatives, and among the latter are Mrs. William ZADOW, son and daughter, of Eureka, Nevada, who arrived last night.

Both Mr. and Mrs. KOHLER are pioneers of this State, and have lived here almost continuously since the early days. Mr. KOHLER sailed from Hamburg in 1849 on the small two-master Julia, for San Francisco, and the almost unknown land where gold had been discovered. After a stormy passage around the Horn, the little German ship finally reached San Francisco late in 1849.  There the young German saw a chance to go into business. Being a baker and confectioner, he opened a shop and made money rapidly in the lively but scattered town of rough-board shacks among the sand dunes. It was there he met Miss Sophia Dorothea MAU. They were married August 24, 1856. Of this union a number of children were born, four of whom survive.

In 1859, Mr. and Mrs. KOHLER moved to Nevada City, where Mr. KOHLER went

into business. He was burned out in the big fire of 1863, but soon afterward erected a brick structure of his own. Ill health took him to Virginia City, Nevada, in 1869, but in 1874 the family moved to this city, where it has resided ever since. He retired from business in 1889. He owns considerable valuable property here.

Happily married, Mr. and Mrs. KOHLER have come down through the long stretch of years to the sunset of life, still happy in each other’s presence, keen and bright, hale and hearty, surrounded by the hosts of friends and highly esteemed throughout the entire county.

Half of Stolen Money Recovered

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 24 - A search by Sheriff CHUBBUCK yesterday

resulted in the discovery of $250 of the money stolen in the Union Hotel

Wednesday afternoon from Ed NOLAN. The money was found in a saloon deposited

to the credit of one PRICE, one of the men who is under arrest. Where the remainder of the money is, the officers have been unable to determine so far, and they are still searching for another man supposed to have been implicated in the theft. It is supposed the money was divided and he received half. PRICE asserts that NOLAN only had $250, but NOLAN denies this, and avers he was robbed of $500.


Testimony Introduced At Dora Chipp Trial Indicates That Indian Girl’s Attack Was Premeditated

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 24 - District Attorney LUTTRELL closed the prosecution’s side of the Dora CHIPP murder trial half an hour after the opening of Court this morning. It is now believed that the defense will close by evening. To-morrow will be devoted to arguments, and by Saturday evening the case will rest with the jury.

The witnesses examined yesterday were R.O. OLIVER merchant at Piacaid;

Mrs. Ida SEAVERS, Mrs. Cinda CRUME, William BEALE, A.D. SLEEZER and Silas

OBENCHAIN, Sheriff of Klamath County, Oregon, who captured Dora CHIPP at Bonanza three days after the tragedy.

The most important evidence taken yesterday was that of Mrs. Cinda CRUME, half-sister of the accused. She visited Mrs. BEALE on the Thursday preceding the Sunday on which the murder took place. Mrs. BEALE then said that she and her children would visit with Mrs. THACKER on the following Sunday and would stop on the way to pick up Mrs. SEAVERS. Mrs. CRUME, when she reached home Thursday evening told Dora CHIPP about Mrs. BEALE’s proposed Sunday visit.  This establishes the fact, then, that Dora CHIPP did not meet Mrs. BEALE by chance on Sunday morning in front of Mrs. SEAVERS’ home. The testimony of the half-sister is deemed important because it established or tends to establish that Dora CHIPP’s attack upon Mrs. BEALE, which resulted in the death of Mrs. BEALE’s baby girl, was premeditated.

Aged Corning Woman Answers Final Call

CORNING (Tehama Co.), August 24 - Mary WEBSTER TAYLOR, wife of Richard

TAYLOR, died Tuesday at her home south of this place after a long illness and decline due to old age. The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon.

Mrs. TAYLOR was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1831, and was married in 1854. Her husband survives her. The ceremony was performed in Sheffield with the customary ring service of the Episcopal Church. The ring, which is now worn to a fine wire, still adorned the now wrinkled hand, and except by accident on one occasion, the ring had never been off since placed there over a half-century ago.

Mrs. TAYLOR has resided in Corning six years and on November 6, 1904, celebrated with her husband their golden wedding.  Except the husband, no relatives reside in the United States.


Colonel Arlington C. Ellis, One Of Original Locators Of Great Balaklala Mine Succumbs To Asthma

COPLEY (Shasta Co.), August 24 - Colonel Arlington C. ELLIS, veteran of the Civil War and one of the best known mining men in Shasta County, died here yesterday afternoon from asthma at the age of 65. For thirty years past he had lived in this county and for twenty-five years he was connected with the great Balaklala Mine, of which he as one of the original locators. This is the mine for which a smelter costing $1,500,000 is now being erected at Coram.

Colonel ELLIS never realized much money from the mine that is worth millions. When it passed into the hands of the present owners a little over a year ago he received a check for $10,000, which represented all that he had left to show for his twenty-five years’ connection with the great copper property in which he was always a part owner. He stayed by the Balaklala through thick and thin and knew the mine one end to the other.  He enlisted in the Civil War in 1862 as a Sergeant of Company B, Fifth Minnesota Infantry. After fourteen months’ service he was discharged on account of disability. He was never commissioned Colonel, but the title was his by general consent of all who knew him in this part of the State.  For several days it had been realized that he was approaching the end, and a brother in Minnesota was notified. The brother telegraphed that he would leave for Copley at once. He arrived here this morning, but too late to see Colonel ELLIS alive.

May Be Contest For Guardianship

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 24 - There is likelihood of a contest for the

position of guardian of the persons and estate of the four children of the late John J. and Jane McGRATH when the matter is brought before the Court.  >From present appearances Robert McGRATH, a brother of the children’s father, and Mrs. Louis HICKESON of Honcut, a sister of Mrs. McGRATH, will be the petitioners.

A meeting of the parties concerned including a number of relatives on each side, has been held without an agreement being reached.


Infuriated Fox Terrier Runs Loose On Grass Valley Streets And Causes Fright

Until Subdued

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 24 - A supposedly mad dog created a reign of terror yesterday on North Church Street. The brute was finally captured and tied up. It seemed to recover, but its master, Geo. FOUTZ, declares he will kill it, fearing another outbreak.

Mrs. FOUTZ’s attention was attracted by the snarling and snapping of the dog, a fox terrier. As she appeared at the door the brute, with foam dripping from its jaws, sprang at her throat. She managed to slam the screen shut just in time. The dog struck it and fell back, snapping with rage. The shock overcame Mrs. FOUTZ, who fainted away. Others in the house telephoned for Dr. CHAPPELL to attend her. Before the physician arrived, however, FOUTZ appeared. The terrier dashed at him and sprang over the gate straight for his face. Instantly realizing that he had a mad dog to deal with, FOUTZ struck out and was lucky enough to strike the infuriated beast a hard blow, knocking it into the street. It then ran down toward Main Street, turned and came back and ran into the yard. It continued to run around the house, snarling and barking.

Meanwhile the people in the neighborhood had hurried inside doors and were watching events through the windows. Finally the dog caught its head in a hole in a wall and was lassoed and dragged away vainly endeavoring to bite its captors. Its owner says he will not take a second chance with it.

Lineman Received Severe Injuries

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 24 - Ed. WARREN, of Yuba City, employed by the

Sunset Telephone Company as lineman, had a thrilling experience and lucky escape from fatal injuries yesterday afternoon. As it is, he will be unable to attend to his work for a week or ten days, on account of a bad scalp wound and injuries to his right foot and ankle.

WARREN was leaving town to repair some lines in Linda Township, and had driven only a short distance on to the D Street bridge when his horse became frightened at a large drilling machine drawn by four horses. The horse cavorted and pranced, and finally landed in between the two spans of horses.  This caused a general mix-up, and finally WARREN’s rig was upset, landing him beneath the driller, the near wheel of which ran over his right leg.  When picked up he was in great pain, and was bleeding from a bad gash in the forehead, the result of his head coming in contact with the bed of the driller.

Several Weddings in Yuba County

YUBA CITY (Sutter Co.), August 24 - The matrimonial market in Yuba City is

considerably on the increase and shows three weddings slated to take place in the near future. Miss Margaret SPEER, daughter of Mrs. Emma SPEER, of Yuba City, and Thomas RIDDLE, of Sutter City, will be married at the residence of the bride’s mother next month. The young couple are well and favorably known.

Mr. and Mrs. William H. STOKER issued wedding invitations yesterday to a number of guests to be present at the marriage of their daughter, Miss Pearl, to Fred O. SIMMONS, the happy event to take place at the residence of the bride’s parents on Wednesday evening, September 5th. They will reside in Yuba City.

(Rest of article cut off)

Many Would Attend State Convention

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), August 24 - A meeting of the Democratic Central

Committee is to be held here to-morrow to select delegates to the State Convention. The Democrats are enthusiastic here this year, and a number are anxious to attend, notwithstanding that heretofore it has not been an easy matter to get delegates who would always go in person. There are six to be chosen. Among those who desire to go are H.P. ANDREWS, W.F. IRWIN, J.J.  WELLS, Ed. F. LENNON, W.B. MILLER and R.F. MILLER, of Red Bluff; J.A.

FLANAGAN, of Corning; J.J. WORTHINGTON, of Tehama; B.F. KAUFFMAN, of Paynes


Anderson Folks Wed

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), August 24 - On Thursday a marriage license was

issued to Grant SOULE, a native of Ohio, and Mrs. Clara CHILDERS, a native of Missouri. Both are residents of Anderson. They were married by Justice BRANSFORD in the evening. The groom is a section foreman at Anderson. They departed on their honeymoon early this morning, and will visit the northern parts of the State before returning to Anderson.

Submitted by Betty Loose



The Saturday Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

August 25, 1906

Page 6


A Well-Known Marysville Couple United In Marriage At Pacific Grove - Engagement Announced MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 25 - Cupid is still enjoying a vacation as far as Yuba County is concerned, but from a distance comes the news of splicings-up by her citizens. At Pacific Grove this week, Daniel GRAY and Mrs. Rose BLOCK, both of Marysville, joined heart and hand, both entering on the matrimonial sea for the second time.

Albert H. ARMSTEAD, of Wheatland, was married at the First Baptist Church in Oakland this week to Miss Kittie HOPKINS, of the latter place.  The approaching nuptials of Leon B. BREEDAN, of Chico, and Miss Irene SMITH, of this city, is announced, the date fixed being September 12th.


REDDING (Shasta Co.), August 25 - Four marriage licenses were issued this week, the couples receiving them being Nathan F. ARNOLD, aged 23, and Grace REID, aged 23, both of Oak; Rudolph H. ANDRES, aged 23, and Kate REID, aged 17, both of Oak; Benjamin D. PINKHAM, aged *1, of Coffee, and Mrs. Elizabeth E. FLOWER, aged 37, of Trinity Center; James L. MARSHEL, aged 27, of Oak Run, and Dillie STEVENSON, aged 21, of Millville.  Jacob PENTURF, of Iron Mountain, has instituted an action for divorce from Lucretia PENTURF.


WILLOWS (Glenn Co.), August 25 - A marriage license was issued this week to C.N. JACOBS and Miss Bertha E. LADUKE, both of Hamilton City.


CHHICO (Butte Co.), August 25 - Word has reached this city of the marriage of A.J. EATON and Maggie L. DELANEY in Roseburg, Oregon, Judge G.W.  WANNACOTT performing the ceremony. The groom is the son of I.F. EATON, of the Parrot Grant, and has been for a number of years foreman of those extensive holdings. They will reside at the ranch.

Five Candidates For Constable

CHICO (Butte Co.), August 25 - From present indications there will be no dearth of candidates for the position of Constable of Chico Township in the coming Conventions, as five have already announced their candidacy - three subject to the Democratic Convention and two subject to the Republican Convention. There are J.L. BARNES (incumbent), F.L. MARTNETTE and Jesse H.  HARDEN, Democrats, and James P. CARROLL and Frank C. McENESPEY, Republicans.Thomas HINDMAN (incumbent) is also expected to make his announcement in the near future.

Chico Township is entitled to two Constables and, as the position is recognized as being remunerative, there are many desirous of securing the office.


Dora Chipp Gives Her Version Of Killing Of Sylvia Beale - Indian Girl Was Only Witness For Defense YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 25 - The Dora CHIPP murder trial is at an end so far as the taking of evidence is concerned. The defense closed yesterday afternoon. At the evening session of the Court District Attorney LUTTRELL put up two witnesses in rebuttal and then made his opening argument.  To-day will be devoted to argument and the case will go to the jury before evening.

Dora CHIPP, the Indian defendant, occupied the stand a good portion of the day yesterday. Her story is that the two shots that were fired into the head of Sylvia BEALE, the 18-months-old daughter of Mrs. William BEALE, were fired by accident, her pistol being discharged accidentally. Each of the two times it fell out of her pocket while sh was struggling with Mrs. BEALE.  The Indian girl was the only witness put on the stand by the defense. She proved to be a good witness, and answered the questions of the District Attorney on cross-examination without hesitation. She stuck to her story, and could not be twisted. She showed no emotion whatever, when telling of the death of the baby girl, which she said was accidentally shot. She showed remarkable courage for a woman. Several times while on the stand she forgot instances and distances, but these did not materially affect her story.  The Court-room was crowded with spectators while she was on the stand.  Many women were present, and the room was unable to hold all who sought to hear the evidence.

The general opinion is that if the Indian girl’s attorneys succeed in saving her neck, she will be exceedingly lucky.


Declares He Has Never Thought Of Such A Deal - Construction Work To Begin As Soon As Possible SAN FRANCISCO, August 25 - John MARTIN denies emphatically the report sent out from Marysville that he had sold his California Midland Railroad, which is to be built from Grass Valley to Auburn and Marysville, to the Northern Electric Railway Company.

“I cannot imagine,” he said to The Bee’s correspondent yesterday, “how such report originated. I have never thought of such a deal, and if Mr.  BUTTERS has, he never told me of it.”

“It is true that Mr. BUTTERS did speak to me relative to handling construction work on the Midland, but that is all. Why Colonel FORBES accompanied him on the trip to Grass Valley, which the dispatch speaks of, I don’t know.”

Mr. MARTIN said he proposed to begin the building of the Midland as soon as right of way matters were in proper shape. The labor scarcity, he added, would cause some trouble but beyond that he saw nothing to delay work on the railway.

Ownership of Two Calves in Dispute

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), August 25 - A civil suit for damages was tried in Justice of the Peace BRANSFORD’s Court yesterday, in which Mrs. Cordelia VOSS was the plaintiff and Henry GRONEMEYER defendant. The case arose out of a disagreement as to the ownership of two calves which GRONEMEYER testified he marked several months ago. Witness for Mrs. VOSS claimed that the calves were only recently branded and earmarked. A number of prominent businessmen of Red Bluff testified to the good character of the defendant, while some of the people of Hunter thought that the general reputation was not good. The defense endeavored to show that GRONEMEYER had placed his brand on the calves belonging to the old woman, and that she was entitled to damages.

Escaped From Hospital

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 25 - Henry RACKELBUSH, an aged farmer of the Prairie district, who was admitted to the Yuba County Hospital yesterday, escaped from that institution some time last night while in a deranged mental condition and at an early hour this morning was found by Officer BECKER, hatless and coatless, wandering along the Fifth Street grade en route to Sutter County.

There is a suspicion on the part of RACKELBUSH’s relatives that he is losing his mind. He will be examined by a commission in lunacy if there are no signs of improvement this week. The patient is 78 years of age, according to the register, but he claims to be 96.

Right Arm and Foot Cut Off by Train

DELTA (Shasta Co.), August 25 - C.D. O’FARREL, of San Francisco, who has been working in the mines above here, was very severely injured by a train early this morning. He fell beneath the wheels and his right foot and right hand were cut off. He was taken to Redding where he was placed under the care of a physician. He will recover, although his injuries are exceedingly painful.


Over $250,000 IN Gold Taken From The Lagrange Mine In Trinity County Since Last January WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), August 25 - The final clean-up for the season at the Lagrange hydraulic mine, four miles west of this place, was completed yesterday and amounted to between $150,000 and $160,000 in gold. Two other clean-ups were made earlier in the season, the first yielding $76,000 in gold and the second $32,000. The second clean-up was made on July 11th as an object lesson for several of the Eastern stockholders, who were then visiting the mine.

The three clean-ups or the total for the season, give over $250,000 in gold as the result of operating three giants since early in January. The shut-down is made now because of the shortage of the water supply. Work cannot be resumed until the rainy season, when water will again be plentiful, which will be in December. This season’s run was shorter than usual because the heavy snows last Winter made it impossible to open up as early as usual.

The cost of operating the Lagrange this season was $60,000. The production of over $250,000 in gold leaves a wide margin of profit. Forty men are all that are required to operate the mine and attend to the long ditch, the reservoirs and the flumes.

The Lagrange is always spoken of as being the greatest hydraulic mine in the world. The anti-debris law does not interfere with its operation, for the debris passes into the Trinity and Klamath Rivers, along which there are no ranches that can be overflowed.

Holding Primaries

WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), August 25 - The Republicans are holding primary elections in every precinct in the county to-day to elect delegates to attend the County Convention that will be held here next Saturday. the Democratic County Convention will meet here next Tuesday.

Submitted by Betty Loose



The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Tuesday, August 28, 1906

Page 6


Greek Hold-Up Men Tell Victim They Are Sorry, And Ask Him Not To Prosecute And Add To Their Grief OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 28 - Ben SALVATORI and L. MILLIGI, the two Greeks who robbed A.M. ANDERSON, the jewelry peddler, last Friday, were up before Justice WARD yesterday and were bound over to answer before the Superior Court on a charge of robbery.

They both confessed to the theft and gave full details of the crime.  The had seen ANDERSON make a display of his money, they said, and plotted the hold-up.  They told where they had thrown their guns away, and all other particulars.

After the examination Justice WARD inquired of them through the interpreter if they had any questions to ask ANDERSON. They held a whispered consultation, and finally stated that they wished to apologize to him for robbing him.

They begged ANDERSON to let them go, as they had apologized. But the officials did not see it in that light.

Chico People Wed Away From home

CHICO (Butte Co.), August 28 - The marriage of several well-known Chico people in other cities has been announced here, and in most cases the news has come as a surprise to their most intimate friends.  Last Sunday Frank RIFFE and Mrs. Annie SCHNEIDER departed for Sacramento, where they were married later in the day. Mrs. SCHNEIDER is the well-known proprietor of the Dooley restaurant of this city. The married couple will spend their honeymoon in San Francisco and Santa Cruz.  The marriage of W.H. WADE, a former well-known young man of Chico, to Miss Gussie May HOOK, of San Jose, in that city last Tuesday, has just become known here. The young couple will make their future home in Chico.  Yesterday a marriage license was issued in Oroville to Walter Lee LAWSON, aged 21, and Sarah J. LETTERMAN, aged 17, both of Chico. The consent of the mother was given. Later it was learned that that parent is the mother of twenty-one children, and is contemplating marrying again soon. She resides on Nord Avenue north of Chico.

Jeffress Property Brings Good Price

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), August 28 - The JEFFRESS property on the northeast corner of Walnut and Jefferson Streets was sold yesterday for $4020, the previous bid of $3750 being raised by Mrs. Mary A. FORTIER. Judge ELLISON in the Superior Court confirmed the sale at this figure inasmuch as the property was sold by Public Administrator E.F. LENNON for an estate.  This sale marks a new high-water mark in values of Red Bluff real estate, and while some old residents declare that other values will not keep pace with this figure, still there are many conservative investors who hold that desirable property here is cheap at the present prices.  It will be remembered by Bee readers that this same corner was settled upon as the site of the proposed Carnegie Library, but this movement was defeated by certiorari proceedings, and then the gift of a $35,000 building from Mrs. Elizabeth KRAFT ended the proceedings. This last-named building has not been commenced on account of legal difficulties in securing the site on the opposite corner.

Northern Electric Buys More Property

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 28 - The right-of-way agent for the Northern Electric Company has purchased of William GERN the latter’s lot at the southwest corner of Fifth and I streets used recently for holding open-air dances during the Summer months each year.

It is understood negotiations are under way whereby the same company is to become the owner of the A. WEISS row of cottages in Fifth Street, between G and H Streets.

These deals and others under way seem convincing proof of the railroad people’s determination to widen Fifth Street to 100 feet instead of eighty where their main line of double track for both freight and passenger service will be laid.

93-Year-Old Man Enjoys the Circus

REDDING (Shasta Co.), August 28 - The oldest person who attended the circus yesterday in Redding was Frederick ROCHON, aged 93 last March. His home is in the County Hospital. Yesterday his heart was as young as that of any 6-year-old boy, and he walked with light step two miles to see the big show.  ROCHON is famous locally as the discoverer in 1870 of a nugget worth $3725, which he picked up on Spring Creek, near the site of the town of Keswick.

Exonerated Napa Man Before Dying

RENO (Nev.), August 28 - There will probably be no prosecution resulting from the death of Charles DELANEY, a gambler, who was fatally beaten by Julian SECORD, formerly of Napa, Cal., in a street fight on July 15th.  DELANEY died last night. SECORD has not been arrested.  DELANEY exonerated SECORD before death and mrs. DELANEY asks that there be no prosecution, saying that her husband was to blame. DELANEY was a bad man and had a record of killing a man in Colorado.

Bride’s First Meal Was Cause of Fire

OLD DIGGINGS (Shasta Co.), August 28 - The two-story dwelling occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Kirby P. STOWE and owned by the Bank of Tehama County was burned Saturday afternoon. The fire originated in a defective flue. The loss on building is $500; contents, $250; no insurance.

Mr. and Mrs. STOWE were married only a week ago, and the wife was cooking the first meal in the new home when the fire started from the defective flue.

Found Dead

PLACERVILLE (El Dorado Co.), August 28 - The body of a Chinaman known as “Crazy Sam” was found on a trail leading to the Landecker Mine. The Chinaman had been dead for a couple of weeks and the corpse was dried and shriveled, there being nothing much left but skin and bone. No inquest was held, as the old man had unquestionably died from natural causes.

Early Settler Dead

PLACERVILLE (El Dorado Co.), August 28 - Mrs. James KEANE, of Lotus, died at her home on Sunday evening about 8 o’clock. Mrs. KEANE was a native of Ireland and an early settler in the county. She was 60 years of age. Two sons and four daughters survive her.


No Papers In Pockets To Establish Identity and Body Is Badly Decomposed After Week’s Exposure ONO (Shasta Co.), August 28 - The badly decomposed body of a middle-aged man was discovered yesterday morning on Jerusalem Creek, twelve miles west of this place by Roy McFARLIN, little so nof (sic) A.J. McFARLIN. The lad was so badly frightened by his grewsome find that he did not stop to take a second look, but scampered off over the hills two miles to tell his father about what he had seen.

Word reached here at noon and a telephone message was sent to Coroner BASSETT at Redding. He arrived here last night and left early this morning to hold an inquest.

Nothing is known here except that the body of the dead has not been identified by those of the McFARLIN neighborhood who visited the spot yesterday. No papers of any kind were found in the pockets. No one could recognize the features. The man had probably been dead for a week, but who he was or where he came from is a matter of conjecture. Possibly the Coroner may be able to get more definite information.

Sent to Stockton

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 28 - Judge McDANIEL and a Commission in Lunacy

pronounced Henry RACKELBUSCH, an aged farmer of Prairie district, of unsound mind last evening. He was taken to the State Hospital at Stockton to-day.

Submitted by Betty Loose



The Evening Bee

Sacramento Cal.

Thursday, August 30, 1906

Page 1

New Evidence May Save Weber’s Neck


Swore Against Accused to Square Himself

F.P. TUTTLE of Auburn, counsel for Adolph WEBER, awaiting execution for the murder of his father, filed a sensational affidavit with Governor PARDEE, and also filed a petition asking a reprieve for his client for thirty days.

The affidavit is that of Alfred P. WHEELAN, an attorney of San Francisco and a brother of Fairfax WHEELAN, the political reformer of that city.  WHEELAN’s affidavit is to the effect that Henry CARR, the San Francisco broker who testified that he sold WEBER the pistol with which he slew his father, mother, brother and sister, is a perjurer.

WHEELAN brought the affidavit to Sacramento to-day, together with one by Isaac WILLIS, of the same tenor.

The affidavit recites that several days prior to the final determination of the motion for a new trial in WEBER’s case, which was then before the Supreme Court, WHEELAN was returning to San Francisco on the ferryboat from Oakland, when he met Isaac WILLIS. WILLIS informed WHEELAN that he wished a friend of his named Harry WILLIAMS, who then resided in San Francisco, would consult with him regarding the WEBER case. An appointment was made by WHEELAN to meet WEBER, and a few days later WILLIAMS called at WHEELAN’s office, then located at 510 Montgomery street, San Francisco.  WILLIAMS told WHEELAN that for many months prior to the arrest of WEBER he had been very intimate with and upon very friendly terms with Henry CARR, the pawnbroker. He said that one evening, after the arrest of WEBER, he called at CARR’s pawnshop, where he picked up a copy of a newspaper containing the statement that detectives were searching Sacramento, San Jose and other cities to ascertain whether WEBER had purchased the pistol with which he killed the members of his family at any pawnshop.  At that time, the affidavit recites, CARR was under indictment by the Grand Jury for having received stolen goods and was greatly worried over the case against him.

WILLIAMS told WHEELAN he said to CARR that the WEBER case offered a chance for “a good piece of money” and that at the same time he could “square” himself with the authorities in the criminal case, then pending against him, by becoming a witness against WEBER.

WILLIAMS said CARR replied to the suggestion that he knew nothing of the WEBER case; that WEBER had never purchased a pistol from him, nor did he have any knowledge of any of the facts connected with the case and that he was in trouble enough and did not propose to mix up any more with the law or the Courts.

WILLIAMS then left the pawnshop and the next day left San Francisco on a business trip and did not return for two or three weeks.  After his return, WILLIAMS told WHEELAN he saw in a San Francisco paper where CARR had testified that he sold WEBER the pistol and identified the weapon.

WILLIAMS went to the pawnshop where he taxed CARR with having committed perjury, and CARR ordered him out of the place.

WILLIAMS then consulted WILLIS as to what steps he should take to bring the facts of the case to the attention of the proper authorities.  The meeting of WILLIS and WHEELAN followed and the appointment for WILLIAMS to meet WHEELAN was arranged.

In his affidavit, the deponent says he took notes of WILLIAMS’ statements and reduced them to writing. The statement was read to WILLIAMS, who, after some minor corrections, approved it as correct.

This statement was destroyed by the great fire of April 18th.  WHEELAN deposes that he went to Edward LANDE, a practicing attorney in San Francisco, and imparted to him the statement made by WILLIAMS.  The affidavit recites that having seen in the papers that Attorney TUTTLE was seeking clemency for WEBER at the hands of Governor PARDEE, WHEELAN telegraphed to TUTTLE notifying him that he had valuable information for him, and on Tuesday, August 28th, TUTTLE went to San Francisco, where WHEELAN told him all the facts set forth in the affidavit.  WHEELAN deposes that he does not know WEBER and has no interest in the case whatever, and makes the affidavit solely in the interest of justice.  WHEELAN deposes that to the best of his belief WILLIAMS is now a resident of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

WHEELAN telegraphed to that place to-day in an effort to locate WILLIAMS.  The affidavit to Isaac WILLIS relates the conversation he had with WILLIAMS, which is the same as that WILLIAMS had with WHEELAN.  TUTTLE filed a petition for a reprieve of thirty days to enable him to locate WILLIAMS.


The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Thursday, August 30, 1906

Page 6

Though Buried, Man Not Officially Dead

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 30 - Dead and buried, yet not officially dead, the body of Juan LAZUNA will be exhumed next Saturday at Truckee by Coroner HOCKING of this city, in order that the office may be able to present a legal report and allow Public Administrator TAYLOR to proceed.  LAZUNA was run over by a train in the Truckee yards recently, his head being cut off. Judge HILL, the Deputy Coroner, chanced to be in San Francisco at the time, having left his affairs in the hands of Charles OCKERS, a Truckee undertaker. The latter, believing himself authorized to conduct the inquest, did so.

When Coroner HOCKING finally ascertained how matters stood, he consulted District Attorney JONES, who yesterday informed him that to enable matters to proceed the body should be taken up in order that an inquest be conducted by one clothed in official power. LAZUNA leaves an estate worth nearly $600.

Family at Circus and House Robbed

CHICO (Butte Co.), August 30 - Mrs. Jerome MOORE, residing south of Chico, reported to the local police yesterday morning that while the family was at the circus Tuesday afternoon some one effected an entrance to the house and succeeded in getting away with quite a quantity of silverware and jewelry.  The house had been securely locked when left Tuesday and the theft was not discovered until Wednesday morning when it was found that two trunks had been pried open and the contents dumped on the floor. Officers have the matter in hand.

Gets Five Years

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 30 - Ah Jim, a Chinaman who was arrested on Monday for stealing amalgam from one of the boats of the Feather River Consolidated Company, had his preliminary examination yesterday and was bound over to answer to the Superior Court. In the afternoon he came before the Court, pleaded guilty and asked immediate sentence, with the result that he was sent to San Quentin for five years.

City Buys Engine

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), August 30 - The City Trustees met yesterday and closed a contract with R.S. CHAPMAN, who represents the American La France Fire Engine Company, for the construction of a one-third size Metropolitan fire engine. The cost is $5386, and the delivery is to be made by January 1, 1907. This engine is to replace one that was destroyed by fire.

Lewis Getting Well

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), August 30 - It is now reported that young LEWIS, who was shot by James ARMSTRONG in Washington a few days ago, as told in The Bee, will marry Ada ARMSTRONG. The father, it is said, has expressed his willingness for the match.

LEWIS is getting along nicely, and will soon be able to leave the hospital. ARMSTRONG is still confined in the County Jail.

Will Wed Sunday

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), August 30 - The marriage of Miss Bessie H. PRICE, of this city, to Charles R. HOPTON, of Yolo, the announcement of which was made in The Bee a few days ago, will be solemnized next Sunday at 1 p.m., at the residence of the bride’s mother in this city. Rev. PICTON, pastor of the Christian Church, will officiate. The young couple will leave on the afternoon train for a short wedding tour of Del Monte, Santa Cruz and Ben Lomond.

Drowns in Klamath

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 30 - B.F. ROUSE, an employe of a United States Geological Survey party, lost his life in the Klamath River last Friday. His body has been recovered and will be shipped to (not legible).


GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 30 - A pretty wedding was solemnized here yesterday when Miss Mary A JAMES became the brie of Frank C. HOLMAN. The happy event took place at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Noah JAMES. Miss Lizzie JAMES officiated as bridesmaid and Miss Beatrice JAMES as ring-bearer. Simon CRASE performed the office of groomsman. The marriage was performed by Dr. George W. BEATTY, of the Methodist church, in the presence of many relatives and friends.

Sudden Death

NEWCASTLE (Placer Co.), August 30 - While John ERTLE, former Postmaster at Rocklin, and a prominent G.A.R. man, was planning to attend the funeral of his comrade, H.L. HOWARD, Tuesday, he shoved back his chair from the table where he was sitting, threw up his hands and immediately expired. Heart disease was the probable cause.

Tore Locket From Neck of a Woman

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 30 - George MEYERS, alias “Blackie,” - a notorious character, was booked at the Police Station last night on the serious charge of attempt at robbery.

“Blackie” visited a crib on Oak Street and tore from the neck of a Creole named Annie BROOKS a gold chain and locket. Frightened by the woman’s screams, he ran to the saloon conducted by Edward WALLS and was in the act of forcing open a screen door locked on the inside when the barkeeper, Joseph BROWN, came out and laid him low with a blow on the head with a revolver.

The police have thus far failed to locate the locket and have only a portion of the chain.

“Blackie” was in jail here last Winter on suspicion of being an accomplice in the crime of relieving a Sutter County farmer named PRITCHARD of his watch. There was not sufficient proof at the time to convict him.

Buy Horses For Fire Department

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), August 30 - The day of hand power in the local Fire Department is about at an end. Two magnificent horses were purchased yesterday by the Special Firemen’s Committee for $400, and will soon be brought here and turned over to the city. One of the animals is unbroken, but will be thoroughly trained by the farmer from whom the pair was purchased before the firemen attempt to work the horses.  Each is four years old and will weigh over 1300 pounds. Protection Hose Company will be given one of the animals and Eagle Company the other.

New Spelling Has Another Champion

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 30 - Principal A.B. MARTIN, of the Marysville High School, has come out in favor of the new method of spelling and promises to go into print in explanation of his stand.  He claims that he recommended the phonetic form to his pupils last term in the way of suggestion that they become acquainted with a system he felt would soon come into popular favor.

Boy’s Leg Mashed By a Falling Car

IONE (Amador Co.), August 30 - Lawrence FORBES, a boy, had his left leg mashed and later amputated yesterday, and to-day lies in a critical condition. He was pushing a car near the clay bank when it struck the bank and went over the grade. Young FORBES glove became caught and he fell with it, his leg being mashed almost to a pulp above the ankle.

Charges Fraud

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 30 - W.B. VAUGHN, an employe of the Ohio Stables, was arrested late last evening by Constable REILLY on the charge of defrauding a lodging-housekeeper. VAUGHN has been rooming at the Melborne lodging-house, and N. EUSTAHIW, the proprietor, alleges that he left the house failing to pay his room rent and was on the point of leaving town.  Therefore he swore to a complaint against him.

Town’s First Church Will Be Dedicated

KENNETT (Shasta Co.), August 30 - The first church built in Kennett will be dedicated to-morrow evening by Bishop J.W. HAMILTON of San Francisco, assisted by Rev. Fay DONALDSON of Redding.

The church, built by the Methodists, is a handsome frame edifice, costing $1000, and is a great credit to a new camp like Kennett. The building is paid for. The Mammoth Copper Company donated the site.

Pioneer Miner Dead

LOYALTON (Sierra Co.), August 30 - Charles Edmund FISHER died Sunday in a local hospital of old age and was buried Tuesday. He came to California from Maine in 1859, and followed mining for fourteen years. He was quite well to do at one time. He was 74 years of age and never married. A cousin from Nevada County was the only mourner. He had a brother and sister in Maine who are still living.

Nearly Killed

NEWCASTLE (Placer Co.), August 30 - A very distressing and nearly fatal accident happened near Penryn Sunday. M.R. STRUBLE and three children were going to church in a light spring wagon. Two were on the seat with the father, and the other in a small chair just back of them. By a sudden lurch the chair upset throwing the boy between the wheel and wagon, where his head was rapped on by the spokes. Stopped quickly, the horse began backing, throwing the little fellow to the ground, where wheels and horse both backed over him. When picked up it was though life had gone, but it proved only a swoon, and unless internal injuries develop nothing but severe bruises will result. How he escaped instant death will ever be a mystery to those who saw him fall.


Submitted by Betty Loose



The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Friday, August 31, 1906

Page 6


Topples Over As He Attempts To Climb To The Top And Life Is Crushed Out Of Him In Twinkling LAMOINE (Siskiyou Co.), August 31 - Willie DRAPER, the 6-year-old son of D.K. DRAPER, was accidentally killed here last evening about 7:30 o’clock.  With a number of playmates he was running about one of the lumber yards, and in attempting to climb to the top of one of the lumber piles was crushed to death, the pile falling upon him.

The boy’s companions screamed for help, but it would not have been possible to have save his life even had men been on hand at the moment. The body was taken from the debris and carried to the DRAPER home.


W.P. Harkey’s Will Filed For Probate

YUBA CITY (Sutter Co.), August 31 - The will of the late W.P. HARKEY, drawn on January 27, 1906, has been filed for probate in the Superior Court here and September 15th is the time set for hearing the petition of Mrs. Clarinda HARKEY for letters testamentary.

The estate is valued at $43,084.95, consisting of the following items:

Promissory notes, $12,300; levee warrants, $7140; corporation stock, $5900; cash in banks, $10,944.95; furniture and house and lot in Yuba City $6800.

The devisees are Mrs. Clarinda HARKEY, his wife; William S. HARKEY and Mrs. Ida V. CAMPBELL, his children. Some time ago Mr. HARKEY deeded to his son, W.S. HARKEY, 800 acres of land in Butte and Sutter Counties, and to his daughter, Mrs. Ida CAMPBELL, the HARKEY and GELZHAUSER Tracts, north of Yuba

City, the value of these lands being $80,000.



Engineer Mallory Writes To Oroville He Will Stop In Shasta On Way Home, And That Is Last Heard OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 31 - James S. MALLORY, a mining engineer now in the employ of the Western Pacific in this city, is missing, and the greatest apprehension is felt for his safety.

About a month ago MALLORY was sent to Portland for the purpose of purchasing machinery to be used on a steam shovel. He fulfilled his mission and wrote that he intended to stop over at Keswick upon his return, to look at some mining property, after which he would proceed here at once.  This was over two weeks ago and since that time he has completely dropped out of sight.

A Bee dispatch from Redding, dated August 30th, in regard to the finding of a dead man twelve miles from Ono, still more alarmed his friends here, but upon conferring with the Coroner of Shasta County it was found that the description did not tally with MALLORY’s.

Last night John SCHREINER, a particular friend of the missing man, who had dispatched him upon his errand to Portland, left for Keswick, where he will attempt to locate him or at least secure some trace of him.  MALLORY is a man of exemplary habits. This increases the alarm of his friends, as it makes more probably a fatal accident of some kind, since otherwise he would have been heard from by now.



Seized With Cramps He Sank To Death Before Companions Could Reach and Rescue Him ALTA (Placer CO.), August 31 - Warren PENNIMAN, of Berkeley, aged 19, was drowned in Lake Alta about 4 o’clock yesterday afternoon.  With several companions he was swimming in the lake when he was seized with cramps and sank. Every effort was made to save him, but to no avail.  His body was recovered half an hour after the drowning. It will be sent to Berkeley.

PENNIMAN’s father is President of the California Powder Works and his family is a prominent one at the Bay. The young man himself was very popular and had a promising future.


Will Become Nun

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), August 31 - Miss Clara CONRATH, a well-known young woman of this city, has announced to her relatives and friends her decision to enter the order of Notre Dame as a nun. This move is in accordance with a resolution Miss CONRATH made prior to the death of her father, ee-Supervisor (rest of article cut off).



Growth in Attendance Makes Necessary Better Accommodations For Pupils of the Gridley District.

GRIDLEY (Butte Co.), August 31 - The Gridley Union High School will open on September 11th with the same corps of teachers as were employed last year, vis: Principal, E.E. WOOD; assistants, Misses Elisabeth KEYEAR and Schoene KURLANDSIK.


The Grammar School begins on September 17th with the following teachers” Principal, G.R. HUNTER; grammar department, Miss Sue WILKINS; intermediate, Miss Lottie CHANNON; primary, Miss Ann WELCH.  With the increase in the enrollment induced by gain in population during the past year the matter of a new High School building is soon going to be a vital question in this community. At the present time the High School occupies two rooms in the grammar school building, but the later school is soon going to need all the rooms for its own pupils, in which event the High School must hunt new quarters.

Realizing these facts, the Board of Trustees of the High School has already made prevision for a site, having purchased two acres of land immediately west of the public school building for the purpose of erecting a new structure when occasion shall demand.



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), August 31 - The Yreka High School opened its doors last Monday. Mrs. BALFREY, County School Superintendent, feels very well satisfied with the showing the graduates made last year, all of whom have entered the State University with high averages, one of the graduates receiving a scholarship.

The Yreka High School has the standing of one of the very best in the State of California. It opened Monday with sixty-one pupils. Comparing this year with last, it shows an increase of twenty-two pupils.  The Annual Teachers’ Institute will be held at Etna this year from October 2d to 5th. The citizens of Etna intend doing their best to entertain them.  It is the second time that the institute has been held there.  F. LIDDEKE is Principal here for the fourth time. Miss G. TICKNOR will have charge of the English and Chemistry Department; Samuel BEAUMANN, History and German; Andrew OLIVER, Latin and Greek; Miss Helen STAPLES, Elementary Algebra, Drawing and Commercial branches.  The Etna High School commences its term for this year on the 3d day of September. G.H. HARKBERWOOD is the Principal; Miss Ma LEMON, Science and Mathematics; Miss Helen HENNY, English and History.


Arraignment of Accused of Officers

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), August 31 - City Marshal WILSON and former Officers BURTON and RIPPEY, who are charged with extortion, and Constable REILLY, who is charged with protecting gambling houses, will be arraigned next Tuesday morning at 10 o’clock.

The arraignment has been delayed owing to the great mass of evidence the Court reporter has had to transcribe, and which will not be completed until Saturday.

The date of the preliminary examination will also be set at that time.


County Delegates

WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), August 31 - Among the delegates elected at last Saturday’s primaries to attend the County Republican Convention are the following: Weaverville - James MORRIS, A.L. PAULSEN, C.S. WILSON, C.H. NEWELL, G.T. DAVIS, J.K. ACKERMAN, H.C. INGRAM, C.D. WOODMAN and John WHITMORE; Dedrick - Napoleon NESBIT and Fred REED; Hawkins Bar - Jere SMITH and George IRVING; Cox Bar - Thomas C. PATTISON and Thomas TRELOAR, Jr.; Indian Creek - John A. ROGERS and John WILLIAMS; Hayfork - William THOMPSON, Frank MARINGER, J.H. KELLY, J.L. HIALSTONE and M.B. PARLIN; Junction City - Jesse LYONS, Geo. CHAPMAN, Charles BRADBURY and George DOUGLAS; Trinity Center - Elias ELLERY and John LARSON; Lewiston - J.W. PHILLIPS, W.A.  HAMPTON and James WILSON.



Mexican Bootblack Makes Fatal Attack On A Former Placerville Resident Who Was Seeking Police Aid STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), August 31 - Cruze MIRANDO, a Mexican bootblack, fatally shot Mrs. Belle CROOKS, an American woman, on the Court House grounds yesterday afternoon at 4 o’clock. The assault was most cold-blooded, as the assailant waited until his victim passed him, when he commenced shooting her in the back. He had been persecuting her with his attention for some time, but the woman would have nothing to do with him.  Mrs. CROOKS was accompanied by Mrs. ALNSIE and the two were walking around the southeast corner of the building when MIRANDO puled his revolver and shot. He fired three times, two of the bullets taking effect in the woman’s back.

Chief of Police BAKER heard the shots and rushed out of his office just in time to catch MIRANDO as he slipped and fell. It was first thought that the assailant had shot himself, but he was merely stunned from striking on the pavement. The patrol wagon was summoned and the bootblack was hauled to jail.

A couple of men caught Mrs. CROOKS as she fell. She was taken to the Emergency Hospital but the physicians state that she cannot recover.  Mrs. ALNSIE told the District Attorney the following story of the shooting:

“I saw the Spaniard approaching us. I said to my friend, ?It’s all off.’ She said, ?What and I told her that dirty Spaniard was there. He then shot at her and she ran toward the police office while I hurried in the other direction.

“I saw the man only once and that was this afternoon before the shooting.  Mrs. CROOKS said he had followed her on the streets for the past two months much to her annoyance.”

Mrs. CROOKS has lived here all her life. She was on her way to the police office to complain of MIRANDO when shot. Her mother resides in Placerville and has been notified of the shooting.

Submitted by Betty Loose




© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Sacramento County