Search billions of records on



Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1870's & 1880's | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1904  | 1906  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911 | 1912 | 1913-1915 | 1917-1920's



California County's News 1905a
California County's News 1905b
California County's News 1905c
California County's News 1905d
California County's News 1905e






Saturday Sacramento Bee

May 6, 1905



Marriage Licenses Issued and Divorce Decrees Granted in Various Counties

REDDING (Shasta Co.), May 6 - There was a good deal more doing in the divorce line this week in Shasta county than in the way of matrimony. While only two marriage licenses were issued, three suits in divorce were begun and one interlocutory decree of divorce was made final.

  The marriage licenses went to the following couples: George SCHILLER, aged 70, and Mrs. Anna Leonora RESTER ,aged 60, both of Redding; Elsworth HYATT, aged 38, an Mrs. Anna LEWIS, aged 35, both of Keswick.

  Ethel E. HENDRICKS, of Redding, received a final decree of divorce from Dr. Clarence D. Hendricks.

  Actions in divorce were brought as follows: Mary C. NASCIMENTO against Manuel J. Nascimento; Christine T. LUCAS against P.G. Lucas; Mary BROWN against William W. Brown.

            IN SOLANO COUNTY

SUISUN (Solano Co.), May 6 - One marriage license was issued during the past week. It is as follows: Harvey R. HATHWAY, 21, and Millicent E. THURBER, 18, both of Vacaville.

  Divorce suits have been filed this week as follows: Daisy L. CLARK, of Vacaville, against Frank Clark, on the grounds of failure to provide; Minnie M. CLEARY, of Vacaville, against her husband, Wm. F. Cleary.



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), May 6 - A marriage license has been issued to Thomas H. BENTON, aged 66, and Mary Emma COLBERT, aged 39. This wedding is to be celebrated Sunday, May 7, at the M.E. Church at Fort Jones, and will be public. This is an unique affair. Colonel Benton, as he is commonly called, is an old resident of Scott Valley, while his wife came to Fort Jones recently. Both are colored.

  Other licenses issued were as follows: Henry C. HOWARD to Rosa BYBEE, both of Happy Camp; Hubert William HART, aged 21, to Carrie E. GAINER, both natives of California and residents of Little Shasta; Chas. L. WILLARD to Anna REYNOLDS; Robert EGUN, aged 28, to Myrtle PICARD, aged 17, both of Picard, this county; Chas. EVANS, aged 29, to Stella WADSWORTH, aged 23, both well-known people of Butte Creek Valley, where Evans is engaged in farming.

  Interlocutory decrees of divorce have been granted to Alma De WOLF from G.W. DeWOLF, and to William FAUST from Clemantine Faust.

  Henry HAGEDORN was granted a final decree of divorce from Bertha Hagedorn.


            IN COLUSA COUNTY

COLUSA, May 6 - The following marriage licenses were issued during the past week: Joseph FLACK, aged 32, and Miss Magdalene HIEGEL, aged 30, both residents of Sites; Thomas Joseph BUTLER, aged 28, and Mrs. Mattie VANNANAN, aged 26, both of Colusa; Rol REYNOLDS, aged 22, and Miss Kate SIMMONS, aged 19, both of Colusa; Fred Grant PARKER, aged 19, and Miss Frances HOCHSTRAT, aged 17, both of Colusa.

  Rev. BAIRD, pastor of the Methodist Church of this place, was married last Wednesday to Miss Ethel LEWIS, of Ohio. The marriage took place at the home of the bride’s parents, whither the young man journeyed of few weeks ago. They will return to Colusa in a few days, where they will make their future home.


            IN BUTTE COUNTY

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), May 6 -Several divorce matters were heard during the past week. Emma M. RIGLEY has brought suit for divorce from Selkirk Rigley on the grounds of desertion and failure to provide.

  George M. HOFNER has been ordered to appear in Court on May 13th and show cause why he should not be punished for contempt of Court in not paying alimony to Myra HOFNER as ordered by the Court.

  The case of EVANS vs. Evans was postponed till June 6th.

  Delia FRISCHOIX was granted an interlocutory decree of divorce from Michael Frischoix.


            IN YOLO COUNTY

WOODLAND (Yolo CO.), May 6 - Christian ADE and Miss Johanna STORZ were married at the German Lutheran Church in this city Thursday evening.

  Charles James ALLEN and Mary Elizabeth PATTON, both of Winters, were licensed to marry last Saturday.

            IN YUBA COUNTY

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), May 6 - The following marriage licenses have been issued in Yuba County since last report: James MARSHALL, of Gridley, and Bessie F. BAUN, of Wheatland; Thomas F. COLLINS, of San Francisco, and Miss Nellie PENDOLA, of Camptonville.


            IN TEHAMA COUNTY

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), May 6 - An interlocutory decree of divorce was granted this week in the Superior Court to George T. BARNEY from his wife, Rosa G. Barney, on the charge of desertion . The parties reside in the Paskenta section of the county, and those who are familiar with the circumstances say that statutory grounds would have covered the case as well.


            IN NAPA COUNTY

NAPA (Napa Co.) May 6 - Miss Margaret BERNSDORF and Charles SCHWADERER were married last Saturday at the German Evangelical Church in Napa.

  Lewis E. BOBAN and Grace G. PHELAH, both of San Francisco, were married by Justice McKNIGHT.



            Child Strangles In Mother’s Arms

LOYALTON (Sierra Co.), May 6 - A little nine-month-old baby boy belonging to Mr. and Mrs. BEAUCHAMP, strangled to death yesterday morning, lying in its mother’s arms. The mother, while about her work, placed the child, which was perfectly well, on the floor. It is supposed that it put something in its mouth, which was breathed into the lungs. A physician was called, but could not relieve the child. The father is employed by the White Pine Company, and was working at the logging camp beyond Beckwith. A switch engine was dispatched to bring him home.


            Storm Interferes With Logging

LOYALTON (Sierra Co.), may 6 - The storm was followed by a severe freeze last night, damaging fruit quite badly. The storm brought the heaviest fall of snow seen in the valley and eighteen inches at Lewis Mills. It secures the grain and hay crop, but is a setback to the mills, as the snow interferes with logging.


            Death Steps in and Prevents Marriage

ALAMEDA, May 6 - William H. BARBER, son of Tax Collector Barber, died in Alameda Thursday night. The deceased was taken to a sanitarium in Alameda from Jackson, Amador County ,about three weeks ago to be treated for typhoid fever. The crisis passed Sunday night, and it was believed the patient would recover. He suffered a relapse, however, Thursday noon, and failed steadily until death came. He was to have been married on April 15th to Miss Freda DUNLOP, of Diamond Springs, El Dorado County. He was a mining engineer, 25 years of age, and a graduate of Stanford University.



J. BROWNLEE of Shasta County, Received.$7931.67 Last Year For Services In Criminal Cases.

REDDING (Shasta Co.), May 6 - Fred J. BROWNLEE, official Court reporter of Shasta County, received last year $7931.67 from the county for services performed in criminal cases. The figures are those of the county expert, who made his report yesterday to the Grand Jury, which appointed him.

  The sum paid to Brownlee shows how favorable the law is to Court reporters. This sum of $7931.67 by no means represents his total earnings for the year, for he did lots of work in civil cases, for which he was paid as liberally by the litigants as the county has by law had to pay him im criminal matters. The amount of money coming to the Court reporter from civil business is of course not a matter of record, but it must have been $2000, or quite enough to pay for the extra help he has had to employ.

  And then, on top of that, Brownlee has all the time been official Court reporter of Tehama County, and has been able to fulfill the duties of both positions.


            Owes His Life to Devoted Wife


RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), May 6 - The case of Howard Manson, the employe of the Sierra Lumber Company, who was struck on the head by a large driving belt in the planing mill on the east side of the river six months ago, has attracted considerable attention from the medical fraternity, and it was generally supposed that his case was hopeless. His strong constitution and the faithful nursing he has received from his devoted wife have proven more than a match for a fractured skull, and yesterday Manson surprised all his friends by walking about on the streets apparently as well as ever.

  He was unconscious almost continuously since the accident, and a fortnight since showed signs of regaining his faculties. His recovery was gradual, and several days ago he surprised his family and friends by waking as if from a dream with all his senses as complete as before. Aside from a little trouble with his eyes, which is believed to be only temporary, Manson is entirely himself again. The wife has patiently and steadfastly believed that her husband would be restored to her, and has fought every attempt to replace him to a sanitarium or any place where she could not be by his side. She is more than happy over the fortunate ending of what was believed to be a fatal accident, and her neighbors rejoice with her in this good fortune.


            Judge Declares Complaint Faulty

 RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), May 6 - Judge ELLISON yesterday handed down an opinion in which he declared that the complaint was defective in the suit brought by Trinity County against Mendocino County to determine the boundary line between the two counties.           

  The opinion says the complaint should show by what officer or under authority of what officer the line was run and marked on the ground; that there is a dispute between the counties as to where the true boundary line is; and if there is a line north of the one described in the complaint that is claimed by the defendant as the true line between the counties, that fact should be stated, and, if the plaintiff can, perhaps it should describe this north line by monuments, courses and distances; and if it was marked out or caused to be marked out by the defendant, that should be stated, thereby making the case of a confusion of boundaries caused by the act of the defendant.

  Twenty days are given in which to file an amended or supplemental complaint.


            Fatally Injured by Fall From Flume

RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), May 6 - A probably fatal accident occurred about 4:30 p.m. yesterday at the further end of the lumber yard of the Sierra Company on the east bank of the Sacramento River, opposite this city, and Herbert WALDENMEYER, a young man employed by the corporation sustained a fracture of the skull by falling from the flume...

(transcribers note: rest of article cut off on my copy)



Romance Develops in Which a Pioneer of 70 is to Marry Woman of 60

AUBURN (Placer Co.), May 6 - The Pioneers of Placer County arrived here yesterday and the occasion of their visit is being generally observed as a holiday.

  Last evening a reception was given the old residents at Snowden’s Hall and was attended by large crowds. The program to-day was a basket picnic at the race track grounds. Over 100 of the old Placerites arrived on yesterday afternoon’s train and a large number came in conveyances from the mountain regions. The weather was faultless, and as this is the favored time for the shrubs and flowers, the visitors came when their old abode looks its best and it was the most propitious gathering ever held by the early settlers of the county.

  There is a large difference in the number of Pioneers present from those at former gatherings, as many have passed away.

  The visitors were warmly welcomed at the reception last evening. Jacob H. NEFF was Chairman of the evening and J.M. FULWELLER made the address of welcome.

  A grand ball will be given this evening in honor of the guests.

  The baseball game between the county officials of El Dorado and Placer was one of the amusements at the picnic this afternoon.

  Quite a romance has developed in the Pioneers’ celebration. It is the marriage of two of the best-known visitors - W.F. NORCROSS and Ellen Jane SHERMAN, which was to have taken place at the reception last evening, but at the last moment the plans were changed.

  The marriage was to have been a surprising feature of the reception, and but a few were aware of the approaching nuptials.

  Mr. NORCROSS, who has been at the head of all the Pioneer excursions, is one of the most prominent of California Pioneers, and a well-known mining operator. He is in the 70's while his intended bride is in the 60's.

  He made an address to the Pioneers last evening and it was intimated that at the conclusion of his remarks he would surprise his old friends by his marriage, which was to have taken place on the platform in the presents of several hundred spectators.

  Rev. A.K. GLOVER has been selected to perform the ceremony, which will probably take place at the picnic grounds.


            A Cold Deal

MONTAGUE (Siskiyou Co.), May 6 - While Norris & Rowe circus was going on here yesterday, someone thought to be concerned with the side show, helped himself to 1000 pounds of ice belonging to R.H. PHILLIPS, the drayman of the town. Constable MILES was notified and followed the show to Medford, Oregon, where he made the charge and succeeded in settling the matter for $25 and costs.


            Kick From Horse May Prove Fatal

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), May 6 - Yesterday word was received from Hansonville that Henry KLOSS, who was kicked yesterday by a horse, is not expected to recover. His brother, August Kloss, of this place, was summoned there by telephone. The injured man is a brother of Mrs. PUTMAN and Mrs. KRUGER, of Oroville, and formerly lived here.


            Will Enforce Sanitary Laws

CHICO (Butte Co.), May 6 - The new Board of Health organized last night by the election of Dr. D.W. WASLEY as President and O.D. TABER, Jr., Secretary. Health Officer Dr. J.D. MENG was reappointed. It was announced that under the law passed at the last Legislature the local Boards of Health were given greater powers than formerly and that this Board would in the near future institute a rigid enforcement of sanitary rules.


            Athlete’s Bones Broken

CHICO (Butte Co.), May 6 - Elmer RANKER, a 16-year-old student in the Normal Training School, last evening while practicing running the hurdles, fell on his right arm in such a manner as to snap both bones of the right forearm just above the wrist.


Submitted by Betty Loose


Evening Bee, Sacramento

July 3, 1905 


HOLLISTER (Cal.), July 2 - Gustave A. KIHN has committed suicide here by taking morphine. He was a native of Hamburg, Germany, where he left a brother who is a prominent merchant in that city. KIHN left a unique will which is dated May 27, 1905, and in which occurs the following:

“In case of my death I wish and make the following regulations: My burial shall be done by Undertaker HOPCROFT. He shall procure a doctor, who has to cut and lift my heart out of my body. The doctor is to be paid for his trouble $50. My heart is to be put in my coffin outside the body. I do not want any notice of my death put up in the street or in the newspapers. Nobody, I say nobody, shall see me after death. I want Hopcroft to pay special attention to this. My funeral or interment shall be done as early as possible in the morning. Nobody shall follow my coffin. I do not want any flowers.”

KIHN left about $400. After paying $50 to the doctor for cutting out his heart and $75 for his funeral, he ordered that the balance be given to the three children of Ben O’CONNOR, a salloonkeeper where Kihn was employed as janitor. 


Floating in the Bay - Sailors from the revenue cutter Rush report that on Thursday afternoon last the ferryboat Cazadero was seen to run down the body of a man near Sausalito pier. The body is supposed to be that of Lieutenant William BLASDEL, who disappeared from the revenue cutter Rush several weeks ago. 

A Mother’s Suicide - Two little boys were made orphans in San Francisco through the suicide of their mother, Mrs. Rose WEGSCHEIDER. She was found dead in her home with the gas turned on. Her husband died about a year ago. Mrs. Wegscheider was last seen alive last Friday evening. At that time she sent her two children to bed. 

Burglars at Work - Burglars ransacked the house of Wallace BRADFORD, at 3673 Jackson street, San Francisco, Saturday night, but owing to the family making it a practice to place valuables in a safe deposit, loot worth only about $100 was obtained. 

Wanted Secrecy - Marshall G. PRATT, of Livermore, was so anxious to keep secret his contemplated marriage with Miss Katherine M. ROBERTS that he offered Deputy County Clerk A.E. JOHNSTONE, at Oakland, 50 cents if he would guarantee no publication of the license. 

Shot by His Son - Andrew J. ERICKSON, aged 50, a blacksmith’s helper, employed by the Southern Pacific, at Oakland, was shot and instantly killed Saturday evening by the accidental discharge of a 22-caliber rifle in the hands of his 12-year-old sone Eric. 

Successful Miners - Among the arrivals in San Francisco are Henry WEBER and M.E. ISH, successful operators in the Tonopah and Goldfield mining districts. Weber and Ish have made in the neighborhood of $250,000 between them. They rode a brake-beam into the Nevada mining camps over two years ago. 

A Cool June - There have been only two Junes in the past thirty-five years in San Francisco as cold as that just closed, and none colder. The mean temperature for June, 1893, 1894, and 1905 was 56; since 1874 the mean temperature has not gone lower. 

A Crazy Chinese - Wong QUAY, a Young Chinese tailor, climbed on a level with the gas jet in a crowded room at 903 Dupont Street, San Francisco, Thursday night and plunged his head into the flame. Quick hands pulled the insane man down before he had burned his head severely. 

Pay Her Way - According to the Southern Pacific and Pacific Mail people, Mrs. ROOSEVELT and her two traveling companions are included among those of Secretary Taft’s party who are to pay their own way. The trip is to be one of the favors her father promised her for her twenty-first birthday. 

New Mail Contract - Postmaster General CORTELYOU has taken one of the overland mail-carrying contracts away from the Santa Fe and awarded it to the Rock Island and Southern Pacific. The contract relates to mail from the East passing through Kansas City for San Francisco and is said to be worth to the two roads $750,000 a year. 

Poisonous Food - Ptomaine poisoning contained in canned soup or ice cream took five women to the brink of the grave at Oakland Saturday night, after a family dinner given by Mrs. F.A. DICK to her daughters, Mrs. F.A. SAWYER, Mrs. Carrie MEHAN, Mrs. Ida TRIPP and Mrs. R.L. MYRICK, of Alameda. Shortly after the meal the hostess and her guests were stricken. 

Struck by the Engine - While crossing in front of a moving engine in the yard at Tiburon yesterday, Engineer W.P. BURNS was struck by the pilot of the engine and seriously injured. He sustained a fractured jawbone and, perhaps, serious internal injuries. 

Serious Accident - A serious accident interrupted the hunting trip proposed by several young men of Oakland Saturday. In a runaway, Paul RIGUERN, an expressman, and John GOMEZ, a stevedore, plunged over an embankment and each suffered a broken left leg. 

Could Not Agree - After being out for twenty-six hours the jury in the case of Minnie ADAMS, charged with the murder of her two-year-old boy, at San Francisco, was unable to agree and was discharged by Judge LAWLOR. It was stated that the final ballot of the jury stood seven for acquittal and five for conviction. There will be another trial. 

A Quarantine Steamer - Surgeon General Walter WYMAN of the United States Public Health and marine Hospital Service has informed the officials that a vessel for the use of the service is soon to be sent to San Francisco from the Atlantic Coast. Primarily the new steamer is intended to tow the up-do-date quarantine barge now being constructed. 

A Question of Hours - A notice that on and after July 3d nine hours a day would be the rule, was posted in twenty-six printing houses at San Francisco Saturday, and the Union hands declared they would not return to work until these employers agree to concede the eight-hour conditions which have been in force in every local office for the past year. The employers say they cannot compete with Eastern houses, which have the nine-hour rule. A number of large shops, however, have agreed to continue the eight-hour conditions and will keep their places of business running.

Submitted by Betty Loose


Evening Bee, Sacramento

Tuesday July 4, 1905 


Yolo’s District Attorney and Officers Raid Hall at Winters and Make Wholesale Arrests.

WINTERS (Yolo Co.), July 4 - The promised boxing contest or “exhibition” came off Monday night as promised - and then something else came off not on the published program. The whole gang was placed under arrest.

By 9:30 there were some thirty persons in the hall, including some boys who should not have been admitted even to a contest legally conducted, and half a dozen deadheads. Two local young men, Ben CHAMBERLAIN and Johnny BERRY, gave a preliminary exhibition with regulation boxing gloves, that lasted four rounds. The boys did good work, but it was not the real thing and the spectators were impatient.

At 10:30 the fighters appeared, and after stripping, posed for a flashlight picture and were ready for business. Lorry COUSINS, who was referee, and for the one round the fight lasted, had his hands full.

Joe PERRY, of Santa Clara, was the heavier weight and seemed to put much dependence on that fact, as he was rusher from the start. Jimmie ERVIN, the San Francisco boy, would deliver his blow and get away or clinch every time. He didn’t wait for the other fellow to strike more than twice.

Then the unexpected happened. Just at the close of the first and only round, ERVIN gave his opponent a blow in the left side, just below the heart, and he fell to the floor like a dead man. The referee counted ten while PERRY lay at full length; and then it was all off.

And something else unexpected happened right here. District Attorney HUSTON, with eight deputy officers, took possession of the hall.

Everything had been well planned and a man was at every door. Two or three spectators climbed out of the windows to the awning and dropped fifteen feet to the sidewalk, but everybody else was arrested. The spectators were allowed to go on their own recognizance to appear as witnesses, when wanted; the Referee and two other participants in the arrangements were given their liberty on bail, but all those directly participating in the fight were taken to Woodland. These included E.S. SPRAGUE, the promoter, the two fighters, and F.V. HAYS, a young man acting as doorkeeper. The officers also captured the gate receipts, amounting to $20.

The arrest was made when the fight was actually in progress. Many think however, that the knockout was a fake and that the one round was fought simply that the gate receipts could be claimed. 


VALLEJO (Solano Co.), July 4 - Mrs. Amie ROE, for thirty-five years a resident of Vallejo, died yesterday at the age of 82 years. She was the widow of Professor W.F. ROE, former Principal of the Vallejo High School, and a sister of the widow of Admiral ROE, of Washington, D.C. She leaves three sons - George ROE, editor of the Vallejo Daily Times, and Marshall and Carlyle ROE. Mrs. ROE was a lovable woman and had a host of friends. 


REDDING (Shasta Co.), July 4 - After clinging to an overturned boat and a wooden pier for almost two hours last evening four of Redding’s most prominent young people were rescued in an exhausted condition.

Charles DONLEY, Wade MOORES, Miss Sadie SUTHERLAND and Miss Edna BEHRENS were taking a boat ride down the river. As they approached the bridge their craft was dashed sideways against an old wooden pier, a short distance above the bridge. The boat was capsized and the occupants thrown into the water. The girls scrambled for the pier, which was but a foot square on top. Miss SUTHERLAND and Miss BEHRENS stood there, the two men clinging to the sides, their bodies in the water. For almost two hours they shouted for help. At 11 o’clock their cries were heard and relief dispatched to them. 


RENO (Nev.), July 4 - James J. JEFFRIES, the ex-champion heavy-weight pugilist of the world, is said to have been gambling heavily since he has been in Reno. It is reported to-day that he lost $6000 in a crap game last night. The town is full of sporting men and the play is running high at all of the gambling houses. 


A Few of Them Left to Celebrate the Natal Day

As is their usual custom, the members of the Society of California Pioneers met in their hall to-day to celebrate the national anniversary, around the banquet board. The time was when hundreds came together in honor of the day and for a reunion. Father time, however, has made extensive drafts upon their ranks and the band of young men of fifty-five years ago is but a remnant of that grand army that came to these western shores in pioneer days.

To-day less that a score of gray-haired men, bent with age, gathered in the old hall which is hallowed by many memories, and exchanged reminiscences. They were mere young men when they came to the Golden State, some in their teens, and none over thirty, an had much to do with the building up of this glorious State.

The membership of this Society embraced some of the most prominent men of afafirs (sic)- Governors, Congressmen, eminent lawyers and divines, men of business and enterprise, who helped to build up the community and State.

The membership has dwindled from over 500 to twenty-five. Their names are as follows:

Life members - D.M. BURNS, Jerome MADDEN, William SIDDONS, A.C. SWEETSER and Theodore WINTERS.

The other members are: J.Q.A. BALLARD, G.J. CROSS, William DUNLAP, Hiram COOK, Thomas B. HARPER, F.S. HOTCHKISS, William JOHNSTON, H.M. LA RUE, P.S. LAWSON, W.H. LUTHER, David MEGOWAN, August MOUTON, A.H. POWERS, David ROSS, J.H. ROSE, Joseph SIMS, Steven SMITH, W.R. STRONG, William TURTON and E. TWITCHELL.

H.M. LA RUE is the President of the Association and W.H. LUTHER the Secretary.

The banquet to-day was tendered by the sons and daughters of the Pioneers, and a large number of them were present. The banquet hall was crowded, and the tables groaned under the weight of the good things that were contributed for the picnic feed. Turkey roasted and chicken boiled, fried and fricasseed, pies and cakes and fruits galore, it was a feast such as only the daughters of pioneers know how to prepare. Claret punch and lemonade were served.

After all had partaken of the feast there was a half hour of speech-making in which old and young took part, and the banquet festivities continued to the late hour in the afternoon.

Wm. JOHNSTON, of Richland, who but recently recovered from a severe illness, was among the interesting talkers. Happy remarks were made by H.M. LA RUE, P.S. LAWSON, David MAGOWAN, A.C. SWEETSER. Some of the wives of the Pioneers gave reminiscences of their experience in the early days of the State. Among the younger people, James PATTERSON seemed to be the leading spirit and he and others of the younger generation made remarks appropriate to the day and the occasion, as did also Wm. J. DAVIS, the historian of the Society.

Submitted by Betty Loose



Evening Bee, Sacramento

Tuesday July 4, 1905 


Hottest of the Season - Yesterday was the hottest day of the year up to date at San Francisco. The thermostat rose to 88 degrees a little after midday, but by 3:30 o’clock the wind was blowing nearly thirty miles an hour and the mercury had fallen to 70. 

Fifty Voting Machines - Despite a protest from Frank C. JORDAN, representing the United States Standard voting machine, and the negative vote of Supervisor ROWE, the Alameda Board of Supervisors has decided to purchase fifty voting machines from the Dean Balloting Company, represented by F.W. LEAVITT. The price to be paid for the machines is $650 each. 

Small Fire Loss - Fourth of July eve closed this year with smaller loss by fire than any preceding similar date in San Francisco’s history. The total loss by fire for the entire day was less than $100. 

A Broken Head - William EGGERS, a plumber, lost his balance and fell from the back platform of a Fillmore Street car in San Francisco yesterday, sustaining a fatal fracture of the skull. 

Don’t Want Domestic Science - From the reports concerning registration in the domestic sciences given out by the Recorder of the University of California, it has become certain that these courses at the University are a failure. Not enough women attend the Summer School now in session to make it worth while to continue the work. 

Died While Singing - While lounging in a hammock surrounded by friends and joyously singing a song, Miss Julia McQUAID, aged 36 years, a resident of San Francisco, died last evening. She was camping with a party of friends in Niles Canyon near Centerville, and had been enjoying the best of health. 

No More Gambling - Captain John BERMINGHAM, United States Inspector, issued an order yesterday which will put a stop to all gambling on vessels running on the bay and rivers. For years past the so-called excursion steamers from Napa, Vallejo and other interior towns have been veritable floating gambling houses. 

A Child on the Track - Blinded by tears because he was alone and nearly a mile from his home, two-year-old Teddy ALLEN, son of C.R. ALLEN, of North Berkeley, was rescued from death by Mrs. S. HULIN yesterday. She saw the child standing of the tracks of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Teddy was crying and shaking his baby fists at a local train that was bearing down on him, when his rescuer clasped him in her arms.   

Thrown From a Car - As a result of the reckless speed at which the Broadway cars spin around the turn at Clay and East Streets, in San Francisco, Miss Florence WAITE, a pretty young woman of Oakland may be disfigured for life. She was seated on the outside of one of these cars as it sped around the sharp turn yesterday afternoon and was thrown to the pavement. 

Caught by a Wave - An unusually large wave that came unexpectedly upon Mrs. J. HEILFRON and her 11-year-old daughter Ruth at the beach near the Cliff House yesterday afternoon, night have drowned the pair had it not been for the timely appearance of a rescuer. The force of the water knocked the two down, and when rescued they were being rolled over the sand to deeper waters. 

Killed a Man - George BISCHAL, an Austrian laborer, was shot and instantly killed last night at 9:30 o’clock in the saloon of J.A. JACKSA, at 410 Fourth Street. Joseph KASTELITZ, who did the shooting, was soon captured in his room, whither he fled just after the deed. He says he acted in self-defense. 

Struck by a Stone - Frank HESS, who has been employed by the Bulletin as a bodyguard for its carriers during the present “strike,” was taken to the Central Emergency Hospital yesterday afternoon suffering from a possible fracture of the skull as the result of a blow with a stone received at the corner of Bush and Kearney Streets. His assailant was not captured and the Bulletin charges the police with inactivity in not attempting to arrest him.

A Brutal Assault - A most brutal and unprovoked assault was made on Miss Alice CANFIELD last Saturday night in San Francisco. On the corner of Mason and O’Farrell Streets, she was set upon by a gang of ruffians, because she had a copy of the Bulletin in her hand, and one of the largest of the toughs struck her a stunning blow in the mouth, splitting her lower lip wide open. 

Well-Known Merchant Dead - News has been received of the death of Frederick L. MACONDRAY in Manila. He was connected with the shipping and commission firm of Macondray & Company, and had extensive interests both in San Francisco and in foreign countries. 

Selbby Smelting Stock - The value of stock of the Selby Smelting and Lead Company, and of the Tacoma Smelting Company, has reached high figures, according to a petition filed in the San Francisco Superior Court for leave to sell the shares belonging to William ALVORD’s estate. It is stated that an Eastern syndicate has offered the executor $704.10 per share for the Selby stock, and $1018.47 for the Tacoma smelting stock, and the Court is requested to authorize the acceptance of this offer. 

Came With Fremont - A.C.M. BOWEN, who, as a Sergeant of the Regular Army, crossed the plains with Fremont in 1846, and was prominently identified with the early history of San Francisco, is dead. At one time he was prominently conected (sic) with the Coast shipping trade. 

Attempted Suicide - A crazed German woman attempted to commit suicide by jumping from the Key Route ferryboat yesterday. Captain PARKER had warned the deck watch to look after her, and the men caught her before she could throw herself into the bay. 

A Ruralist Robber - George KIGATO, a resident of Fruitvale, was robbed of his watch and chain by a lone footpad at Jackson and Montgomery Streets, San Francisco, early yesterday morning.

Submitted by Betty Loose



Sacramento Union

July 9, 1905 


Managers of Gridley Establishment Getting Ready For Business.

GRIDLEY, July 8 -

G.E. CONNORS, manager of the Gridley Rochdale Company, is hard at work getting the new place of business in the Veach block into shape for occupancy. The officers of the company are as follows: President, V.P. RICHARDS; Secretary, H.A. WOODWORTH; Treasurer, E. FAGAVE; Richard CAMPBELL, T.B. CHANNON, G.D. WICKMAN, J.F. SCHAEFER, directors. 



Mrs. FRIGUERIO, who was badly burned June 10th at her home in Sutter County, died at 5 o’clock last evening from injuries received. The accident was due to starting a fire in the kitchen stove with coal oil, and the lady was badly burned, and all efforts to save her life were unsuccessful. She was of Portuguese birth, and 42 years of age. 



The forest fire which has been burning near Stanfield Hill for some days has moved over very close to Brown’s Valley, and the people of that section are fighting the flames as best they can, but with little success. The blaze could be plainly seen from the city last evening, and the air is filled with smoke. 



The young ladies of Wheatland have organized a brass band of twenty pieces and have engaged an instructor in Sacramento. The first practice was held last evening and was pronounced a decided success for a beginning. The lady band declare that they will outdo the regular masculine band. 


GRIDLEY, July 8 -

Work on the Oroville and Chico Electric Railroad will begin near here in the next thirty days.

D.J. PARKER of Los Angeles has purchased two lots on Kentucky street and is preparing to erect a two-story building to be occupied by him as a general merchandise store. 


Passing of Patrick Cotter, a Well-Known Character of Marysville.


Patrick COTTER, another old landmark of Marysville, has gone the way of all flesh after an illness of only a few days. The end came last evening at the home of Mrs. Mary MURPHY, 224 ½ C street, and was due to congestion of the brain. His demise will be regretted by many friends in this city, for the deceased was a familiar figure on the streets.

Deceased was a native of County Cork, Ireland, and was born in the year 1840. When but seven years of age he came to this country with his father. He served in the Civil War with a Connecticut regiment and at the close of the war came to California, locating after a while in Marysville.

For several years he conducted a cigar store on C street near the United States Hotel, and with the aid of a small pension lived quite comfortably. Later he became almost entirely paralyzed and with the aid of a velocipede carriage was able to travel about town. 


Camillus Nelson Has Crossed the Great Divide.

WOODLAND, July 8 -

Camillus NELSON, a pioneer settler of Yolo County, is dead at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. C.W. BUSH, in this city, from the effects of injuries received in a fall last November. Deceased was born in Kentucky, and was 83 years of age. He came to California in 1849, and had resided in Yolo County for more than fifty years. He was a veteran of the Mexican War, and took a prominent part in the development of Yolo County.  



The oil barge of the dredger Sutter is fast on a bar in the Feather River, and is in a serious predicament. Oil is being pumped into the small compartments in hopes that the barge may be floated. 

Submitted by Betty Loose


The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Monday, October 2, 1905

Page 5




OAKLAND, October 2 - Arthur E. SARGENT was shot and probably fatally wounded early Sunday morning by Policeman H.N. McCREADY while climbing over a fence trying to escape from the patrolman, who had halted him as a suspicious character.

  Sargent had escaped Saturday night at San Jose from Constable J.S. GRIDER, of Palo Alto, who had taken the young man in custody from Sam Francisco, where he was arrested Friday for the alleged theft of a bicycle.

  Sargent had filed the links of Gridley’s handcuffs apart by using a rasp, which wad found in his coat pocket afer he was shot. The locked gyves remained on his wrists. He had taken another bicycle and, after freeing his shackled wrists by separating the two manacles, ridden to Oakland.

  Even after he was shot Sargent made a desperate fight and gave three policeman a battle before he was subdued. The bullet that brought Sargent passed through the left side of his head.

  From papers and letters found on the wounded man, it was disclosed that he was formerly a student of the University of Oregon and recently an sity of California, and Stanford University.



OAKLAND, October2 - The youthful bicycle thief who was shot by a policeman at 3:30 o’clock Sunday morning was identified to-day at the Receiving Hospital by Jailer Charles CLARK and Pete WHITE, of the Alameda County Jail, as Earle A. SARGENT, who was arrested here September 1, 1904, for burglary. He was released, according to the prison records, on October 24th, of the same year, on three years’ probation.

  Although the prisoner’s wound is very dangerous, the physician who dressed it this morning found that the patient is in no worse a condition than he was when he was brought into the hospital twenty-four hours ago.


Submitted by Betty Loose


The Saturday Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

October 7, 1905

Page 6



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), October 7 - According to a story being told by John CARRIGAN and Arvin WARD, two young men of this city, they are winners in a Chinese lottery concern which holds drawings twice a day, to the tune of $625, but the Celestial who directs the affairs of the company holds that the alleged winning ticket is of an old series and of an other concern than his, and refuses to pay up.

  Carrigan and Ward state the ticket was purchased yesterday afternoon, the first named paying 15 cents and the last named 10 cents toward the price of the ticket. When they returned to the place in the evening they discovered that they had invested in a “nine spot,” which means a winning of $625 when the company sees fit to pay it.

  The young men have placed the matter in the hands of two attorneys. They claim that prominent Chinese merchants have told them that they are on the right track. Carrigan and Ward have played at the game before, and hold that they know enough of the workings of the Chinese lotteries to know a winning ticket when they see one.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), October 7 - A “shabby genteel,” who gives the name of Harry F. SMITH, who claims Chicago as his home, and who appears to have been on a protracted spree, was arrested in this city last evening on suspicion of obtaining money from the charitably inclined through misrepresentation. To those he approached he told of his desire to reach Sacramento, where work, he says, awaits him. Smith claims to be a sporting writer.


            ON SAD MISSION

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), October 7 - Mrs. C.F. METEER, of this city, was a visitor to Oroville yesterday on the sad mission of attending the funeral of her mother, Mrs. J.A. WILSON, who met death by drowning at Napa this week. Another daughter of deceased, Miss Amy WILSON, resides at Napa.


            ANSWER FILED

MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), October 7 - In the suit of N.A. ROWE vs. District Attorney BRITTAN, to recover $500, defendant has filed an answer in the Superior Court denying each and every allegation in plaintiff’s complaint asking for $150 he says is due him from Rowe for services rendered.



WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), October 7 - Mrs. Maria WELLS, of Guinda, died at the Sanitarium in this city Friday after a painful illness with stomach trouble. Deceased was a native of England, 66 years of age. She came to the United States with her parents when 14 years of age, and settled in Wisconsin. Her first husband was Preston DUSTIN, who died about nine years after the marriage, leaving one child, now Mrs. Richard HOWARD of Madison. Mrs. Dustin afterwards married H.A. WELLS. They came to Woodland thirty-three years ago, and after a year’s residence moved to western Yolo. She leaves a husband and two sons. The funeral was held to-day at 1 o’clock from the residence of the daughter, Mrs. Richard Howard, near Madison.


            BELL WILL SPEAK

COLUSA (Colusa Co.), October 7 - Former Congressman Theodore A. Bell will deliver a address of welcome at the opening of the twenty-sixth annual fair given by the Catholic women of Colusa. The fair is for the purpose of raising funds to pay off the indebtedness of the convent.



Judge Gray Renders Decision In Important Case

Holds That Plaintiff in Contest for Estate of Albert Kleisch Has No Cause for Action, as Her Claim Was Not Presented in Due Time

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), October 7 - Judge John C. GRAY has rendered a decision in a case that has attracted a great deal of attention in this county. The case is entitled Elizabeth G. STEVENSON VS. Solomon PETTIT, administrator of the estate of Albert KLEISCH, deceased.

  Kleisch died in February, 1905, and Public Administrator Pettit handled the estate and filed a final account and asked that the estate be distributed and paid into the County Treasury as there were no claims and no known heirs.

  At this point Mrs. Stevenson appeared and filed a complaint, setting forth her claim to the whole of the estate. She alleged that in March, 1904, Kleisch, who was a man of 60 years of age, came to her residence at Butte Creek House, on the Oroville and Humbug road, and took up his residence there. He represented to her that he had about $5000 in personal property, money on deposit in the Hibernia Bank, mortgages, etc. and exhibited a bank book, showing a deposit of $1550. Mrs. Stevenson alleges that after he had been there a short time he proposed to her if she would provide him a comfortable home for the balance of his life he would bequeath her all the property. She accepted the proposition and they entered into a verbal contract to that effect.

  On the 15th of February, 1905, while Kleisch was alone at the house, it was destroyed by fire, all the papers and mortgages destroyed, and he was so badly injured that he died soon after.

  Mrs. Stevenson alleged she had performed her part of the contract and asked that it be enforced and the sum of $5500 damages be paid over to her instead of into the County Treasury.

  Administrator Pettit demurred to the complaint on the ground that he, as administrator, was not a party in interest and not a proper defendant, and asked that the action be dismissed.

  Judge Gray sustained Pettit’s demurrer and ordered the case dismissed. He held that under the Statutes Mrs. Stevenson had no cause as she should have presented her claim against the estate at the time the notice to creditors was running and not have waited until a decree of distribution had been asked for.



CHICO (Butte Co.), October 7 - Mrs. Lizzie SCHOONOVER, a prominent resident of this community, died here yesterday morning as a result of an operation for appendicitis.

  Mrs. Schoonover had been ailing for some months, but not until last Sunday evening did her condition become alarming. A local physician was summoned and it was decided that an operation was necessary. Dr. George WHITE, of Sacramento, was called into consultation and aided in the operation. Mrs. Schoonover was unable, however, to stand the shock and died soon after.

  Mrs. Schoonover was a resident of Butte County for many years. She was born in Randolph County, Missouri, in 1854, and came to California in 1858. Two sons survive her. The funeral was held to-day.


            HOME DESTROYED

CHICO (Butte Co.), October 7 - A fire occurred in Chapmantown, a suburb of this city, late last night, which destroyed a one-story dwelling occupied by Mrs. MORRIS and daughter. They moved into the house only yesterday. They were attending a theatrical performance at the time and returned to find their home in ashes. Both dwelling and contents are a complete loss.



Engineer Receives Severe Fall At Redding

Fell From Second Story Window to Hard Pavement Below - His Jawbone Was Broken and Two Sets of False Teeth Were Knocked to Pieces

REDDING (Shasta Co.), October 7 - I.P. DAVIS, the engineer at the Afterthought Mine at Ingot, while in Redding to spend ten days, walked or fell out of a second-story window of the Pennsylvania House yesterday morning, striking upon the hard pavement below.

  His jawbone was shattered and the bones of this right wrist broken. Two plates of false teeth in his mouth were knocked into a thousand pieces. Davis was a little unsteady from overindulgence in liquor before the accident befell him. When picked up on the sidewalk a few minutes later he had collected his senses and was spitting blood and false teeth.

  The physicians who attended him say no serious consequences will follow if Davis will only keep his mouth shut and thus assist nature in the repair of the shattered jawbone. Davis is very voluble of speech, and the restriction of the free use of his tongue is as hard upon him as the pains and aches resulting from his broken bones and bruises.




Will Be Sent To Sutter’s Fort To Be Preserved

Was the Only Pine Tree Left Near Donner Lake, as a Mark of the Depth of Snow the Winter the Donner Party Perished.

TRUCKEE (Nevada Co.), October 7 - The only pine tree stump standing near Donner Lake left as a mark of the depth of the snow the Winter the historic Donner party perished, has been blown down. It was lodged against telephone wires which held it from the ground until the linemen with block and tackle wired it to an adjoining tree. The stump stands about thirty feet high.

  The reason the trees were cut so high from the ground was that the snow that Winter was about thirty feet deep and when members of the fatal party cut down trees for firewood, they felled the timber from the top of the snow in the same manner as if they were cutting within two feet from the ground.

  The State Land Mark Committee has made arrangements to ship this stump to Sutter’s Fort, Sacramento, to preserve it as one of the landmarks of the State. It not only marks the depth of the snow but it recalls the hardships, the sufferings, and the death of nearly every member of the Donner party. The stump is well preserved, except the sap portion. The greater part of the log is filled with pine pitch, which will preserve it through many centuries if kept dry.

  The stump has been wired to a tree where it will be kept until the State Committee orders it shipped to Sutter’s Fort.



TRUCKEE (Nevada Co.), October 7 - J. GALLAGHER, a well-known cook in this section of the Sierras, is missing. He was last seen Tuesday afternoon, when he was noticed by several workmen near the bank of Truckee River, taking off his clothes for the purpose of taking a swim. Thursday morning one of the men happened to be near the river and saw the missing man’s clothes lying on the ground. His coat, vest, hat and shoes, watch and a few pieces of coin, were found. It is now believed that he has been drowned.

  Gallagher worked all Summer as a cook in one of the woods camps for the Sierra Nevada Wood and Lumber Company. He came to Truckee two weeks ago.



TRUCKEE (Nevada Co.), October 7 - Railroad Officer CARPENTER and his assistants are gradually breaking up the gang of box-car robbers.

  The man named HOWELL, who gave the information that led to the capture of Thomas WILSON and Ray CAMPBELL, and who skipped out to save himself, was arrested in Los Angeles. He was brought back for trial and is now in jail in Nevada City.

  Howell was the selling agent for the car robbers. He disposed of several dollars’ worth of goods in this place and after having a quarrel over the division of the spoils, he told (not legible) robbers.



AUBURN ({Placer Co.), October 7 - The case of Thomas WOODS, charged with criminal assault, was closed yesterday afternoon and the jury was but ten minutes in arriving at a verdict of guilty.

  The prosecution has been a speedy one, it being just two weeks since the arrest to the date of his conviction. Judge PREWETT set no day for passing sentence, but will take the matter up later.

  The verdict gives general satisfaction, as the defendant has a bad reputation and has been looked upon generally as a dissolute character. Woods denied the charges brought against him.

  The minimum penalty for the crime of which Woods was convicted is ten years.


            DIED AT EDGEWOOD

AUBURN (Placer Co.), October 7 - T.B. GIBSON, an old resident of this community, died last night at Edgewood, his death being due to cancer. The deceased was prominent among fruit growers and had been a resident here for many years. Besides his wife, two grown sons, J.T. GIBSON and W.T. GIBSON, and a daughter survive him.



ETNA MILLS (Siskiyou Co), October 6 - A deal has been made here wherein Geo. V. GRAY & Company purchases the Lankey Bob Mine, situated in the famous Salmon River district, from Geo. SKILLEN, for $17,800, $5000 being the first payment. The new Company will sintall a two-stamp mill at once and commence extensive development work.

  If the mine proves to be as good as it appears, a much larger mill will be erected in the near future.



Upholds Findings Of Insanity Commission

Patient Was Adjudged Insane Two Years Ago, and Sent to Hospital, But Relatives Secured His Release - He Was Afterward Tried by Jury

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), October 7 - The trial of Sigmund L. WETZEL, charged with insanity, came to a close here Friday night, and the jury brought in a verdict declaring the defendant insane. The case has been on trial all week, and was heard before Judge HEAD, of Shasta County. He was committed to the State Hospital at Napa.

  This is the fourth time Wetzel has been declared insane. He was tried here on a similar charge last September before Judge Head and Drs. A.A. MILLIKEN, of Fort Jones, and G.W. DWINNELL, of Montague.

  Wetzel’s case is a peculiar one. He was declared insane by an Insanity Commission over two years ago and committed to the Napa Hospital. Relatives secured his transfer to a private asylum, and a little while after the transfer secured his discharge on a writ of habeas corpus.

  Wetzel came back to Yreka, where he had considerable property. He soon gave trouble. He was arrested on a complaint before a commission, found insane and committed. He demanded a jury trial and was acquitted. This was in July, 1903. His “vindication” made him bolder. He made threats to kill. People lived in fear of their lives. Again he was arrested and for the fourth time his sanity was investigated. On September 20th he was examined before an Insanity Commission, found insane and committed.  Again he demanded a jury trial, which he has just had, resulting as stated above.


            CASE APPEALED

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), October 7 - The case of I. Taylor BARNES, convicted in the Superior Court here on October 2d of assault with a deadly weapon, has been appealed to the Supreme Court.

Submitted by Betty Loose



The Evening Bee

Sacramento, Cal.

Monday, October 9, 1905

Page 6



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), October 9 - It will go hard with vagrants and hobos in Truckee hereafter, if they be found armed.

  Just before adjourning on Saturday, the Board of Supervisors adopted a law establishing the punishment for carrying a weapon without a permit at $500 fine or six months’ imprisonment, or both fine and imprisonment. No permits can be issued except upon a petition signed by twenty citizens and submitted to the Constable or the Sheriff.

  Constable McDOUGALD and his deputy, Gus SCHLUMPF, of Truckee, believe that the ordinance will enable them to drive the rough element out of Truckee and Meadows Lake Township.



NEVADA CITY (Nevada Co.), October 9 - Charles GALLAGHER accompanied Constable McDOUGALD back to Truckee yesterday morning to search for his brother, John GALLAGHER, a well-known young man of this city.

  John Gallagher was last seen by Robert KOPKE at Iceland last Tuesday. At the time John was naked, standing by the river. Kopke thought he was washing his clothes. It is now believed that he was out of his head and has either been drowned or has perished from exposure in the higher mountains.



GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), October 9 - Jack CLIFFORD, idol of Grass Valley boxing admirers, was put out by Willie FITZGERALD on Saturday night in the eighth round of what was to have been a twenty-round fight.

  Clifford had the better of the contest until the fifth round and in the second very nearly put Fitzgerald out, but the latter pulled himself together and in the fifth punched Clifford in the stomach, knocking him flat.

  Clifford never got over the punch and it was Fitzgerald’s fight from then on, Clifford finally going out from a right to the jaw. It was the largest house that ever attended a fight in Grass Valley.



YUBA CITY, (Sutter Co.), October 9 - Herman H. WOLFSKILL, the representative of the Earl Fruit Company who has been stationed here during the last two or three fruit seasons, is mourning the loss of his automobile. Wolfskill, who had just returned from his wedding trip, had taken his auto and gone to Winters, Yolo County, on business and to bid his parents goodby before going to Los Angeles.

  The automobile was standing under a drying shed, where Wolfskill had been fixing a puncture. He had started the machinery going, as he intended making a run to Sacramento, when all of a sudden, for some unforseen reason, the gasoline ignited and there was a sudden explosion. The force of the explosion was downward and Wolfskill thus escaped being seriously burned. A hose secured and an effort was made to put out the fire, which was fast consuming the auto, but it was fruitless.

  The drying shed soon caught fire from the automobile and was also burned. Mr. Wolfskill carried an insurance of $500.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), October 9 - The Shasta County Board of Trade is in the process of formation. It is the successor of the Redding Board of Trade, which got as far as organization last Spring and then went no further.

  When it came to appealing to the Board of Supervisors for a donation of cash for advertising purposes, that body thought the county money ought to go to a County Board of Trade. So the City Board of Trade has been allowed to die and the county organization is to take its place.

  At a largely attended meeting held last Friday night the County Board of Trade got as far as electing fifteen Trustees. They are: A.C. HALTER, C.C. BUSH, Jr., F.M. SWASEY, Allen W. ETTER, C.W. COYNE, E.P. CONNER, McCoy FITZGERALD, J.W. BRACKETT, D.N. HONN, Anton JAEGEL, L.F. BASSETT, Carl. R. BRIGGS, E.E. TODD, F.F. DUSTIN and Sam HILL. These are all from Redding. Ten more are to be elected from the county districts.

  The next step is to elect officers, which will be done this evening.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), October 9 - The announcement of the death of J.W. McDONALD, Sr., President of the City Street Improvement Company, which was made from San Francisco Saturday night, is of particular concern to the people of this city, causing as it does much conjecture as to what effect his taking away will have on the future policy of the City Street Improvement Company regarding the suit at Court between that concern and this city over alleged defects in a sewer system installed in 1904.

  The matter is at present before the Supreme Court on appeal. Judge McDANIEL, of the Superior Court, having rendered a decision for the city. It was thought by many that the latter opinion would bring about a compromise of the suit, but President McDonald wound not accede to such a stand.

  It is understood heart trouble was his undoing. McDonald was a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Civil War. He had reached his sixty-sixth year. A wife and five children survive him.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), October 9 - Ten days ago, James J. HIBBARD, now nearing the three score and ten mark, arrived here from Wallace, Idaho, and announced his intention of proceeding up the Yuba River from this point to locate a quartz ledge which he discovered when a lad of 13 - when he was a youthful “forty-niner.”

  Hibbard has made the trip and reports that, although the shifting debris in the river has buried some of the old landmarks along the bank of the stream, he had little difficulty in locating the vein, which he says has that same rich and tempting look which has kept it in his mind’s eye all the years he has been away from the Golden State.

  He left to-day for the Land Office in Sacramento to learn whether or not any person has filed on the land through which the ledge of gold runs.

  Although Hibbard has thrice wedded, and has been as many times robbed by Death of his life partner, he says he has made arrangements to approach Hymen’s shrine once more, which act will follow the proving up of his claim.


            IRVING’S TRIAL SET

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), October 9 - Seventy-five talesmen were drawn Saturday from whom twelve jurors will be drawn to try Jarratt IRVING on the charge of murder. The trial has been set for Monday, October 23d. Irving is charged with murder in having shot and killed Captain CURRAN at Cecilville, August 27th. George J. IRVING, of Burnt Ranch, Trinity County, father of the accused boy, arrived here yesterday and will remain until after the trial to give his son aid and comfort.


            C.A. BROWN DEAD

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), October 9 - Charles A. BROWN died at his residence in this city Sunday morning between 7 and 8 o’clock. He was afflicted with cancer and had been in ill health since last Fall. Deceased was a native of Lexington, Ky., almost 65 years of age. He came to California in 1853. For the last thirty-five years he was a resident of Woodland, where he was engaged in the real estate business for many years. The funeral services will be held Tuesday.



WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), October 9 - Louis PROVOST died at his residence near Knights Landing Saturday at midnight of paralysis. Deceased was a native of Canada, 72 years of age. He came to California fifty-three years ago. Mr. Provost was never married. He leaves one brother, Henry Provost, of Knights Landing. The funeral services were held to-day under the auspices of the Odd Fellows.


Page 10



Bandit Holds Up Redding-De La Mar Stage But Is Forced to Fly Without Securing Treasure

REDDING (Shasta Co.), October 9 - This morning about 11 o’clock the stage on its way from here to De La Mar was held up at Bear Valley Station by a lone highwayman, and John HASKELL, one of the best-known of the Wells-Fargo shotgun messengers, was wounded and is reported to be in a dying condition.

  There is no telephone station at Bear Valley, which is about fourteen miles from here, and three miles form the Pit River bridge. For this reason little of the details of the deplorable affair are at present known here.

  Evidently a fight took place to judge from the disconnected and excited story telephoned in to Redding by a messenger who hurried from the scene of the hold-up to the Pit River bridge, where there is a telephone station. He said Haskell was shot twice - once in the shoulder and once in the abdomen, the latter wound being serious - and asked that a doctor be sent to his aid at once. The bandit escaped, but failed to secure any plunder, according to the message. Beyond this bare outline nothing is known here at this time. Help was dispatched at once, and the town is greatly excited over the affair.

  Haskell was one of the best-known of the Wells-Fargo messengers and very popular. For a long time he was on the Weaverville route. He has said more than once that he expected to be shot in some hold-up.

  It is presumed the bandit chose to-day for his attack because of the fact that the stage carried coin for payroll of the Bully Hill Mine, to-morrow being the day set for paying off the men.

  Officers have left for the scene.



KENNETT (Shasta Co.), October 9 - To-morrow the big smelter here of the Mammoth Copper Company will be blown in and the event is expected to draw large crowds to Kennett. Officials of the Company are coming in a special car from Salt Lake City, and other distinguished guests will also be on hand.

  Tuesday was selected as the day for blowing in the smelter because it will be just a year to-morrow since the ground on which the plant stands was purchased. The contract for the smelter called for its completion with-in a year from that date.



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), October 9 - A.O. BOWEN, the alleged wife-murderer from Scott Valley, who was brought to the County Jail in safety last Wednesday, has regained his composure. He shows no signs of nervousness or realization of the seriousness of his plight. So far as outward appearances show he would be taken to be an ordinary hobo in for thirty days. He refuses absolutely to say a word about the crime.

  District Attorney LUTTRELL will take up the prosecution of the case right away. Bowen will be arraigned some day this week before Justice of the Peace W.M. THOMAS of Yreka. Bowen is without funds to employ counsel.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), October 9 - Rumors reached here this morning of a shooting or cutting scrape at an Indian camp in this section, but up to noon it was impossible to obtain any details of the occurrence. The Sheriff’s police has not been notified of any crime of the kind.

  The report is that an Indian known as “Jim Dick” was shot or stabbed. Two redskins were fighting when a third jumped in to separate them, it is said. It is presumed that the Indians were drunk, and the secrecy thrown over the affair lends to the belief that white men who sold the liquor are doing their best to hush the matter up.

  A message came from Sacramento this morning inquiring about a shooting scrape, presumable the same one, but the inquirer knew nothing of the details and was seeking information. How the report reached there is not known here.


            AFTER EVIDENCE

AUBURN (Placer Co.), October 9 - Attorney George W. HAMILTON, who is associated in the prosecution of John CASKEY, accused of having shot and robbed Fred W. VENZKE some time ago, as told in The Bee at the time, left this morning in company with Venzke for Bald Mountain to secure further evidence against the accused and select witnesses. District Attorney ROBINSON is still ill.



LODI (San Joaquin Co.), October 9 - G.J. SALEM, of Egypt, is in San Joaquin County endeavoring to induce local capital to further a scheme to grow cotton in the irrigated uplands of this county. Mr. Salem states that the great product of the Egyptians can be raised here with success. Tests made at the State University, according to Mr. Salem, show that Egyptian cotton can be raised with success in any irrigated part of California.



DUTCH FLAT (Placer Co.), October 9 - John RUNCKEL, a resident of this place, was thrown from a wagon drawn by a team of runaway horses Friday night, and when picked up was in an unconscious condition. He was badly bruised and cut about the body, and it is thought that he is suffering from internal injuries.


            REFUSES TO BITE

CARSON (Nev.), October 9 - Governor SPARKS has declined to act as one of a Commission proposed by Thomas W. LAWSON of Boston, to investigate the affairs of the various insurance companies. Governor Sparks says he has not the time to devote to Mr. Lawson’s enterprise.



VIRGINIA (Nev.), October 9  - President W.E. DEAN, of the Virginia and Gold Hill Water Company, has authorized the expenditure of $100,000 for the reconstruction of the system covering this city. The reservoirs, flumes and pipes will be overhauled and a large spillway will be built on Marlette Lake in order to safe-guard the dam against cloudbursts and Spring floods.


Submitted by Betty Loose





© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Sacramento CAGenWeb