Search billions of records on




Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1870's & 1880's | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1905  | 1906  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911 | 1912 | 1913-1915 | 1917-1920's



California County's News 1904a
California County's News 1904b
California County's News 1904c
California County's News 1904d







Sacramento Evening Bee

Tuesday, November 29, 1904



Bank Authorities Cannot Positively Prove That Money Is Theirs, and as Matter Now Stands It Belongs to the Estate of Which Young Weber Is Sole Heir - Remarkable Statement of Prisoner When Told of Find

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 26 - Yesterday was an exciting day among the people here over the discovery of the long-looked-for coin taken from the Placer County Bank.

The subject was actively discussed in all parts of the city, and while there is no absolute proof that it is the identical coin taken from the bank, in the minds of the people there is no doubt of it.

However, neither Vice-President D.W. LUBECK nor Cashier SMITH can swear positively that the money is that stolen from the bank. Their principal reason for urging that it does belong to them is the fact that $430 of the money recovered was in $5 gold pieces, $850 in tens, and $4250 in twenties. They say the money stolen from them was in like denominations.

Complications Arise

The reward of $1500 for the recovery of the money, and evidence that would convict the thief, has not yet been paid to the three men who found it. D.W. Lubeck says the reward will not be paid until the bank receives the money.

This gives rise to another complication in this sensational case. As the money was found on the Weber property, it belongs to the Weber estate. There are no marks upon it by which the bank authorities can identify it. Adolph Weber is the sole heir to the Weber estate.

Attorney Pullen for the defense has advanced the theory that the coin was buried in the barn by Julius Weber, whom he claims was a man of queer ideas.

The coin is still in the charge of Coroner Shephard.

Weber Wanted to See What He Could Do

Weber’s remark, when apprized of the fact of the coin’s discovery and that he had taken it: “The bank robbery is only a trivial matter. It’s not bothering me. It’s the other case I am thinking about. If I did take it, it was not because I needed the money, but only wanted to see what I could do,” is construed as almost an open confession of the crime.

But the same calm, unruffled demeanor characterizes the accused man, and those who have waited for him to break down will have to wait longer.

Opinion is divided on this, and those who have studied the prisoner declare that he will never show the white feather.

Be this as it may be, his health does not seem to improve, and confinement is more injurious to im than anything else.

As was first intimated in The Bee, the charge of robbery will be undoubtedly prosecuted first.

Insanity Is His Strongest Defense

Though it has been denied that Weber will acknowledge the killing of his people and plead insanity, the prosecution of the bank robbery case will prevent the plea being entered if defendant’s attorneys see fit to set it up. The insanity plea in Weber’s case would be stronger than any he can set up. Besides having two uncles afflicted with insanity, Weber is said to have fallen from a horse a few years ago, and received injuries about the head. Doubtless these points would be strongly argued to show Weber of unsound mine, if this should ever be made the base of his defense.

Crowds Gather Around Weber Premises

The Weber premises are still a point of much interest, though notices have been posted about the fences warning all parties to keep out under penalty of arrest.

Yesterday many visitors went to catch a glimpse of the spot where the bank’s money has been buried for the past six months, and which Clarence Gear unearthed on Friday, which discovery was kept form the press and public for two days.

The Bee stated on Saturday that new evidence had been discovered, as this was evident from the activity of the bank officials. The warrant of arrest was sworn to on Friday but was withheld by the Sheriff until Sunday afternoon.

News Created Sensation

The news of the arrest and the finding of the coin came almost simultaneously, and created a great sensation, though officers have been constantly searching for the money for many days.

The revolver which Eugene RODEHAVER had in the Opera House, and which slipped down between the walls of the building has been found to have no connection with the Weber case. It is a different make than the blood-stained one found in the Weber barn.

District Attorney Consults With the Attorney-General

District Attorney ROBINSON has been in communication with the Attorney-General and was in consultation with him yesterday in relation to the case.

Contest for Administration of Estate

The administration of the Weber estate came up yesterday before Judge PREWETT and application for letters was made by both John Adams, young Weber’s guardian, and Public Administrator W.A. SHEPARD. The contest will be settled on December 12th, when the matter comes up for final settlement, at which time the Court will appoint the administrator. The opinion seems to be that Adams will receive the appointment, he being the choice of Weber, who is the sole surviving heir to the estate. It is not expected that any bitter contest will grow out of the issue, but that it will be purely on legal points.

Women Ask to See Weber

There was considerable passing in and out of the jail yesterday, as workmen are busy putting new screens on the jail windows, but no visitors were allowed to see Weber. A few women from out-of-town called at the Sheriff’s office and asked permission to look at the prisoner, but the invariable rule of Sheriff Keena, allowing no visitors to see him, is still in force, and they were pleasantly declined the privilege.

Estimates of Value of Estate

Various estimates have been placed on the value of the Weber estate of from $50,000 to $75,000. As no appraisement has yet been made, and an inventory of the assets taken, it cannot be easily calculated. It seems to be the impression that the estate had no large sums of money on deposit, and consists mostly of invested securities, the value of the whole property cannot be arrived at now. The estate has property in Oakland and San Francisco. Julius Weber had loans in this county amounting to $25,000.

Attorney Pullen Has Not Withdrawn

Attorney Sam J. Pullen, one of defendant’s attorney’s, was seen yesterday with regard to the report that he had withdrawn from the case.

“There is nothing in the report,” said Mr. Pullen, “and I can’t imaging how the statement got into circulation. There was something said about my looking after the civil matters of the estate, while Mr. Tabor is looking up evidence in the criminal action, but I have in no way withdrawn from the case and don’t expect to.”

Grand Jury Takes Up Robbery Charge

The Grand Jury began its annual session to-day and the bank robbery was to have been among the first matters brought to its official notice. It has been given out that District Attorney Robinson prefers to have the indictment brought by the Grand Jury as this will dispense with a long tedious preliminary.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 29 - Several tons of supplies have arrived here for the North California Mining Company and preparations are being made for active development work on the Company’s claims. For some time teams have been kept busy hauling supplies, etc., to Big Bar and a crew of men was started to work from the point to Quincy.

Preparations are being made to take a large force of men out from Oroville to rush work on claims in Northwestern Butte and Plumas Counties. This Company owns several hundred claims in these counties, and is managed by H.H. YARD.

Few people, even in Butte or Plumas Counties, realize the magnitude or importance of the operation s of this Company, but when it is considered that Yard has in the neighborhood of 800 claims in these counties, it will be easy to understand that the Company has spent, and will continue to spend vast sums of money in order to hold its interests, which lay along the route of the proposed railroad.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 29 - Douglas S. CONE, the Tehama County capitalist, residing at Red Bluff, fractured a leg in a driving accident that occurred in this city last evening. Mr. Cone and three companions were riding into town from a visit to his mining property in Lower Springs District, driving a spirited team. It was quite dark. In the outskirts of Redding they drove upon a stump and the vehicle was upset against a power line pole on the opposite side of the road.

Mr. Cone was thrown with great force against the pole. His right leg was broken just above the knee and his head and face were badly scarred up. None of his companions were hurt. Two of then walked into Redding to secure aid. Mr. Cone was latter conveyed to a hotel and physicians reduced the fracture.



Inhuman Wretch at Alturas May Be Given a Taste of Mob Law for His Cruel Acts.

ALTURAS (Modoc Co.), November 29 - Reports reached here this evening of a disgraceful affair that happened in the town of Cedarville, in which F.G. BASSETT, a painter and paper hanger by trade, nearly killed his wife. It seems trouble has existed in that household for several years. Bassett’s wife has left him on different occasions because of his inebriated condition and abuses during these times. After each separation he would find his wife and make promises to do better if she would return to him, which he would fail to keep any length of time.

It was after one of these partings which occurred a few months ago, that he once more induced her to let him return as lord of the household. All went smoothly for two or three weeks, until two nights ago Bassett came in crazed from over-indulgence in liquor.

Upon entering the house he locked the doors and proceeded to attack his wife in the most brutal manner, knocking her down, then jumping upon her and beating her until blood was running from all parts of her head and face. He then tore the wedding ring she had worn since their marriage from her finger, bringing with it nearly all the flesh.

By this time her screams had brought assistance. Two men hearing the cries for help came to the rescue. Finding the doors locked they forced their way into the house by breaking the parlor door down. Bassett was seized and held until the Constable, who had been sent for, arrived and placed the fiend under arrest.

Assistance was given the poor woman, who had not strength enough left to raise her battered and bruised body from the floor where she had fallen. She was placed on a couch, where care and attention by friends revived her. It is feared that there may be some internal injuries, and that it will be several months before she will again be able to leave her room.

Bassett was placed in jail for the night. Yesterday morning he furnished bonds for his appearance at trial. Finding himself once more free he again loaded up with whisky during the day, returned last night to the home where he had committed the horrible deed the evening before, picked up an ax and demolished the cooking stove in the kitchen, next chopping the cupboard open and breaking all the dishes. He then threatened to kill his wif          e, which would probably have been done had not assistance intervened, landing him in jail once more.

It is said the Courts will be given a chance to deal out justice to this inhuman wretch, and if it falls short of duty, mob law will be immediately put into force, as the wife is highly esteemed and her friends are determined that such inhuman treatment shall cease.

The shock to one of the daughters has been so great as to cause serious illness. Both daughters were at home during the affair, and knowing how dangerous their father was did not dare venture to the aid of their helpless mother, but helped bring relief by calling and screaming.



DAVISVILLE (Yolo Co.), November 29 - Two young men, Henry FISHER and Ollie HOAG, engaged in an altercation at a ball last week, which may lead to serious results. According to reports, Fisher, who resides near Dixon, attended the ball bringing with him a certain young woman. This apparently was not pleasing to Hoag, of Davisville, who accosted Fisher. Some words passed between them, and Hoag landed a heavy blow on Fisher’s mouth, knocking him down, and splitting his upper lip badly. Dr. BATES dressed and stitched the wound. Fisher’s teeth not only split his lip but lacerated Hoag’s hand at the point of contact, and the hand has gradually grown worse from day to day, and now looks like a bad case of blood poisoning. Fisher came to Davisville yesterday and swore to a complaint charging Hoag with battery. Hoag was arraigned and the case set for next Thursday afternoon at 1 o’clock. Fisher also complains of his head, a result presumably of the concussion from the fall at the time he was struck.



Must Serve Time in San Quentin for Killing Farley

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 29 - Judge John C. GRAY, of the Superior Court, this morning sentenced H. WRIGHT to eight years’ imprisonment at San Quentin for the killing of Farley at Yankee Hill. Wright was convicted of manslaughter last week, and the jury recommended that the Court be lenient upon the convicted man. Wright’s attorney this morning gave notice that he will appeal the case.

This was Wright’s second trial. In the first one he was convicted, but upon appeal to the Supreme Court his attorney secured a new trial. It was generally believed that Wright would be acquitted when the second trial came up.



SUSANVILLE (Lassen Co.), November 29 - The following marriages were celebrated in Lassen County on Thanksgiving Day:

Theodore FRENCH, aged 28, to Clara JELLISON, aged 18; Harvey GRASS, aged 28, to Lottie JELLISON, aged 23; C.A. HARWOOD, aged 26, to Florence GRASS, aged 18. All were natives of Lassen County.



STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), November 29 - Thomas CLINTON, of Ripon, died this morning from the effects of a kick administered by a fractious horse yesterday afternoon .The hoofs came in contact with his head above the right eye, exposing the brain. The injured man never regained consciousness. The deceased, who leaves a wife and four children, was about 45 years of age.


Submitted by Betty Loose




Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, November 30, 1904



Smiles While Attorneys Question the Talesmen - Mrs. Snowden Gives Her Testimony - Prisoner Has Improved in Health Since His Confinement

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 20 - The principal event yesterday was the convening and organizing of the Grand Jury, and for the first time in several days Weber was brought from his cell, and taken into the presence of the jury, where his attorney, Ben P. Tabor, and District Attorney Robinson consumed a good part of the day’s session in examining the jurors as to their qualifications. Weber appeared in a bright and cheerful mood, and showed that his physical condition is improved.

  He does not seem to be at all worried about what the Grand Jury may or may not do.

            Weber Smiled While the Jurors Were Examined

 During the questioning of the jury he listened attentively, and he smiled frequently during the day. There were but few spectators present, so the prisoner was not an object of much attention for once.

  He has not, however, lost any of his self-consciousness that he is at present the most notorious personage in Placer County, and he appreciates even the stern-face scrutiny of the jurymen, who saw the accused youth yesterday for the first time.

  Judge Prewett called the Court to order a 10 o’clock.

            Objection by Attorney

 Attorney Ben P. Tabor, counsel for the defendant, made objection to the jury being impaneled, on the grounds that the proper officers of Court were not present. Judge Prewett then had the Clerk read the minutes of the previous session; and with this formality, overruled the objection, the only officer being absent at this moment was the District Attorney, whose presence is not necessary during the impanelment.

            The Jury


   The jury was organized by the selection of Robert HECTOR as foreman; J.M. NEWMAN, Secretary, and Thomas Robinson as bailiff.

  Though a long examination of the jurors was made none of those questioned were excused.

            One Juror Formed an Opinion

 In answer to the question had they formed an opinion in the case, each gave a negative answer, except Juryman E.E. Scott, of Iowa Hill. Mr. Scott had read considerable of the case, and had formed some conclusions on certain points, but was not permanently convinced of the prisoner’s guilt or innocence. Each Juror was closely interrogated as to any opinions he might have formed from what he had heard and read.

  After the jury had selected its officers, an adjournment was taken until 10 o’clock this morning, when the charges against Weber will be taken up.

  The plan to bring five indictments against Weber, does not find favor with all the Grand Jury.

  “I do not see why the county should prosecute all these, which will be a great expense to the county, when probably the first conviction will result in Weber’s receiving practically a life sentence. To then proceed and prosecute the others seems a needless expense to me,” said a jurymen yesterday before the impanelment.

            Prisoner’s Improved Condition

 Weber’s improved condition was generally remarked upon and the officers declare now that they believe he will gain in flesh, despite the fact that his imprisonment seems to have had such a depressing affect upon him at first. The prisoner is confined in one of the set of six steel cages which open into each other, and as all are open, he manages to get a little physical culture by passing to and fro between the cages. He is an enthusiast on physical development, and owing to his dyspeptic affliction very careful of his diet.  He has a specially prepared cracker which he eats besides breakfast foods, and he drinks a quart of milk daily.

            Complications in the Case

 The Weber case promises to put more legal machinery into action than any cause which has ever been before the Superior Court of this county. Aside from the five criminal charges against the prisoner, the civil suits and probate matters will remain upon the docket for many months. It is predicted that before the estate is cleared up and distributed that several more suits will arise form the litigation. The case becomes more complicated each day, and no one can see the end.

            How Were Weber’s Feet Wet?

  The theory that Weber’s shoes were wet on the night of the fire is still being discussed. The fact of the defendant having been given a dry pair of socks has excited the suspicion of the officers, as it was not shown in testimony at the preliminary.

  This latter comes under the head of the search for bloodstains, and an official last night said to the Bee correspondent:

 “There may be no significance in Adolph having his feet wet the night of the killing, as the firemen were playing the hose about the house, and streams of water were running through the yard. It would have been easy to wet one’s feet. But why no mention was made of Weber’s reported change of socks in any of the testimony, is certainly strange.

  “If there is any merit to the suspicion, it is in the theory that Weber’s shoes were bloody when he left the house, and he probably washed them off in the water tank at the brewery, where he passed on his way to town. We are going to find out more about this wet feet story.”

            Robinson Refuses to Accept Chamberlain

 Nothing further has developed in regard to the attorneys in the case, and the personnel of the counsel on both sides is still in doubt, no selections having been made.

  District Attorney Robinson has refused to accept Attorney L.L. Chamberlain as his assistant, though relatives of the deceased Webers were willing to employ him for a large fee. Attorney-General WEBB is said to be taking an active interest in the case, and it was rumored last night might be connected with the prosecution when the case is set for trial.

            Quarrelsome Prisoners Disturb Weber’s Sleep

 Last night Weber’s slumbers were broken by a quarrel between two prisoners in the main part of the jail. The men were loudly rapping for the jailer to come.

  Deputy Fulton responded and quieted the belligerents.

  Additional electric lights have been put into that portion of the jail where Weber is kept, and now brightly lighted all night . The other portions of the jail are darkened.

            Who Will Get Reward Money?

  It will be some time before the reward for the recovery of the coin is distributed, and probably not before Weber is tried on the bank robbery charge. Coroner SHEPARD, who has charge of the coin, and to whom the reward will be paid, declines to surrender it until ownership is proven.

  The counsel for Weber will make a determined fight to prove that the money belonged to Julius Weber and was put there by him before his death. This issue may grow into a large one, and will be a prominent part of the defendant’s case.

  Clarence GEAR, who found the money, and John MONAHAN and Ben Dependener have been in the employ of Coroner Shepard in the search for the money, and really have no technical claim for the reward, though the Coroner has stated that the reward will be divided among the men in a manner satisfactory to all of them.

  Gear will receive a separate reward for finding the revolver.

            Did Weber Murder Ah Yee?

  It has been suggested here that young Weber might have been the murderer of Ah Yee, a Chinaman whose head was severed from his body in the Auburn Chinatown several years ago. Ah Yee was robbed before he was murdered of a sum estimated at $1000. No clew to his murderer was ever found by the authorities.

  The story that young Weber might have committed this crime is not given much credence here, however as Weber is now only twenty years of age, and the crime was committed when he was about fourteen. The people do not believe that a boy of that age would have committed such an act.



Gold Producing Properties Show Up Well This Season

YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), November 30 - Siskiyou County mines are showing up good this season, as will be seen from the following reports from a number of properties:

 At the King Solomon a force of men is engaged in running a cross-cut from the 700-foot tunnel to tap the large body of high-grade ore that was encountered at the bottom of the shaft. In the Spring it is the intention to extend the wagon road from Black Bear to this property, thereby giving a direct outlet to the Valley.

 It is also the intention to erect a large milling plant in order that the mine may be worked on an extensive scale.

  The Mount Shasta and Sightman placer claims have been bonded to capitalists from Portland, Oregon, and it is reported that they will install a large modern hydraulic plant, running a ditch about four miles long, and work the properties on an intensive scale.

  The Salmon River Mining Company, having about 690acres of rich placer ground, is now running at full blast, and a big clean-up is expected this season.

  The Gold Dyke Mining Company has finished the erection of its buildings and the machinery is now being taken in by pack trains. It consists of two three-stamp mills, and it is thought everything will be in readiness for operation by January.

  The Cariboo Mining Company has closed down for the Winter months, but will start up again in the Spring, and will then erect a milling plant which will be run by electricity. Two veins of rich ore have been encountered and the property is a very promising one.

  The mill at the Wild Irishman group has been completed and is running on high grade ore, it being said to run about $60 per ton.



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), November 30 - An engineering crew in the employ of the Government, passed through Yreka a few days ago, on route to the Klamath River country, where an extensive and important irrigation system, which is under the United States Government control, is being projected.



WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), November 30 - Miss Bertha DRINKWATER, a young woman of the Hay Fork country, thirty miles from here, arrived here yesterday and told a story of ptomaine poisoning which is almost without equal. A few days ago she opened a jar containing corn which had been prepared for the Winter. The corn had the appearance of being spoiled, and Miss Drinkwater touched a portion of it to her tongue. Not being satisfied, she took a larger portion and immediately became convinced that it was unfit for use.

  She threw the contents of the jar out to the chickens, and in the morning forty-eight of the barnyard fowls were lying dead near the corn. Miss Drinkwater feared that she had taken too much of the poisonous substance, and started immediately for Weaverville. Before arriving here her throat became parched and swollen, and she became frightened. However, this condition had passed away , and Miss Drinkwater has returned to her home in good health.


            DID BARTH GET HIS IDEA FROM A NOVEL?                                   

While at West Branch He Read a Book Containing Plot Similar to Scheme He Tried to Work Near Keswick.

CHICO (Butte Co.), November 30 - A report has reached this city from West Branch, which, if true, may throw some light upon the case of D.V. BARTH, of this city, who is now being held by the officers of Redding pending an investigation of the case by the officials and detectives of the Railroad Company.

  The report, which is believed to be founded upon the most reliable authority, states that while working at West Branch, Barth read with much interest a novel which contained a plot similar to that which is now puzzling the officers. It is said that at the time Barth was reading the book he remarked upon the neat scheme. The book is believed to be at the present time in the hands of some of the men at West Branch, and a number of them have read it and have since heard of Barth’s experience in the north.

  The book, as is stated, contains a description of a case which corresponds in almost every detail with that which Barth reports. Dynamite was placed on the track by the man who flagged the train, and it is even said that the reward which has handed out to the villain and rescuer is pictured in glowing colors in the book.

  The sawmills and logging camps of the Sierra Lumber Company are located at West Branch, and the last log of the season was run through the mill about two weeks ago. It is understood that Barth was let out at that time. He came at once to this city and stayed but a few days, and then started north. The reports from West Branch say that Barth read the book containing the peculiar plot but a short time before he was let out. Barth has his home at 70 Seventh Street, in this city.



District Attorney Believes Him Guilty But Has Not Enough Evidence to Convict

REDDING (Shasta Co.), Nov. 30 - D.V. BARTH, who has occupied a cell in the Shasta County Jail, under a suspicion that he is the man who placed four sticks of dynamite on the Southern Pacific track, south of Keswick, last Thursday night, and then ran up the track and flagged the passenger train southbound, was released this morning upon advice of District Attorney DOZIER. The District Attorney believes Barth guilty, but says he has not enough evidence to convict.

  No charge had been placed against him and he would have been released long ago if he had had the services of an attorney to institute habeas corpus proceedings.

  Barth was under suspicion yesterday of being a man known in Placer County as Tom REED, and wanted there on a charge of robbery, but a picture of Reed, sent by Sheriff Keena of Placer County, arrived last night, and proved conclusively that Barth and Reed are two separate persons, although there is a striking resemblance between them.

  Mrs. Barth, with babe in arms, visited Barth in jail yesterday. The devotion of the woman is only surpassed by her implicit faith in her husband’s innocence.



He Is Believed to Be an Escape From Carson Penitentiary

CARSON (Nev.), November 30 - It is believed here by some people that D.V. Barth, the man from Chico who says that he saved a train at Keswick from being wrecked, is none other than one D.V. Barth who escaped from the State Prison at Carson ten years ago. The convict was a man of reckless courage, and one who delighted in sensational deeds.



SHINGLETOWN (Shasta Co.), November 30 - G. BARCOLA, an Italian employed at the plant of the Shasta Power Company, has lost the thumb of his left hand, half the index finger of the same hand and the best part of a shotgun through his inexperience with smokeless powder.

  In preparing to go out hunting, he loaded some empty shells with the smokeless, tamping it down pretty hard and overloading the shells. At the first shot the breech of his gun was torn away by the explosion and his thumb and part of the forefinger were shot off.

  The maimed Italian hurried to Cottonwood, twenty-eight miles, to get surgical attention. He could talk only Italian and no one in Cottonwood could understand his language. The physician, however, understood what was needed and sewed him up in good condition.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 30 - The locally famous heifer-calf case stopped short in the Superior Court yesterday morning soon after the opening. The jury being completed by the acceptance of the twelfth man, the District Attorney asked that the case be continued until to-day, awaiting the arrival of District Attorney DOZIER from San Francisco.

  The forty-four witnesses from Shingletown made a picnic of the day’s vacation and a merry time they had. The taking of testimony was begun on the opening of Court this morning, and now the heifer-calf case is in full swing before a crowded Court-room.



WILLOWS (Glenn Co.), November 30 - Word has been received from Denver that Arthur Earl WELBY, a resident of this county, has been appointed General Superintendent of the Rio Grande Western, to succeed Joseph H. YOUNG, resigned. The position was formerly held by Welby, but he resigned several years ago. He lived for a short time near Los Angeles, and then took up his residence in Glenn County. He bought a ranch three miles east of Willows, and erected a beautiful home which he will still keep as a country seat. Mr. Welby left yesterday to enter upon his work.



SANTA ROSA - (Sonoma Co.), November 30 - Hermann LAHMEYER, a boatswain, who recently returned to San Francisco on the ship Charlotte Hansen, severely wounded Jackson PAUL, a shipmate, by the accidental discharge of a pistol Monday afternoon. The men came here on the morning train, intending to visit Sailor Lane’s place in the Rincon Hills. En route they purchased a bottle of whisky and stopped to shoot at a mark with a revolver. The weapon was discharged while Lehmeyer was handling it carelessly, and Paul sank to the ground with a bullet in his abdomen.

  The accident happened at 5 o’clock in the afternoon, but it was 9 o’clock before Lahmeyer had covered the distance to this city and returned with County Physician Jesse. By that time the wounded man was suffering intensely.

  In his haste to reach Santa Rosa and summon assistance Lahmeyer became greatly excited. He stopped a woman driving on the road, and by his wild gesticulations frightened her terribly. The woman whipped up her horse and beat a hasty retreat from the man, believing him to be insane.



CEDARVILLE (Modoc Co.), November 30 - A saloon in this town belonging to F.L. ROBERTS was entered a few nights ago and robbed. The burglars broke open the till, but found only three or four dollars in small change. They also took two or three bottles of whisky and departed. Entrance was made through a rear window by breaking out a pane of glass, and then unbolting and raising the window. No arrests have been made, but steps are being taken that will undoubtedly lead to the discovery of the guilty persons.




RENO (Nev.), November 30 - It has been learned by the Police Department that J. GUMAND, who will soon be placed on trial at Bakersfield, California, for attempted murder, was arrested here several days before he committed the crime in California. He is a sheepherder and on his arrival in Reno he was locked up on complaint of his half-brother, who said that Gumand was threatening to kill him. He was held for a time and then released. He then went to Bakersfield where he shot and severely wounded a man.



RENO (Nev.), November 30 - Charles KNOX and Paul MOORMAN, who returned several days ago from a three weeks’ trip into the Amargosa district, eighty miles sought of Tonopah, where they secured several valuable claims, have been offered $80,000 for their property. They will probably sell. They are both in their twenties and made the trip more for an outing than in hopes of striking it rich.



RENO (Nev.), November 30 - For the first time in thirty years a train news service has been established on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, running from Reno to Carson and Virginia City, as well as on the Carson and Colorado and via the Tonopah Railway to Tonopah. During the time that the Yerringtons have been interested in the Virginia and Truckee they have refused to grant a concession for a news agency and this has necessarily kept agents off the Carson and Colorado. Recently a concession had been granted to F.W. GRAY, manager of the Gray News Company, and as a result a regular service will be put on between Reno and Tonopah.



RENO (Nev.), November 30 - Word has reached here of the death of D.D. BOWEN, formerly of Western Nevada and Eastern California, where he had large mining interests. He crossed the plains nearly fifty years ago, and made a fortune out of California and Nevada mining property. He passed the last few years of his life near Reno and only recently went to Nepil, Utah, where he died.



Submitted by Betty Loose




Sacramento Evening Bee

Friday, December 2, 1904



Inquisitorial Body Examining Many Witnesses in Weber Case - Prisoner Is Still Defiant - Identity of Discovered Coin Still Discussed.

AUBURN (Placer Co.), December 2 - It now looks as though the Grand Jury will make a more searching investigation in the Weber case than was made in the Coroner’s inquest or preliminary examination, and the witnesses are subjected to longer and closer questioning than on the other two occasions. Some of the men on the Jury know something of inquisitions, and will insist on probing to the very bottom of the evidence before drawing their conclusions. There seems to be no doubt that indictments will be brought against the prisoner. They will not be upon hear-say evidence or newspaper reports, but from the deductions made from the testimony brought before the Jury.

            Jury Examines Many Witnesses

 It was predicted that there would be as many witnesses examined before the Jury as were sworn before the two previous examinations, but from the number of witnesses waiting in the corridor of the Court House yesterday, there will be no skimming over the evidence, nor lack of testimony to enable the jurors to determine the merits of the case.

  All of the principal witnesses in the case have been in waiting and some new ones, which did not appear at either inquest or preliminary. It is stated now that the Grand Jury will probably be in session for two weeks at least, which is twice the time usually consumed by the sessions.

  While the inquisitorial body sits in secret session in the third story of the Court House, the object of its inquiry passes his time lightly in his cell in the “basement.” This is a fixed term for the jail adopted by the inmates who have dignified their quarters as far as possible by this title.

  The youth whose character seems to have infinite phases continues to be talked about. In fact, more is said now about Weber than of the crimes he is charged with. Nothing he could do or say would be surprising, as his moods are changeable, and while at times maintaining a pleasant appearance, with a smiling face, he is just as liable to grow sarcastic and defiant, as he is to protest his innocence.

            Weber Talks to Other Prisoners

 The stoical front he put up at the beginning of his trouble has all vanished and his confinement has made him talkative whenever opportunity offers. When his jailors are out, he indulges in conversation through the partition with the other prisoners. At first he would not respond to inquiries from reporters, and regarded them rather contemptuously, but he now realizes that this is the only way in which he can voice his utterances to the public, and he is pleased to see members of the press, but as the order to cease interviewing has been put on by Sheriff Keena, his repeated statements on his innocence will not be heard of much until his trial.

  The prisoner is inclined to be vain, and he thoroughly realizes now that his name has been sounded throughout the land in connection with the most inhuman act that has been recorded in the annals of crime. He is haughty in his air toward those who serve him. Last night Deputy Fulton carried the prisoner’s supper to him on a tray. Weber stood in the middle of his cell contemplating the officer as the latter was unlocking the cage door to hand in his evening meal. The prisoner holds his head very erect, and has at all times a military bearing. “Take it in there,” said Weber in an authoritative tone as he pointed to a table at the further end of the cell. Fulton stared at the prisoner a moment, set the tray down just inside the door, and walked away. He did not respond to Weber’s order.

  His Remarkable Characteristics

 Weber never answers a question he considers impertinent. He has talked more than he should. Despite the admonishings of his attorneys he has said things which have injured him, and helped to confirm the suspicions against him. He is a hard client to handle and takes unkindly to advice. He is a wonderful youth, and his character is as actively talked of today as it was when he was first arrested.

  His precious life has been almost a retired one, as he was not generally known to the people here, having a limited number of acquaintances, and he never seems to have attracted any attention only by his reticent manner and peculiar actions. While he was attended dancing parties, he has never mingled promiscuously with the crowds, and the slaying of his family was the first general notice that has been given him.

  Coroner Shepard, who is well acquainted with Weber, recently asked him it he had ever thought of the hereafter, and what he would have to answer for. Weber turned his gaze away from the officer and did not deign to answer.

            Identity of Money Still Discussed

  The discussion as to identifying the coin found by Clarance Gear as being that taken from the bank continues. The bank officials, however, are positive that it is their money, though they cannot point to any definite feature or identification.

  The discovery made that the can containing the gold had leaves and earth in it characteristic to the pace where the robber is presumed to have first hid it, and not to be found on or near the Weber property, where the discovery was made, convinces them that the coin was transplanted subsequently from Prospect Hill to the Weber barnyard.                    His Past Life

 Each day brings some new information on the prisoner’s past life that attracted attention. A young woman, who formerly knew the defendant, told The Bee’s correspondent last night of her knowledge of him. He was social and retired by turns. At one place he would be congenial and affable, seem to enjoy the society of his friends and then he would grow glum and reticent, seeming to avoid society which he had sought only a short time before. His peculiarities prevented his gaining prestige or acquaintance to any extent, but no one who knew him has ever regarded him as a criminal or having inclinations of that kind.

  Visitors from out of town are occasional callers, who desire to see the prisoner, but the orders are ironclad, and no one can be admitted into the barred precincts occupied by the distinguished defendant.

            Weber’s Relative Sorely Grieved

 Trustee E.C. SNOWDEN, who has been an active member of the City Council, has not attended the Board meeting since the tragedy of November 10th. Mr. Snowden, though but a relative to the Webers by marriage, has been sorely grieved over the fate of his friends and neighbors, and it is said he has expressed his intention of withdrawing from municipal matters on account of the tragedy, which has upset him.

  The third counsel for the defense has not been named yet, though it is confidently expected that the best talent that money can procure will defend the imprisoned heir, and that nothing will be left undone to break down the prosecution’s claims. It will be the hardest fought case that has ever been before a Court here, and the fact that the evidence is purely circumstantial will put the burden of proof on the side of The People.

Submitted by Betty Loose



© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Sacramento CAGenWeb