Search billions of records on



Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1870's & 1880's  | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1905  | 1906  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911 | 1912 | 1913-1915 | 1917-1920's



California County's News 1904a
California County's News 1904b
California County's News 1904c
California County's News 1904d







Sacramento Evening Bee

November 24, 1904



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 24 - Much to the surprise of the local public and others who have followed the proceedings in the second trial of H. Wright, charged with FARLEY’s murder at Yankee Hill, the jury this morning brought in a verdict of manslaughter, after being out forty hours. They recommended the prisoner to the mercy of the Court. It is understood that on the first ballot the jury stood seven for guilty and five for acquittal.

  The first case was appealed to the Supreme Court, and that body remanded it for a new trial, striking out some of the evidence. This is what created the impression that Wright would not be found guilty a second time. His attorney stated to-day that he would not say what action he would take in the interest of his client until the Court has passed sentence on the prisoner.



SAN FRANCISCO, November 24 - The Adams-Booth Company of Sacramento, the Nathan-Dohrmann Company of San Francisco and the Langley & Michaels Company of San Francisco yesterday petitioned the United States District Court to declare F.J. HELLEN of Tuscan Springs , Tehama County, a bankrupt. The petitioners allege that Hellen is unable to pay his just debts and that he committed an act of bankruptcy in giving E.B. WALLBRIDGE, one of his creditors, permission to sell him out as forced sale.



TRUCKEE (Nevada Co.), November 24 - J.S. Harding, a Southern Pacific lineman living at this place, was instantly killed at Prosser Creek, several miles east of here, yesterday afternoon, being run down by a freight train as he was going to Reno on his velocipede.

  The unfortunate man had just repaired some disordered wires and started east when a fast freight rounded a curve. Before he could get out of the way he was struck and ground to pieces. He leaves a wife residing here.



Railroad at Navy Yard - Notice of the formal approval of the Bureau at Washington of the recommendation made by the Ordnance Department of the Mare Island Navy Yard some time ago in regard to the construction of a railroad at the (illegible) to be operated by means of condensed air have been received and bids for the construction of the railroad will soon be advertised.


Fell on a Fence - Falling thirty feet from a window he was cleaning, in San Francisco, James ENOMOTO, a Japanese, was impaled on an iron fence. A. sharp metal picket stabbed an ugly hole in the Japanese’s right thigh. His left thigh was broken by the fall.


Killed by Electricity - Thomas SUMMERVILLE, a laborer aged 60 years, was electrocuted at one of the car houses of Union Railway Company in San Francisco, to-day. He was moving a lattice pole when he came in contact with an electric light wire. His death was almost instantaneous.


Three Horses Fell - Racing at Oakland yesterday was marked by several accidents, three horses falling. Their riders escaped serious injury. FITZPATRICK was the only one hurt. He had the mount on Ocyrohe, favorite in the last race. When running prominently a furlong from the finish, Ledatrix jumped Ocyrohe and he fell. Fitzpatrick sustained a severe cut on the scalp and was shaken up.


Killed by Thugs - Lars ULLIN, mate of the schooner Empire, was taken to the Emergency Hospital Wednesday suffering from a fractured skull and fractured ribs. Before losing consciousness Ullin said that Tuesday night he was attacked on the street by three men, one of whom knocked him down with a sandbag. He was then kicked until he lost his senses. When he recovered he found that $12 had been taken from him. He managed to reach the home of a friend and was transferred later to the hospital, where he died yesterday afternoon.


Must Stand Trial - WYMAN and REBSTOCK, the two members of the ballot-box stuffing gang in San Francisco, have exhausted all technical delays and will now have to stand trial on the merits of the case. Wyman has been brought to the point where his plea is entered, and Rebstock will plead next Saturday.


Hanged Himself - For nine days Mrs. Agnes PFEFFER, a bride of seven months, had been seeking for her husband, and yesterday she found him swinging from a limb of a big gum tree on the edge of Sutro forest, San Francisco. Pfeffer was about 45 years of age, and had lived with his wife and several daughters by a former marriage. His suicide was undoubtedly due to temporary insanity.


Miss Dolbeer’s Sanity - The affairs of society, dinners, luncheons, teas, automobile parties and golf were discussed all day yesterday in Judge COFFEY’s Court, the matter in hand being the Dolbeer will contest, and the evidence being given by a number of friends of the late heiress, Miss Bertha Dolbeer, who detailed the character of their intimacy with her. The testimony in each instance went to prove that there was not taint of insanity affecting Miss Dolbeer, and no traces evident of the attacks of depression and melancholy which Hiram JOHNSON endeavored to establish as a fact. The strongest witnesses of the day were Miss Mary JOLLIFFE, one of Miss Dolbeer’s closest friends, and Miss Grace SPRECKELS, another intimate friend.                       


Rapidly Fatal - Only twenty minutes before his death from appendicitis in Oakland yesterday, Albert Edward FORD, an eleven-year-old boy, began to complain of suffering, but before medical aid could be brought to him he had passed away. Until the time when he complained of feeling ill he had apparently been in excellent health.


Bonnheim Scholarships - The first step in the second annual Bonnheim prize contest in ethics at the University of California was closed yesterday when the Committee in charge of judging the dissertations submitted by the competing under-graduates, announced the names of the five winners as follows: William A. ANDREWS, Edward BLACKMAN, Farnham P. GRIFFITHS, William J. MUSGROVE and Herbert A. STOUT. Each of these winners, by the terms of the contest, receive a premium of $10 and is entitled to take part in the discussion on December 30 for the prize of $200. The subject for the Bonnheim contest for 1904 is “The Ethics of the Open Shop.”


Must Disgorge - According to a decision of the Supreme Court, former Mayor R.W. SNOW must return $1865.22 to the Oakland city treasury. During his incumbency as City Auditor he retained $7868.32 as fees on collections made by him on personal property taxes. Suit was begun against him, but it was found that the Statute of Limitations had operated against $6000 of the amount.


Additional Shooting - While duck hunting yesterday at San Lorenzo, William C. RUSSELL, a prominent young mining engineer of Oakland, was accidentally shot in the face by William POOLE. Poole’s gun was discharged just as Russell stepped in front of the weapon. The charge of shot struck Russell, glancing across his face, many of the pellets lodging in the chin.


Painter Falls Three Stories - J.F. HOOPER, a painter working on a building at Octavia and Jackson Streets, San Francisco, yesterday afternoon fell from the third story to the ground, receiving injuries which may terminate fatally. The accident was caused by the fender slipping from the swinging scaffold, letting the plank upon which he was standing slide to one side.


TWO Men Robbed - Footpads were at work in the vicinity of Sixth and Stevenson Streets, San Francisco, at 1 o’clock this morning. Three masked men held up and robbed two pedestrians and then made their escape without leaving a clew to their identity.


Shrimp Men Fight - The Union Shrimp Company and its rival, the San Mateo Shrimp Company, fought a pitched battle on the deep waters between Point San Pedro and Point Richmond at an early hour yesterday morning. The battle was a real one in which repeating rifles played an important part and it was only the inky blackness of the night and the poor marksmanship of the Union Shrimp Company’s Chinese patrolmen that kept the encounter from culminating in a tragedy.


Wants a Share of Money - W.C. EVANTS has begun suit at Oakland against his wife, Mrs. Mary M. Evants, to recover a share of more than $4000, which, he alleges, she has been secreting for more than fifteen years and which he has only recently discovered. The money is alleged to be the accumulated profits from the Arcata House, destroyed by fire nearly two years ago.


School Vacations - The San Francisco Board of Education has changed the terms constituting the school year, which shall consist of forty-two weeks, divided into a Fall and a Spring term of twenty-one weeks each. The important change made is in the Summer vacation, which shall begin on the first Monday after the Friday immediately preceding the Fourth of July and continue for six weeks. Vacations at Christmas of two weeks and at Easter time of two weeks are also provided for.


Geodetic Aid Wanted - The United States Civil Service Commission announces an examination at San Francisco, Marysville, Los Angeles, Fresno and Reno, December 14th for the position of aid, Coast and Geodetic Survey. There are two vacancies to be filled at $720 per annum. Age limit 18 to 25 years.


Fatally Beaten - L.M. ULIN, first mate of the schooner Ensign, was so badly beaten by a thug on Tuesday night that he expired from his injuries in less than twenty-four hours afterward. All the robber netted for his work was $11. Detectives last night arrested Robert MEEKS on suspicion of being the man who assaulted Ulin.


At Outs With Harriman - It is reported in San Francisco that I.W. HELLMAN and H.E. HUNTINGTON have disagreed over the policy of the Pacific Electric Railway and the Inter-urban Railway Companies of Los Angeles, in which they are jointly interested with E.H. HARRIMAN and that as a result Banker Hellman has joined with Harriman in placing Huntington in the minority in the control of those companies.




Believed He Will Fight to a Finish in Higher Courts - Such Defense Will Exclude Insanity Pleas - District Attorney Wants No Assistance - Bank Raises Reward For Robber

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 24, 1904 - The curtain on the first act of the Weber tragedy was rung down yesterday afternoon, when Judge Smith, as told in The Bee’s last edition yesterday, read his verdict in the preliminary examination and recited that he believed that Adolph Julius Weber was the slayer of his mother, Mary Weber, and that he be held by the Sheriff of Placer County and appear before the Superior Court and answer to the charge.

  There was but a small group of spectators in Court, when the prisoner followed by Under Sheriff May entered the Court-room. Weber walked to the center of the railed enclosure and remained standing until his attorneys were ready to take their places at the table and then sat down between them. His hair was in an unkempt condition. Te (sic) had probably just arisen from his cot before coming to the Court-room, as he has not been feeling well for the past day or two.

  The Court inquired if the counsel on both sides were ready, and District Attorney Robinson nodded an affirmative. Defendant’s counsel, Mr. Tabor, said he would be perfectly willing that the Court should take more time to look over the transcript of testimony if it so desired, as Judge Smith had said at the close of Tuesday’s session that he would like to have until Friday to render his verdict.

  The Court replied to Mr. Tabor that he was ready to decide the matter, and then read the verdict.

            Watched the Judge

 During its reading the prisoner looked steadily at Judge Smith, and a momentary change of color was the only outward sign of the crushing effect the decision must have had on him.

  Twice during the day Judge Smith received word that the prisoner wished to see him, but as a conference between the magistrate and the accused would have been very much out of order, the Judge paid no heed to the request. It was rumored that Weber desired to swear to a complaint against some one, but who could not be learned.

  After the verdict, Weber and his attorneys sat in the Court-room conversing together, but whether it was to bring a complaint and implicate some one else in the crime, or merely arranging the details of the coming trial could not be found out. Spectators waited about the corridors to catch a glimpse of young Weber on his return to the jail.

  There has not been the slightest doubt in the minds of the people that Weber would be held to appear in the Superior Court. The defendant, however, has had some hope that the insufficiency of direct evidence might cause him to be released.

            Attorneys for Trial

 Considerable speculation is just now being indulged in as to who will constitute the prosecution and defense when the case comes to trial. It has been said that young Weber will have legal reinforcements when he comes before the Superior Court, though nothing positive has come from the defense as to who it will be.

  It has also been currently talked that assistance should be employed in the prosecution of Weber and it is said that relatives of the deceased Webers are desirous that the best efforts should be made on the part of the prosecution. District Attorney Robinson, however, objects to having any attorney brought into the case without his sanction. He has declared that he would not ask the Board of Supervisors to make any provision for extra counsel in the case and that if he requested extra counsel it would be from some friend whom he would ask to go into the case as a personal favor.

  The case will not come to trial before the first of the year, and possibly as late as February or March. The probability is that it will take two weeks to try the case, and the great legal battle is looked forward to with interest.

            Weber Given Violets

 The first floral tribute to be presented to Weber was given to him by a young woman from Colfax, who was a spectator at the examination. He was presented with a bunch of violets wrapped together with a lock of the young woman’s hair. Weber adorned the lapel of his coat with the flowers. He expressed himself as pleased with the flowers but said he set no value on the lock of hair with which they were tied.

  Weber looks tired and exhausted after the long inquiry through which he has passed. It lasted night and day for a part of the time.

  There are two lines of defense which will have to be followed. The defendant will have to establish an alibi, or put in the insanity plea if it should be definitely established that he murdered his family. But as he denies emphatically any knowledge of the crime, that his first intimation that anything was wrong at his home was when he heard the fire alarm as he stood on Main Street, this latter plea is not thought to be likely.

            Insanity in Family

 While there is not at this time the least probability that insanity will form any part of his plea, those who are familiar with the affairs of the Webers say that insanity has existed in the family. Two brothers of Julius Weber are said to have been mentally afflicted. The story has also been current that Adolph fell from a horse a few years ago and received injuries about the head.

  The search of the Weber premises was continued to-day, and will be kept up for several days in quest of the coin taken from the Placer County Bank. It has always been supposed that this money was hid on a hill farther north near where the bank robber was found to have disappeared, but there seems to be a new theory that it was afterward moved, and as young Weber is under suspicion the Weber land and premises will be thoroughly turned over.

            Bank Raises Award

 In conversation with Vice-President D.W. LUBECK, of the Placer County Bank, that gentleman discussed the probability of the accused youth being the man who leaped through the bank wicket and held Assistant Cashier Edgar McFAYDEN at bay while he took the coin from the bank trays.

  “I cannot conceive,” said Mr. Lubeck, “how the report gained circulation that the bank had been repaid for this theft. It would be rather a serious matter for us and I am sorry that the story was given even momentary consideration.”

  The bank robbery has ceased to be much discussed in connection with young Weber’s troubles. To-day Vice-President Lubeck raised the reward offered from $500 to $1000.

  The following statement has been issued by the prisoner as follows:

 “To the Citizens of Auburn:

 “A most atrocious crime has been committed in our midst. As the accused I respectfully request that you suspend your judgement as to the author until I have had a chance to offer my defense and speak for myself.

  “Public opinion has been unfairly turned against me.

  To my friends, I assure you of my innocence.

  “To those who have prematurely judged against me, I point out that appearances are ofttimes deceptive.

  “Trusting your judgement will do me no injustice, I am sincerely yours,

                                                                        “ADOLPH WEBER.”

            Searching In San Francisco

 The officers continued their search for the man or men who purchased and used the pistols employed in the bank robbery and the wholesale murder of the Weber family. Sheriff Keena and Detective Reimer are now in San Francisco, but word from there this morning is to the affect that nothing of value has been discovered. It has been definitely established that Weber did not have his picture taken under an assumed name, as charged by the San Francisco papers. Other “Discoveries” reported from there simply concern young Weber’s demeanor, disposition and so on, and throw absolutely no light on the question or tell a thing new. They are merely the rehashings of trivialities already commented upon.

  Local officers are now looking for a coat Weber is said to have worn on the night of the tragedy and which is thought to be bloodstained.

Submitted by Betty Loose



Sacramento Evening Bee

Friday, November 25, 1904



Rumor Says It Has and That the Finder Kept It - Weber’s Attorneys Want Cash Bail and Change of Venue

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 25 - Has the money taken from the Placer County Bank last May and supposed to have been secreted in the hills in the western part of this city, been found by some outside party and carried away?

  For days men have been hunting for the treasure, but no sign of is has come to light. The searching party has been delving in every ravine, crevice and corner that might offer opportunity to cache the stolen gold, but up to now not the slightest sign of it has been found.

  The officers are sure it was hidden in this vicinity, and, in fact, the general impression ever since the robbery has been that the robber was still in this city and had hidden his swag close by. For weeks after the robbery people who lived on the hill where it was supposed the gold was hidden watched closely, hoping to detect the robber visiting the hiding place of the money. If, however, he did this, it was unobserved, and the whereabouts of the coin is still a mystery.

  But the many events which have transpired since then, and the thorough search that has been made, has given rise to a new suspicion - that the robber had been robbed!  That some one has accidentally stumbled on to the treasure, and decided to keep it rather than turn it over for a $500 reward, which is but a fraction of the amount the bank was robbed of, is suspected.

  Vice-President LUBECK’s raise of the reward to $1000 may bring new developments, but this is not likely if there is any merit in the suspicions that the money has been removed from its original hiding place by other parties than the bank robber.

            Few Developments

 Everything was quiet about the Court House yesterday and this morning, there being no spectators or curiosity seekers. Yesterday was the first day of rest the officers and Court officials have had since the case begun, and most of them made the most of it. It has been a long wearying strain on them. Everybody is relieved that the preliminary work of unraveling the tragedy is over.

  Sheriff Keena and Under Sheriff May have never relinquished their energies in the case since its commencement and have been highly praised by those with whom they have had to deal for the courteous treatment they have accorded to everybody, the newspaper fraternity in particular. While Sheriff Keena has been constantly searching for new clews and evidence, his subordinate, Mr. May, has assisted the District Attorney in the examination of witnesses, he himself being one of the principal witnesses to the conflagration, having carried the body of little Earl Weber in his arms from the building. The little fellow died before the arrival of the physicians, while in May’s charge.

  Judge Smith’s intimate friends are indulging in considerable levity with the Judge over the compensation he receives as the presiding magistrate at the examination. Under the County Government Act under which Placer County operates, Justices are allowed $3 fees for each suit or examination which is brought before them. Taking the time that was consumed in the Weber examination, this reduces the Judge’s per diem to about 30 cents a day. The Judge himself was the first to call attention to this fact, but is entirely good-natured about it. It is one of the many peculiar incidents that has occurred in the famous case.

  Confinement is beginning to tell on the prisoner. He has been a dyspeptic for years and deprivation of exercise and sunlight aggravates his condition. There are many who now think he will break down. It is rumored that he has made a partial confession, but little credence is placed in it. The statement that he has admitted being in the Weber home much later than he has heretofore claimed is not confirmed. If the officers have gained any new evidence of importance they have kept the news to themselves.

            Will Ask Bail

 Defendant’s attorneys will petition Judge PREWETT to admit their client to bail, this request having been denied by Justice Smith. It is not thought that this will avail much, as in cases where murder is charged, where the Court has consented to bail, it has been almost prohibitive in amount. In the present instance it is merely a speculative question whether the Court will grant the motion or not.

  While it is true that this community is strong in its sentiment against young Weber, there are those who believe him innocent. Most of Weber’s former school mates are inclined this way, though they have not expressed themselves very strongly on the subject, as the circumstances surrounding the crime are such that at this time the case is not in a condition for argument.

  Speculation on the reported change of venue which the defendant’s attorneys are said to be planning to ask for is quite general this morning, but those familiar with legal lore do not place much confidence in it being secured. They claim there is no material cause for this, and that venue is seldom changed in murder cases unless a violent demonstration or other undue evidence of prejudice has been made by the people, which is not the case in the Weber trial. Considering the enormity of the crime with which the defendant is charged, there has been but little open bitterness expressed, and the people are willing to abide by the result of the trial.



A Gridley Boy Accidentally Killed While Out Hunting with a Companion

BIGGS (Butte Co.), November 25 - Another victim to the habit of pulling a gun forward one muzzle first was sacrificed in this place yesterday.

  Willie, the 11-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. James BAYNON, whose home is on the outskirts of the city, went hunting in company with a small son of a neighboring family. The boys had occasion to climb a fence, and the Baynon boy who was carrying the gun pushed it through the fence butt first.

  He climbed over the fence and was pulling the gun toward him by the muzzle when the hammer caught the fence and the gun was discharged. The charge of shot entered the boy’s left side just below the heart and he was killed almost instantly.

  He was taken to his parents’ home and medical aid was summoned, but to no purpose.



RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), November 25 - Alva KAMPT had a portion of his right arm blown off this morning, and while it is thought he will survive the wound and the shock, he is, nevertheless, in a very serious condition.

  The accident occurred at a point about four miles west of Red Bluff. Kampt was on horseback at the time. He rode up to a wagon and reached in to draw out a gun. The muzzle was toward him and in some way the weapon was discharged with the result noted.



Strange Story Told by Man Who Flagged the Express - Placed Under Arrest While Officers Investigate.

REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 25 - Did four men plan to hold up the south-bound Oregon last night just this side of Keswick?

  In the County Jail in this place is a prisoner who is in a position to know, and he answers yes.

  But the officers do not put entire credence in the story he tells, and that is why he is in jail.

  The train was No. 15, due to arrive here at 10:45 p.m. It was headed for San Francisco and had left Keswick but a few moments when a man was seen to be flagging it with a newspaper, which he waved wildly. A stop was promptly made and the stranger asked what he meant by his actions. He didn’t look like a hobo. In fact, he was dressed very neatly and appeared intelligent. For this reason the trainmen gave more heed to what he had to say.

  He told a very strange story. While walking along the track near the Calumet cable bridge (across which, by the way, the GATES boys are said to have made their escape after holding up a train at Copley several months ago) the stranger asserted that he had been fired upon by four men, one of whom remarked in his hearing: “It’s all off now.” None of the shots hit him, strange to say, notwithstanding his proximity to his assailants.

  The shots and the remark convinced him, the stranger continued, that the men intended to rob the south-bound train, and for that reason the had hurried to flag it. He insisted that he was telling a straight story, and that attention should be paid to it. As a mater of precaution the trainmen concluded to investigate. The engine was uncoupled and run down to the point where the stranger said the men had fired upon him.

  Here were found four sticks of dynamite with caps on, but no trace could be discovered of the four men. A careful search was made of the surrounding ground, but there was nothing learned that would throw any light on the mystery. The engine was run back to the train, which then came on to this place.

  The local officers were told of the affair and after consultation it was decided to take the stranger into custody. The theory was advanced that he himself had placed the dynamite on the track with the purpose in view of warning the trainmen and thus reap a little cheap notoriety, and, perhaps, be paid a reward by the Southern Pacific for his gallant conduct.

  The prisoner gives the name of D.V. BARTH. He is about 32 years of age and is of good appearance. He talks intelligently and sticks to his strange story. The officers are much puzzled and are devoting themselves to solving the mystery.



RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), November 25 - Frank ERWIN, a clerk in a local store, was held up and robbed last night by two men. He was in the neighborhood of the depot at the time. The thieves took two pocketbooks from him. One contained $1 05 and the other nothing. The robbers took the money and threw the pocketbooks away. The money belonged to Edwin’s mother, so he is out not even one cent as a result of the hold-up. The officers have been notified and are at work on the case.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 25 - Redding will have another railroad right away. It has had a good many during the past few years. But they have all been built on paper.The newspapers have constructed lines westward to Eureka, eastward to Boise City, Idaho and Salt Lake, Utah, and electric railroads down both sides of the Sacramento River clear to San Francisco.

  WALKER, DOAK and Captain De La Mar have been made to build lines into eastern Shasta County and even an electric railroad was built - on paper - from Redding to Keswick. The only proposed railroad that was allowed to escape Redding was the Western Pacific.

  But now a real railroad is to built in fact. It won’t be a long one., but it will be a railroad. It will be less than two miles long and will be built from the sawmill of the Big Bend and Redding Lumber Company, situated on the Sacramento River east of town, to a point on the Southern Pacific Railroad below Redding.

  Of course, it will be for the shipment of lumber exclusively. In order to acquire a right to condemn property for the right of way, a Company has been organized, a charter will be secured and a real railroad built.

  The sawmill industry is a new one in Redding, the timber for the manufacture of lumber being floated down the Pit and Sacramento Rivers from the Beg Bend of the former, for a distance of sixty miles or more, as fully explained recently in The Bee.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 25 - S.C. KYES, of this city, who drives a delivery wagon for a local furniture house, had a thrilling experience last evening as the result of a runaway.

  On High Street his horse suddenly became frightened and, turning sharply about, capsized the wagon. Kyes, who was seated on the seat of the vehicle, was pinioned beneath the wagon, the edge of the seat resting on his throat and almost causing strangulation.

  Luckily, two citizens chanced to pass and they released Kyes from his perilous position and held the horse by the head until things were righted.



WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), November 25 - The Woodland High School football team defeated the team of the Chico High School in a splendid exhibition of the great game on the local High School gridiron Thursday by a score of 10 to 5.

  Much interest centered in the game as it was one of the schedule of the Sacramento Valley Interscholastic Athletic League and upon the result depended the honor of competing with the Chico Normal team for the championship on the League.

  Both teams scored a touchdown in the first half and both failed in very difficult goal kicks. In this inning Woodland had a splendid chance to score again but at the critical moment a fumble was made and it was Chico’s ball on her 20-yard line. The Northern lads then carried the ball back into neutral territory where it was when the half ended, score 5 to 5.

  Both teams went into the second half determined to win and the contest was one of the most stubbornly fought ever witnessed in this city, especially the latter part of it. Favored by good luck and some exceedingly strenuous work the local gladiators managed to carry the ball across the gridiron for a touchdown, but failed to kick the goal.

  Twice during the half Chico had the ball on Woodland’s 25 yard line, but in both instances resorted fruitlessly to place kicks, to save forfeiting the ball on downs. Chico held Woodland almost as successfully, the local team losing again and again on failures to advance the ball the necessary five yards.

  Woodland was aided in making her second touchdown by a fluke play which netted her about 20 yards, and the clever work of End SCOFFIELD, who twice at critical times secured the ball on fumbles, in both instances to the material gain of his team.

  GRAY, Woodland’s fullback, was put out of the game with a wrenched shoulder. LUDDEN, a tackle, suffered a badly sprained knee early in the game, but pluckily played it out. Several other men on both sides were temporarily out of commission and time was taken out frequently.

  The boys here are delighted with the conduct of the Chico lads on the gridiron. They are all gentlemen, and earnest but clean football players.



CHICO (Butte Co.), November 25 - In a fast game of football played on the Normal campus yesterday afternoon the team of the Oakland High School defeated the Normal team by a score of 5 to 0. The game was very closely contested and was one of the best ever seen is this city.

  The touchdown for the Oakland boys was made in the beginning of the first half. One of the visiting team escaped from the crowd and made a run of fifty-five yards across the field to the goal. The attempt to kick the goal failed.

  During the second half of the game a brother of George CHESTER, right halfback for the Chico team, rushed across the field and with his coat off made an attack on one of the Oakland players. He claimed that one of the visiting team struck his brother while he lay on the ground. The attack was made in the midst of a play and caused the greatest excitement for a short time. Chester made a stroke at the Oakland player which, however, glanced from his face and did but little damage. The attack was quickly resented and a fight was on. Several blows were struck by the two men before they were separated. Constable HINDMAN ran in and grabbed Chester and led him from the field, with the admonition that he remain away.



CHICO (Butte Co.), November 25 - Nothing new developed in the shooting case of Wednesday. The woman, Mrs. LYBECK, who is under arrest, was unable to secure bondsmen and is still in the city prison. As far as can be learned MACY has not yet returned from San Francisco.

  The prisoner will say nothing regarding the case and has given out no clue as to the cause of the shooting. It is learned that she has stated she is married and that her husband is connected in some way with the Grand Opera House in San Francisco.


            MRS. McKILNEY’S MINE

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 25 - An instrument filed in the Recorder’s office here yesterday for the Molly Stark Mining Company, discloses one of its shareholders to have been the late lamented President William McKINLEY. Mrs. McKinley is one of the present stockholders. The mine is situated at Bloomer, a couple of miles south of this city.



AUBURN (Placer Co,), November 25 - The continued warm weather here has been the cause of some extraordinary development in fruits. George CADMAN, whose fruit ranch is a few miles west of this place, shipped a box of cherries to San Francisco this week, which is an unprecedented event in fruit growing for this season of the year.



VALLEJO (Solano Co.), November 25 - Wedding bells rang merrily in Vallejo on Thanksgiving Day. Miss Theresa BOHEN, one of our most beautiful and accomplished young women, became the bride of James SLATTERY, an esteemed young business man of this city. The wedding was solemnized by the Rev. Father WETTERVILLE at noon at St. Vincent’s Church. The young couple received costly and numerous wedding gifts.

  Charles GREEN, another popular young Vallejoite, led to the altar Miss Lulu AYLING, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Ayling, the Rev. R.L. MACFARLANE performing the ceremony according to rites of the Episcopal Church.

 Receptions were held at the residences of the parents of both young brides.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 25 - Judge Gray has fixed Tuesday as the time for passing sentence on WRIGHT, convicted of manslaughter for the killing of H.C. FARLEY. The jury signed a written request asking the Judge to be lenient and it is expected this will have the effect of getting Wright off with a comparatively light sentence. The verdict, though somewhat of a surprise, meets with general approval.


Submitted by Betty Loose



Sacramento Saturday Bee

November 26, 1904



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 26 - Everybody here has settled down to the conviction that D.V. BARTH, of Chico, who at first got the credit of preventing the wrecking of the south-bound express by dynamite this side of Keswick shortly before midnight Thursday, is really the man who put the four sticks of dynamite on the rails. In other words, the whole affair was a pure fake on his part in order to get credit for a heroic rescue and probably a collection from the passengers and the gratitude of the railroad.

  Detective AHERN, of the Southern Pacific force, who arrived here last evening, is of the opinion that Barth played the part of a mock hero and he says he is at a loss to know what charge can be placed against the Chico man. He didn’t hold the train up; he tried to save it. About the only crime he committed was to delay the train. But had he failed to stop the train by his burnt-paper signal the fake would have had a serious ending, for the four sticks of dynamite were enough to completely wreck the locomotives and destroy human lives.

  Barth came to Red Bluff Tuesday evening and to Redding Wednesday morning. He put up at the Golden Eagle Hotel Wednesday. He had a small handbag that would pass for baggage and was not asked to pay in advance. He was decently clad and was genteel in manners. But Thursday morning he made his poverty known to the proprietors. He sang a song that he expected to receive money in a day or two, but the hotel proprietors told him plainly that they had heard that tune before and it wouldn’t work. This was on Thursday. He must move on.

  He walked to Keswick, five miles, in the afternoon, leaving his baggage behind him. He reached Keswick at 5 o’clock. He made several inquiries immediately on his arrival as to when the passenger train would arrive from the north. He was particular to know the exact time, and he was at the depot, which is a mile from the business part of town, half an hour before the train was due. Then he started out to Redding on foot, walking the track. He walked down as far as the Calumet bridge, and there he was held up by his imaginary bandits, and ran from them, as they fired, back up to the railroad to flag the train and prevent the “disaster.”

  He has told conflicting stories. His descriptions of the two bandits are confusing. He can’t or doesn’t keep to his text. He said the paper he burned was a San Francisco Call he purchased in Redding before leaving for Keswick. The paper proved to be an Oregon publication.

  Officers visited the scene yesterday by daylight. They could find no trace or track of bandits. Not the least sign of tracks could be found anywhere.

  His story of his meeting the bandits doesn’t wash. When they saw him they said, “It’s all off with us now,” according to Barth, a very unlikely statement to wreck a whole train and rob it. It seems unreasonable that they would have let him off so easily when the stakes they were playing were so great.

  Barth pretends to be an Odd Fellow. Perhaps he is, for he exhibited a receipt from Long Beach Lodge, No. 390, showing all dues paid to April 1905. He says he has a wife and child living at No. 70 Seventh Street, Chico. He was loth to give his name and address, but finally did so, adding that he had lived in Chico for about three weeks. Prior to that, for seven months, he had worked for the Sierra Lumber Company at West Branch as sawyer and foreman. There is now no charge resting against him, though he is still in jail.

  The prisoner was again interviewed this morning by Railroad Detective Ahern, but stuck to his story. He was told that two fishermen, honest men, lived in a cabin within 100 yards of where he said the bandits had hidden, but that they had not heard pistol or rifle firing. They were up and awake at the time and had heard the train whistle as it reached Keswick. It was so long coming that one of them suggested a possible hold-up. Barth’s reply was to intimate that the fishermen might know more than it would be wise for them to tell.

  He had $10 when he reached Redding. This he quickly lost in a poker game. He claimed to have $140 on deposit in Chico. It may be that he felt ashamed to let his wife know of his rouble here and hit upon his wild scheme as a way out of his difficulties.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 26 - George F. ATWELL, whose skull was fractured by Herbert THOMAS at Colfax in a row over cards some time ago, and whose life was for a time despaired of, became embroiled in another difficulty a few days since, and during the row caught his foot on the foot-rail in front of the bar and sustained a compound fracture of the ankle.

  Atwell has the reputation of being quarrelsome man, and his skull-crushing experience seems to have had no effect on his pugnacious tendencies.


Sacramento Evening Bee

Saturday, November 26, 1904



Officers Thought to Have Secured Strong Evidence Against Him - Speculation as to Attorneys - Prisoner Not Well

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 26 - While the charge of bank robbery against Adolph Weber has been subordinate of murder made against him, the officers have never ceased to be busy on the case. Even at the hight of the recent preliminary examination, when nothing was talked of but the assassination of the Webers, the search for evidence and circumstances surrounding the robbery of the Placer County Bank was prosecuted vigorously. Whatever additional evidence has been gathered in the case to that already known has not been given out, but it is positively believed that new facts have been secured.

  Preparations are under way for swearing to a complaint charging the bank robbery to Adolph Weber, and the arrest of the prisoner is looked for to-day. The bank officials are anxious to have the case brought to a climax. Vice-President Lubeck was in consultation with District Attorney Robinson yesterday afternoon, and it is thought that this conference is significant of the predicted arrest of young Weber on the bank robbery charge.

  The arrangement, as was explained last night, is to give the charge of bank robbery precedence over the charge of murder that now stands against the prisoner, and bring the robbery charge to trial first. The rumor of a few days ago to the effect that the bank had been settled with for the theft, has accelerated the action of the bank officials, who desire the charge to be confirmed or the defendant acquitted, and efforts will be made to get the District Attorney’s consent to have the latter case tried first.

  This will bring another preliminary examination close at hand if the expected early arrest takes place. The only evidence now against Weber as being the bank robber is the strong similarity which his hand writing bears to that on the check presented to Assistant Cashier McFadyen, which was a demand for “all the money in the Placer County Bank.”

            Points Against Weber

 McFadyen’s strong conviction that Weber was the man; the fact that he noticed the unusually large features of the robber, which are a strong characteristic of the young man toward whom suspicion now points, and the fact that Weber was seen coming from the direction where the robber sought seclusion, are the three points which have built the belief that the bank robber is none other than the beardless youth who now lies in the County Jail charged with the assassination and cremation of his kinfolk.

  If Druggist Fred STEVENS could have brought down the fleeing bank robber when he fired on him the day of the robbery, when the latter beat a hasty and successful retreat down Main Street, the bank would have been saved a loss of nearly $5000, and the Weber family might have been alive to-day. Such is the view of those who consider Adolph Weber guilty of both crimes.

  As yet the accused youth has not discussed the bank robbery and but little reference has been made to it in his presence. The only allusion made to it during Weber’s preliminary examination was when Vice-President D.W. Lubeck was on the stand and being questioned about the rumored settlement of the elder Weber with the bank.

  If the suspicion that has been against Weber as being the bank robber had not dawned upon him up to that moment, he did not show any signs of dismay or fear, but sat calmly listening to the attorneys who engaged in heated debate over admitting any of Mr. Lubeck’s testimony. If the prisoner is convicted of the robbery charge it will not be because he lacks the fortitude to face his accusers and calmly assert his innocence.

  Withal Weber’s poor physical condition he will never lose his courage. He will never break down so long as there is the faintest chance for the acquittal.

            Prisoner Not Well

   The prisoner is suffering from his chronic ailment, dyspepsia, and even the plain foods he partakes of cause him distress. Yesterday morning he ate a light breakfast, and at noon took nothing at all, as he was feeling badly. He ate sparingly last evening. His color has grown steadily paler since his incarceration, and he has lost in weight. His eyes which are naturally deep set, have a more sunken appearance, though they have lost some of their keenness of expression. His voice has the same shrill, penetrating tone which echoes through the jail as he speaks through the bars of his cage to those in charge.

  Last evening his guardian, John Adams, and one of his attorneys, Sam J. PULLEN, had quite a lengthy interview with the prisoner.

  The question of counsel is still unsettled, Ben P. Tabor, one of the defendant’s present attorneys, has been in San Francisco for several days. It is more likely that he is in communication with some of the leading legal representatives at San Francisco, with a view to going into the case for the defense, then that he is looking for evidence for his client. Though Mr. Tabor has every confidence in his client and his case, it is understood that Weber has insisted on more talent being secured in his behalf.

  It has been the desire among the friends and relatives of the deceased Webers to have L.L. CHAMBERLAIN, a well-known local criminal lawyer, associated in the management of the prosecution, but this is not likely to be accomplished, as the District Attorney is exceedingly unfriendly toward Chamberlain, and will not consent to his being associated with him. Mr. Chamberlain, however, has given those who want him to assist in the prosecution until next Monday to arrange it.

            Robinson’s Choice

 It has been rumored, also, that Geo. W. HAMILTON is the choice of the District Attorney as an assistant and that Mr. Hamilton is the only attorney here whom the District Attorney will consent to be associated with.

  The story in one of yesterday’s papers that Weber had made a partial confession is another “press dream” which found its foundation in a simple remark of the prisoner on the courses he took from his house the night of the murder. It was on this statement, however, that the general public decided he was not telling the truth of his movements previous to the fire.

  The testimony of May Clark further broke down Weber’s statement of the route he took to reach Cohn’s store. The general public did not believe it to be true, because it was not reasonable that he should remember a portion of the course he took until he reached two principal thoroughfares, and then be entirely blank as to which one he took when he reached the dry goods store.

  Attorney Sam J. Pullen,, in conversation with a Bee correspondent this morning, spoke in a general way of his visit yesterday afternoon to the prisoner.

  “Yesterday was the first time I realized what it means to a man to be in prison. Mr. Adams and I visited Adolph in his cell, and a more dreary, melancholy place it would be hard to imagine. Shut out from the sunshine of day, save a few straggling beams of light form the top of the heavily-barred windows, the place was almost dark at the time of our visit.”

  “Does Adolph seem to be cheerful?”

  “Yes,” replied Mr. Pullen, “he chatted pleasantly with us and did not seem to mind his surroundings.”

  The attorney, however, did not hint at the nature of his visit, but talked more about his impressions from inside the bars, which were rather depressing.

  Mr. Pullen left for Sacramento to-day but did not state whether of business connected with the Weber case or not.



SAN FRANCISCO, November 26 - Sheriff Keena, of Placer County, was in this city yesterday afternoon, and, in the company with the Pinkerton detective who has been detailed on the case, investigated many clews discovered during the past three or four days. While neither the Sheriff nor Assistant Superintendent REIMER would consent to talk about the matter last night, it is known that their investigations here are being confined mainly to the murder case.

  Considerable excitement was raised by the story published a day or two ago to the effect that the officials of Placer County were making diligent search for Adolph Weber’s waistcoat, which, it is stated, he wore on the night of the murders, and which was covered with bloodstains. It is probable that the officers would have hunted a long time for this piece of evidence, had it not been for the fact that their very first inquiries brought out the fact that the prisoner has not worn a waistcoat for many months past.

  It is known that since the preliminary examination before Justice E. O. SMITH was brought to a close, on Tuesday last, more evidence has been brought to light that serves to connect the boy with the crime than was shown by the witnesses placed on the stand. The exact nature of this testimony the prosecution, naturally, will not disclose, but the Auburn officials and the others who have been brought into the case are absolutely confident that if the case was brought to trial to-morrow enough actual evidence could be procured to satisfy a jury beyond a shadow of a doubt.



Northern District Members of State Federation in Annual Session

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), November 26 - The third annual Convention of the Women’s Club of the Northern District of he State Federation of Women’s Clubs was held in the parlors of the Hotel Julian, in this city, yesterday afternoon. It proved a very interesting and profitable session.

  There were delegates present representing Corning, Elk Grove, Fairoaks, the Tuesday and Kingsley Art Clubs of Sacramento, and the local Shakespeare Club.

  Mrs. George LAWS, the State President, was present and her address was one of the features of the session.

  The delegates arrived on the noon train and were at once escorted to the Hotel Julian, where a sumptuous luncheon was served in the assembly hall under the auspices of the Woodland Shakespeare Club. After a pleasant hour in social intercourse the Convention was called to order.

   Mrs. LITTLE, of Corning, was elected Vice-President unanimously, vice Mrs. W.H. LAWSON, of Berkeley, term expired.

  Mrs. Robert DEVLIN, of Sacramento, was chosen the District member of the Nominating Committee of the State Federation, and Mrs. WEINSTOCK, of Sacramento, was chosen to represent the District on the State Federation’s Credential Committee.

  The following program was rendered: Invocation, Mrs. ATKINSON; greeting, Miss C.M. BLOWERS; vocal solo, Mrs. W.H. GRANT; reports of standing Committee; address, Mrs. Geo Law SMITH, State President C.F.W.C.; “Settlement Work,” Mrs. J.J. FITZGERALD; “Sacramento Civic Work,” Mrs. H.E. WRIGHT; “Work of the Woman’s Council,” Mrs. Robt. DEVLIN, Tuesday Club, Sacramento; vocal solo, Miss PRIOR; “Civic Work in Sacramento Valley,” Mrs. W.P. CRAIG, President Woodland Improvement Club; “Yolo County History,” Miss Kate SIMMONS; reports of Club Presidents.



Father of Injured Husband Slashed Across Face

 Riley-Reynolds Elopement Bids Fair to Cause More Bloodshed at Cedarville

ALTURAS (Modoc Co.), November 26 - As an outcome of the elopement of Mrs. Roy REYNOLDS and James RILEY, at Cedarville, the story of which was fully told in The Bee last Wednesday, a serious cutting affray took place here in which the father of the wronged husband was slashed across the face by a man who resented his remarks about Riley and the disgraced woman.

  It was stated in The Bee’s former report that old Mr. Reynolds took his son’s misfortune much to heart and that he had armed himself, vowing revenge. He has discussed the affair freely and has been very bitter in his remarks. His wound is quite severe, the knife having laid open his face from his nose to his ear. He was given prompt medical assistance and no doubt will recover, notwithstanding his age.

  No arrest has so far been made and it is not thought one will be. Further trouble, however, is expected. While the elopement itself is condemned, both Riley and the woman have friends who resent the manner in which their conduct is denounced. Men have armed themselves and threats are freely made. Unless the partisans of both sides quiet down it is difficult to see how more bloodshed can be avoided.

  The whereabouts of Riley and the woman is not known. They made good their escape notwithstanding the pursuit that was instituted as soon as the injured husband learned of the elopement. It is presumed the child is still with them. Riley had little money and it is certain he and his guilty companion must stop in their flight soon in order that he can obtain work to support Mrs. Reynolds. Whether they headed for the East after striking the railroad, or turned West has not been discovered.

  The youth of the parties more immediately concerned is one of the most distressing features of the case in the opinion of many. Reynolds is 24, Riley a year younger, and the woman but 19. She had not been married very long and as far as the public knew was contented with her condition. Aside from the fact established by experience that elopements of this character rarely, if ever, turn out well, information obtainable is to the effect that Mrs. Reynolds made a might poor choice in the man she selected to run away with.



ALTURAS (Modoc Co.), November 26 - The bank of John H. BONNER at Cedarville will temporarily suspend business until the estate can be settled. The bank was operated as an individual concern by the late owner and will have to pass through the Probate Court.

  It is expected that the bank will pass into the hands of other parties as soon as a transfer can be made, as the heirs do not care to continue the business if a sale can be effected. Two or three parties are now investigating the property and location expecting to place offers of purchase on same.

  It was stated to-night that local parties have succeeded in securing promises of enough business men throughout the valley to take up all the stock that will be for sale in the new institution, if started.



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), November 26 - On Thanksgiving day, at the residence of George TEBBE, in this city, his brother, Frederick Henry Tebbe, of Etna, and Miss May LICHENS, of Oak Bar, were united in the holy bonds of matrimony. The wedding was a quiet affair, only a few intimate friends and relatives being present.

  The groom is a promising young physician of Etna, and is well known throughout the county. The bride is a beautiful and talented young woman, and for some time has been one of the leading school teachers in the county.

  The happy couple left on the afternoon train for the Southern part of the State on their honeymoon after which they will return to Etna and make their future home.

Submitted by Betty Loose



Sacramento Evening Bee

Monday, November 28, 1904




 A Would-Be Bigamist - While talking over the counter to the girl he had promised to wed, Laurence ALEXANDER, an employe of a Market Street store, was confronted Saturday evening by the woman with whom he had already gone through the marriage ceremony. As Alexander had sworn out a marriage license to enable him to marry the second time without going through the formality of divorce proceedings, his wife immediately had him arrested on a charge of perjury.


Water Board Elections - Every effort is being put forth by the Oakland City Council to comply with all the necessary preliminaries for calling a bond election at which the voters will be asked to express themselves with regard to purchasing a water plant, prior to the time when the present Council will turn over the affairs of the city to another administration.


Investigating Hazing - With the intention of punishing those responsible for his son’s injury, Albert de ROME, the father of Albert T. de ROME, who was hazed by some students of the Hopkins Art Institute, has begun an investigation of the hazing. He threatens prosecution, should his son’s injuries prove permanent.


Cab Struck By a Car - From under the wreckage of a demolished cab, with an injured horse kicking close to their heads, Mrs. M.A. BAIRD, a pretty widow, and her friend, Mrs. D.A. EASTIN, of Nevada, were rescued just after midnight Saturday after a collision with an electric car. They bear only slight injuries as a result of their experience.


Born On a Street Car - Tucked snugly away in a cot at the Central Eergency (sic)Hospital in San Francisco and engaging the combined attention of two nurses, the physician and a corpe of attendants, Baby JENNINGS last night celebrated her advent into this world with more than usual ado. Two hours before she had arrived on a Fillmore Street car while her mother was on her way to Alexander Maternity Hospital. The mother, Mrs. Annie JENNINGS, lives at 1750 McAlister Street.


Gas Causes Her Death - Mrs. Mary GILLISPIE, who resided at Sunset, was found dead in her room Saturday night from accidental gas asphyxiation. The key of the gas fixture was very defective.


Clawed By a Lion - Captain Charles HENDRICKS, lion tamer at the Chutes, had a close call yesterday. Performing his special Sunday morning stunt, he entered the cage of Sutan, and a few minutes later accidentally slipped to the floor. The watchful brute sprang on the tamer’s prostrate body at once, clawing him severely on the leg, tearing the flesh open almost to the bone. Captain Hendricks would unquestionably have been much more seriously injured had he not instantaneously drawn his revolver and fired several blank cartridges in the face of the lion. During the animal’s momentary astonishment the lion tamer crawled to the door and escaped.


They Stand By Hale - Because of the action of the University authorities in dismissing W.T. HALE, editor of the Daily Californian, from college for one year, friends of the young student editor have determined to give him a banquet in testimony of their admiration and esteem.


Debt Refunding - The refunding of the bonded debt on the Southern Pacific Railroad Company amounting to nearly $70,000,000, is in a fair way of accomplishment, and the new issue will be underwritten by Kuhn, Loeb & Co., the New York bankers, who are the financial agents and backers of the Harriman railroads. So much was intimated yesterday in San Francisco by Jacob SCHIFF, who is the largest owner in the banking house of Kuhn, Loeb & Co.


Fake Advertising - As a culmination to a series of fake stories put in circulation for the purpose of obtaining newspaper notoriety, an attempted suicide took place behind the scenes of “The Runaways” Saturday night at San Francisco. The newspapers were notified immediately, and on the arrival of the reporters a chorus girl was found in one of the dressing rooms suffering from the affects of a spoonful of listerine, which caused her to foam at the mouth, but otherwise was of no injury to her. Charles DEX, an actor, was later arrested for assaulting a newspaper photographer who had intended to take a picture behind the scenes.


Killed By a Train - Mattie JACKSON was the name of the young woman who was killed by the North Shore train at Larkspur Friday night. She had been employed at the Hotel NORDHOFF, San Francisco. The identity of her male companion at the time has not been cleared up. They had been visiting one of the arks at Larkspur.


Chinatown Improved - The Public Health Commission of California yesterday decided to ask the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to allow an additional appropriation of $1500 for sanitary work in Chinatown during December. It is claimed that the work of putting Chinatown in a sanitary condition, which was begun by cause of bubonic plague, is almost finished. According to Dr. BLUE, of the Marine Hospital Service, the cementing of basements has resulted in decreasing the amount of sickness and lowering the death rate.


Army Officer in Trouble - Captain Amos H. MARTIN, of the Fourteenth Infantry, has been ordered home from the Philippines to face charges of duplication of his pay accounts and failure to pay his debts.


Pioneer Dead - Theodore F. JEROME, a pioneer of California, 90 years of age, is dead. In spite of his advanced age he had been employed until the time of his death in the Custom House of San Francisco, serving there for many years.


A Dangerous Practice - The San Francisco Board of Health has been asked to recommend to the Supervisors an ordinance that will stop saleswomen in glove stores from using saliva on their fingers to aid them in fitting gloves to the hand. Dr. REGENSBURGER, President of the State Board of Health, is of the opinion that this is highly dangerous and suggests that all stores be compelled to furnish sponges to their help, so that they will not moisten their finger tips with their tongues, and thus carry disease.


Accidentally Shot - In San Francisco Saturday, Mrs. Lois STEVENOT was fatally wounded by the accidental discharge of a repeating rifle in the hands of her brother-in-law, Eugene J. STEVENOT, of Davisville. He “did now know it was loaded” and was “pumping” it.


Made Blind By a Wound - Pretty 17-year-old Octavia McCARTHY, who was shot and wounded near to death by her insanely jealous husband in San Francisco, has gone blind as a result of the shooting.


Miners’ Convention - There will be between 200 and 300 delegates at the annual Convention of the California Miners’ Association, to be held in San Francisco on December 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th.


In Jail With Husband - Rather that be parted from her husband, who occupies a tank in the San Francisco city prison, Mrs. Charles JACOBS Saturday night registered as a lodger at the jail and spent the night on the hard boards of a prison bunk.


Gun Exploded - While shooting at ducks from a blind in the marsh near Pinole Saturday, Dr. J.W. KEY, of San Francisco, was seriously injured by the explosion of his shotgun.


In Hospital Thirty-three Years - Andres Henry VARRATH, for thirty-three years an inmate of the German Hospital, died there Friday afternoon. He was a prominent Old Fellow, and drew from the society in sick benefits $10,000, the record sum for San Francisco.


Sacramento Evening Bee

Monday, November 28, 1904



VALLEJO (Solano Co.), November 28 - Saturday evening was a big and important one in the history of the Improved Order of Red Men in Vallejo. Warriors came from Napa, Benicia, Santa Rosa, Crockett, St. Helena, and several of the Grand Chiefs from San Francisco. The occasion was a competitive drill between Shenandoah Tribe of Pinole, and the degree team of Samoset Tribe of this city. After an interesting contest the banner, valued at $75, was won by the Vallejo degree team.



WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), November 28 - The little 3-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred JOHNSON got hold of a box of arsenic tablets Saturday and swallowed all of them. Fortunately, the fact was discovered immediately and medical aid was quickly at hand. Proper remedies were given and the life of the little one was saved.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 28 - Mrs. Hannah O. McLAUGHLIN, a pioneer resident of this city, died Saturday at the advanced age of 72. Despite her years she was a woman of striking physique and up to a few weeks ago, when she suffered a stroke of paralysis, she retained remarkably good health.

  Mrs. McLaughlin was a native of Maine. She came to this State in 1855 and to Marysville in 1863. Two daughters - Mrs. Edward CUNNINGHAM and Mrs. Frank CUNNINGHAM - a sister, Mrs. M.E. HALL, of Campbell, California, and two brothers - John DOE, of China, Maine, and Adolphus DOE, of Belfast, Maine - are the surviving relatives. The remains were laid to rest beside those of her husband in Peoria Cemetery, near Brown’s Valley, today.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 28 - Albert COOK, a stranger here, who was formerly employed at Sacramento, appropriated the valise of Frank McSHANE at one of the hotels Saturday night and was about to leave town on the Oregon Express when apprehended by Officers BECKER and SINGLE. He will answer a grand larceny charge.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 28 - John ALLEN and William LEWIS, who burglarized a room in the Dawson House on the 19th inst, were held Saturday night by Judge RAISH to answer before the Superior Court. Bonds were fixed at $1000.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 28 - Marysville Lodge of Elks will hold its annual memorial services privately this year and next Sunday evening has been announced as the time. Hon. Seth MILLINGTON, of Colusa, will deliver the eulogy and District Attorney BRITTAN of this city will be the orator.


            MAY HAVE RATE WAR

SANTA ROSA (Sonoma Co.), November 28 - Santa Rosa and Sonoma County, according to rumors which are prevalent at this time, will soon be engrossed in a railroad rate war. This morning the Petaluma and Santa Rosa Electric Railway announced a 50-cent fare to Petaluma and 20 cents to Sebastopol. This is one-third less than is charged by the California Northwestern between those points, and it is expected that the steam road will go the electric people one better and announce a further reduction between the points mentioned.



DIXON (Solano Co.), November 28 - James HILL, a prominent citizen of Dixon, died Sunday morning after a lingering illness, at the residence of his father-in-law, ex-Senator H.E. McCUNE, of this place. The deceased has been a well-known farmer of Napa, Glenn and Solano Counties for many years and of late has been retired and residing in Vallejo. He leaves a wife, one son and two daughters. The funeral took place this afternoon.



 He was Found Guilty of Murder In Second Degree

After Sentence Had Been Pronounced He Remarked That He Did Not Have a Fair Trial - Higher Value Placed on Human Life in Shasta County

REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 28 - Thomas WAYSMAN will serve fifteen years in the State penitentiary for killing Patrick PHILBIN at Keswick on July 16th last. That was the sentence pronounced by Judge HEAD in the Superior Court Saturday evening at 10:30.

  The jury had found Waysman guilty of murder in the second degree and recommended him to the mercy of the Court. In passing sentence Judge HEAD remarked that while the recommendation was not within the province of the jury, he would take it under consideration. He might have given the defendant a life sentence, but as Waysman is fifty years old, a fifteen-year term does not lack much of being good for life.

  Waysman remarked, after his sentence had been pronounced, that he had not had a fair trial. He has this idea because two important witnesses on his behalf could not be found when the trial came off, but as they had testified fully at the preliminary examination and the transcript of that testimony was read at the trial, Waysman’s case did not suffer because of their absence.

  The result of this murder trial is a further notice that human life will be respected in Shasta County and men cannot shoot down their fellows with the expectation that juries will acquit. Waysmen is the third defendant during the past two years who has set up the plea that he shot and killed because he thought a weapon was about to be drawn upon him. In each case the man killed had no weapon and in each the slayer has been found guilty of murder. The plea of self-defense is a good one in the eyes of the law, but in Shasta County it has been the fashion to conjure up that plea after human life has been taken without just provocation.


            CHARGES MAY BE PLACED AGAINST BARTH                                                         

REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 28 - D.V. BARTH, of Chico, who is accused of putting dynamite upon the railroad track near Keswick, and claiming the credit of preventing a hold-up, has not yet been released from custody, as it has been reported, but at noon to-day was still in jail at Redding.

  No charges have as yet been put against Barth, and unless charges are preferred by to-morrow, he will be released. At the present time, however, the District Attorney of Shasta County is seriously considering putting charges against him.



STOCKTON (San Joaquin Co.), November 28 - The body of the man found drowned in the San Joaquin River near Fourteen-Mile Slough has not yet been identified. The deceased was about 55 years of age, wore bow glasses, a blue suit and neck tie and on his left arm below the biceps was tatooed “W.B.”


Submitted by Betty Loose


Sacramento Evening Bee

Monday, November 28, 1904




Money Stolen From Placer County Bank Dug Up in Calf Pasture - $5500 Recovered and $825 Still Missing - When Told of Discovery Young Weber’s Actions Indicated Guilt

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 28 - The money, presumed to have been taken from the Placer County Bank in the robbery last May, has been found in the calf pasture near the barn on the WEBER property. The money was discovered last Friday by Clarence GEAR, who was searching the property for it, but the fact was kept a profound secret, and only leaked out last night.

            Stuck Pick Into Treasure

 John MOYNAHAN and Benjamin DEPENDENER were working with GEAR at the time of the discovery. The coin was buried in a lard can, and was about eighteen inches under the ground. Gear was digging with a pick, and stuck the point of his implement through the can. He knew at once by the ring of the gold that he had discovered the hidden treasure.

  He and his companions dug up the can, and found that it contained $5500 in gold coin. The coin is somewhat discolored, as it was buried in a wet portion of the pasture, and water has been running over it. The money is now in possession of Sheriff KEENS, of Placer County, and the discovery is regarded as an important link in the chain of evidence that is being closely drawn around young WEBER, who is accused of the bank robbery.

            Actions Equivalent to Confession

 While he was in his cell in the County Jail yesterday, young Weber was told of the discovery of the stolen coin on the Weber estate. While he did not acknowledge that he committed the daring robbery, his remarks and his attitude were equivalent to a partial confession.

            Lubeck Claims the Money

 D.W.  LUBECK, the bank’s Vice-President, who offered the reward of $1000 for the return of the money, and $500 for information that would convict the robber, says he believes the money found was that stolen from the bank. He says the money stolen from the bank was mostly in $20 gold pieces, and that found by Gear is of twenties also. He says the exact amount of money stolen from the bank is $6365, and that $825 is still missing.

  The Grand Jury meets to-morrow and the District Attorney will take the matter before it, and ask that young Weber be indicted on the robbery charge.

            Bank Checks Also Found

    In addition to the discovery of the money, another piece of important evidence has been discovered by some small boys. Near the Auburn ravine, where the bank robber jumped into his cart, two checks were found, which the bank officials say were stolen when the bank was robbed.

            Contest Over Estate

 The contest for the control of the administration of the estates of Julius WEBER and Mrs. Mary WEBER will begin in Judge PREWETT’s Court to-morrow morning. Public Administrator SHEPARD has filed papers of contest. The right of John ADAMS, the prisoner’s guardian, to act as administrator has been questioned. Shepard has also applied for letters of administration of the estates left by Bertha and little Earl.

  The Weber estate is worth about $60,000. Young Weber is well supplied with money, and has $1900 in the bank, which he cannot draw until next October.

            Snowden’s Hire Attorney

 Attorney L.L. CHAMBERLAIN has been employed by the SNOWDENs to assist in the prosecution. Whether or not this will be agreeable to the District Attorney cannot be stated at this time.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 28 - By what route did Adolph WEBER reach COHN’s store on the night of November 10th when he purchased the pants to replace his old ones which he claimed he tore on a fire hydrant as he was passing along the first route he says he took while on a constitutional spin for exercise as had been his habit? This question becomes more enigmatical as the Weber investigation silently proceeds.

  The situation has grown calmer and no excitement is displayed by the citizens in discussing the fratricide. It is now eighteen days since the occurrence of the horror that has startled the whole world by its fiendish atrociousness, and the many mysterious phases the case has presented since the investigation begun has kept it a constant problem which each citizen has bent his mental energy to solve.

  While the actors in the Weber tragedy have temporarily left the stage the plot continues to thicken, and almost any development would not bring surprise.

            His Story Doubted

 From the moment Weber made this first statement and detailed the route he traveled from the Weber home to Cohn’s store, the public doubted his story. The people reasoned that it was not possible for a man (even in an excited and distracted state of mind, which the prisoner was not, if he had no knowledge of the crime) to be unable to state definitely which street he had taken to reach the store as Weber claimed in his first statement to be unable to do.

  The route he claims to have taken to reach High Street is one hundred yards from the point where he was seen by May CLARK going in an entirely different direction. With the first mentioned uncertainty as to how he finished his route and a flat contradiction as to its beginning, the defendant’s story has lost evidence and the mooted question now is what route did Adolph Weber really take when he left home, either to take his evening exercise, as he claims, or to flee from the fiendish work that is charged against him?

  No one seems to have seen the defendant before he reached Cohn’s store. Witnesses saw him afterward. He entered the north door of the store.

            Shoes Said to Have Been Wet

 During the examination it did not appear that there was anything unusual in the appearance of the defendants’ shoes or socks on the night of the fire.

  Yesterday the officers were informed that Weber, on the night of the fire, was given a pair of socks in exchange for his own, which are said to have been wet.

  This information has given rise to a new theory as to how Weber reached Cohn’s store on the fatal night. A tributary to Auburn ravine flows along Brewery lane, the place where the Clark woman claims to have seen Weber. The stream, though carrying a small amount of water, has a bed varying in depth from four to five feet. The course of the creek as it leaves Brewery lane leads under several store buildings on Main Street, and on to the west. Most of these buildings under which the stream runs are in what are commonly called the “center blocks,” at the end of which the Cohn store is situated.

            The New Theory

 The new theory is that the accused, on coming out of Brewery lane, and in order to avoid meeting any one, entered the creek where it passed under the first buildings at the end of the lane, and made his way along the subterranean passage under the buildings along Main Street until he came to Cohn’s store. Here the building is so arranged that easy egress could be made on the street without being noticed. It is also suggested that it was while passing through this dark subway the defendant’s pants were torn, instead of on the fire hydrant, which he claims.

            Boards Were Removed

 The accused man could have made another exit from the creek at the rear of J.A. PREDOM’s printing office. There is a slight cave in the ravine bank next to Predom’s sidewalk on Washington Street, over which two boards had been laid to prevent any one passing along there from stepping into the hole caused by the cave. These boards were found to have been partially removed the day after the fire, though the fact was not then thought to be a significant one. If this latest theory is correct, Weber may have slipped out from the ravine by the last-mentioned way, or from underneath the rear of Cohn’s store.

  May Clark’s testimony that Weber passed her house going toward town at 6:45 and Joseph GOLDBERG’s statement that he entered the Cohn store at 6:55 would have given him ten minutes to cover the distance by the ravine route, which is just about the time the underground course would have taken, and excluded any one meeting him on the street coming from the direction of his home, which was undoubtedly the intention.

            Weber’s Actions at Snowden Home

 Weber’s suspicious actions at the Snowden home when Under Sheriff MAY left the premises and went to the Weber property the day after the fire, are the late discussions. The officer suspicioned that Weber would be eager to watch his movements after he left. Weber’s movements were closely watched after May’s departure, and the accused man went in to an upstairs room, where he was discovered looking intently out of a window observing the officer’s movements.

            Thinks Prisoner Will Break Down

  Deputy District Attorney LOWELL is confident that the prisoner will break down before long.

  “In my opinion,” he said, “sixty days’ imprisonment will make a mental and physical wreck of the defendant. It does not matter whether he be abnormal or not, he cannot stand the strain under which he is laboring very long. The actions of the prisoner now show that he is weakening.”

  This opinion is shared by many who believe the prisoner’‘s adamantine character toward his accusers to be softening.

            Warrant Formally Served

 The warrant for Weber’s arrest as the robber of the Placer County Bank has been issued for several days, but was not served until yesterday afternoon. As stated in Saturday’s Bee, it was expected to serve it Saturday, but for some reason Sheriff KEENA withheld it until yesterday afternoon, when he entered the prisoner’s cell and read the complaint, which was sworn to by A.L. SMITH, the bank’s cashier. The formality of the arrest was done very quietly, and but a few were aware of it.

            His Defiant Air

 Weber received the news in the usual manner he has met all the accusations, and the arrest was uneventful. After the warrant had been read to the accused he turned away and walked to the other side of his cell, his head in the air and defiant.

  Visitors and interviewers have been positively prohibited from seeing the prisoner, and only those who are in authority are permitted to converse with him. Weber knows nothing of press reports as the newspapers have been kept from him.

            Robbery Charge Will Be Tried First

 The arrest on the charge of robbery will for a time set aside the charge of murder, as it is said to be the intention of the District Attorney, as stated in Saturday’s Bee, to have the charge of robbery tried first. The bank officials are anxious to prosecute, and bring the matter to an end.


Submitted by Betty Loose





© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Sacramento CAGenWeb