Search billions of records on



Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1870's & 1880's  | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1905  | 1906  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911 | 1912 | 1913-1915 | 1917-1920's



California County's News 1904a
California County's News 1904b
California County's News 1904c
California County's News 1904d







Sacramento Saturday Bee

November 19, 1904



District Attorney Especially Condemned - His Row With Sheriff Over Slot Machines.

Mrs. Snowden Testifies Again - Bank Robbery Compromise.

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 18 - The shameful scene of yesterday afternoon in which District Attorney Kelly ROBINSON and Attorney Ben TABOR were the principals was the talk of the town last night and this morning. It is the sentiment of the people that such conduct should never have been allowed and that the Court should have punished those guilty of the disturbance in a severe manner.

  But much more censure attaches to the District Attorney than to Tabor. From the beginning of this case he has shown a disposition to override all with whom he comes in contact, evidently not appreciating the responsibility that rests upon him in this very important preliminary hearing. While little or no doubt exists in the minds of the people as to young Weber’s guilt, that in itself, no matter how deep, is not sufficient to punish him. Evidence is needed to convict the prisoner. And although Mr. Robinson himself stated at the opening of the hearing that he relied upon circumstantial evidence alone to bring about the binding over of Adolph Weber to the Superior Court, the course he has pursued has been anything but a help to a prosecution as weak as he has admitted his side to be.

  The fact is that the District Attorney should be assisted by eminent legal talent. Even if he were better qualified to conduct the case than he has shown himself to be, the affair is important enough to justify the taking of every precaution to the end that the fiend guilty of the wholesale slaughter of the Weber family shall be brought to justice. The Governor and the Attorney-General will be appealed to.

  The Bee’s regular Auburn correspondent yesterday afternoon wired in a brief account of the disgraceful quarrel between the angry attorneys, and this morning follows with an account of the affair in detail. It will repay reading, and not only will cause the lawyers to be condemned for their conduct, but will produce the impression that Justice Smith is lacking in firmness. The manner in which he passed over the flagrant outburst was not creditable to his Court.

            Slot Machine Quarrel

 Sheriff Keena and the District Attorney are also on bad terms. It will be remembered by readers of The Bee that they came together in a wordy war several months ago following a publication in this paper of in interview by Mr. Robinson’s assistant in which it was stated as coming form the District Attorney’s office that the Sheriff had utterly failed to do his duty in the matter of suppressing slot-machine gambling. It was said in the interview in question that Mr. Robinson had notified the Sheriff by letter as to the law governing the case, but the Sheriff angrily denied that he had ever received such a letter. Thereupon the District Attorney again notified him, this time making use of a messenger in order that there could be no denial. Incidentally, it might be observed that the Sheriff soon after issued a notice ordering that the slot machines be put out of commission.

  Mrs. E. C. Snowden was on the stand this morning. She told nothing new, reaffirming her former statements regarding the fear in which young Weber’s mother had held him and of the threat he had made to the witness that her turn would come next. It looked for a time this morning as if the hearing would be continued until Monday or Tuesday, but it finally was decided to go on with it this afternoon. Nothing of interest was brought out this morning at all. It is hard to say when the hearing will be finally concluded. The District Attorney does not seem to know himself, or to have much of an idea as to the number of witnesses he proposes to call.

  While The Bee probably was the first paper to publish the story that Julius Weber was reported to have settled with the bank of Placer County for the alleged robbery of that institution by his son, Adolph, the story had been whispered around among the more intimate friends of the family and some of its relatives for some time.

  It first came to The Bee from an individual who has not resided in Auburn in many years, but it is no more surprising that he had heard the rumor than that it was talked of in St. Louis among Placer County people several weeks ago. Indeed, the first news came to more than one resident of Auburn by mail from the Exposition City.

  While the general opinion is that there is no truth in the report, yet it certainly is strange how it could have originated without some basis in fact. One theory is that young Weber’s family finally discovered that he had committed the crime and that this knowledge, together with the desire of his father to right the wrong, became known to friends of the family, and as the story was whispered and re-whispered, it gradually changed form until it reached the dimensions with which the public became acquainted with it.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 19 - Contrary to expectations, the preliminary examination was not completed yesterday. There are yet several witnesses to be heard. The case is becoming irksome and the officials are weary of the heavy labors that have been put upon them this week, and everybody is wishing for the end. The morning session was uneventful, and was taken up in examining witnesses on those points which have already been thoroughly chronicled in The Bee.

  The defendant’s statement that he assisted in rescuing his little brother from the flames has not been verified by a single witness, as no one saw him with the child in his arms, and those who took the little boy out of the house did not see Weber during the time the chid was being taken out. The story of a long line of witnesses has been told, and are identical on this point.

  Weber continues his easy manner in the Court-room. He has an almost military step, and walks very erect. There is not the slightest bit of boyishness in his manner, his bearing being calm and dignified, and very unusual in one of his years. His clear complexion and strong features give his countenance an individuality that would be noticeable anywhere. He moves his thin lips almost constantly, and gazes in an absorbed manner out of the window next to him, as if carefully weighing each part of the proceedings.

 Yesterday he seemed to be not feeling as well as usual, and a trifle paler, though he smiled pleasantly to those who addressed him during the recesses. Now and then he will turn and look over the crowd of spectators back of him, but not often. He does not seem to realize the attention he attracts, and rarely notices the crowds in the corridors who stop to get a close view of him. Under Sheriff May is his constant companion when he is out of the cell, and he seems more kindly disposed toward him than to any of the other officials. Yesterday he was in rather a cynical frame of mind and did not show any signs of affability, mild as this quality is in him. Under Sheriff May misplaced his hat and could not find it as he started to leave the Court-room.

            Weber and His Keeper

   “Adolph, did you notice whether I wore my hat up from the office this afternoon?” said Mr. May pleasantly.

  “No; I did not. I am not noticing you,” said the prisoner, icily.

  “Well, now, I’ll be fairer than that with you,” said Mr. May, “I did notice that you did not wear your hat up.”

  Adolph looked at his custodian with a cynical smile and replied pointedly:

  “I presume you had more occasion to notice me than I had to observe you.”

  The prisoner’s guardian has given orders to have Adolph’s wants in every reasonable way supplied. He does not eat the same fare that the other prisoners do, being dyspeptic. His meals are of a more dainty character.

  The assertion is still made by some that Weber will weaken and confess to the killing. But while he is not a strong man physically the determined lines about his mouth and the unflinching expression of his eyes do not denote weakness. If he is guilty there is not likely to be any change in his demeanor, as he has not shown the slightest sign that he feared the consequences of the grave charge against him. There are not any ardent admirers of the young man in the large audiences which have daily visited the preliminary. The faces if the people are stern and they are closely watching the evidence which the attorneys are trying to thrash out of the great mass of tiresome details, which have been repeated over and over.

  Mrs. Fred RECHENMACHER, a neighbor of the Weber family, was on the stand yesterday afternoon and testified that she heard Bertha Weber playing on her piano between 6:30 and 6:45 the night the tragedy took place. Robert J. HANCOCK, a hardware merchant, was among the many witnesses yesterday.

  The testimony of the three Miss WILLS - Theo, Nellie and Margaret - showed the remark made by Weber that he was going away to have been a most natural one, and to which no significance or suspicion might be attached. Miss Nell Wills did not have very much conversation with the defendant the night of the fire. The Wills family avoided the subject of the death of the Weber family before Adolph, as they wished to keep him in as calm a state of mind as possible. Witness did not notice any bloodstains in the bed occupied by the defendant.

  Miss Theo Wills described the events at her home at the time mentioned, the same as did the other members of her family. She had heard defendant say that he knew his little brother was all right as he rescued him from the fire. The “going away” remark made by defendant to witness, and concerning which considerable comment has been made, was in reference to defendant going to San Francisco to attend the funeral of his family, which had been his intention. He afterwards refused to do, as he would have to be accompanied by an officer. Margaret Wills corroborated the testimony of here sisters.

            Attorneys Quarrel

 At the beginning of the afternoon examination, D.W. LUBECK, Vice-President of the Placer County Bank, was called to the witness stand, as told in yesterday’s Bee, to testify to the effect that the bank had been reimbursed for the robbery, which is attributed to Adolph Weber. Mr. Lubeck’s testimony was but brief, but it became the foundation of an assault between District Attorney Robinson and Attorney Ben P. Tabor, counsel for the defendant, as told briefly in yesterday’s Bee.

  “Mr. Lubeck, did Julius Weber ever approach the officials of your bank and offer to refund any sum taken from the bank at the time of the robbery?” asked the District Attorney.

  The defendant’s counsel motioned the witness to reserve his answer, and then made objection to the question.

  “We are not objecting to Mr. Lubeck’s answer only on the grounds of its utter incompetency, whatever it might be,” he said. “The case of bank robbery is not before this Court, and even if the witness should answer in the affirmative it would not prove anything in the present case. Because Julius Weber might make such an offer to the bank would not be evidence that Adolph Weber killed his family.”

  The District Attorney and defendant’s counsel then engaged in a warm discussion of the case, and the Court finally overruled the objection.

  The Court Reporter repeated the question and Mr. Lubeck answered that Julius Weber had never made such a proposal.

  After the witness left the stand the attorneys continued to be caustic and sarcastic, the District Attorney defending his position warmly. The Court remarked that he was not familiar with the prosecuting officer’s theory, but presumed the District Attorney had some object in placing Mr. Lubeck on the stand.

            Tabor Resents Charge

 “I am in the same position of Your Honor and can’t comprehend Mr. Robinson’s rainbow theories,” said Tabor.

  This remark did not quiet the troubled waters and was met with vehemence from Robinson.

  “We are not called upon,: said Mr. Tabor, “to investigate rumors and newspaper reports about the bank.”

  “And circulated by the attorney of the defendant!” cried Robinson, glaring at his opponent.

  Both men were now thoroughly aroused. White with anger they looked menacingly at one another.

  “I want to say to the Court that those words of the District Attorney are absolutely and unqualifiedly false,” declared Tabor, as he sat down.

  Mr. Robinson approached his opponent and while speaking placed his hand upon Tabor’s shoulder.

  “Take your hands off me,” said Tabor springing to his feet, and the two men came together. No blows were struck, but only because of the timely interference of Under Sheriff May and others sitting near the angered lawyers.

  “Now sit down, gentlemen, or I will arrest you both,” said May, as the two men were being pushed away from each other.

  After a short time Justice Smith managed to make his raps for order heard, and the indignant lawyers resumed their seats. The occurrence caused great commotion for a moment. The Court-room was crowded, there being many women present when the scene took place.

  Justice Smith did not lose his temper or impose any fines for contempt. His usual affable countenance became somewhat stern as he said:

 “Now, gentlemen, let’s get down to business and omit these bickerings in the future.”

  The case then proceeded and was uneventful. The large attendance has held up, and the percentage of women has been greater than at any previous criminal action tried in this Court.

  The preliminary is likely to be finished to-day, though the District Attorney could not state so definitely.

            Blood On the Clothing

 Dr. J.F. WHITE, who made an examination of the remnants of Weber’s pants in search of blood stains has not given his evidence yet, and considerable interest is manifested in what the report of his investigation will be.

  Word was received here last night to the effect that Dr. H.A. L. RYFKOGEL, of San Francisco, had found blood on the pieces of cloth left with him for examination. He will make other tests, however, to confirm his conclusions.

  There is not the slightest doubt but that Weber will have to answer before the Superior Court, and it is probable that the case will be set for some time about the first of the year.

  From the principal streets here the Weber home was plainly visible on its western eminence, but a desolate blackened spot, surrounded by a white fence, is the dismal picture that now stands in place of the cone pretty domicile. Scorched and browned shrubs and trees supplant the flowers and foliage with which the home of the murdered Webers was surrounded.

  The house and its surrounding fence were of a pure white color and it attracted more attention than any residence in the western part of the city, for its neat and picturesque appearance and its natural advantage of view. Sitting on the crest of the high green hills which are the boundary of the western portion of Auburn, and away from other habitations it stood as a haven for its inmates as well as an attractive feature which was much admired. It will never be rebuilt.

  The only living thing of the Weber home that survives besides the son, who is now charged with its destruction, is the family cow. The poor beast was frantic with fright on the fatal night, and it was not until next day that she was secured by neighbors.

  Rumors have not ceased, and each day new stories gain circulation, and are passed along with astonishing rapidity. The rumor of the Placer County Bank having compromised the robbery does not find any credence. The first reports traveled over this city in less than an hour, and numerous inquiries were made. Newspaper men besieged the bank officials for information, and it was the man topic of the day.

  Yesterday a report was in circulation to the effect that threatening anonymous letters had been received by some of those who are interested in the prosecution of Weber. It is thought that these came from cranks, who had no personal interest or knowledge of the parties concerned.


Sacramento Saturday Bee

November 19, 1904




MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 19 - F.M. KNOX, for a long time City Gardener, died yesterday, aged 63 years. He was for ten years in the employ of the Levee Commissioners. A son and four daughters survive him. He was married the second time.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 19 - The Government of the United States is to take a hand in the persecution of H.W. MILLER and W.H. BOREN, the two men who were arrested here Monday on the charge of getting money under false pretenses in connection with locating people on timber lands for a mythical Seattle corporation. The offense was one against the State law, although the warrant was sworn to by a special agent of the General Land Office.

  Nothing has been done in the way of prosecution, for representatives of the offices of the United States District Attorney and United States Marshal in Oregon have asked that the matter be deferred until they can arrive and present graver charges arising from the dealing of Boren and Miller in that State, where the two are said to have been guilty of subornation of perjury in connection with fraudulently obtaining land from the United States. They worked their scheme more nearly to a finish at Roseburg than they were able to do in Redding, where their cleverly laid plans were nipped in the bud by the special agent of the General Land office.

  The Oregon officials arrived this morning and are to-day in consultation with the District Attorney and Special Agent HOUSTON.



BENICIA (Solano Co.), November 19 - A carload of the Bull’s Head Oil Works’ coke has been shipped form East Martinez to San Francisco and sold to a firm who made bids on the whole future output. But the Mountain Copper Smelter Company, which is to move from Keswick, had first call and will take all the coke, giving the Oil Company a good price.

  There are many other by-products which in course of time will be put on the market. Already they produce terrene linseed oil and turpentine. Asphaltum is another by-product which the Company is introducing.



DE LA MAR (Shasta Co.), November 19 - Mrs. Rosie CATES, wife of Sam CATES, although they are now living apart, attempted to commit suicide here last evening. She drank two ounces of laudanum, according to her account, and then copious draughts of whisky. One poison counteracted the other and she did not die. She applied at the drug store to purchase more laudanum, telling what she had done. She was, of course, refused any more of the poison. She had once before attempted suicide. She was formerly Miss Rosie SCOTT, of Redding. Her married life has been unhappy and full of trouble.



Well-Known Trinity Mining Man on Trial, Charged with a Serious Offense

WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), November 19 - The trial of W.W. PHILLIPS, upon the charge of assault with a deadly weapon, has been in progress in the Superior Court all week. The taking of evidence was concluded this morning, and by evening the case will go to the jury, it is thought.

  Phillips had a quarrel with A.W. ELLIS at Lewiston on July 2nd last. According to the evidence submitted, Ellis had written a letter to an Eastern mining Company derogatory of Phillips’ management of its affairs at Lewiston. The Company returned Ellis’ letter to Phillips. The two met at the village blacksmith shop and a quarrel ensued.

  Phillips drew his gun and shot three times at Ellis as the latter ran, but did not hit him. He snapped his pistol a fourth time. This is, briefly, Ellis’ version.

  Phillips on his own behalf admits that his weapon was “discharged” three times but claims that at no time was it directed at Ellis. The first time it went off by accident, as he drew it from his pocket when he thought Ellis was about to draw a weapon. The second and third shots were fired, Phillips claims, in the air just to scare Ellis. He denies snapping the gun in an attempt to fire the fourth shot.

  The case attracts a great deal of attention in Trinity County because of the prominence of the defendant and the prosecuting witness in mining circles. It has taken up as much time in the Court as an ordinary murder trial, and the verdict of the jury, which will probably be rendered this evening, is awaited with great eagerness.

Submitted by Betty Loose



Sacramento Evening Bee

Monday, November 21, 1904



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 21 - Two strangers who arrived here from Chico Friday morning, and who give the names of John ALLEN and William LEWIS, were booked at the city prison Saturday night by Officer BECKER, first on suspicion, and, finally, for burglary. The officer’s attention was attracted to the pair because of their strange actions. When he held them up at the corner of Fourth and A Streets a sandbag was found concealed in Allen’s coat pocket.

  The men were in jail but a short time when a lodger at the Dawson House named REED reported that his quarters had been burglarized. Investigation proved that one of the prisoners, Lewis, was wearing a suit of clothes belonging to Reed, while Allen was wearing his hat. The latter has admitted that the hat was taken from the lodging house. His pall is not so free at admitting his guilt.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 21 - The third death to occur in one family in less than four months took place Sunday morning when George SHELTON, the remaining member of Mrs. W.E. Shelton’s household, passed away.

  The eldest son, Charles, died in July last, and the daughter, Miss Cora, answered the summons in September.

  George Shelton, who was 34 years of age, was suffering with dropsy and jaundice, but an overdose of morphine, taken accidentally to alleviate his sufferings, brought the end.



COPLEY (Shasta Co.), November 21 - James R. KING, an old-time miner in this district, was found dead in his cabin Saturday morning. Suffering from Bright’s disease, he had gone to the County Hospital. Election day coming around, he insited (sic) on returning to Coplay to cast what he believed would be his last vote. He was an ardent Republican and with tears in his eyes he begged the steward of the Hospital to be allowed to return home for just one day and vote for Roosevelt. He cast his ballot all right and went to his old cabin home. He was taken for the worse and was found dead Saturday morning.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 21 - Now that the oranges grown in the front dooryards of Redding homes are taking on the golden hues of ripeness, property owners are greatly annoyed by the nightly depredations of the small boy who knows a good thing when he sees it and whose conscience does not smite any harder for stealing oranges than it would for raiding a watermelon patch in the Summer time.

  A. KLEMMER, being subject to several raids, hit upon a novel plan of detecting the pilferers. He borrowed a half-dozen cowbells. At nightfall he distributed these musical intonators promiscuously among the lower branches of the orange trees that bore the most tempting baits of fruit.

  Before daylight next morning a newsboy on his early rounds dropped a paper on the Klemmer doorstep and stopped to gather some ripened oranges, as he had doubtless done before. He grabbed the luscious fruit form the laden boughs that drooped from overhead. One, two, three, four oranges dropped into his pockets. He didn’t stop to count any more, for there was a clanger of cowbells in the Klemmer dooryard that sent the frightened newsboy scampering down the hill with the speed of “greased lightning.”

  In his flight he dropped his bundle of morning papers, and that fact probably accounted for so many subscribers in West Redding complaining that morning that they had received no paper.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 21 - Down in Wheatland, the home of Assemblyman-elect E.T. MANWELL, there is a warm fight on for the position of Postmaster. It is not as important as the contest here, but it is interesting just the same. The contestants are the incumbent, J.M. JOHNSON, and James A. MUCK. Both men have influential following, but Johnson is said to have a handicap in having fallen out with the members of the Republican County Central Committee.

  This latter body, it is said, will use its influence to bring about a change, but whether or not Muck will be the man of their choice remains to be seen. Supervisor MORRISON is said to be lending his support to Muck’s fight. Johnson has held the office for four years.



CORNING (Tehama Co.), November 21 - Prof K. Clyde KENNEDY, of Redding, and Miss Gwendolyn ODELL, were married here yesterday. Prof. Kennedy is a member of the faculty of the Shasta County High School at Redding, and Miss Odell’s home is in Dillon, Montana, she having only recently come to Corning to visit relatives and prepare for the wedding that was solemnized yesterday. Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy’s honeymoon trip was from Corning to their new home.



WEAVERVILLE (Trinity Co.), November 21 - The Board of Supervisors has appointed the following Trinity County mining men as delegates to the California Miners’ Association, which is to meet in San Francisco, December 5th: L.M. HOFFLER, George P. RUDDOCK and James W. BARTLETT.



Review of Crime and Subsequent Happenings Emphasize First Suspicions - Preliminary Hearing Resumed This Afternoon - Yesterday’s Developments

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 21 - The preliminary examination adjourned Saturday until this afternoon at 2 o’clock. Nothing of particular interest was brought out after The Bee’s report ceased for the day.

  Auburn will go down in history as the scene of one of the most remarkable crimes in the annals of criminology. It rivals anything in the crimes of California, and is more astounding in many phases than the famous DURRANT and DUNHAM cases.

  The crime is remarkable for the short space of time in which it was committed, the fiendishness of the murderer in the mutilation of the bodies, the profound mystery that still surrounds the case, the unnatural conduct of the accused and the superstitious terror that has possessed the people of this city, and their terrible dread of the beardless youth, even securely caged as he is in a steel cell at the county jail, who stands accused of the authorship of the hellish slaughter.

  On the evening of November 10th, shortly before 8 o’clock, the firebells rang and the people rushed toward a lurid blaze that lighted up the western sky, emanating from the tall, stately home of the Webers. The house is situated away from streets and sidewalks, and its approaches are made by narrow irregular paths along the grassy hillside to where it stands overlooking the city. It was with much difficulty that the firemen reached it, and it was some time before sufficient lengths of hose could be coupled together to bring the water to play upon the flames. The only two residences situated on the hill were those of the Snowdens and the Webers. The former is about 200 yards north of where the latter stood.

  Mrs. Snowden and Mrs. Weber were sisters, as well as neighbors, and exceedingly devoted to each other. Hardly a day passed but the two had met at one house of the other and exchanged confidences about household affairs. The two families were both home lovers, and cared but little for the ordinary social attractions of the world. They had shared their joys and sorrows together and had lived happily, both being in good financial circumstances and living in harmony with their people aside from the occasional ripples which come to every domestic circle.

            First at the Fire

 Mr. Snowden was the first of the Snowden family to discover the flames and he hurriedly informed his wife. She rushed toward the building and on her arrival no one had yet reached the spot except Chris HENRY, a neighbor. The roar and crackle of the flames were the only sounds that could be heard, as no human voice issued from the building. The terror-stricken woman instinctively took this as an ominous sign, and started to break into the house in search of her sister and family. Henry saw the desperation of the woman, and with great difficulty restrained her from entering a place that meant certain death to her. By this time others began to arrive and as all doors and windows in the house resisted entrance, the firemen began breaking their way through the windows.

  Among them was Adolph Weber, who came with the first arrivals. He carried a bundle containing an old pair of pants which he had, but a few moments before, discarded at a dry goods store for a new pair he purchased there. Weber was seen to throw the bundle he held in his hand and shatter the panes of one of the windows, after which he entered. But no one saw him while in there. Whether, as accused youth states, he attempted to rescue any of his people, or whether, as is the theory of some, he went in to perfect some detail of the dastardly crime that is laid to his door, may never be known. One of the firemen saw Weber lean from the window shortly after, and in coming out his hand was quite badly cut on the broken glass.

            Finding the Bodies

 The firemen who entered the front window of the room where the bodies of Mrs. Weber, her daughter Bertha, and little son Earl were found, are positive Adolph was nowhere near them. They did not see him at all until after they left the building. These firemen had as yet no intimation that there were bodies in the house. The light of the fire was not sufficient to see about the room, and they were groping in search of what they might save, when they came upon a prostrate form. The discovery of the other two quickly followed and the three were hurriedly passed out through the window to the firemen outside.

  The bodies of Mrs. Weber and her daughter were badly burned, one in the upper and the other in the lower parts. At the time they were taken from the room not a particle of fire had reached there, and the first glints of suspicion began to flash across the public mind, though there were still many who were not acquainted with the facts, and who returned to their homes, shocked only by what they at first supposed was the Weber’s inability to escape from the fatal flames. But a few officials were looking with grave suspicion on the bodies and when physicians arrived at the under-taking parlors shortly after, and a hasty examination showed that the bodies bore bullet wounds, the full magnitude of the awful occurrence was thoroughly established.

  Adolph Weber was led away from the scene and taken to the home of a friend, where he remained all night, and his wounded hand attended to . He was in a state of nervous excitement and friends watched close at his bedside all night. They made no allusion to the holocaust, as it was their desire to keep his mind off the calamity. He made several allusions to it himself, but his friends made no comment on his remarks.

            First Suspicions

 Weber had not spoke to his aunt, Mrs. Snowden, for about seven months, but on the morning after the fire he visited the Snowden home, and it was then that his aunt openly charged him with murder. The news of Mrs. Snowden’s suspicions spread like wildfire and the city became agog with excitement. The standing of Mrs. Snowden, and her positive conviction turned attention toward Adolph Weber for a lucid explanation. People grew restless and began to ask why the officers did not arrest young Weber.

  But Sheriff Keena was silent, and began his investigation. He paid no heed to the importunities of those who urged him to place the suspected man in prison. He was proceeding slowly and carefully. The feeling of suspicion grew greater each hour, and people who are not ordinarily given to strong expressions declared that Weber should be arrested. Women throughout the city were in a state of almost panic, at the thoughts of young Weber being at large, and would not venture out after nightfall.

  The community stood in fear of the tall, slender youth who still mingled with citizens and passed along the streets. If he felt chagrin or mortification at the ban under which he had been placed, he gave no outward sign. The second night after the fire he spent at the home of his guardian, John Adams. Weber was passing along a dark street on this evening, on his way to the Adams home, when he turned a corner and came abruptly face to face with a young woman going in the opposite direction. She was so startled by his appearance that she ran screaming away from him. He never slackened his quick, military step, but passed on.

            Angry at The Bee

 The first newspaper reports of the tragedy which were sent out did not state that Adolph weber was under suspicion. The Bee, however, was the first to say this and The Bee’s head lines enraged the suspected man. He began to make inquiries as to who the local correspondent was and with a copy of the paper visited Coroner Shepard and expressed his indignation. He afterwards visited his aunt, Mrs. Snowden, and charged her as being the instigator of the article. It was at this time that he threatened his aunt when he is said to have made use of the expression: “Your turn will come next!”

  This is the most damaging thing that has occurred to clinch the suspicion that now hangs over him, and it is the opinion that had young Weber refrained from this, and made his demeanor toward his aunt less threatening he would have been given the benefit of the doubt that existed in the minds of many who could not be reconciled to the theory that he committed the crime.

  The discovery of blood stains on the piano stool seems to confirm the theory that Bertha Weber was shot while at the piano, as already advanced in The Bee. It is the opinion of some that Mrs. Weber was killed in the hallway with her little boy, and their bodies dragged into the piano room, where the daughter lay, and that then the clothing of the two women was set on fire.

  But the doors and windows being closed, the flames of the ignited clothing died down for lack of draught to fan them. The firemen testified that the fire was still smoldering on bodies of the two women when they were taken out and blazed up when the bodies reached the open air at the window.

            Weber’s Picture Taken

 Yesterday young Weber consented to pose for his photograph. He has changed his demeanor toward photographers. He tried to demolish one artist’s camera who attempted to catch a ‘snap’ of him when he was first arrested. Yesterday he was brought out from his cell by Deputy FULTON and taken to the north entrance of the Court House, where a photographer took twelve different views of the prisoner. Weber had but little to say during the time. Sheriff Keena, on his favorite saddle horse, stood by and watched the proceeding with marked interest. The photographer then took the Sheriff’s picture.

  The prisoner wanted to take the witness stand Saturday afternoon and refute the testimony of the witnesses who had borne witness against him. He was advised, however, to take the advice of his attorneys, who do not want him to take the witness stand at the preliminary.

  Each day new stories of Weber’s eccentric ways come to light from different citizens who have come in contact with him. He was a visitor at several homes here, where he went to play chess, and his silent manner has always been remarked upon.

  “Young Weber used to come to my home,” said a citizen here yesterday, “and play chess. I never cared much about him coming, as he was not a congenial man, and his mysterious manner created a sort of dread in me of the boy. He had ceased to come to my house altogether, and I had not thought of him for a long time.

  “One night after my family had retired and I was about to retire myself, the door bell rang. It was dark at the front door when I opened it, and to my question of who was there, a voice in the darkness said ‘Do you want to play a game of chess?’ I recognized Weber’s voice. I was rather reluctant to receive him at that time, but finally said I would play the game. He then went away as silently and mysteriously as he had come.”

            Annoyed Witnesses

  A newspaper photographer tried to get a picture of a group of women who were witnesses as they were leaving the Court-room. The women objected to this and ran back into the corridors. The photographer was persistent and followed them about with his camera, but did not get the pictures, as the women turned their backs on him. Deputy Sheriff Fulton reprimanded the picture man for his persistency.

  Julius Weber, the murdered brewer, came to Auburn a poor man. He began life here as a laborer in the brewery and was frugal and saving until he became a partner in the Auburn Brewery under the firm name of Roll & Weber. Weber bought his parner’s interest after a few years and became sole proprietor of the brewery. It was thus that he laid the foundation of his fortune, and after a term of active years in the brewing business, retired and devoted most of his time to his beautiful home, its garden and surroundings. He was never known to loiter about the streets, but went to and from his home on business errands or other missions. Weber’s close and saving disposition had often been discussed, and he was said to have made, through his own efforts, quicker strides along the road to wealth than any man who started his fortunes in Auburn. He took a great interest in the education of his children, and for years, during inclement weather, drove daily with his buggy to the public school to get Adolph and Bertha, who were small children. He was never given to much conversation, being of a reticent disposition, and this trait seems to have been inherited by the son.

            Foolish Theories

 Theories continue to be hatched, some of which are absurd and ridiculous. The report of a morning paper yesterday to the affect that Carl HENREICH, of San Francisco, had stated that he had a witness who could disclose the real murderer, and that it was not Adolph Weber does not find any support here. Henreich, who became known her through a divorce case, in which he was shown in anything but a favorable light, is not known to many here, and his utterances are looked upon as “hot air,” based upon a desire to get his name into the newspapers.

  Argument against the Webers being killed by an outside party continues among the people. It is urged that a stranger could not have kept the assassination so closely guarded. That had this been the case, the Webers on the first alarm would have fled from the house. That an outsider could not have made an entrance into the Weber home, killed its inmates and then locked the house so securely without having caused alarm to have been given.

  Yesterday Under Sheriff May and Coroner Shepard entertained the newspaper fraternity who are here by taking them on a pleasant drive through the surrounding country, visiting various points of interest and attractions.

  Everything was quiet at the Court House yesterday and aside from being brought out to have his photo taken Weber did not leave his cell all day, spending a great deal of his time in writing and reading.

  The search for the pistol with which the Webers were killed continues. The hillsides were scoured for the missing weapon yesterday, but without success.

  At the prisoners request, his aunt, Mrs. Snowden, visited him yesterday for a few moments. He merely inquired of her if she had thought about headstones for the graves of the dead Webers. An official, at Mrs. Snowden’s request, accompanied her. Several local pastors spoke of the great crime in their sermons yesterday.

Submitted by Betty Loose




Sacrament Evening Bee

November 22, 1904



YREKA (Siskiyou Co.), November 22 - Word has reached here of the supposed accidental death of Allen HILT, a prominent citizen of the northern part of the county. Hilt’s team came home driverless and after a lengthy search by his friends Hilt’s body was found on Bailey Hill. Life was extinct.

  The real cause of the accident has not been fully ascertained, but it is thought the wagon bumped against a large boulder by the side of the road and that the heavy jar threw Hilt out and under the wagon, which was a heavy one, and that it passed over his chest, killing him almost instantly.

  Hilt was a perfectly sober and industrious man and had a large number of friends throughout the county. He was a cousin of M.E. BUCKER, a business man of this place.

  It was plainly an accidental death and the Coroner has decided not to hold an inquest. When found a gold watch and considerable money was on the body of the deceased.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 22 - Mrs. F. CUMMINGS,of this city, swallowed a two-inch cambric needle Sunday with a bite of turkey. The needle had been used in sewing up the turkey so that the dressing would be kept in place and through some inadvertence it was not withdrawn.

  The roast turkey was served at the noonday meal and no one came across the needle. At suppertime Mrs. Cummings, in setting the table, ripped a bite of the roasted meat and swallowed it. After she had done so she realized that the needle was stuck in her throat. A hurried trip to the office of a physician resulted in the recovery of the little piece of shining steel. By some surgical appliance it was dislodged about three inches below the larynx and Mrs. Cummings retains it and the turkey wishbone as souvenirs of the day.



Assistant Secretary of the Navy Tendered Banquet by Citizens of Vallejo

VALLEJO (Solano Co.), November 22 - The most brilliant function, locally speaking, ever tendered a distinguished visitor was given by the Vallejo Chamber of Commerce last night at the New Bernard Hotel, in honor of Assistant Secretary of the Navy Charles H. DARLING.  Assemblyman-elect Frank H. DEVLIN presided, being Chairman of the local body. The tables were laid for fifty and beautifully decorated, the menu being a choice one.

  The hospitality of the Chamber of Commerce was much appreciated by all the distinguished guests, which included besides the guest of the evening, Senator PERKINS, Congressmen-elect KAHN, KNOWLAND and HAYES, Admiral McCALLA, all the heads of departments at the Navy Yard, including Constructor ZAHM, Captains MOORE and TILLEY, Commander RANSOM, Civil Engineer ROUSSEAU, Captain BURNETT and others, including foreman of every shop on Navy Yard. Congressman Theodore BELL was unavoidably prevented from coming, and also Congressmen-elect McKINLAY and WYNN.

   Assistant Secretary Darling made a pleasant and encouraging speech, touching upon the desire of the Navy Department to consult the needs of Mare Island. He highly complimented Admiral McCalla, the heads of departments, the foremen and employes of the yard for excellent work in the past, and predicted a bright future for Mare Island Yard.

  The Assistant Secretary especially complimented Vallejo on such a progressive and enterprising Chamber of Commerce, and was noticeably more than pleased at his cordial reception, both of Mare Island and Vallejo.

  Other speakers were Mayor RONEY, Senator PERKINS, Congressmen-elect Kahn, Hayes and Knowland, the last named three expressing their determination to further all needs of Mare Island in Congress. Master Machinist JONES and Foreman HUSSEY and MORTON, all made practical short talks. The entire affair was a great credit to the local Chamber of Commerce.



Evidence Of Silent Tragedy of the Long Ago Found on Desolate Range

ALTURAS (Modoc Co.), November 22 - While riding on the stock range east of Surprise Valley gathering cattle, sone yaqueros discovered evidence of what no doubt was a terrible hand-to-hand conflict resulting in the death of two men, presumably Indians, who took part in the fatal fight.

  Nothing remained but the skeletons, some clothing and the knives with which the horrible duel was fought.

  The left forearm of the larger person was broken, to judge from appearances, during the fight, and marks from plunges and strokes of a knife are plainly in evidence on the collar bones and some of the ribs.

  On the smaller person three fingers appear to have been severed from the left hand. This must have been done in grasping the death-dealing knife of his larger foe.

  No other marks were found on the skeleton to bear witness to this old tragedy so (illegible) swift and fatal. Time has obliterated all other evidences of that terrible struggle.

  It is evident the participants were locked in each other’s embrace when death came.

  The knives were large hunting blades such as are used by Indians, and the shape of the skeletons together with the small pieces of clothing found leave no doubt as to the parties having been of that race.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 22 - In the WRIGHT murder case, Assistant District Attorney Guy R. KENNEDY argued for several hours last evening for the prosecution. This morning’s session was taken up by Attorney W.E. DUNCAN, for the defense.  This afternoon District Attorney Warren SEXTON made his argument. The case will likely be settled to-night.

  An interesting fact which has been noted in connection with the case and which is considered favorable to the prosecution, is that every man on the jury, excepting one, is a married man, and being such may be in sympathye (sic) with FARLEY in his famous troubles, which led up to the killing.

  Attorney Duncan made an attempt yesterday to impeach the testimony of some of the witnesses for the prosecution, but Judge GRAY considered that too much time was being wasted and gave the attorneys a mild call down.



OROVILLE (Butte Co), November 22 - The decision in the HENDRIX-McKEE and the PAYNE-McKEE cases, wherein Hendrix and Payne seek to force McKee to pay checks cashed during a dice game, is still in doubt, although a decision was expected some days ago.

  The case involves some interesting points of law and consequently the public in general is waiting the decision with marked interest.

  The fact that Judge GRAY is withholding his decision is taken to indicate that the Judge considers it a problem of great importance, and wants to consider it thoroughly before making his ruling.

  However, it is expected that after the Wright trial is disposed of the Judge will give his decision and thus relieve the curiosity of many and the anxiety of others more directly interested.


            KILLED BY OWN GUN

PETALUMA (Sonoma Co.), November 22 - Orlando SOLANAC, a liquor merchant, was accidentally killed yesterday while hunting near Red Hill. He was getting into his buggy and pushed his shotgun in ahead. The trigger caught on the seat and the gun was discharged - the charge striking him in the neck and killing him instantly.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 22 - A case of might-have-been occurred at the County Hospital last evening that is remarkable for the narrow escape of Phillip SNYDER, a 70-year-old patient, from instant death. For three years a window-weight iron, weighing about eight pounds, had dangled at a rope’s end thirty feet from the ground and against the water tank on the windmill tower. It was a part of the water gauge apparatus. Beneath that weight was a bench. On that bench Phillip SNYDER had never been known to sit until yesterday afternoon.

  As he sat there the rope supporting the iron weight broke of its own accord. It had probably rotted from its long immersion in the water of the tank. The iron weight fell to the ground with the velocity accorded by gravity. It grazed the aged man’s shoulder, made a round hole through the board seat, two inches from where he sat, and imbedded itself in the earth beneath him.


            SEEDLESS LEMON

ROCKLIN (Placer Co.), November 22 - L.B. DANGERFIELD, living a few miles from here, in the Citrus Colony district, has succeeded in producing a seedless lemon.

  The fruit has been sent to the Horticultural Department of the University of California.




Witnesses Tell of His Whereabouts on Night of the Murder - Blood Stains on Clothing.

If Not Held on Present Charge, Prisoner Will Be Tried on Others.

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 22 - In the event that the Court should find an insufficiency of evidence to hold Adolph Weber to appear for trial before the Superior Court for the murder of his mother, he will be immediately re-arrested on a second charge. There is not, however, the slightest doubt in any one’s mind here but that the prisoner will be held.

  Sheriff Keena received a letter yesterday from a woman in Stockton who claimed (though by what information she did not state) that Weber was innocent. She claimed to have conferred with former Sheriff of San Joaquin Tom CUNNINGHAM (who is dead, by the way) and that he had agreed with her in this, and urged her to write to Sheriff Keena. The Sheriff, of course, doesn’t take any stock in the woman’s theories.

  Since Under Sheriff May gave his testimony he has not been in as good standing with the prisoner as formerly. Sunday the Under Sheriff was away and Deputy Fulton in charge of the jail.

   “I suppose you are the only one in the Sheriff’s office in good standing with Adolph, now that he knows Under Sheriff May is a strong witness against him,” said The Bee correspondent to Deputy Fulton.

  “I don’t know,” replied the officer. “We never have any conversation and he has never asked me a question since the night of the fire.”

  The only other inmate of the portion of the jail where Weber is confined is a woman. A coal oil stove sits in the corridor next to the cage, and the woman spends her days in the corridor, while Adolph is inside the cage.

            More Light in Jail

 Yesterday workmen were engaged in changing the jail windows. The solid sheet steel outside of the windows will be removed and a heavy screen put in place of it. The screen netting is of a very thick mesh, and heavy wire, and is said to be even more difficult to penetrate than bars. The change will make it light in the jail, which is dark now, even in day time.

  During Jos. GOLDBERG’s testimony yesterday, as given below, no reference was made to Weber’s old pants being torn. The question was not asked, as at the Coroner’s inquiry. It will be remembered that Weber claimed to have torn his pants on a fire hydrant, and it was for this reason that he purchased the new pants.

  Most of the Snowden relatives, who came here in response to the tragedy, and some of whom were witnesses against the defendant, have returned to their homes.

  Miss Bertha HESS, a cousin of the murdered girl, bears a striking resemblance to Bertha Weber. Her appearance in the Court-room attracted general attention, as she looks more like a twin sister than a cousin. Both young women are said to have been alike in disposition, and other characteristics.

  Rumors and groundless stories continue to crop up at every turn and reports start from the merest mention of suggestion.

  The attorneys did not have any serious contentions yesterday, and the Court adjourned at 8 to meet again this morning at 9:30.

  Weber seemed to be in good spirits yesterday. He chatted pleasantly with the newspaper people during recess.

  Notwithstanding the large number of women who visit the Court-room, there doesn’t seem to be any of the class who admire criminals and who might extend favors to the prisoner.

  The prosecution finished with its witnesses last night. The conclusion of the preliminary proceedings is as indefinite as ever, and people have stopped guessing when it will be closed. Unless some further ground is to be gone over, there seems to be good reason for supposing it will be finished to-day.

  People continue to flock to the Weber examination, although the crowds are somewhat diminished in comparison to the first attendance. Yesterday morning the Court-room was occupied by the Superior Court in hearing the appeal of Sam DAVIS, recently convicted of burglary, and the spectators did not put in an appearance until the hour announced for the continuation of the Weber investigation. Adrian WELLS was recalled to the witness stand.

            Young Wills Talks

 “Did I understand you to say in your former testimony that Adolph Weber mentioned his mother to you on his way to your home the night of the fire?” asked Mr. Robinson.

  “We object to this witness trying to answer as to how the District Attorney understood him,” said Tabor; “let him ask a direct question.”

  Here a short discussion ensued as to framing the question.

  Witness Wills finally answered that the defendant had not mentioned his mother’s name at the time in question. The witness then explained a former statement he had made in which he said the defendant referred to his mother during the night as being dead. Defendant’s remark was that his mother had been “taken out burnt,” and from this witness believed that defendant knew his mother was dead. He so interpreted the remark.

  Attorney Tabor then questioned the right of the prosecuting attorney to cross-examine his own witness.

  Mr. Robinson then again referred to the fact that the case was not a trial and that his honor was not trying the case. His reason for asking the questions objected to was that the witness had twice stated that Weber had said his mother was dead, and that he now testifies that defendant said “she was burnt.” Tabor’s objection was overruled, and the witness stated he did not remember of so testifying.

  Mrs. Snowden, on her own request, took the witness stand to correct a statement she made about the character of the front door in the Weber home.

            Removed the Bodies

 Clarence GEAR assisted the firemen to remove the bodies from the burning house. He had gone to the front porch of the house, where the Firemen, RUTH and LUKENS, were breaking through the front windows. He received the body of Miss Bertha Weber, and handed it down the stairs to others. Thought it was Ruth who handed it to him. There was no light in the room except an occasional flash from the flames through the windows. It was then that the body of the little boy was handed to him, and he passed it on to William I. May. The body of Mrs. Weber was then handed out, and there was considerable smoke coming form the window. He could see the flames in the hallway and the glass in the front door breaking from the heat. Witness saw Adolph Weber at the foot of the front steps when he first went to the window and did not see him pass him or enter the room. It might have been possible for Weber to have done so, but he did not see him. Ruth and Lukens were the only ones he noticed enter the window when he arrived there. Witness remembered distinctly to whom he gave the little boy’s body, but could not state positively form whom he received it; thought it was from Ruth.

            Sold Weber Trousers

 Joseph GOLDBERG, the clerk at COHN’s store, where Weber purchased the trousers, said he knew the defendant only by sight.  Weber had visited the Cohn store at about five minuets to 7 or 7 o’clock the night of the fire, and requested to be shown some cheap trousers. This was done, and he put them on, rolling up his old pants and handing them to the clerk to be wrapped up. Weber had not acted in any way that attracted the witness’ attention. Goldberg was later entering a restaurant when a telephone message was received of the Weber fire, and he ran to the fire house and sounded the bell. He was positive as to the time he gave, and fixed the alarm as being at twenty minutes to 8. The defendant was in the store about ten minutes making his purchase. Deputy J. Fulton, whose daughter is an employe at the store, was also there, and another party whose name witness did not know. The defendant had asked for a cheap pair of pants, 32-33 in size, and was satisfied with the first pair handed to him.

            Blood on the Cloth

 Dr. J.F. WHITE, who was the first expert to discover traces of blood on Weber’s suspected garments, was then called. The Doctor had cut a piece of Weber’s drawers and subjected it to a chemical test to determining the presence of blood. This test had been made several days ago, at the request of District Attorney Robinson. Dr. White then detailed in technical terms the process of his test and the methods he employed to arrive at his determination. After the application of his chemicals he made a microscopic examination of the stains on the drawers, and found the bluish tint on the spots where the chemicals were applied, which denote the presence of blood. The expert used two tests in making his search, and is confident of the correctness of the conclusion he has arrived at.

  He also made tests on several portions of the old pants which Weber threw into the fire. A number of pieces in of the cloth were submitted to him, which he investigated and thoroughly experimented. The cloth was all the same pattern, being dark goods. A number of the pieces were quite well preserved while others were badly burned. But while on these latter it was more difficult to detect the blood, the results are not doubtful. Some of the fabric, however, was so badly burned that no traces of blood could be found. The others bore unmistakable evidences, and the witness was positive in the results of his investigation. As to whether it was human blood or not witness would not assert, as it was in such a condition he could not determine on the difference between human and animal blood. Dr. White was subjected to close questioning by the defendant’s attorney, but he explained with great positiveness all the points relating to his investigation.

  Fred BERNHARD, an early arrival at the Weber fire, told his story of what he saw and did on the night of the fire. Witness saw the defendant at the rear of the house, and when witness asked him where his family was Weber replied that “his folks were all there when he left.” Barnhard tried to break in the kitchen door, but desisted on the order of the firemen. He then went to the front porch, where the bodies were taken out. The hall stairs were burning, but the fire had not reached the front door.

            Two Women Testify

 The prosecution then placed May CLARK, a woman of the half-world, on the stand. She knew Weber, and saw him on the night of the fire, passing her house. He seemed to be walking fast, or, at least, faster than she had noticed him before. A short time after this she saw him again standing in front of the Post Office and spoke to him as she entered the building. There was no one with him at this time. Witness had started to return to her house when she saw the light from the flames in the Weber house and ran back to spread the alarm.  Witness was close to the road when the defendant passed her house going toward the Post Office and was very positive in identifying him, as he had passed near an electric light where she could easily recognize him.

  Miss DE RUE, a companion woman to May Clark, and who occupied the same house, was next called. When asked if her name was De Rue, the witness replied that her name “was Mrs. A.P. McBRAYER since 10 o’clock this morning.” She saw some one pass her house at the time Weber is said to have gone by, but did not know at the time who it was.  Was told afterward that it was the defendant. Was not attracted by anything unusual in his appearance.

  Miss Clark was recalled by the defense and questioned as to her certainty of seeing Weber at the Post Office. She reiterated with positiveness that it was Weber and that she could not be mistaken as he was only seven or eight feet away from her as she entered the Post Office. She had spoken to him as she went in, saying “Hello, kid.” but did not hear his response distinctly. He had answered her, but witness could not distinguish his words. Witness couldn’t tell whether Weber had any parcels in his hand when she saw him or not.



 The hearing this morning was more than usually unproductive. Only one witness was examined - C.H. ADAMS, Court Reporter. He was asked by the defense if he had taken short-hand notes on the morning of November 11th of a conversation that took place on that date between Sheriff Keena, District Attorney Robinson and Under Sheriff May. To this the District Attorney strenuously objected.

  The argument over the question lasted about an hour and in the end Mr. Robinson was sustained by the Court. As a matter of fact, Mr. Adams did take the shorthand notes in question, and while he has not divulged their contents it is understood that their publication would place at least one of the officials who took part in the conversation in an embarrassing situation.

  It looks now as though the hearing would be concluded this afternoon. Arguments will be submitted, but the understanding is that the opposing attorneys will not attempt to go into the case in detail. The local public entertains no doubt as to Weber’s guilt and the people believe that he will be held to answer to the Superior Court.

  Sheriff Keena says there is absolutely no truth in the rumor that the pistol with which young Weber is supposed to have killed the members of his family has been found. The search for the missing weapon still continues and many now believe that it was thrown away in the neighborhood of the Post Office.

  The testimony of the two women of the half-world yesterday leads to this conclusion, and, further, as pointed out before, it stamps the statements of the prisoner regarding his movements on the night of the crime as false.

Submitted by Betty Loose



Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, November 23 ,1904



CEDARVILLE (Modoc Co.), November 23 - John Heath Bonner of this place, died suddenly Saturday evening. Mr. Bonner had been suffering for some time from Bright’s disease, but for several days prior to death seemed to show quite an improvement.

  Mr. Bonner was one of Surprise Valley’s first settlers. He did a great work toward the building up of the valley, and the town of Cedarville, in particular. In the first settling of the valley, in company with William T. CRESSLER, a store was started in this town. Later a banking institution was established with the firm name of Cressler & Bonner. This business was carried on until about a year ago, when Mr. Bonner assumed control of the bank and ran it under the name of John H. Bonner. He still retained interests with Mr. Cressler in several ranches and pieces of town property.

  Mr. Bonner was one of the organizers in the Masonic Lodge at this place and was very highly esteemed by all who knew him. He has passed through all the chairs and held the office of Treasurer at the time of his death.

  He leaves a wife and three children. The oldest, a son, E.C. Bonner, is District Attorney of this county. The younger children are two little girls.

  The funeral took place Monday afternoon under the auspices of the Masonic Lodge in which he had so long been a member.



RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), November 23 - The announcement of the wedding of Miss Alta Jean HAMMANS, daughter of A.J. Hammans, of this city, and Joseph McNeil BURT, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.N. Burt, will come as a great surprise to their friends who knew of their engagement but did not expect that the consummation would occur until next year.

  The young folds accompanied by the sister of the bride-elect, Mrs. Romeyn CRUMRINE, went to San Francisco last night and the ceremony will be performed to-day at the residence of mutual friends in the metropolis. The young couple will make their home in this city after a brief homey-moon trip.

The groom-elect is a popular young business man of this city, being associated with one of the largest concerns of the county. The bride’s father is a pioneer citizen and is well known throughout Superior California.



RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), November 23 - The mysterious disappearance of 152 lambs belonging to Joseph FRATES, who was driving the bunch to Stockton for stock purposes, is agitating stockmen in this county. The officers of the law are wondering what has become of the animals which could hardly have gone astray without some kind of human aid. The lambs were driven down to Tehama and camped on the Kimball plains for the night. That was the last seen of them. No count was taken of the bunch, which included nearly 2000 lambs, until Marysville was reached, when they were discovered to be short. There is no clue to the missing animals or to the thieves.



GRIDLEY (Butte Co.), November 23 - At a meeting called for the purpose of considering a Woman’s Improvement Club in this place last Saturday night a goodly company of representative women of Gridley were present and the organization was perfected. The following officers were elected:

 President: Mrs. J.A. DeRUCHIE; Vice-President, Mrs. Kate BOLT; Secretary, Miss Gertie BOLT; Treasurer, Mrs. L.Q. THOMPSON. A meeting will be held ext Monday evening, at which time by-laws will be adopted and a program for action mapped out.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 23 - It is said the Republican Central Committee of Yuba County has endorsed Judge N.P. CHIPMAN, of Tehama County, and Judge Stanley A. SMITH, of Sierra County, for the position of Judges in the new District Court of Appeals authorized by the electors in the recent election. The new Court will have headquarters in Sacramento, and will treat cases for all Superior California.


Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, November 23, 1904



Discovery of Weapon Created Sensation - Protracted Hearing Ends at Last - District Attorney’s Argument Against the Prisoner.

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 23 - As told in the last edition of The Bee yesterday, the pistol with which the Weber family was so foully murdered was found yesterday shortly before noon by Clarence GEAR, who was a member of a searching party, which was hunting for the much-sought weapon under the direction of Detective Chas H. REIMAR. The men were searching through ravines, in wells, shanties and buildings near where the Weber house stood. The ground has been gone over before, but this time the search was more thorough and systematic. The party were working quietly, and no one knew of the half-dozen determined men who searched silently for the weapon that would add one of the greatest links to the chain of evidence that is being welded around Adolph Weber.

  Public opinion has been of almost one accord in thinking the suspected man guilty, but the great question has been, “Where is the pistol?” From the first it has been believed that the revolver would come to light, though its discovery was despaired of by some, and the defendant’s reputed cleverness led many to believe that he had too carefully planned the crime, if he did it, to ever leave any evidence behind that would lead to a trace of the pistol.

  The Weber barn is the only structure that was left standing on the property after the fire. When the searching party reached the building yesterday they began to examine it minutely, poking into every cranny and corner. Clarence Gear, who was one of the party, entered the basement, a small place under the barn, which Adolph Weber had used to keep game chickens in. Running his hands along a sill of the barn, a few feet from the door, he found a 38 Ivers & Johnson revolver. The firearm contained five exploded shells, and it show plainly the evidences of blood upon it.

            Prisoner Looked Ill

 The afternoon session began somewhat later than usual. Adolph and Under Sheriff May arrived in the Court-room some minutes before the attorneys. The prisoner was not feeling well. He was pale, and really looked ill. It did not change his demeanor, however, and he responded to those around with the same cold civility that is characteristic of him. E.A. FUTHEY, machinist and gunsmith, was the first witness, and he gave testimony as to several bullets that were submitted to him, giving answer that they were manufactured by the Peters Cartridge Company and were of 32 cailbre. The witness then went in detail on the difference in the appearance of the bullets used in cartridges of different makes and other metallic loads for firearms.

  Clarence Gear was then called to the stand and a pistol handed to him by District Attorney Robinson. He was asked if he knew the weapon and if he had ever seen it before. He replied that he had, and that he had found the weapon shortly before noon in the Weber barn. Gear then recited the circumstances surrounding his discovery. Detective Chas. H. Reimar was with Gear when he found the pistol.

  There were but few spectators in the Court-room, but Gear’s testimony created a profound sensation and the report of the pistol’s discovery spread rapidly through the city. The searching party was composed of Detective Chas. H. Reimer, Clarence Gear, Ben Dependener and John Monahan. The party made careful search of two springs in the vicinity and then minutely examined a grain field adjoining the Weber property. They then came to the barn. Gear and the detective entering the lower portion and the other two the upper part of the building to continue the search. Gear came upon the object of his search soon after they entered the building.

            The Gun Found

 The gun was carefully hidden on the top of the sill and out of sight, so that it was not noticeable. It contained five exploded shells, and was blood-stained. It is a double action weapon and bears the number 19-554, and is said to have been purchased by young Weber in San Francisco. The officers are now laying the plans to get direct evidence of Weber’s ownership of the gun, which will practically fasten the responsibility of the crime upon him, regardless of other damaging evidence, which is at hand.

  The theory is that two of the shells were fired into the body of Julius Weber, two into Mrs. Weber and one of them into Miss Bertha’s body. Having no more loads in the gun the murderer struck the little boy over the head with the pistol, which accounts for the blood stains found upon it. The weapon was closed when found, showing it had been carefully laid there.

  Detective Reimer was sworn and related matters about his search, and the course and events that led up to the pistol’s discovery. He was closely questioned by defendant’s attorney about his various statements.

  District Attorney Robinson then offered the revolver in evidence. Mr. Tabor made objection to its admission on the grounds that it was irrelevant and in no way tended to show the guilt of his client. He stated that testimony had been given in the examination by intimate friends of the accused, who declared that they had never known young Weber to have in his possession a weapon such as the one found.

  District Attorney Robinson met these objections and declared that the finding of the revolver was undoubtedly indicative of the defendant’s guilt. That part of the barn where the weapon was found was used only by the defendant to keep game chickens in; it was there that it had been young Weber’s custom to keep his feathered fighters cooped up and the coops are still in the basement where yesterday’s discovery was made.

  Judge Smith overruled Mr. Tabor’s objection and the pistol and the shells taken from it were admitted as evidence and exhibits in the case.

            Wanted Weber Held

 District Attorney Robinson then made a simple motion that the defendant be bound over to stand trial for the crime with which he was charged.

  The counsel for defendant followed in behalf of his client. He reviewed the testimony of several witnesses at some length and declared that there was nothing in their evidence that pointed to the guilt of the defendant.

  He pointed to variances he said existed in some of the evidence, which he laid to be due to the great excitement of the moment when the events in question transpired. That at such moments men were unable to conceive and remember what actually did occur. He referred to some of the statements made by the defendant at the Coroner’s inquest, and that at that time the defendant was laboring under stress of mental agony and excitement even though he appeared cool and collected.

  Mr. Robinson then presented the strength of the witnesses who had testified against Weber and argued for the deductions he had made from the evidence. While he was speaking, the defendant looked at him intently for a moment and then averted his gaze, looking out of the window again.

  At the conclusion the District Attorney reiterated his motion that the defendant be held without bail, pointing to the statutory provision provided for such cases. Judge Smith intimated that he would like to take the matter under advisement until Friday. Defendant’s counsel was agreeable to this, but Mr. Robinson objected and asked the Court if it could not arrive at an earlier decision. The Court then stated that it would take until to-day at 1:30 at which time it would try to consider the case sufficiently to render a verdict by that time.

            Prisoner was Calm

 Close watch was kept on the features of the defendant during the afternoon when the new-found pistol was offered in evidence. Adolph watched the proceedings without any change in his manner. If the deadly weapon that was so suddenly sprung upon the Court gave the defendant any shock or its discovery and sudden appearance as his accuser caused him any dismay, he did not show it by any outward sign.

  Adolph Weber is still the calm, cold individual that he was when he was first brought into Court. If he had the nerve to assassinate his own flesh and blood, many who expected to see him break down now will be disappointed.

  Just before being taken to his cell after the adjournment of Judge Smith’s Court at noon yesterday, the prisoner requested to see his guardian, John Adams. He said he wanted to change his diet of shredded wheat to wheat flakes, which he uses with milk. He also called for a quantity of port wine, come cascarets and pills.

  The forenoon session was slow and unprofitable and but little headway was made.

  Court Reporter Adams was the only witness, and the attorneys argued on the admissibility of his testimony, as told in yesterday’s Bee.

  The morning after the fire young Weber was in close conference with District Attorney Robinson, Sheriff Keena and Under Sheriff May. The defendant’s counsel announced that they would ask the witness to produce his shorthand notes taken by him of the interview that had taken place between young Weber and the officers.

  Mr. Robinson strenuously objected on the grounds that professional confidences were irrelevant to the case. Then began a long argument on both sides. Counsel for defense said:

 “We have a right to know what we have been charged with and what has been said.”

  Similar cases were cited by counsel where defendants were allowed to introduce such matters.

  “The rule which protects professional men from repeating what has been said to them is protection to the client, and not to the men themselves,” said Mr. Tabor. “If a physician becomes acquainted with certain confidential facts of a patient, and that patient desires him to testify as to what he knows of those facts, it is then his duty to do so.”

            Robinson Sustained

 On the usual grounds, Mr. Robinson continued his objection, claiming the defendant himself as the best evidence as to what had been said. Whatever previous statements he had made he could certainly tell to his attorney in private, which would be a better way. He objected to the transcript of those statements being given to the defense in this preliminary, as it would weaken the prosecution. After lengthy argument on both sides, the Court sustained Robinson’s objections.

  After a few unimportant questions the noon recess was taken.

  Everybody was good-natured yesterday, and aside from occasional sarcasm among the attorneys, nothing of a bitter nature occurred.

  The prisoner’s hand is still bandages for the wound he received at the fire, though it does not seem to pain or annoy him.

  The long session of preliminary examination is telling on everybody, and all the Court officers are glad that it is finished. Even the prisoner looks bored at the last hour’s proceedings.

  “Come, Adolph,” said Under Sheriff May, as he approached Weber’s cell yesterday, “and get ready for another spasm upstairs.”

  The prisoner smiled and seemed to enjoy the joke.

  “Do you call these spasms?” asked the prisoner.


  “I don’t k now but that it might apply,” said Adolph, smiling as he mounted the marble steps toward the Court-room.



 Thoms V. LICHTENSETIN, manager of a Sacramento pawnbroking establishment, was called upon this morning by a Bee reporter and asked regarding his trip to Auburn yesterday at the request of Sheriff Keena, of Placer County. He was told that the rumor was current in Auburn to-day that he had positively identified Adolph Weber as the young man to whom, sometime last May, he sold the pistol which was used by the masked man who robbed the Bank of Placer County in that month.

  “I went to Auburn at the request of Sheriff Keena,” said Mr. Lichetenstein, “but it positively is not true that I identified young Weber as the man to whom the pistol owned by the bank robber was sold, however close the resemblance may be. I went up on the late train Monday night and remained at Auburn yesterday. The officers did not want me to say anything about my purpose in visiting the town, so I kept silent while there. But as long as it has been discovered, I might as well talk.

  “In such a business as I manage here one meets a great many people and sells a great many articles. Consequently it is not possible in the majority of cases to affirm, positively, that this or that man called at my office or that this or that article was sold. Sometimes there may be an unusual circumstance connected with a sale that will impress both the article sold and the purchaser upon a man’s mind. But ordinarily this is not the case. This being true, I didn’t feel like giving a positive opinion as to Weber. Certainly I did not take oath as to his identity. What is there to distinguish one ordinary and unnumbered pistol from another? And especially when the weapon was sold six months ago and to a stranger at that.”

  In his opinion, based upon what he has read of the case and what he learned in Auburn yesterday, the officers feel it necessary to establish an adequate motive as the reason for Weber having committed the crime of which he is accused. Because of this need, the attempt has been made to connect the prisoner with the bank robbery, it being asserted in this connection that Weber’s family had in some way learned of the crime, and for this the son and brother had decreed their death.

Submitted by Betty Loose




© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Sacramento CAGenWeb