Search billions of records on




Other California Counties


Nevada News Clippings




1850's  | 1860's  | 1862  | 1870's & 1880's  | 1890's  | 1900-1903  | 1905  | 1906  | 1907  | 1909  | 1910  | 1911 | 1912 | 1913-1915 | 1917-1920's



California County's News 1904a
California County's News 1904b
California County's News 1904c
California County's News 1904d




Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, November 16, 1904



Couldn’t Be Married In Wedding Garments Bought Especially For Joyous Occasion

LODI (San Joaquin Co.), November 16 - The wedding of Miss Mayme V. LANGFORD, of Acampo, this county, and James Allen WILDER, of Bruceville, Sacramento County, took place to-day.

  The bride was not arrayed in an elegant trousseau, as was the original intention. Monday evening the bride-to-be was in Stockton, and expended $60 on her wedding clothes.  She boarded the overland at the county seat, and came to Lodi, where her brother was waiting with a buggy to take her home.

  They had only gone a block, in fact, were just crossing the railroad track, when some nervy petty larcenist purloined the valise containing the glad raiment from the rear of the vehicle. It was not missed until some time after.

  Then the Constable was notified and now every endeavor is being exerted to restore to the newly-made wife her wedding garments, including a late Winter hat.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 16 - On account of the crowded condition at the Home for Feeble-Minded at Glen Ellen, the authorities here are at a loss to know what to do with a case that came to their notice yesterday.

  A Commission in Lunacy, consisting of Drs. POWELL and HANLON and Judge McDANIEL, examined into the mental condition of 18-year-old Georgia MOORE, of Oregon Hill, who appeared in Court with her mother, and pronounced the young woman a fit subject for that institution.

  Sheriff VOSS was notified last evening however, that there was no room at Glen Ellen for his charge and that it will be useless for him to make the trip to the Home as a number are now awaiting their turn to be admitted.

  The mother of the unfortunate girl, although loath to part with the child, is quite disappointed at the turn affairs have taken, as her patient has become almost helpless and is daily growing worse, causing great inconvenience.



PLACERVILLE (El Dorado Co.), November 16 - The El Dorado County Board of Trade held its first annual meeting at the City Hall in this city last evening. All of the officers of the Board were re-elected for another year. The following are the officers of the Board:

 President, Max MIERSON; Vice-President, W.E. MACKENZIE and Geo. A. RICHARDSON; Secretary, Clarke HOWARD; Treasurer, M.Q. MEEHAN; Executive Committee, Hon. C.A. SWISLER, Albert SHAFSKY, J.C .O’DONNELL, A.M. CLARK, N. FOX, Percy ALDERSON and D.S. SIMON.

  The report of the Treasurer showed that the organization is in a healthy financial condition. In addition to advertising the resources of the county extensively, the Board has taken an active part in securing many public improvements, chief among which were the adoption of the County High School proposition, the increase of taxes for school purposes in this city and the lighting of the streets of this city with 1200 candle power arc lights.



Mistook Horse For His Prey, Threw Rifle to Shoulder, Fired and Hit Peaceful Human Being

LEWISTON (Trinity Co.), November 16, 1904 - Arthur DICKERSON mistook a horse for a deer yesterday morning when he was out hunting with W.A. HAMPTON. He shot at the horse and missed it, but hit David C. LUTMAN, who was leading the animal and nearly killed him.

  Dickerson and Hampton were out hunting about two miles from town. Lutman was hunting also. But while Dickerson and Hampton were hunting for deer, Lutman was hunting for a horse. Lutman had found his quest and was leading his sorrel mare through the brush down the mountain side about a hundred yards ahead of Dickerson, when the latter spied the horse but not the man leading it.

  Dickerson mistook the sorrel for a deer, threw a rifle to his shoulder, took quick aim and fired. The bullet struck Lutman instead of the horse. It hit him a glancing blow, striking a button on his waist in front, and plowing its way beneath the skin around the abdominal cavity and out at the back. Fortunately it did not pierce the peritoneum. The wound was superficial but painful.

  Lutman shrieked with pain when he was hit, and Dickerson realized that an awful blunder had been made.

  The point where the shooting took pace was a mile from the nearest road. Lutman had to walk this distance, Dickerson and Hampton supporting him, one on each side. At the road a stop was made and a wagon procured to haul the wounded man to town.

  The physician says that Lutman’s wound is not serious, if proper attention be paid to it for several days. Lutman was taken to Weaverville this morning, so that he can be under the direct care of the physician from day to day.

  The shooting of Lutman was an unfortunate blunder, and no one regrets it more than does Arthur Dickerson, who made it.



Rumor That Robbers Contemplated Hold-Up Cause Mine Owners to Take Great Precautions

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 16 - Citizens of this city were surprised yesterday afternoon to see an armed cavalcade driving through the streets, every man in the company being heavily armed and every weapon being very much in evidence. The men were miners and Deputy Sheriffs who were bringing the monthly cleaning of the Three Star Mine to the City Bank, and the reason for their precautions was an anonymous report that an attempt would be made to hold up the messenger who usually carries the treasure and relieve him of his precious burden.

  There was upward of $20,000 worth of gold in the brick guarded, and no chances were taken after the warning was received. Three wagons were used, the treasure being placed in the second one, and all three being loaded down with guards “armed to the teeth.” William REED, the assayer at the mine; George PATTERSON, the book-keeper, and Deputy Sheriff Manuel LOZANO were at the head of the procession that made its way in from the mine, the other side of Ophir, about five miles out in the mountains. Ordinarily two men are entrusted with the transportation of the precious gold brick, but in view of the stage hold-up of yesterday, the warning given was taken into consideration.



Eggs for Alaska - A movement is now on foot to form a Company in San Francisco for the shipment of eggs to Alaska under a process which, it is claimed, preserves the egg for six months without the use of cold storage. The owners and inventors of the process are M.J. DUFFY of Pennsylvania and H.A. WEIMER of Nebraska City.


Leaped to His Death - Crazed with morphine, a man supposed to be Thomas LUBY, aged about 40, leaped from the sixth story of the United States Hotel, at 123 Eddy Street, San Francisco, early yesterday morning, and received injuries that caused his death a few minutes later.


Lady Yarde-Buller Dead - Mrs. Leila Kirkham YARDE-BULLER, well known as Lady Yarde-Buller, died yesterday in Alameda County. She was the daughter of General KIRKHAM and inherited part of his fortune. She was declared mentally incompetent a few years ago and was confined in a sanitarium. Last week she was in Court endeavoring to be restored to capacity.


Venator Won - Ventaor, a 25 to 1 shot, upset calculations at Oakland yesterday by winning the six-furlong handicap from a good field. The track was muddy. There was a heavy plunge on Judge, and he ruled a strong favorite. He faltered in the final furlong, and Venator beat him handily. Favorite took three races.


The Eppinger Cases - Ex-Governor James BUDD appeared in the Superior Court at San Francisco yesterday in behalf of Jacob and Herman EPPINGER. The case went over until November 28th, to be set for trial.


Japanese Bonds - Subscriptions to the new Japanese loan have been taken by the Nevada National Bank to the amount of $1,250,000 and 2 per cent option has been offered to some of the successful bidders.


Finger Print System - Chief of Police WITTMAN has inaugurated the finger print system of identification in San Francisco to be used in conjunction with the Bertillon system, so that in the future there will be no possibility of a mistake or failure in identification.


False Arrest - Vindication and a verdict for $1000 yesterday brought a triumphant smile to the countenance of Octavine TABOR, who sued for $30,000 damages from the persons who had turned her over to a policeman on a false charge of stealing a watch. The defendants were Charles H. ROGERS, his sister, Teresa SHRINER, and her husband, George W. SHRINER, the two latter being proprietors of the Hotel Regina, in San Francisco, where Mrs. Tabor suffered her humiliation on January 31st last.


Insane From Worry - Martin LICHTENSTADTER, a deputy in the office of Collector of Internal Revenue John C. LYNCH, was removed to a private sanatorium yesterday for treatment of a mental disease. Lichtenstadter has been occupying a busy desk in the Collector’s office lately, and the various scandals there have upset his mind. He had been in the employ of the United States for three years, succeeding William DILLARD, who is now serving time in San Quentin. Revenue Agent Ben THOMAS stated yesterday that Lichtenstadter’s accounts were straight.


Proposed Consolidation - The much-talked-about consolidation of Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley under one County and City Government came to a head last evening in the formation and adoption of a definite plan by the Oakland merchants’ Exchange.


Small Tax Bills - Tax Collector E.J. SMITH yesterday sent to the Finance Committee of the Board of Supervisors at San Francisco a communication asking that action be taken to relieve his office of the collection of 21,294 tax bills, each of 2 cents or less, on unsecured personal property.


Sensational Suit - A sensational answer and cross-examination was filed yesterday in the suit recently brought by Tirey L. FORD, through an assignee against R.G. HANFORD, to recover $20,000 alleged to be due as a fee for legal services rendered the defendant. Hanford sets up the defense that the agreement under which payment for Ford’s services is demanded is unlawful and void, because at the time it was made Ford was Attorney-General of the State. He also accuses Ford of having violated the agreement between them. Ford declares that the charges in Hanford’s answer are malicious and untrue.


Thought It “A Crazy Will” - In the DOLBEER will case yesterday there was some cross-examination of Mrs. Elizabeth C. PHILLIPS in regard to the visits of the Johnsons to Mrs. Phillips. She said that she knew she might lose her $10,000, and yet she voluntarily saw Hiram JOHNSON, who told her that she would have to go on the stand. She had excluded all lawyers and reporters until Johnson came. She answered what she says were “strong questions” put to her by Johnson, in regard to Miss DOLBEER’s mental and physical state, and all this with no prospect of any making good of her loss by the contestants in case they won. She testified that she thought it was a crazy will, and she didn’t believe Miss Dolbeer made it.


May Be Insane - The woman who brought herself notoriety about two weeks ago by taking large bunches of violets to the Morgue to lay on the body of the unidentified Kanaka boy who was found dead at the beach with a bullet wound in his head was locked up at the Central Emergency Hospital in San Francisco, yesterday afternoon, to await examination as to her sanity. She is Mrs. Bertha CONNORS.


Dangerous Eye Disease - The United States authorities are afraid of a plague of trachoma an Oriental disease of the eyes. The last steamer from the Eastern coast, the Manchuria, brought eleven Japanese and six Chinese suffering from this disease, and the Marine Hospital surgeons, it is understood, have made a report to Washington advising quarantine against ports where this trouble is active. Trachoma is a disease which often results in total blindness.


Married in Haste - Bessie May HOWELL, who became the bride of Dr. Gardiner HOWELL on December 7th last, after a courtship of but a few days, was yesterday granted an interlocutory decree of divorce by Judge MELVIN in Oakland upon the ground of extreme cruelty.



Sacramento Evening Bee

Wednesday, November 16, 1904



Sons of First Marriage File Sensational Charges Against Offspring of Second Union

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), November 16 - Charles and Theodore HEINZ, sons by a former marriage, are contesting the will and testament of the late Lorenze Heinz, a pioneer settler of Yolo County, who died in this county a few months ago. His property, valued at about $60,000, was left to three children by a second marriage, August Heinz, Mr. Julia CASSELL and Lucia Heinz. The will is attacked on the grounds of intimidation and coercion of the father upon the parts of the proponents.

  The late Lorenze Heinz was married in 1862 to Carolina GREINER and by her had two sons, Charles and Theodore. The couple was divorced in 1870, the father being awarded the custody of Charles and the mother of Theodore. Within a year Mr. Heinz married again, his second wife being Lucy KUHNEL. Three children were the issue, those mentioned in the preceding paragraph as the proponents of the will. His second wife died in 1901 and the will was made in the same year, apparently after her death.

  It is alleged in the complaint that during her lifetime the late Mrs. Heinz resorted to many things to poison her husband against his children, Charles and Theodore, and that in this course her children assisted. Specific acts are alleged upon the part of Mrs. Heinz against Charles, who remained with his father after his second marriage, one of which is that she attacked him with a butcher knife; another that when he was ill she purposely delayed summoning a physician to care for him.

  After the death of the second Mrs. Heinz, it is alleged, the father became weak in mind and body, being than at an advanced age and suffering from grief attending his bereavement. In his condition he became an easier prey, it is alleged, for the designing children of the second marriage, who continued their systematic efforts to prejudice the mind of their parent against his sons, Charles and Theodore. It is alleged further that the late Mr. Heinz was addicted to the use of intoxicating liquor, which also had a tendency to weaken him mentally and physically.

  The trial is proceeding before a jury, which was secured early in the day, the following being sworn to try the cause: William BUTLER, L.H. TABER, A.C. BRAY, F.A. KAUFFMAN, Isaac McGREW, R.J. GIBSON, Thomas BOURN, Edwin WAUNSHOP, R.G. HATCH, Herman FREITAG, J.C. ALTPETER and Yuba CAVE.

  Witnesses were put upon the stand yesterday who testified that they had overheard quarrels between the late Mrs. Heinz and her husband’s son, Charles. These quarrels, it appears, extended as far back as thirty years ago.

  Mrs. John WOHLFROM testified to the decree of the Court in 1870 when the late Mr. Heinz and his first wife were divorced, the purpose of her testimony being to prove that his wife was awarded $4000, and his two sons, Charles and Theodore, $3000 each.

  The case will be continued to-day.



Officers Hard at Work on Bank Robbery Case - Prisoner Arraigned Yesterday -

Peculiar Interview - Sheriff Displeased

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 16 - Though everything seems to point to young Weber’s guilt in the bank robbery of last May no complaint had been sworn to early this morning and the officers have not signified what steps they will take. The report of the handwriting expert, declaring the manuscripts of Weber and the printed order presented at the bank by the robber to have been written by the same hands came as no surprise to those who had previously made a comparison of the two

 The matter by which the comparisons were made consists of drawings and specifications, which Weber made some time ago, and contain printed and longhand letters. The similarity of characteristics in the writings and the “bank check” are apparent in several ways, even to an untutored eye, and bear striking resemblances.

  Weber in all his writing gives a free use of commas, whether correct or not, and the punctuation of the “bank check” which the robber presented shows this same undue partiality. The shape and angle of the points are alike, too. The connecting strokes of his longhand letters are identical with those in the word “Gordon,” on the check which is the only word written thusly.

            Weber’s Manuscript

 The manuscripts of Weber deal with a supposed invasion of California by the Russians, and he has carefully detailed the positions and maneuvers of the two armies at different points in this vicinity. He explains the route and tactics to be followed by the Americans to rout the invaders. In another book he has many plans of dwelling houses, of various dimensions and arrangement, and it was from the names of these different rooms, which are made in printed letters, that the comparison of the “bank check” was made, and pronounced to have been written by one and the same hand.

  Those who saw the bank robber on the day of the robbery now say that Weber tallies in outward appearance to the robber, in respect to hight and build. Edgar McFADYEN, the cashier of the bank, who was in charge at the time of the robbery, is positive on these points. Mr. McFadyen has made a careful observation of Weber since his arrest and states that he has the same sharp features the robber had, and his movements are the same. The cashier is positive on these points, as when the robber entered the bank he had not pulled his disguise over the upper portion of his face. McFadyen was impressed with the features of the robber, which were large and sharp and, in fact, very uncommon.

  Weber’s claim that he carried his little brother out of the burning building will be rebutted by the testimony of four witnesses. The officers are confident that they have substantial evidence to break down the accused man’s explanation of his blood-stained garments.

            Weber Arraigned

  The holding of Weber’s arraignment yesterday was a surprise to many who had supposed this would not take place until after the inquest. His attorneys made the usual statutory demurrer, which was overruled, and his preliminary examination set for this morning at 10 o’clock. Confinement is telling on the accused, who looks pale and worn.

  His health, which is not robust, shows signs of the awful strain through which he is passing.

  He requested to see John STEINER yesterday, though there has never been any friendly relations between them. When the latter reached the jail, Weber asked the Under Sheriff to withdraw, as he wished to speak to Steiner privately.

  When the two were alone, Weber asked his visitor of the whereabouts of his son. Steiner replied that he was in the Hawaiian Islands. The prisoner thought a moment, and then said:

 “Did you know my sister was engaged to marry your son?’

  Steiner replied that he did not.

  “Well they were,” said Weber, “and my father was very much opposed to it.”

  It is evident from these remarks that Weber wants to make it appear that there was dissension in his family.

            The Two Crimes

  There are some who advance the theory that there is a connection between the two crimes under investigation. They argue that the young man’s parents were apprized in some way of the bank robbery and that in fear of exposure young Weber committed the horrible act that is laid to him.

  It hardly seems possible that the tall, slender youth, whose voice sounds almost effeminate, and would seem more fitting to a boy much less his years, could have committed such a deed. Even after his incarceration, the fear of “something” seems to possess the women folk of this city. No deed is yet upon record here that has put such a lasting pall upon the community.

  Weber’s bitterness toward those whom he considers his enemies has not abated even in the great trials he is overwhelmed with, and he is said to be strong in his expressions against them. His confinement is irksome to him and prevents him taking the exercise he would like. He cannot take the ordinary food, being afflicted with stomach trouble. Yesterday morning he asked for shredded biscuit and milk, which constituted his breakfast.

            Sheriff Displeased

   Sheriff Keena is somewhat displeased that many of the points to the cases have been given to the public, and announced to-day that no more news would be given out from his office.

  Although the report on the examination of Weber’s trousers, said to be blood-stained, has not been given out officially, from the tone and manner of the officials it is evident that the investigation has confirmed their suspicions. To a question as to what had been found on the garment one of the officials last night would not give a direct answer, but he refered to the fact that the suspicions had not been denied by any of the officers since the investigation, which is equal to an affirmative reply.          

  The complaint filed against Weber by the Sheriff charges him only with the murder of his mother, Mary Weber, the names of the other victims not being mentioned in the instrument.

            Preliminary Examination

 Adolph Weber has entertained strong hopes all along that he would be set free following the preliminary examination, but this morning, before he was taken into Court, he was visited by John ADAMS, his guardian, and told to make up his mind to the fact that he would have to answer in the Superior Court to the charge that had been brought against him. He received the announcement quietly.

  “I see by last night’s Bee,” said Mr. Adams this morning, “that I am quoted as saying the boy was not getting fair treatment. This is a mistake. What I did say was that I hoped he would be given a fair trial.”

  The prisoner ate a better breakfast than usual this morning. It consisted of cocoa, three boiled eggs and toast.

  The preliminary examination began promptly at 10 o’clock, Justice E.O. SMITH presiding. Weber appeared, escorted by Under Sheriff MAY and Deputy Sheriff DEPENDENER. He wore a black handkerchief around his neck, and shook hands with his attorney, Ben TABOR, when he entered.

  At the start-off, District Attorney ROBINSON announced that the evidence he expected to have the prisoner held on was purely circumstantial.

            On Stand This Morning

  Nothing new was developed by the witnesses examined up to noon. J.A. PREDOM, nozzleman of Hose Company No. 2 described the situation at the house as he found it, declaring positively that there was nothing to be seen on the kitchen floor when he reached it. Moses Predom, Foreman of Hose Company No. 2, set the time of the fire at 7:45. Like his brother, he saw nothing on the kitchen floor. C.H. MERROW, another fireman, told of seeing young Weber at the fire. Did not hear him say anything; he was being led away from the house when he saw him. Moses Predom also stated that he found the front gate closed. He could not say whether or not it was locked; a chain was over it.

  The opposing attorneys had quite a spat during the examination this morning. Attorney Tabor, for the prisoner, objected to a number of the questions asked by District Attorney Robinson, and the Court sustained him in several of them. This appeared to anger Mr. Robinson, who threatened to dismiss the case and go to some other Court. He contended that at a preliminary examination relevant and irrelevant questions could be asked. Judge Smith did not lose his temper at the criticisms. He said he had no desire to hamper the case, but that certain questions could not be allowed. Tabor was quite sarcastic in his reply to Robinson.

  The preliminary examination probably will last several days. This morning very slow progress was made. Two days will be consumed, if not three. The inquest will come up tonight.

  Young Weber watched the proceedings very closely this morning, and appeared to be especially interested in a diagram of his father’s house that was submitted to the Court.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 16 - The only development in the timber land frauds yesterday was that a large number of people came up from Cottonwood and Anderson on the morning train to make application for timber lands with the idea of selling out to H.W .MILLER. Each came with the requisite $36 to start the deal, but when they learned that Miller was in jail, having been arrested on a warrant sworn to by a special agent of the Land Department, the people left for their homes on the next train and took their money and experience with them.

  Miller and BOREN were taken before Justice of the Peace BUSH. They could not raise the $1000 bail required and were remanded to jail.

  Miller objects to being confined in jail on the ground that he has a family in Oregon. He also objects to having to eat with a spoon, no knives and forks being supplied the prisoners. The Sheriff told him that he might eat with his fingers if he preferred.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 16 - Seldom have there been so many engagements announced of prominent young society people as have been made public this week. Three young men of Redding will soon be married and each of them goes outside Redding to choose his bride. The young men are socially prominent.

  Professor Frank T. SWEENEY, Principle of the Redding schools for two years, coming here from Solano County, announces his engagement to Miss Maud ALYS, of Cordelia, Solano County. He does not name the wedding day, but it will be in the near future.

  Dudley V. SAELTZER, son of Reed M. Saeltzer, of the McCormick-Saeltzer Company, smilingly announces that he is engaged to marry Miss Florence M. SENGER, of Berkeley, daughter of Dr. G.H. Senger, Associate Professor of German at the State University. The young people became acquainted while attending the University, which is a great match-making institution.  Their marriage is set for early next Spring.

  Charles THOMPSON, of this city, and Miss Mabel HEAD, of Vacaville, not only make public their engagement but say that they will be married at Vacaville on December 27th and take up their residence in San Francisco. Mr. Thompson is a young man of fine character and a very popular Native Son.


RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), November 16 - A Grand Jury will be drawn this month to consider various cases that will be brought before it. The political feud which has been going on during the greater part of the past Summer between the District Attorney’s office and other county officials may come up for some discussion; whether officially or otherwise, cannot be predicted. 

  The slot machines doubtless will be given some attention, and in anticipation of this it is understood that many saloonkeepers will remove the devices from their places of business. District Attorney M.G .GILL contends that it is the duty of Sheriff J.W. BOYD to remove the machines, and the latter claims that is the work of the county legal advisor to initiate the campaign. The situation is the same as outlined in The Bee some months ago, that one “dassent” and the other is afraid to. So the wheels go merrily round, while the report of the preceding Grand Jury is safely filed away in the Court House archives.

  The death of the late B.F. HILL, who received a blow on the head causing him to hit the sidewalk with such force that his skull was fractured, will probably be brought to the attention of the jury, although the Coroner’s Jury held that the blow was not struck in anger or with the intention to do any bodily harm.



REDDING (Shasta Co.), November 16 - Jack BRADY the teamster who was killed at Watson Gulch Monday evening, as told in yesterday’s Bee, by the overturning of a load of hay, had relatives in the section tributary to Marysville, it is said, but just where it is not known. 

  The Coroner of Shasta County is anxious to hear from them in order to determine what disposition to make of the body, which was brought to this place yesterday.

  Brady lay under the weight of the wagon, the hay and three horses nearly twenty-four hours before his body was extricated from the mass. One arm and one leg were broken and he was otherwise injured.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 16 - Because an important witness for the prosecution has been found since the preliminary examination of John Joseph POWER, charged with  burglary, took place last week, the first information was dismissed in the Superior Court yesterday, in order that there may be another preliminary hearing. This time the testimony of the new witness, a bird of passage, will be heard and then his deposition will be taken, which will allow him to go where he will, and also exempt the city from taking care of him, and relieve the county of the liability of paying him $2 a day witness fees until the time of trial, which he can legally demand.

  Powers is the man who raided the pockets of a benefactor in the room of one of the hotels. There is now a strong case against him, which is reinforced by the new witness’ evidence. He was arrested in Yuba City.



MARYSVILLE (Yuba Co.), November 16 - The California Northern District Medical Society, before adjourning yesterday, elected the following officers to serve for the ensuing year:

 President, Dr. J.D. DAMERON, of Stockton; First Vice-President, J.H. PARKINSON, Sacramento; Second Vice-President, J.J. HOGAN, Vallejo; Third Vice-President, J.L.  WHITE, Sacramento; Secretary, Elmer E. STONE, Napa; Treasurer, O. STANSBURY, Chico; Board of Censors W.E. BRIGGS, E.W. TWITCHELL, W.E. BATES John FIFE and E.W. HANLON.

  Vallejo was chosen as the meeting place for 1905, the annual session to be held on the second Tuesday in May.

  At last evening’s session Dr. E.W. WILDER, of Sacramento, and Dr. C.W. LUND, of Wheatland, were elected members.

  Governor PARDEE sent a letter regretting his inability to attend this meeting.



GEORGETOWN (El Dorado Co.), November 16 - Adolph SCHLUESCHEN, a young man about 24 years of age, attempted to kill his aunt, Mrs. Lizzie WOOLEY, in this place, early Sunday morning.

  Schlueschen, who was under the influence of liquor, had a quarrel with his aunt over money matters and attempted to shoot her with a rifle. Seeing what he was about to attempt, Mrs. Wooley ran into an adjoining room. Schlueschen fired at her, the ball from the rifle lodging in the door casing.

  Word was sent to the officers. Justice of the Peace HERSEY was the first to arrive on the scene. Schlueschen cocked his rifle and pointed it at the Judge, but he did not shoot. At this stage of the trouble Deputy Constable COOK arrived and Schlueschen was disarmed and placed under arrest.

  Later in the day District Attorney PETERS came over from Placerville and Schlueschen had his preliminary hearing, which resulted in holding him to answer before the Superior Court. His bond was placed at $500. Failing to procure bondsmen he was taken to Placerville and placed in the County Jail.

Submitted by Betty Loose




Sacramento Evening Bee

Thursday, November 17, 1904



WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), November 17 - Camp Kenzie, No. 11, United Spanish War Veterans, was instituted here last night by Adjutant J. ALEXANDER, of Sacramento Camp. There are twenty charter members and W.R. JACKSON is Commander. After the installation of the officers there was a banquet at which the members of the new camp had for their guests the members of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Ladies’ Relief Corps.

  The officers are as follows: W.R. JACKSON, Commander; A.J. BARNES, Senior Vice-Commander; Will LUCK, Junior Vice-Commander; D.B. BIDWELL, Adjutant; William METTENRY, Chaplain; Will VORHEES, Quartermaster; David SCHOLTZ, Officer of the Guard; W.H. BRISCOE, Officer of the Day.



CHICO (Butte Co.), November 17 - Although it looked yesterday as if the jury in the case of The People against Dr. Wah Hing, the Chinese physician who was arrested at the instance of the Butte County medical Society and accused for practicing without a license, would bring in a verdict of guilty, such was not the case. When the jurymen filed back into the Court-room yesterday afternoon, it was to announce that they had been unable to reach a verdict. It was later learned that seven voted for conviction and five for acquittal.

  The report to The Bee was sent in after the testimony had been taken and at the beginning of the arguments. For the aged Chinaman, Attorney Jo. D. SPROUL of this city made a most earnest and effective plea to the jury not to find the man guilty, and it is presumed that his argument did much to hang the jury. It will be necessary to try the case again.



WILLOWS (Glenn Co.), November 17 - Ike Skidmore, a local resident who was arrested several days ago on suspicion of being connected with the burglarizing of the saloon at Newville, has been discharged by order of Justice LUCE. The Justice did not consider the evidence strong enough to bind him over to the Superior Court. About $160 was taken from the safe and evidently the robbers made good their escape, for with the discharge of Skidmore the officers are entirely in the dark. It is probable that this was committed by the same gang that appeared in Tehama a few days ago.



GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), November 16 - Marshal DEEBLE has commenced a war on gambling in this city. His first proclamation is to the effect that the turkey raffle must go. The saloonmen have made considerable money out of this game for many years past, but as yet none has started to run, and it looks as though the orders of the Marshal were to be obeyed. The order is said to have grown out of the antagonism of several saloonkeepers to Mr. Deeble’s candidacy before election. Some of them made an open fight against him, and they look upon the order against gambling as a retaliatory measure.



GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), November 16 - Ralph Kirkham BLAIR, a son of Lady YEARD-BULLER, who died on Tuesday, and who is heir to the $100,000 estate left him by his mother, recently gave up a position as a mucker in one of the mines in this city. While here he was the recipient of several checks from his mother’s attorneys, and he lost no time in getting rid of the coin. It is thought by some of his friends that he will be as liberal with his new fortune as was his mother.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 17 - President Roosevelt will soon have a chance to sample some of Superior California’s oranges. Mr. and Mrs. E.B. WARD, upon the request of the Sacramento Valley Development Association, have just picked a box of delicious navels which will be presented to the President on his visit to the St. Louis Exposition.



COLUSA (Colusa Co.), November 17 - Walker CAIN, a former well-known resident of this place, was brought here from San Francisco yesterday, suffering severely from burns received in that city while at work in a candy factory. He and another employe were engaged in emptying a barrel of hot syrup when the contents were spilled upon them.



LODI (San Joaquin CO.), November 17 - The saloonmen and their vigorous opponents, the Anti-Saloon League, are in a battle royal at present anent (sic) the much-mooted question of whether a new firm is to be granted a liquor license, and whether a man now engaged in selling liquor may transfer his place of business and still continue in the vocation.

  According to the members of the League, every man now established in that business here may continue in business, but he cannot sell his business and the new owners secure a license.

  C.M. RUSSILL is going to vacate his location and move down the street, and in so doing may lose his license. Keagle & Smith, a new firm, have rented the building formerly occupied by Russill, and it is said that they will not secure a liquor license. So this ruling means one saloon less for Lodi.

  The present Board of Supervisors is friendly to the temperance people, and it was only a few months ago that the most stringent liquor ordinance was drawn up. The new law requires that the saloonman must obtain more names of qualified voters than the League, but the number is not stated.

  So, if this regime continues, Lodi, in time to come, will be a “dry town” in a legitimate way, and the number of drug stores will be augmented by several.


            MAY LOSE LICENSE

COLUSA (Colusa Co.), November 17 - Tim MULDOWNEY, proprietor of the Eureka Hotel in this place, may lose his license to conduct a saloon in that building or anywhere else in the town, for that matter. He is accused of grossly abusing his wife and this morning was placed under bonds to keep the peace. His conduct aroused considerable resentment upon the part of the public.



COLUSA (Colusa Co.), November 17 - While cutting brush Tuesday at his ranch a few miles from this place, John CHENEY, aged 84, and owner of the Golden Eagle Hotel in this city, fell down an embankment into a slough. His hip was broken and he was otherwise so seriously injured it is not believed, considering his age, that he will recover.



CHICO (Butte Co.), November 17 - Reports have reached here this morning that fishermen on the Sacramento near Chico Landing and at the mouth of Big Chico Creek are now using four inch mesh nets instead of seven and a half as the law provides. It is also said that fish heads and refuse have been thrown upon the banks of the river and creek and that the stench is becoming intolerable. The authorities will investigate.



CHICO (Butte Co.), November17 - Samuel McClain, who was reported missing, and for whose safety grave fears were expressed, is alive and well. At present he is on the road between Oroville and Quincy following his usual business. The fear was expressed that he might have driven off some steep mountain road to his death, as he had not been seen or heard of here for some time.



SUISUN (Solano Co.), November 17 - The Vallejo Gas Light Company has filed a petition for dissolution in the Superior Court. The Company was organized and incorporated in 1867. S.J. McKNIGHT is President. G.W. WILSON, Secretary, and D. BROSNAHAN, T.J. O’HARA and J.J. McDONALD Directors. This move on the part of the Company indicates a change in the lighting facilities of Vallejo, and the rumor is that the Bay Counties Power Company is interested in the matter.


I will continue the business of my late husband, Dr. F.F. TEBBETS, at 705 J. Street. Mrs. May Stanley Tebbets.



Institution’s Officials Emphatically Deny the Report - Arrest and Release of Sacramento Suspect -

The Inquest and Preliminary Examination

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 17 - Vice-President D.W. LUBECK and Cashier A.L. SMITH, of the Bank of Placer County, when questioned this morning by your correspondent in pursuance of wire instruction, emphatically denied the story told by The Bee to the effect that the father of Adolph Weber had made good to the institution which they represent the loss occasioned by the robbery of last Summer, when a masked man secured a sum exceeding $5000 from the bank and escaped down the Newcastle road with his plunder.

  Readers of The Bee are now familiar with the fact that Adolph Weber is suspected of the robbery of the Bank of Placer County, but it will come as a surprise to them that the information has been given out by one in a position to know what he is talking about, to the effect that not only did young Weber commit the crime but that his father learned of it and made good the theft.

   Cashier Smith was very pleasant and expressed a willingness to tell all he knew about the robbery. He was very emphatic in his denial of the story that Julius Weber had made good the loss suffered by his institution, and added that no such arrangement could have been made with the bank without his knowledge. Vice-President Lubeck was equally as positive. He said he wished the loss had been made up.

  While Mr. Smith did not say in so many words it seems plain that he suspects young Weber of the robbery. His conversation indicated this all through. Mr. Lubeck has not been inclined to share this view, but he seems now to be coming around to it. He did not say so, but that was the impression his remarks made. The officers are still busy on the case, and the impression is that they are in a fair way to gain more positive proof that Adolph Weber committed the bank robbery than that he killed the four members of his family.

  Constable W.F. DEPENDENER went to Sacramento last night to take into custody and bring here for examination a man by the name of Dan HENRY, who was placed under arrest in the Capital City for pretending to have a knowledge of how the Webers were killed. He intimated, it is said, that he could prove that Adolph committed the unnatural crime.

  After the Constable had thrown a few beers into the fellow, while they were on their way to this place, he admitted that he knew nothing of the tragedy and that all he sought in making the talk he did in Sacramento was a free ride to Auburn. It has been learned that Henry was in Colfax on the 8th and 9th, where he registered at the Mountain View Hotel. He came here on the 10th. He is a peddler and a beggar, and was seen soliciting alms while in Auburn.



Mrs. E.C. Snowden, Prisoner’s Aunt, Gives Positive Testimony

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 17 - The first day of the Weber examination was not fruitful of anything new. But the crowds did not diminish nor does the case lag in interest; if anything, people are more absorbed than ever in the gruesome topic. There were almost as many women as men present at yesterday’s proceedings, and a large number of students and former class mates of Weber’s looked in to hear the case.

  J.G. BISBEE was called to the stand at the afternoon session of the hearing as the first witness. He stated that it was exactly eighteen minutes to 8 by the watch when the fire alarm sounded on the night of the fire.

  Mrs. E.C. Snowden, aunt of the accused, her husband and niece, were present as spectators.

  Dr. R.F. ROONEY was the second witness and gave a detailed statement as to the wounds found upon the bodies and the bullets extracted from the bodies of Mrs. Weber and her daughter.

  Ed. H. ELDER was among the first to arrive on the scene of the fire. He saw Mrs. Snowder. Noticed Adolph Weber at the northwest corner of the building. Witness asked Adolph if there was any one in the house. The latter replied that he did not know. Witness noticed an indifference in his manner, which attracted his attention at the time. Witness next saw Adolph throw the bundle containing his old pants through the window. Did not notice the accused again until about ten minutes later when he saw him sitting under a tree a short distance from the house where he was having a wounded hand dressed. Did not hear the prisoner make any remark about getting any of his folks out of the house.

  Adolph watched the witness closely and made frequent whispered suggestions to his attorney. The first exhibition of his temper yesterday was during the testimony of George RUTH. Ruth was describing how he picked up the body of Earl Weber and passed it to George GEAR. Weber claims to have taken his little brother out, and Ruth’s statement riled him.

  Adolph jumped to his feet and began to speak, but was pulled back into his chair by his attorney who induced him to remain silent and not interrupt the witness. Ruth, however, was not positive that it was Gear to whom he passed the murdered child.

  Guy LUKENS, First Assistant Foreman of Hose Company No. 1, described the part he took in removing the bodies from the house. Witness met Adolph Weber on his way to the fire and he inquired where the fire was. Lukens told him it was his (Weber’s) house. Witness did not know whether he arrived at the fire before or after Weber, as they had taken different routes. He did not see Weber again in or about the scene of the fire.

  Lukens and his companions were the first to enter the room where the bodies were found; had effected an entrance by smashing in the window with a chair. The room was so dark that he did not at first observe the prostrate forms on the floor but stumbled on to them. When questioned whether there was light enough around him to recognize his companions, witness replied that it was quite dark, but he was not aware of the presence of any one in the room but himself, Ruth, Campbell and Merrow. Witness noticed no unusual heat in the room at this time as the fire was some distance away.


 The prosecution has charged Weber with the murder of only one of the victims, and is holding the other three in reserve, which with the bank robbery and the pending complaint, makes five charges which Adolph Weber may be confronted with .

  Among the rumors and theories here yesterday the latest one which is to the effect that others beside Weber may be implicated in the charge before long. Just how much foundation this theory has no one seems able to say, but it is among the current comment on the trial.

  Adolph’s bank book was yesterday delivered by Coroner Shepard to the young man’s guardian, John Adams. The book shows $930 in bank to the young man’s credit, placed there by his father, Julius Weber, in 1903. It has been learned since the tragedy that the elder Weber provided bank accounts for each individual member of his family, placing a certain amount to the credit of each one.

  The missing will, which was drawn by Attorney Ben P. Tabor, some eight years ago, is one of the puzzling problems on which the officers have been working. Whether its bequests are known cannot be learned, but a diligent search has been in progress several days and Public Administrator Shepard, who was appointed special administrator of the estate, has about given up all hopes of recovering the document.

  The announcement that startling testimony would be given at last night’s inquest brought over 500 people out, and the Court-room was never before crowded to such an extent. No startling testimony; in fact, no testimony at all, was given touching the disappearance of the will.

  The story of Mrs. E.C. Snowden was listened to uninterruptedly, as she detailed relationships about the Weber home and it inmates. Between Mr. and Mrs. Weber and their children there has always existed affectionate regard for one another, and the only unpleasantness, which the elder Weber ever caused, was by his quick temper. Witness never knew him to threaten anyone. Weber loved his family and was generous to his children. On the day of the fire, Mrs. Snowden met her sister, they being near neighbors. While the witness was at her sister’s house Adolph came home and his mother requested him to get her some meat at a butcher shop. Adolph was surly and non-communicative and refused to comply with the request.

            Mother Feared Adolph

 His mother had complained to witness about Adolph, saying his conduct was so mean and hateful that it grieved her greatly, and that she was afraid he might kill her some day.

  “My folks,” she said, speaking of the tragedy, “had come in as soon as they heard of the fearful accident. My niece was with them and Adolph had been fond of her and came over as soon as he heard she was there. The first thing he said to me was: ‘How are the folks?’

  “ ‘Why,’ I said, ‘they are all dead, Dolphy.’

  “ ‘Why,’ he said, ‘how did that happen?’

  “ ‘Dolphy,’ I said, looking at him, ‘you know how it happened better than I or any one else.’

  “Then he displayed a clipping from a newspaper and said he has come over to show it to my niece, and he gave her the piece to read. Then he turned around and shook his fist at me and said: ‘You are responsible for this piece, and I want you to swear out a warrant for my arrest right away. I want you to go right away and do it. Do it, I tell you.’ Again he shook his fist right in front of me and close to my mouth and said: ‘Your turn is coming next.’ Everybody in the room heard him say that, and there were several there, and they all know the exact words he used - ‘You turn is coming next.’

  “My brother said to me, ‘You must not go around alone while that boy is around. While he is at liberty I will keep close to you and keep watch on him, for he is dangerous.’ That was the only time he ever cautioned me, though he had been very angry with me ever since he came back from San Francisco. It was his mother and sister, Bertha, who feared him most.

  “His mother loved him and she worried for fear he would arouse his father’s passion to a point where his father would give way to his anger, but she was chiefly afraid that Dolph would do some terrible thing himself. The very day before the fire she said to me, ‘Dolph is so hateful and stubborn that I am always afraid something will happen, and he is so ugly at times that I am afraid of him. I am always afraid he will do some terrible thing.’”

   Young Weber had been angry with the witness for several months, the ill-feeling arising form a trivial matter. The last time witness saw Julius Weber on the day of the fire was about 5 p.m. He was in a congenial mood.

            Afraid of Nephew

 When the fire was discovered, Mrs. Snowden ran to the Weber home expecting to see her people in the yard. When she arrived there Chris Henry was the only person in sight. Witness became frantic with fright, and was restrained from rushing into the flames in search of the Webers. Shortly after she saw the bodies of her people carried out, but did not see Adolph.

  Young Weber had been cross and sullen to his family, though why he should feel hard toward them the Webers never knew.

  Mrs. Snowden said she was afraid of her nephew, and after the tragedy she wanted an interview with him to convince herself of his guilt or innocence. When she charged him with the crime he was defiant.

  After the first publication of his being suspected he visited his aunt and became highly incensed, charging her with being responsible for the publication. He dared her to have him arrested, and left her in a threatening manner, saying to her.

  “Your time will come next.”

  The witness was asked if there was any one she knew but Adolph whom she had any reason for suspecting of the crime. “No, if I didn’t think Adolph guilty I wouldn’t say so,” replied the witness. Mrs. Weber had expressed her fears to witness that Adolph’s vicious disposition would result disastrously. The mother had a dread of her son’s ugly temper.

Mrs. Snowden was asked if she positively believed that Adolph Weber had murdered his people, and in a clear voice she declared that she firmly believed him guilty.

  During this statement the crowd sat silent, listening, and her emphatic declaration caused murmurings from all parts of the room.

   A.B. SELLOWS fixed the time of the fire at 6:40, which agrees with the hour the telephone operator noticed the call on the Weber line.

  Little Frances Snowden told of her visit to the Weber home on the evening of the tragedy, as has been described in The Bee already.

            Weber’s Strange Questions

 John Adams, young Adolph’s guardian, when asked if the boy had ever expressed a desire to have the murderer of his family brought to justice, replied that he had, but on being further questioned admitted that Adolph had only so expressed himself upon being asked the question.

  One of the most startling features of the inquest was the introduction by Mr. Adams of a letter he had received from his ward since the latter’s arrest. It was handed to Juror Ivan H. PARKER and by him read aloud, as follows:

 “If a person had murdered his father, would he leave his brother alive? Earl was not shot; Would he be left to tell on him?”

  “If a person murdered his family, leaving his brother unshot, would he rescue that brother from death to tell on him?”

  “If a person in possession of his wits had murdered his family, would he leave the bodies in a room where there was no fire?”

  “If he had set the house on fire to cover the crime, would he not leave the bodies in the flames to burn?”

  This document Adams testified was given to him by Adolph, who had requested Deputy Sheriff William I. May to give him a pencil and paper and permit him to write a statement. Adams requested and advised Adolph not to write anything of the sort, but the boy insisted. The document is interesting because it shows that the boy firmly believes that he actually carried the body of little Earl out of the burning building. It has been shown by absolute proof that he did not do this, yet he sticks to his claim and seems absolutely assured of the truth of it.

  Adrian WELLS, young Weber’s steady friend, told of the prisoner’s movements on the night of the fire, following the discovery of the bodies. He took Weber to his home, but the latter was in a very excited state and insisted upon going back to the scene of the tragedy.

  The continuance of the preliminary hearing this morning was not interesting and nothing of importance was brought out. The witnesses examined told only what the public is familiar with.

Submitted by Betty Loose




Sacramento Evening Bee

Friday, November 18, 1904



Hopes Against Hope That Boy Is Innocent - Prisoner Not Disconcerted at Inquest’s Verdict of Guilty - Juryman Interviewed.

AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 18 - Satisfaction is expressed by the local public in the verdict rendered by the Coroner’s Jury last night in the Weber tragedy to the effect that Adolph Weber killed his parents and his brother and sister. Developments since the night of the crime have only served to strengthen the suspicion felt regarding him on the day following the discovery of the dead bodies.

  The Jury no doubt felt as do the people. One of the members of that body in discussing the verdict this morning with The Bee’s correspondent said that, in his opinion, the feature which caused the positive declaration to be made by the Jury that young Weber had killed his family was the number of lies which Adolph had told concerning minor details. These lies, said the juryman, had been proved and he could not see why they had been told, as, in his opinion, they could not have been of especial advantage to the young man even if they had not been discovered. In summing up the time in which the crime was committed your correspondent’s informant said the evidence showed that the killing had been done in a very short space of time.

            Weber Hears of Verdict

 Young Weber took the news of the verdict very quietly. He was not present in the room, nor was his attorney at last night’s session. The prisoner does not appear to attach particular importance to the action of the jury. He no doubt discounted it, and probably expects a similar verdict to be rendered as a result of the preliminary examination. As told in The Bee a day or two ago, Adolph’s guardian, John ADAMS, warned the boy not to nurse the hope that he would be acquitted by the Justice’s jury, and he appears to have schooled himself to face the worst.

  His demeanor is certainly remarkable, especially in one so young, and is a constant source of wonder to the officers. While many are prepared to consider him insane, there are others who do not, and expert opinion has been expressed to the effect that the boy has an abnormally developed but in no sense a defective brain.

  The supposition is that once the crime of murder has been fastened upon the prisoner, his attorneys will plead insanity in extenuation of the awful crime. But, of course, neither the defendant nor his lawyers are willing to admit at the present stage of the investigation that young Weber is guilty.

  In justice to Weber, it should be said that he is not without friends in this community, and that several of his relatives show a disposition to stand by him. Yesterday Miss Bertha HESS, the cousin whom the boy has always appeared fond of, greeted him in open Court in an affectionate manner, and in addition August GEIGER and family, of Sacramento, are here to show their sympathy for the prisoner, who is related to them. In opposition to this display of cousinly aid, however, is to be placed the attitude of Mrs. E.C. SNOWDEN, an aunt of the prisoner, and also of Mrs. Charles HESS, of Sonoma, who bears out much of the testimony given by Mrs. Snowden, her sister.

            John Adams Talks

  Adolph’s guardian, John Adams, was interviewed this morning for The Bee, and spoke as follows:

 “I can hardly believe Adolph is guilty of this terrible crime, although at present things look pretty black for the boy. I have not tried to shield him. I told him frankly the other day that if he was guilty I wanted to see him hanged.

  “Adolph,” continued Mr. Adams, “has been a peculiar boy ever since I have known him. He has a most extraordinary disposition. He was 20 years of age on the 14th of last month.”

  Continuing, Mr. Adams said he had been requested by Adolph to act as his guardian, but that he had not consented to do so until he had consulted with the boy’s relatives and had received their consent.

 Some time ago, said Mr. Adams, young Weber had come to him to rent a ranch of his on the Newcastle Road. He asked the boy if he had consulted with his father about the matter. Adolph said he had not, and was advised to do so before making arrangements. Mr. Adams gave this incident to illustrate the young man’s way of doing things.

  Mr. Adams has applied to the Court to be appointed administrator of the Weber estate. Coroner Shepard is now acting in that capacity. It will be some time, probably a week, before the change can be made, if it is decided to supplant Mr. Shepard.

            Those Detectives

 The detectives employed on the case by the Coroner are to receive their pay out of the estate, it is said, and the friends of young Weber do not think it is fair to use what is now practically his property in an attempt to send him to the gallows.

  Word from San Francisco is to the effect that the expert employed by the Sheriff to examine the pieces of cloth supposed to have been portions of young Weber’s trousers, and to have been discolored by blood, has failed to prove the suspicion.

  District Attorney Robinson’s voice has pretty near failed him, and to-day his assistant, Attorney LOWELL, will take the lead in conducting the preliminary examination. It is not believed that any testimony of importance will be brought out to-day. The story, so far as the witnesses can tell it, has been pretty well told, and the public is familiar with it. Mrs. Snowden probably will go on the stand to-day, but it is not thought she will give anything additional to what she made public at the inquest.



AUBURN (Placer Co.), November 18 - The second day of the Weber preliminary examination was no more fruitful of direct evidence than the first, and at the close of the proceedings last night it was not possible to say how long it will be before the inquiry is finished.                 

  The defendant’s manner is not changed and if anything he was more easy than the day before. He was undisturbed by the evidence given. Only once did he show any signs of being moved by what was passing around him and this was when reference was made by one of the witnesses in seeing the body of his little brother being carried from the building. Weber drew a white handkerchief from his pocket and wiped his eyes. The emotion was but momentary, and was scarcely noticeable, except to those who were sitting close to him.

  The startling testimony of Mrs. Snowden at the Wednesday inquest is the much-discussed subject. The Snowdens are old and respected residents, and in high standing in the community. While they are deeply grieved over the whole sad affair, they have given unhesitatingly their honest convictions, even though it has cast within the shadow of the gallows one of their own flesh and blood. Mrs. Snowden’s manner upon the witness stand impresses her hearers with the truthfulness of her statements. She appears entirely unbiased even with an affair that has robbed her of a dearly beloved sister, and not once in her testimony, either by tone or manner, did she display any prejudice.

  Mrs. Snowden was to have been called in the preliminary yesterday, but her testimony was deferred until to-day.

  The attorneys got along comparatively peaceably yesterday, although several minor tilts occurred. Attorney Tabor interposed several strenuous objections to the irrelevance of some of the testimony and called the Court’s attention to his former position in this regard. He stated to Judge Smith that while ordinary Justices did not possess a technical knowledge of law, His Honor presiding was an exception, being a fully qualified practitioner, and he hoped he would consider his rulings in the same strict and careful manner that a Superior Judge would, as the same law that governed the trial held good in the preliminary.

            Attorney Tabor’s Objections

 Tabor’s grounds of objecting to incompetent testimony was that in case of the death of a witness before the trial, his preliminary testimony could be introduced into the trial, and he demurred against these errors going up on record, merely because the District Attorney desired it. This caused a short set-to between the attorneys. District Attorney Robinson retorted that it was not his desire to have any false or incompetent testimony in the case in order to fix the guilt upon his opponent’s client.

  “I have no desire to fix the guilt upon this defendant, unless he deserves it, but as District Attorney I have a right to bring these matters out at a preliminary. And as preliminary testimony they are not irrelevant.”

  George CAMPBELL was the first witness. He had not been close to the fire, and his statements of the affair were brief. His brother, William CAMPBELL, did not hear any one say that the defendant had rescued any of the bodies of his family.

  Tony NEVES assisted Adrian WILLS in leading Adolph Weber away from the fire to the Wills home. He had heard no remarks about Weber dragging bodies partially out of the house.

  “Did Adolph Weber mention his little brother that night in your presence, or refer to him in any way?” he was asked.

  The witness replied, “No.”

            The Night of the Fire

 Lincoln MERROW, who watched over young Weber the night of the fire, after he had been taken to the Wills home, told of the defendant’s actions while there. He noticed no unusual excitement about him, excepting that his breathing was somewhat short.  Weber had told him that the action of his heart was not good. Witness had accompanied Weber and Wills on a short walk after the fire. Weber wanted to go and look at the ruins of his home. He did not ask the witness about his folks, or where they were. At the brewery, near the Weber home, the defendant had telephoned to the Snowden house and asked how his mother was.

  During the night after the three had returned to the Wills’ home, the defendant was restless and did not sleep long. Merrow and Wills avoided the subject of defendant’s people, as they did not want to harrow up his feelings unnecessarily. Defendant’s hand was wounded and had been bandaged up, a small stain of blood showing on the bandage.

  Witness had assisted Weber in bed but did not notice any signs of rock or ashes upon his shoes. The bedroom was darkened and witness saw no other blood stains on defendant’s clothes.

  The next morning Willis and the witness took the defendant to breakfast. Nothing was said about the fire. After breakfast defendant and his companions visited the Snowden home, but only the defendant went in, the other two staying outside. He seemed somewhat downcast when he came out, but did not say anything about what had been said in the house. Only comment witness heard Weber make was that it was strange his family could not get out.

            District Attorney Talks

 Chris HENRY, who was the first to discover the fire and spread the alarm, said that the gate at the Weber house was locked when he arrived. He also found all the doors and windows locked.

   Adrian WILLS and Clifford PREDOM were examined along the common points of the case.

  The Court then adjourned until to-day. The District Attorney could not tell last night how many more witnesses he might introduce, although he said he did not expect to call many more. The prosecuting officer is sure that the defendant will be held, and the prevailing opinion is that this will undoubtedly follow. Mr. Robinson relies on the law which provides that a defendant may be held where a reasonable suspicion exists.

  “I think we have established more than a reasonable suspicion,” he said to The Bee’s correspondent, “and there is no question in my mind as to the outcome of this examination.”

  “What do you think of the rumor about Julius Weber’s reported settlement with the bank for the robbery attributed to his son?” he was asked.

  “I do not take any stock in the story. I have seen the bank officials about it, and they have given me their personal assurance that it is untrue, and I believe them.”

  The rumor that the bank had compromised with Weber was the cause of considerable excitement here yesterday.

  A great many questions have been asked as to why the Coroner’s inquiry has been made so prolonged after the defendant had been formally charged. The jury desired to make every possible research in hopes to render a direct verdict charging the guilty party.

            The Verdict

 Under Sheriff William I. MAY, Mrs. Charles Hess, and Miss Bertha Hess were the final witnesses, the latter two corroborating Mrs. Snowden’s testimony as to Weber’s threat against her, when he said:

 “Your time is coming next.”

  Both women testified the former’s statements in an emphatic manner.

  The Under Sheriff gave graphic details of occurrences at the fire. He, like the other witnesses, saw nothing of Adolph Weber when the bodies of the Webers were being taken out. George RUTH had handed the little boy through the window to him. Was positive that it was not Adolph Weber. Although great confusion prevailed and men and women were running and screaming frantically about, witness was positive of his assertions.

  The evidence was finished at 9 o’clock and the case given to the jury for a verdict. It has been the opinion that the Coroner’s Jury would find only a simple verdict of death at unknown hands. The jury, however, fixes the guilt of the crime, as near as it can upon Adolph Weber, in the following verdict:

 “We, the jury, find that Julius Weber, Mrs. Mary Weber, and Miss Bertha Weber came to their death by bullet wounds believed by the jury to have been inflicted by Adolph J. Weber; the other, Earl, by a bruise in the head inflicted by a blunt instrument and by suffocation.”

  F.J. STEVENS, M.J. COHN, T. JAMES, W.T. CROSBY, Ivan H. PARKER, R.M. WHALEY, J.G. McLAUGHLIN, J.E. WALSH and Robert WAUGH composed the jury.



Valuable Property Changes Hands For Figure In the Neighborhood of $30,000

GRASS VALLEY (Nevada Co.), November 18 - One of the biggest mining deals that have been consummated in this section took place yesterday when the Gold Blossom Mine was sold by Richard E. JEFFREY to John M. THOMAS, Fred J. THOMAS and P.T. BENNETT, the latter of San Francisco. The actual price at which the property was sold has not been made public, but it is known to be in excess of $30,000.

  The mine was located by Mr. Jeffrey in 1893, and since that time he has spent several thousand dollars on development work and machinery. Much dead work was done, but in spite of it all Jeffrey was several thousand dollars ahead when the offer to buy was made to him.

  Jeffrey has been unusually fortunate in mining speculation. Some years ago he bought a home for $1200, and a few weeks later he sold the mineral rights under it, not including the surface, for $3000. Everything he touches seems to turn to gold.

  The Gold Blossom is rich in gold. Only a few weeks ago the owner brought in a sack of ore which he had taken from the tunnel and the yellow metal was sticking out of it on all sides. It is believed that Mr. Jeffrey may go to San Francisco and engage in the automobile business. He recently built one in his own workshop, and uses it constantly.

  The new owners of the Gold Blossom are men of considerable wealth, and will develop the mine on an extensive scale.



Efforts to Break Father’s Will By Sons of First Marriage Unsuccessful

WOODLAND (Yolo Co.), November 18 - The Heinz will contest case came to a sudden and unexpected end yesterday when Judge GADDIS granted proponent’s motion for non-suit. It was made upon the conclusion of the cross-examination of Charles HEINZ, one of the contestants, and was based upon the ground that contestants had failed in their case to establish the alleged coercion or undue influence exercised by the proponents upon their father to prejudice his mind against the contestants, Charles and Theodore Heinz, sons by a former marriage.

  Judge Gaddis in ruling, stated that he considered the testimony adduced insufficient to establish a cause or to be submitted to a jury. The contestants will no doubt take an appeal.

  In his last will the late Lorenz Heinz bequeathed all his property of about the value of $60,000 to his three children by his second wife, deceased, who are August Heinz, Mrs. Julia CASSELL and Miss Lucia Heinz, cutting off his two sons by his first wife with a bequest of $50 each. It developed, however, that these sons had been given $3000 each at the time their father was divorced from their mother, who was awarded $4000.

  The mother subsequently married J. GREINER and has since lived a neighbor to the Heinzs.

  One of her sons, Theodore, was awarded to her custody in the decree of divorce and Charles was awarded to the custody of his father and remained with him until about 17 years of age. He now lives in Sacramento. Theodore is a resident of this county.



RED BLUFF (Tehama Co.), November 18 - An interesting case was tried before Justice of the Peace Thomas SIMMONS at Tehama yesterday. Dr. PARKER was plaintiff in a suit for damages against Hugh MOONEY, an old-time farmer of this section of the county, on account of the alleged depredations committed by hogs which are stated to be the property of the latter.

  The unruly and destructive swine aforesaid were declared, in the complaint, to have feloniously and with malice premeditated invaded a twenty-acre corn field belonging to Dr. Parker. The damages were assessed at $150 and a jury trial demanded. The hogs were not introduced in evidence nor was the corn field offered as an exhibit, but the identity of the animals was called in question, and Attorney W.P. JOHNSON, who represented the plaintiff, secured judgement for the full amount claimed by the aid of probabilities.

  It was shown that the hogs which Dr. Parker saw in his corn field were branded with Mr. Mooney’s brand and hence the greater part of the cereal consumed had gone to make the hogs belonging to defendant corn-fed in fact as well as in theory. The jury carefully weighed the evidence and after an hour’s deliberation found for the plaintiff as above stated. Mr. Mooney says he will appeal the case to a higher Court.



SUISUN (Solano Co.), November 18 - In the suit of Frank SIMONINI against the city of Vallejo, tried in the Superior Court this week, a jury awarded him damages in the sum of $650. Plaintiff runs a vegetable garden and claims to have lost a crop because the city of Vallejo put a water pipe through his land. The city offered him $100 damages, but he refused the offer and brought suit for $1600.



CHICO (Butte Co.), November 18 - Two residents of the section of country about three miles to the north of this city were made violently ill recently from eating the fruit of the castor bean. For a time their condition was most precarious and a physician had to work with them all of one night.

  Mr. BULLARD raises these beans in his yard. A near neighbor, Mrs. FREEMAN, made the Bullards a visit and while she was there Mr. Bullard sampled the fruit of the bean. He found it very appetizing and ate three or four, as did Mrs. Freeman. In a short time both were taken violently ill and a physician was called in. He arrived not a minute too soon and worked with them all night before they rested easily and were out of danger.



Judge Gray Sentences Bunch of Criminals to Long and Short Terms

OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 18 - Notwithstanding Judge Gray’s time yesterday was mostly taken up with the WRIGHT trial, he found time to do a little business in the line of sentencing prisoners who had convictions standing against them.

  The Judge did not show any leniency to Ah SING, who was convicted a few days ago of rape, in having had illicit relations with little thirteen-year-old Clara NAGER, a white girl.

    When the Chinaman was brought up for sentence, His Honor gave him twenty years. The attorney for the defense appealed on points of law, but the Judge denied it. The matter will be carried to the Supreme Court. The Chinaman seems to have plenty of financial backing.

  COSTELLO, the man who a short time ago held up John BROWN and robbed him of 50 cents, and also did other unlawful acts along the route of the Southern Pacific Company, such as shooting at switch lights, etc., was given a sentence of twelve years in State’s Prison.

  BURKE, the man who got caught in the act of burglarizing the house of Rev. WHITE, in Chico, said he was drunk at the time, so the Judge thought one year would do him.

  Evidence in the WRIGHT case, charged with manslaughter in killing H.C. FARLEY, near Yankee Hill, is being taken. The testimony is in substance the same as at Wright’s former trial, with the exception of a portion which was cut out by the Supreme Court.

  Witnesses told of Farley coming home and finding Wright at the table eating supper with the family, and of Farley’s son taking him into a bedroom and talking to him in an endeavor to avoid trouble; of how Farley, who had laid down his gun on entering the room, picked it up and jumped through a window, after which the boy opened the door and saw his mother standing in the front door with Wright’s gun in her hand. He heard his mother tell Wright to get away through the fig trees, and that defendant ran to get behind a spruce tree. Later he heard two shots and went out and saw his father lying on the porch. Dr. KUSEL testified that the bullet which killed Farley entered the head at the back of the ear.

  Testimony in the case will be concluded to-day and it will be given to the jury to-night or to-morrow.



OROVILLE (Butte Co.), November 18 - Yesterday while Mrs. Julius ALEXANDER was absent from her home a short time, someone entered and stole $50 in cash and a gold watch and chain. No clue has yet been found on which the officers can work. Oroville has been exceedingly lucky in this line. This is the first burglary reported in a long time.



SUISUN (Solano Co.), November 18 - Joe BURNS, accused of beating and robbing Ah BING in Suisun Valley about three months ago, was tried in the Superior Court Wednesday and found guilty of robbery. Burns testified that he had left the ranch several hours before the crime was committed and that in Cordelia late that evening he met his pals, STARKEY and LEARY, who told him they had robbed the Chinaman.

  Bing said he had been called to the barn by Burns at the time of the robbery and that when he entered the building in which were Starkey and Leary, he was knocked senseless and robbed by some one. He identified Burns as the man who took him to the barn. The jury agreed on a verdict of guilty on the second ballot. Since the testimony of Burns the officers would like very much to find Starkey and Leary.

Submitted by Betty Loose




© Copyright 2003-Present by Nancy Pratt Melton


Sacramento CAGenWeb