MRS. W. B. HYDE
Mrs. W. B. Hyde.--Field's Seminary for young ladies and girls was established by Miss Harriet N. Field in 1872 at Oakland, California, and long ago won the approval of a wide class of patrons. This institution is now presided over by Mrs. W. B. Hyde, an experienced and accomplished educator, under whose wise management the attendance has grown to the limit of the present capacity.
Mrs. Hyde received her education in the State of New York, at Genesee College, now the University of Syracuse. She afterwards came to California, where she resided for many years, returning to the East for the purpose of educating her children. Reverses overtaking her, she engaged in teaching, and through this apparent misfortune one of the most brilliant and successful of educators was given to this country. For three years Mrs. Hyde was connected with Ogontz, holding the position of associate principal. For several years she was connected with Miss Gordon's well-known school in west Philadelphia, and after her return to California she accepted the position of Principal of Field's Seminary. It would be difficult to find one more perfectly fitted for the many duties attached to this position. Great attention is paid to the home life of the pupil, and no pains are spared to fit them for the highest social position of life. The mental training is thorough, the different departments in arts, sciences, and languages, being under the direct supervision of competent heads. Pupils are prepared for Bryn Mawr, the University of California and Leland Stanford, Jr., University. One of the most attractive features of the school is the actual training pupils receive in social life; there are frequent gatherings at the seminary, and the young ladies in turn preside at the table, and dispense the hospitalities of the occasion. A glance at the catalogue shows the course of instruction a wide and varied one, well calculated for the highest development of woman.
Transcribed 12-31-04 Marilyn R. Pankey.
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, pages 682-683, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2005 Marilyn R. Pankey.