In another age Sint-Kruis-Winkel (Kruis = cross) was a quiet farming town east of the "Sassche Canal". That Sassche Canal in recent times became the huge Ghent-Terneuzen Canal for sea faring ships. It goes right through the heart of Zelzate which is completely cut in two.
|The Holy Cross Church|
A tunnel was then dug to alleviate the lot of the long suffering motorists. When that canal then attracted all kinds of industrial enterprises, great swathes of farmland on both sides were sacrificed to the gods of industry and progress.
In the Middle Ages St.-Kruis-Winkel belonged to the Assenede Corporation, like Assenede itself, Zelzate, Ertvelde, Wachtebeke and Kluizen. The Canal separated St.-Kruis-Winkel from Assenede and from the rest of the former Corporation. Administratively they remained with Assenede but they were separate juridically.
In 1964 St Kruis-Winkel which had a population of 1800 was absorbed into the city of Ghent. The politicians can decide what they want, with or without the approval of the citizens, but what once belonged to our Meetjesland will always belong to our Meetjesland.
Most recent update: 27 April 2017
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids