Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

DIAMOND JUBILEE
1863 - 1938
ST. AUGUSTINE CHURCH
Pittsburgh, PA


St. Augustine's Church is now (2011) known as Our Lady of the Angels. It is located on 37th Street, Lawrenceville, PA



(Contributed March, 2011 by Nancy J. Smith, nangelbuddy@com-nospam-cast.net)


(Continued)



  1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                         Page 83
      


HISTORY OF SAINT AUGUSTINE'S PARISH

CHAPTER VIII


The Later Years— 1918-1938

In holiness and justice before Him all our days.--Luke, II, 75



  To introduce Father Philip Knupfer, O.M.Cap., who succeeded Father Agatho in July, 1918, let me quote what was written of him on the occasion of his untimely death:

  He was a missionary of rare energy, a zealous pastor, loved by his people wherever he labored and a popular confessor from his ordination till his very death. Hours and hours in the confessional seemed never to weary him, and his memory will be held dear by penitents without number. Father Philip attracted scores of converts to the faith. The instruction of converts and the young folks in the parishes was a work he dearly loved.  These lovable qualities together with his amazing energy and unabating zeal for souls were his characteristics; and for these qualities he will ever be remembered by his fellow priests and confreres and the people among whom he labored.(1)

  Father Philip was born in Aichstetten, Germany, on November 10, 1878, and came to this country in early childhood. He entered the Capuchin Order on July 16, 1901, and was ordained on June 19, 1908. His first appointment was as assistant at St. Alphonsus' Church, Wheeling, whence he departed for the missions of Mariental, Kansas. Here he performed truly apostolic work until 1913, when he became pastor of St. Mary's Church at Ellis, Kansas. The year 1915 found him in Cumberland, Md., as guardian of the monastery and pastor of SS. Peter and Paul's Church. In July, 1918, he was appointed pastor of St. Augustine's.

  A great devotee of the missions, he introduced the Catholic Students' Mission Crusade into the school and encouraged the pupils in divers ways to save their pennies for ransoming souls in pagan lands. Thus at his suggestion the children saved $370.00 for the missions by abstaining from delicasies and amusements during the Advent of 1921. Having no debts on the parish, the pastor lent a helping hand to others whose circumstances were less favorable. Sometimes it was the proceeds of a play staged at his suggestion, at other times it was an outright appeal and collection, the proceeds of which he would bestow upon the needy. In 1921, St. Cecilia's, Rochester, Pa., benefited to the extent of $456.41, and the European Relief fund received $2,000.00 from St. Augustine's which placed the parish on the honor roll of the diocese. With all his charity Father Philip accumulated $15,955.18 during his term of office and left a surplus of $24,600.41 in the treasury.

  His interest in the Casino Club and in the young people in general is still remembered in the parish. He heartily recommended the consolidation of the Casino Club for men and of the Laetitia Club for the ladies. As a result of the merger, both clubs increased membership and more companionship was fostered among the young people of the parish. The library, too, engaged his attention and he was ever on the lookout for suitable reading-matter for the people.

  The following priests sang their first solemn Masses during the pastorate of Father Philip: Father Robert Meis, O.M.Cap., on June 29, 1919, and Father Claude Vogel, O.M.Cap., on May 29, 1921. Father Felix M. Kirsch, O.M.Cap., preached at the former celebration and Father Agatho Rolf, O.M.Cap., at the latter.

  In July, 1921, Father Philip was transferred to Cumberland and Father Cassian Hardl, O.M.Cap., became pastor of St. Augustine's. Born in Schongau, Bavaria, on August 21, 1868, he came to America in his early years. After due preparation he entered the Capuchin novitiate on July 16, 1887. On August 29, 1893, he was ordained to the priesthood. Father Cassian spent his first priestly years as teacher and director of St. Fidelis Seminary. Later he engaged in




-----
(1) St. Francis Home Journal, February, 1931, p. 58.






  Page 84                                                                    ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                    1863-1938



parish work in Wheeling and Pittsburgh, becoming director of Toner Institute, a home for delinquent boys: He also spent some years as director of St. Joseph's College in Hays, Kansas.

  One of the first improvements undertaken by Father Cassian as pastor of St. Augustine's was the repairing of the roads in the cemetery. Curbs were placed and concrete laid wherever necessary. Father Clement Pfeifer, O.M.Cap., assistant at the time, deserves special credit for supervising the work. A new furnace was installed in the parish house and repairs were made in the hall. These improvements required an outlay of $7,242.95.

  On January 1, 1922, St. Augustine's witnessed its first departure service for two missionaries destined for China, Father Agatho Rolf and Father Rudolph Blockinger. Father Fidelis Meier, O.M.Cap., delivered the sermon on this occasion. The speaker emphasized the nobleness of the two pioneers of our Province and called upon the faithful to support them spiritually and materially. About forty priests attended.

  One of the first to take to heart the suggestion of Father Fidelis in his departure sermon was the pastor himself. He immediately organized the Kansu Mission Club to assist the missionaries with church equipment. Every Thursday evening after the Holy Hour the members met in the parish library to sew and do other work for the Capuchin Mission of Kansu. The school children, too, were enrolled in the mission cause and on one occasion their little sacrifices netted $420.00 for the missions.

  In 1923, from January 21 to February 4, a fruitful mission was conducted by Fathers Chrysostom Theobald, O.F.M., Andrew Henze, O.F.M., and Cyril Georgel, O.F.M., Franciscans of the Cincinnati Province.

  In July, 1923, Father Cassian completed two years of pastoral work at St. Augustine's and was transferred to St. Fidelis Church in Victoria, Kansas. Here he remained pastor till 1927, when he died as a result of a stroke. His genial character has won a lasting place in the hearts of his people. 

   Successor to Father Cassian was Father Philip reappointed to St. Augustine's after his two years of parochial work in Cumberland. The new pastor endeavored especially to interest the parish in the school, and through his appeals in the St. Augustinus he increased the number of scholarships for the commercial department and promoted study by insisting that normally the scholarship should be won by competition.

  In 1924, Father Philip had the woodwork of the parish house repaired and painted and the church organ completely overhauled. Zeal for decorum during the church services led him to sponsor the organization of the Ushers' Club in 1926. The corps of ushers meet once a month and discuss ways and means to promote harmony and good order during the services. The first officers in the club were: Charles E. Benz, President; Louis Dadowski, Jr., Secretary; Matthew Werries, Jr., Treasurer.(2)

  Charity for the missions and other worthy causes continued to be one of the pastor's outstanding qualities. In 1924 a collection and a. raffle brought $1,148.29 toward building the new wing of St. Fidelis Seminary at Herman, while another collection netted $841.34 for Fathers Agatho and Rudolph in China. In 1925, the missionary gifts of the parish amounted to $4,367.56 and the parish was superseded only by the cathedral. In 1926, the charities reached $6,914.74, which again gave the second honors to St. Augustine's.(3)  No less remarkable was the charitable spirit of the parish in the diocesan campaign for education launched by Bishop Boyle in 1924. The parish assessment was $17,704.00 to be paid within five years. With the usual enthusiasm and leadership Father Philip went to work. Calmly he organized his collectors and sent them to every door in the parish. At the close of the campaign on April 6, $10,122.43 were already paid in cash, and by June 18, 1926, the assessment was overpaid by more than one thousand dollars. Thus, $18,652,53 were sent to the Bishop within two years after the campaign. The final years of Father Philip's pastorate were also distinguished by various ecclesias-



-----
(2) Constitution for St. Augustine's Usher Club, 1926. Parish archives.
(3) St. Aug., April, 1925, p. 68; March, 1926, p. 50.






1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                         Page 85       


tical celebrations. On October 5, 1924, the Third Order Fraternity commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of its establishment in the parish. A triduum preached by the Reverend Fulgence Meyer, O.F.M., preceded the day of jubilee. On the day itself the Most Reverend Bishop Hugh C. Boyle pontificated and Father Sigmund Cratz., O.M.Cap., preached the sermon. The tertiaries, about seven hundred strong, wearing cord and scapular, marched in procession from the hall to the church. A second and more solemn tertiary celebration occurred from September 19-21, 1926, when the Provincial Tertiary Convention was held at St. Augustine's. Besides the Most Reverend Hugh C. Boyle who pontificated on Sunday, September 19, the following members of the hierarchy were present: Most Reverend Anselm Kenealy, O.M.Cap., Archbishop of Simla, India;(4); Most Reverend John J. Swint, Bishop of Wheeling; and Most Reverend Francis Tief, Bishop of Concordia, Kansas.

  The afternoon witnessed the great mass meeting of 2600 tertiaries in the Harris Theatre. Again the prelates graced the occasion and addressed the tertiaries. A host of clergy, both diocesan and regular, attended the convention. Representing the tertiaries affiliated with their respective provinces were Very Reverend Bede Hess, O.M.C.,(5) of Seaside Park, N.J.; Very Reverend Vincent Schremp, O.F.M., of Chicago, and Reverend Father Ludger Werth, O.M.Cap., of New York City. The polyphonic choir of St. Paul's Cathedral under the direction of the Reverend Charles Rossini rendered the music for the occasion.

  In 1925 and 1926, Father Philip took kindly notice of the golden jubilees of the Ladies' Sodality and of the Young Mens' Conference. On both occasions the members assembled for commemorative services.(6) On June 7, 1925, Father Edward Heyl, O.M.Cap., returned to his home parish to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of his ordination. Father Julius Becker, O.M.Cap., preached the jubilee sermon. On June 28, 1925, Father Nicholas Krebs, O.M.Cap., another son of the parish, sang his first solemn Mass and Father Anscar Zawart, preached.

  This second pastorate of Father Philip terminated in July, 1926. Deploring Father Philip's departure the writer in the St. Augustinus remarked:

  Though he has left no monument of brick and mortar, he has engraved his name in the hearts of the parishioners of St. Augustine's by his great zeal and devotion, as well as by his success in working for the welfare of the parish . His absence will be felt in the school, in the societies, in the home, in the church.(7)

  From St. Augustine's Father Philip went to Wheeling as pastor of St. Alphonsus. But he had hardly begun his work when his health began to fail and he was forced to resign his office. He remained in Wheeling assisting in the parish in so far as his health would permit until December 27, 1930, when a heart attack called him to his eternal reward.

  Father Gilbert Stickelmeier, O.M.Cap., succeeded Father Philip in July, 1926. Born in Peoria, Ill., on June 1, 1889, he entered the Capuchin Order in July, 1910, and was ordained to the priesthood on May 31, 1917. After rendering chaplain service in the world war he served chiefly in the West, partly as pastor and partly as director of St. Joseph's College in Hays.

  On assuming office the new pastor recognized the necessity of extensive material improvements. The smoke and soot of Pittsburgh had wrought their usual havoc on the walls and ceiling of the church hence the Rambusch Company of New York were summoned to redecorate the church and to install new lighting fixtures. The altars were painted by John Zawart and the statues by




-----
(4) Resigned his archdiocese on January 13, 1936, and  retired to the Capuchin friary at Pantasaph, England.  Analecta O.M.Cap., March, 1936. p. 71.
(5) Most Rev. Bede Hess, O.M.C., was born on November 16. 1885, and professed as a Franciscan Friar Minor Conventual on November 17, 1901. Ordained on July 26, 1908. Prominent missionary and orator. Resided for many years at Seaside Park. N. J. Residing in Rome as General of his Order since 1935. Schematismus FF. Min. Conv., Syracuse, 1926, p. 117.
(6) Cyprian Gehrling, O.M.Cap.. History of the Young Ladies' Sodality, 1875-1925, Pittsburgh. 1925, pp. 39.
(7) August, 1926. P. 152.




""







1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                         Page 87       


William Maetzkus. A marble wainscotting was built in the sanctuary and shrines were erected in honor of St. Ann and of the Little Flower. A set of gold vestments was also purchased for the sum of $1,282.00.

  After renovating the church Father Gilbert turned his attention to the school and the cemetery. In the school new maple floors replaced the old, new desks were purchased and drinking fountains installed on each floor. At the cemetery a retaining wall 160 feet long and ten feet high was erected near the entrance. The cost of all these improvements mounted to more than $30,000, but since the church had a surplus fund of more than fifteen thousand dollars, and the pastor raised a like sum by a house collection, bazaars and entertainments, the parish was saved from debt.

  Father Gilbert also made other changes in the parish. In 1927 he introduced the eleven o'clock Mass on Sundays and arranged the other Masses at a more convenient hour. In order to gain more time for preaching the word of God he reduced the pulpit announcements to a minimum and issued a weekly bulletin containing all other parish information. Striving to arouse the laity to a more active participation in the services, he appointed the various parish organizations to take their regular turn in conducting the Holy Hour on Thursday evenings. The system has worked out well and is still observed. Having established the Archconfraternity of the Cord of St. Francis in the parish, Father Gilbert invested all the school children as cordbearers on December 3, 1926. In 1927, he also started St. Augustine's Alumni Association among the graduates of the school. Its purpose is to foster among the graduates an active interest in the affairs of their Alma Mater. December 23, 1928, brought special joy to the parish, for it marked the home-coming of two youthful neophytes to sing their first solemn Masses. Father Aurelius Nickel, O.M.Cap., celebrated  at  9:30 and Father Anscar, O.M.Cap., preached. Father Elmar Praxmarer followed at 11:00 o'clock and Father Leonard Dorn, O.M.Cap., preached.

  Father Gilbert left St. Augustine's in July, 1929, to join the Mission Band of St. Augustine's Province. In this capacity he preached missions and retreats in many States of the Union. Since 1931, he has been engaged in missionary work in Puerto Rico.

  The next pastorate, although full of promise, was of short duration. Father Wendelin Green, O.M.Cap., succeeded Father Gilbert but after scarcely seven months, untimely death cut short his hopeful career. Father Wendelin was born at Carbon Center, Pa., on July 16, 1880. He entered the Capuchin Order in July, 1900, and was ordained on June 20, 1906. Throughout his priestly career Father Wendelin was engaged in parish work, first as curate at St. Augustine's, then at SS. Peter and Paul's, Cumberland. In 1913, he became pastor of the Sacred Heart Church at New Philadelphia, Ohio, going thence to St. Cecilia's, Rochester, Pa., for six years. He returned to New Philadelphia for one year and in 1921, he became guardian and pastor of St. Mary's, Herman, where he remained for three years. From 1924 till July, 1927, he was pastor at Rochester and during 1928 and part of 1929, he was pastor at Herman. In July, 1929, he succeeded Father Gilbert as pastor of St. Augustine's.(8)

  One of the first changes inaugurated by Father Wendelin was the introduction of the weekly envelope system to obtain church revenue not only from the fathers and mothers but also from all over sixteen years of age who are capable of contributing. The system has proved its worth many times. A man of apostolic faith and zeal, Father Wendelin appealed urgently to the people of St. Augustine's to adopt a parish in Puerto Rico, the new mission field of the Pennsylvania Capuchins. He said in the St. Augustinus: "St. Augustine's parish at Pittsburgh should and will adopt one of these little chapels in Puerto Rico, build it, name it our baby church of St. Augustine in Puerto Rico, and keep on mothering it until it is able to take care of itself."(9) It is significant that one month later the St. Augustinus bearing the news of Father Wendelin's death, carried also the following notice regarding the Capu-



-----
(8) St. Aug., February, 1930, pp. 21, 22.
(9) Ibid., January, 1930, p. 10.




  Page 88                                                                     ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                    1863-1938



chin missionaries in Puerto Rico: "St. Augustine's parish has given these missionaries one thousand dollars towards the little St. Augustine's Chapel which the parish has adopted in Puerto Rico."(10) This same little chapel, the "Baby St. Augustine's" is still mothered by St. Augustine's parish of Pittsburgh.

  What other ideals and projects Father Wendelin had in mind for the good of the parish will probably never be known in this world, for on the night of February 18, 1930, death came with a simple heart attack and cut down his victim in the fulness of his years. After the solemn Requiem at St. Augustine's on February 22, the earthly remains were taken to Herman to be interred in the friars' plot of St.Mary's Cemetery. A large delegation from St. Augustine's attended the funeral.

  We now meet Father Ferdinand Hartung, O.M.Cap., as pastor. Born in Pittsburgh on September 29, 1879, he became a Capuchin on July 15, 1900, and a priest on June 20, 1906. His first appointment was to St. Fidelis Seminary where he taught for ten years. From 1917-1918 he was in charge of the mission at Freedom, Pa. From 1918-1921, he was pastor at Herndon, Kansas, whence he came as pastor to Charleston, W. Va., and remained till 1924. His next appointment was as professor at Hays College, Kansas, where he remained till 1926. Then he was transferred to St. Augustine's as assistant pastor and secretary to the Father Provincial. Upon the death of Father Wendelin he assumed the office of pastor.

  Father Ferdinand will be remembered for the road repairs in the cemetery and for the erection of a house for the caretaker. He also had the walls and ceiling of the hall washed, the woodwork given the mahogany finish and new lights installed. During the depression years he opened a soup kitchen and fed daily as high as 200 and more children who otherwise could not have attended school because of under-nourishment. Both in the pulpit and in the pages of the St. Augustinus he begged food for the soup kitchen and organized a staff of cooks who gave generously of their time and skill to preparing substantial and tasty meals for the children of the poor.  In the spiritual realm he introduced the all-day exposition and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament on the first Fridays of the month. Permission for this had been granted by the Most Reverend Bishop. In 1932, from February 14-28, a mission was conducted by Rev. Hubert Ostermann, O.M.C. and Rev. Godfrey Wolf, O.M.C., Conventual Franciscans from Seaside Park, N. J. The pastor also encouraged the laymen's retreat movement and.through his efforts large delegations went yearly to Herman for this purpose. In September, 1931, with the Bishop's permission he opened a four-year high school for girls. The move became popular at once.

  The following noteworthy celebrations occurred during Father Ferdinand's term of office: On June 22, 1930, Father Cyprian Gehrling, O.M.Cap., commemorated the silver jubilee of his ordination to the priesthood, and Brother Ivo Litsch, O.M.Cap., celebrated the golden jubilee of his profession as a Capuchin lay brother. Both friars had spent many years in the service of the parish, the one as zealous curate, the other as faithful sacristan. Very Rev. Henry Kluepfel, O.M.Cap., preached the sermon.

  First solemn Masses during the incumbency of Father Ferdinand were as follows: On September 28, 1930, Fathers Edgar Schano, O.M.Cap., and Gerald Greenwald, O.M.Cap., Fathers Boniface Weckmann, O.M.Cap., and Claude Vogel, O.M.Cap.. preached; on June 19, 1932, Father Terence Moffat, O.M.Cap., the preacher on this occasion was Father Paul Seibert, O.F.M.; again on June 18, 1934, Fathers Bernard Nickel, O.M.Cap., and Linus Doemling. O.M.Cap., Fathers Claude Vogel, O.M.Cap., and Edwin Dorzweiler, O.M.Cap., delivered the sermons.

  On July 10, 1930, Mr. Edward Pottmeyer, an outstanding member of the parish, passed to his reward. He was born in Pittsburgh on July 17, 1881, the son of John and Elizabeth Pottmeyer, pioneer members of St. Augustine's. In August, 1907, he married Ida Farmerie and from the union seven children were born. Mr. Edward Pottmeyer had great administrative ability as is shown from the important offices he held. For more than a decade he had been secretary-treasurer of Branch 5, Knights of St. George, and chair-



-----
(10) Ibid., February, p. 29.






1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                         Page 89       

man of the Pittsburgh District Committee of the same Order. He was also Vice-President of the Allegheny County Branch of the Catholic Central Verein and past President of the St. Augustine's Casino and of the St. Raphael's Society. He was. moreover, a member of the Pittsburgh Council of the Knights of Columbus, and for seven years had been secretary of the Board of Trustees of St. Augustine's Church. At the funeral on July 14, Father Ferdinand was celebrant and Fathers Cyprian Gehrling. O.M.Cap., and Cecil Nally, O.M.Cap., assisted as deacon and subdeacon. In the death of Mr. Pottmeyer the parish lost an exemplary member and a very energetic trustee.(11)

  Father Ferdinand retired from St. Augustine's in July, 1933. He left a well-balanced budget, for the parish had on hand nearly $4,000. This is all the more remarkable since his pastorate fell in the worst years of the depression. Moreover, as a result of the Bishop's resolve to rebuild the Home for the Aged conducted by the Little Sisters of the Poor, St. Augustine's was assessed $1.750.00, and in keeping with its traditional spirit of charity the parish contributed $2,043.75 to this worthy cause.

  From St. Augustine's Father Ferdinand went to Charleston, W. Va., as pastor of the Sacred Heart Church. After three years he returned to Pittsburgh as chaplain of St. Francis Hospital. In 1937 he was transferred to Dover, Ohio, as curate.

  The successor to Father Ferdinand was Father Henry Kluepfel. He was born in Steinfeld, Bavaria, on September 27, 1876. In September, -1890, he entered St. Fidelis Seminary and joined the Capuchin Order on July 14, 1896. Completing his studies, he was ordained priest on June 21, 1902. His first appointment was to St. Joseph's, Dover. Ohio. The same year, 1902, he entered on professorial duties at St. Fidelis Seminary where he remained till 1907. In this year he took up special studies at Duquesne University, in preparation for the presidency of St. Joseph's College at Hays, Kansas. He retired from the college in 1917, and became curate at St. Mary's Church, Herndon, Kansas. The following year he was appointed guardian and pastor at Victoria, Kansas. In October, 1921, he was elected Provincial and served two terms in this capacity. At the expiration of his provincialate in July, 1927, he served as chaplain to Mount Immaculate Academy, Pittsburgh; chaplain to Toner Institute, pastor at Herman, and finally as pastor of St. Augustine's.

  Under Father Henry the perpetual novena in honor of St. Anthony was started. On the canonization of St. Conrad of Parzham (May 24, 1934) the latest Capuchin saint, special prayers to St. Conrad were added. For this purpose the Christian Mothers donated an artistic statue of St. Conrad.(12)

  August 20-23, 1933, were red letter days in the parish. During these days St. Augustine's was host to the Seventy-eighth Convention of the Catholic Central Verein, and the Catholic Women's Union of America. While the meetings took place in the Carnegie Hall and in the Fort Pitt Hotel, all the religious services, including the Pontifical Mass by Bishop Boyle, were held in St. Augustine's Church.(13)

  The pastorate of Father Henry was all too short, lasting but eleven months. Stricken with pneumonia, he struggled against it for twelve days when he finally succumbed to it on June 21, 1934. For the second time within four years death had come for the pastor of St. Augustine's and the people were bowed in grief. But the present victim had been a tireless worker and had spent himself in the service of his Blessed Master. The solemn funeral was held on June 25, 1934. Very Reverend Father Sigmund Cratz, O.M.Cap., Provincial, officiated as celebrant, Fathers Boniface Weckmann, O.M.Cap., and Gerard Scheiner. O.M.Cap., a nephew of the deceased, were deacon and subdeacon. Father Theodore Schillo was master of ceremonies. The Most Reverend Bishop Hugh C. Boyle presided in the sanctuary and gave the absolution. Burial took place in St. Augustine's Cemetery. (14)


-----
(11) Ibid., July, 1930, p. 1221.
(12) A booklet entitled: Perpetual  Novena in Honor of St. Anthony of Padua, was  issued in August, 1933.
(13) Transactions published in Bericht der 78 Versammlung, St. Paul. 1933.
(14) St. Aug., July, 1934, pp. 1-3.






""







1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                        Page 91       


In August, 1934, Father Herbert Schehl was summoned to fill the pastoral office vacated by the untimely death of Father Henry. Born on February 8, 1896, at Herman, Pa., he studied at the local seminary and entered the Capuchin Order on July 14, 1915. Seven years later, on May 25, 1922, he was ordained priest. Father Herbert spent his first priestly years in parochial work in Dover, Ohio, and in professorial work in our college at Hays, Kansas. From September, 1928-1929, he studied at the Catholic University of America and won the Master's degree. Returning to Hays, he continued his professorial work until 1930, when he became President of the institution.

  Assuming the pastorship of St. Augustine's, Father Herbert was confronted with the problem of making some changes in the school to obtain suitable place for the pupils of the fourth year high school. By partitioning a large classroom on the third floor, he obtained a suitable location for the library which he transferred from the basement. The latter, then, was used for school purposes. Anxious to secure the full co-operation of parents in the education of the children, he organized the Parent-Teacher Association in the parish. Regularly he attended the meetings and exhorted the parents to active interest in the training of their children. He also took great interest in the Knights of St. George Cadets and vitalized the organization by fostering healthful athletics.

  Seeing the general discouragement into which many of the parish had fallen as a result of the persistent depression, Father Herbert arranged for the spiritual renewal of the parish through a mission. The first week from March 15-22, was conducted in German, while the second week from March 22-April 5, was in English. In this way the missionary counsel and consolation were available to all. The German sermons were delivered by the Capuchin Fathers: Sigmund Cratz and Clement Pfeifer; the English by Norbert Miller and Edgar Schano.

  In consequence of the depression which left so many people penniless and distressed, the St. Augustine's Credit Union was formed in March, 1935. The Credit Union had been first inaugurated by the Rev. Edwin P. Fussenegger, pastor of Most Holy Name Church, Troy Hill. Recognizing its merits, other pastors, too, soon introduced it. The purpose of the Credit Union is twofold: first, to provide a safe place for savings even as low as ten cents monthly; secondly, to afford emergency help from the Union to any member in financial difficulty. This credit loan association is chartered by the Federal Government and operates under the supervision of the Farm Credit Administration. Many a person faced with the necessity of paying a food bill, a doctor's or hospital bill has found the Parish Credit Union a Godsend. Moreover, the member of the Credit Union pays only six percent interest, e.g., three dollars over the course of a year for fifty dollars, six dollars for one hundred dollars. Operating on this scale, the Credit Union has met many a family emergency.(15)

  In August, 1936, Father Herbert was transferred to Dover, Ohio, as pastor of St. Joseph's Church. Father Florence Kirchgessner succeeded him at St. Augustine's. Born in Wheeling, W. Va., on December 22, 1895, he attended St. Alphonsus' School till 1908, when he entered St. Fidelis' Seminary at Herman, Pa. He entered the Capuchin novitiate on July 14, 1914 and was ordained on May 26, 1921, in the cathedral of Baltimore. He was appointed professor at St. Joseph's College, Hays, Kansas, and taught till the fall of 1922 when he entered Catholic University, Washington, D. C., taking the degree of Master of Arts June, 1923. He then returned to Hays and continued to teach at St. Joseph's College till July, 1932, when he became pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Ness City, Kansas. In August, 1934, he was made Provincial Commissary of the Third Order with residence at St. Augustine's, Pittsburgh. The year 1935 found him curate and 1936 pastor of St. Augustine's Church.

   During his brief pastorate he has had cement walks laid in front of the monastery, school and convent at a cost of $1,350.00. A new road in the cemetery cost $7,500.00. A residence for Sisters rendering domestic service in the monastery was purchased for the sum of $2,500.00. Property adjoining the parish hall was bought for $1,500.00, and property on the corner of Thirty-seventh and Butler Streets for $3,600.00.



-----
(15) Ibid., February, 1937, p. 8; August, pp. 13-14; February, 1938, pp. 12-16.





  Page 92                                                                     ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                    1863-1938



  On June 27, 1937, the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of the blessing and laying of the corner stone of the first church was commemorated. Rev. Florence Kirchgessner, O.M. Cap., celebrated the solemn Mass and Rev. Clarence Tschippert, O.M.Cap., assisted as deacon, and Rev. Ernest Horning, O.M.Cap., as subdeacon. The Rev. Cyril Zeller, O.M. Cap., delivered the festive sermon. The choir under the direction of the Rev. Ralph Graham, O.M.Cap., rendered the Missa Choralis by Licinio Refice.(16)

  In preparation for the Diamond Jubilee the church was cleaned, the Stations, altars, pews and vestments renovated for approximately $4,800.00. The altar was enriched with a new tabernacle, the gift of Mr. Edward D. Eichenlaub in memory of his deceased wife, Ida G. Daly Eichenlaub. Two jubilee chalices with solid gold cups and two patens have been made from old gold collected over a period of years. The chalices are studded with diamonds which are also the gifts of the faithful.

  The expenses for the renovation of the Church for the Jubilee were met by special monthly collections and by benefits held under the auspices of the Christian Mothers, Blessed Virgin Sodality, Casino Dramatic Club, and Confraternity Children.

  Individual gifts were received from the Estate of Mary Steinmiller, the Reiman Family, Amelia Schillo, Philip Zeus, Anna May Fasel, Mrs. Ida Praxmarer, George L. Buster, Family of J. J. Elsesser, Jr., F. L. Fitzgerald Family, Mrs. A. M. and Marie Greenwald, Mrs. Anna 0. Grill, P. J. Kerner. L. J. Fey Family, Anna Gauschemann, Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Gauschemann, Albert G. Kramer, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Leas, J. J. McGinnis Family, Mr. and Mrs. J. Thiery, Frank A. Trakofler, Mr. and Mrs. J. Tumelty, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Uhrin, Joseph Voelker, Frances M. Zimmer, Theresa Schreiber and Philip Kramm Family.

  Sunday, November 20, 1938, is the day chosen for the solemn celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of the Parish. On that day both priests and people will lift up their hearts in gratitude to Him Who has dwelt with them and nurtured them for three-fourths of a century. And looking into the unborn years, they will be no less fervent in beseeching grace and benediction upon the church dedicated to Augustine so that it may continue its mission of salvation for a century and more.


-----
(16) Ibid., June, 1937, p. 3.






1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                        Page 93       


LIST OF PASTORS AT ST. AUGUSTINE'S, PITTSBURGH, PA. (1862-1938)

GEORGE KIRCHER, Organizer of the Parish   
PHILIP FRANCIS SCHMIDT, First Resident Pastor   
JOHN NEPOMUCENE TAMCHINA, or
     FATHER RESTITUTUS, O.M.Cap   
GEORGE KIRCHER     
JOHN NEPOMUCENE TAMCHINA, O.M.Cap
HYACINTH EPP, O.M.Cap  
MAURICE GRECK, O.M.Cap   
FELIX MARY LEX, O.M.Cap   
MAURICE GRECK, O.M.Cap   
HYACINTH EPP, O.M.Cap   
JOSEPH ANTHONY ZIEGELMAYER, O.M.Cap   
HERMAN JOSEPH PETERS, O.M. Cap   
PETER KEMPER, O.M.Cap   
CHARLES SPECKERT, O.M.Cap  
JOSEPH ANTHONY ZIEGELMAYER, O.M.Cap   
AGATHO ROLF, O.M.Cap           
IGNATIUS WEISBRUCH, O.M.Cap          
RICHARD DEI, O.M.Cap           
MARCUS HAAS, O.M.Cap
JOSEPH ANTHONY ZIEGELMAYER, O.M.Cap   
AGATHO ROLF, O.M.Cap
PHILIP KNUPFER, O.M.Cap       
CASSIAN HARTL, O.M.Cap       
PHILIP KNUPFER, O.M.Cap       
GILBERT STICKELMEIER, O.M.Cap
WENDELIN GRUEN, O.M.Cap       
FERDINAND HARTUNG, O.M.Cap
HENRY KLUEPFEL, O.M.Cap
HERBERT SCHEHL, O.M.Cap
FLORENCE KIRCHGESSNER, O.M.Cap 
April 7, 1861—June 15, 1862
December, 1862—October, 1863

October, 1863—October 8, 1868
October 8, 1868—September 14, 1871
September 14. 1871—April 19, 1874
April 19, 1874—August, 1881
August, 1881—August, 1884
August, 1884—August, 1887
August, 1887—August, 1890
August, 1890—October 21, 1891
October 23, 1891—August, 1894
August, 1894—August, 1897
August, 1897—August, 1898
August, 1898—August, 1903
August, 1903—August, 1906
August, 1906—July, 1909
July, 1909—July, 1912
July 19, 1912—October 15, 1912
October 15, 1912—November 20, 1912                       
November 20, 1912—July 15, 1915
July 15, 1915—July 11, 1918
July 11, 1918—July. 1921
July, 1921—July, 1923
July, 1923—July, 1926
July, 1926—July, 1929
July, 1929—February 18, 1930
February 18. 1930—July, 1933
July, 1933—June 21, 1934
August. 1934—August, 1936
August. 1936, to date

LIST OF ASSISTANT PRIESTS AT ST. AUGUSTINE'S (1866-1938)

LAWRENCE SPITZLBERGER         
AUGUST M. NIEMANN      
JOHN BAPT. DUFFNER       
MARTIN KELLER           
G. HUNE          
UTHO HUBER, O.S.B          
GEORGE SNICT, C.SS.R   
JOHN BAPT. DUFFNER           
FRANCIS XAV. PAULITEGI      
JOHN VOLLMEYER   (VOLLMER)           
JOHN MICH. BIERL      
JOSEPH   BOEHM          
FRANCIS XAV. DEUERMEYER           
JOHN BAPT. DUFFNER       
CHARLES GEYERSTANGER, O.S.B.  
    (Assisted only on Sundays)
JOHN STAUB           
September, 1866—December, 1866
February 24, 1867—August, 1867
February 2. 1868—October 1, 1868
November 29, 1868
January 17,  1869
August 1, 1869
September 14, 1869
April 10, 1870
February 20, 1870—May, 1870
May 22,   1870
September. 1870—End of November, 1870
July   13.1870
February, 1871—End of April, 1871
April 1, 1871—Middle of July, 1871
Middle of July, 1871—September 10, 1871

September 14. 1871—February, 1872






""






1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                        Page 95       


PETER KAUFMANN  
CALLUS HOCH, O.S.B   
JOSEPH WINTER   
FRANCIS XAV. WENINGER, S. J.    
JOHN RITTER   
MICHAEL STEGER  
JOHN BAPT. DUFFNER   
MATTHEW HAU, O.M.Cap   
JOSEPH CALASANCE MAYERSHOFER, O.M.Cap
MAURICE GRECK, O.M.Cap   
FIDELIS WEINSCHENK, O.M.Cap  
FELIX MARIA LEX, O.M.Cap  
JOSEPH ANTHONY ZIEGELMAIER, O.M.Cap   
ANASTASIUS JOSEPHUS MUELLER, O.M.Cap   
PANCRATIUS DOCKLER, O.M.Cap   
JOSEPH LEONISSA BECKER, O.M.Cap   
DIDACUS ROTTLAENDER, O.M.Cap   
GREGORY MARY AUTSCH, O.M.Cap   
FRANCIS XAVIER STRUNK, O.M.Cap   
(He joined the Trappists in 1882, seven years later he was
   elected Abbot of Oelenberg in Alsace, where he died.)
PHILIP WEINMANN, O.M.Cap   
JOSEPH LEONISSA BECKER, O.M.Cap   
IRENAEUS KOLB, O.M.Cap   
FRANCIS CHARLES STROBL, O.M.Cap   
MARTIN MUELDERS, O.M.Cap   
GODEHARD FRIEDMANN, O.M.Cap   
GREGORY NAZIANZ SCHNEIDERS, O.M.Cap   
ANASTASIUS JOSEPH MUELLER, O.M.Cap   
ANSELM BAYERAU, O.M.Cap   
(He died as missionary to the Indians of Chile in
   South America on May 21, 1901.)
LEO EGGER, O.M.Cap   
CHARLES SPECKERT, O.M.Cap   
FRANCIS CHARLES STROBL, O.M.Cap   
HERMAN JOSEPH PETERS, O.M.Cap   
IRENAEUS KOLB, O.M.Cap   
JOHN CHRYSOSTOMUS JACOB, O.M.Cap  
CHARLES SPECKERT, O.M.Cap   
PATRICK LEINSLE, O.M.Cap   
IRENAEUS KOLB, O.M.Cap   
PAULUS WERR, O.M.Cap   
RAPHEL MARY SCHWARTZ, O.M.Cap   
MATTHEW SAVELSBERG, O.M.Cap  
HILARY MEIER, O.M.Cap   
LEO EGGER, O.M.Cap  
BERNARDINE KUHLMANN, O.M.Cap   
DIDACUS ROTTLAENDER, O.M.Cap   
JOHN CHRYSOSTOMUS JACOB, O.M.Cap   
ANASTASIUS JOSEPH MUELLER, O.M.Cap   
RAPHAEL MARY SCHWARZ, O.M.Cap   
AUGUSTINE MARY NOELLE, O.M.Cap   
ALPHONSUS MARY HILLENBRAND, O.M.Cap   
BERNARDINE  KUHLMANN, O.M.Cap   

September 14, 1871—End of July, 1872                                        
August 1, 1872—November 9, 1873
May 19, 1872—End of December, 1872
February 15-21, 1872
March 23, 1873—October 26, 1873
August 24, 1873
February 20, 1873
December 8, 1873—June 6, 1876
May 19, 1874—September 13, 1874
May 19, 1874—September 24, 1876
August 31, 1876—April 4, 1877
June 20, 1875—September 13, 1881
September 24, 1876—September, 1881
September 24, 1876—August, 1880
May 26, 1878—August 26, 1879
July 3, 1879—August, 1880
May 20, 1880—September, 1882
August, 1881—May 12, 1902
August, 1881—July 7, 1882


September, 1882—August, 1883
September, 1882—August, 1883
August, 1883—August, 1884
August, 1883—August, 1884
August, 1884—August, 1885
August, 1884—August, 1885
August, 1884—May 2, 1889
August, 1885—August, 1886
August, 1885—August, 1886


August, 1886—August, 1890
August, 1886—August, 1887
August, 1886—August, 1888
August, 1887—August, 1888
August, 1888—October, 1891
August, 1889—August, 1890
August, 1890—August, 1892
October, 1891—August, 1900
August, 1892—September 26, 1892
August, 1892—August, 1893
August, 1893—August, 1896
August, 1894—August, 1897
August, 1896—September 22, 1896
August, 1896—August, 1897
August, 1896—August, 1897
August, 1897—February 27, 1900
August, 1897—August, 1901
August 1897—July 11, 1898
August 1898—August, 1902
August, 1898—August, 1900
August, 1899—August, 1901
August,  1900—August, 1901






  Page 96                                                                     ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                    1863-1938



IGNATIUS WEISBRUCH, O.M.Cap   
CLEMENT PFEIFER,  O.M.Cap    
AUGUSTINE MARY NOELLE, O.M.Cap   
CELESTINE OSWALD, O.M.Cap   
ANGELUS BADERSBACH, O.M.Cap   
PATRICK LEINSLE, O.M.Cap   
JOHN CHRYSOSTOMUS JACOB, O.M.Cap   
GODEHARD FRIEDMANN, O.M.Cap   
PAULUS WERR, O.M.Cap   
IGNATIUS WEISBRUCH, O.M.Cap   
LAWRENCE BECK, O.M.Cap   
MAURICE ACKERMANN, O.M.Cap   
EUGENE BECKER, O.M.Cap   
RAPHAEL MARY SCHWARZ, O.M.Cap   
WENDELINE GRUEN, O.M.Cap   
ANSELM MUELLER, O.M.Cap     
ALPHONSUS MARY HILLENBRAND, O.M.Cap  
ULRIC ZELLER, O.M.Cap   
MARCUS HAAS, O.M.Cap   
JAMES STEPPE, O.M.Cap    
PACIFICUS STROHMAYER, O.M.Cap     
SIMON KNUPFER, O.M.Cap   
ULRIC ZELLER, O.M.Cap   
ALBAN HAMMEL, O.M.Cap   
LUKAS JOSEPH WAGNER, O.M.Cap     
ANTHONY BURKART, O.M.Cap   
Pius KAELIN, O.M.Cap   
SIGMUND CRATZ, O.M.Cap   
ANDREW HERRMANN, O.M.Cap      
BONAVENTURE BECKER, O.M.Cap     
JOHN CHRYSOSTOMUS JACOB, O.M.Cap    
GREGORY MARY LOEBACH, O.M.Cap  
JUSTINUS WALZ, O.M.Cap  
GAUDENTIUS FISCHER, O.M.Cap   
SIMON KNUPFER, O.M.Cap   
LAWRENCE BECK, O.M.Cap  
ANGELUS SEIKEL, O.M.Cap   
PAULUS WERR, O.M.Cap   
MAURICE ACKERMANN, O.M.Cap   
STEPHEN BIENEMANN, O.M.Cap  
CYPRIAN GEHRLING, O.M.Cap   
LEONARD DORN, O.M.Cap   
CELESTINE OSWALD, O.M.Cap   
GILBERT STICKELMEIER, O.M.Cap  
DOMINIC SCHUSTER, O.M.Cap  
AMBROSE HEGERLE, O.M.Cap   
STEPHEN BIENEMANN. O.M.Cap  
ANDREW HERRMANN, O.M.Cap   
BASIL HEIM, O.M.Cap  
FERDINAND HARTUNG, O.M.Cap  
FREDERIC BECKER, O.M.Cap   
CECIL NALLY, O.M.Cap   

August, 1900—August, 1901
August,  1901—August, 1917
August, 1902—April 13, 1904
August, 1902—August, 1903
August. 1902—August 1, 1906                                            
August, 1903—August, 1905
August, 1903—-July, 1910
August, 1903—June 14, 1919
August, 1903—August, 1908
August. 1903—August, 1905
August, 1905—July, 1913
August, 1906—July. 1909
August, 1906—August, 1907
August, 1906—August, 1914
August, 1907—July. 1912
August, 1908—July, 1913
August, 1908—July,  1912
July,  1910—July, 1911
July,  1911—July, 1912
July, 1911—July, 1918
July, 1911—July, 1915
July, 1911—October, 1911
July, 1912—July, 1913
July, 1912—July, 1913
July, 1912—July, 1913
July, 1913—July, 1914
July, 1913—September, 1914
July, 1914—July, 1915
July, 1914—July,  1918
July, 1914—July, 1916
July. 1914—July, 1918
July, 1915—July, 1916
July, 1915—July, 1916
July, 1915—July, 1916
October, 1915—August, 1917
July, 1916—July, 1918
July, 1916—July, 1918
August, 1917—July, 1919
August, 1917—July, 1918
August, 1917—July, 1918
July, 1918—July, 1930
July, 1918—July, 1921
July, 1919—July, 1924
July, 1919—July, 1920
July, 1921—July, 1922
July, 1922—July, 1924
July,  1924—July, 1926
July, 1924—July,  1927
July, 1925—July, 1927
July, 1926—February, 1930
July, 1927—July, 1929
July, 1929—July, 1933






1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                        Page 97       


MICHAEL NEFF, O.M.Cap   
MARTIN McCABE, O.M.Cap   
CLEMENT PFEIFER, O.M.Cap   
CYRIL ZELLER, O.M.Cap   
CUTHBERT SCHOEPPNER, O.M.Cap   
CYRIL ZELLER, O.M.Cap  
AMBROSE HEGERLE, O.M.Cap   
RUPERT GLAID, O.M.Cap  
FLORENCE KIRCHGESSNER, O.M.Cap   
INNOCENT KLABNIK, O.M.Cap   
REGINALD WIEST, O.M.Cap   
JULIAN PATTERSON, O.M.Cap.

FRANCIS DE SALES DONOHOE, O.M.Cap   
GERALD KOEHLER, O.M.Cap   
ERNEST HORNING, O.M.Cap   

July, 1930—July, 1932
July, 1930—July, 1931
July, 1931—December, 1931
July, 1931—July, 1932
July, 1932—July, 1933
July, 1933—August, 1934
July, 1933—July, 1936
August, 1934—October 28, 1935
October 28, 1935—August, 1936
August,  1936—]uly, 1937
August, 1936—August, 1938
July 8, 1937—October 1, 1937, and                              
   May 10, 1938—August, 1938
October 1, 1937—May 15, 1938
August, 1938 to date
August, 1938 to date
We omitted a number of names of Fathers who assisted at St. Augustine's Church without having ever been appointed regular Assistant Priests.

 
ST. AUGUSTINE'S CHURCH COMMITTEES
Committee to purchase ground for a future church, 1859-1861
August Hoeveler Alexander Wirth Louis Unverzagt


Committee to lay out lots for sale to obtain funds for building,
April 20, 1860

August Hoeveler Louis Unverzagt Alexander Wirth Heinrich Engel Johann Fleckenstein Johann Elsesser Jacob Helbling
Johann Wirth Xavier Loeffler
Paul Feaux (teacher), secretary


Building Committee, April 7, 1861
August Hoeveler Gabriel Weisser Xavier Burkhart
Jacob Dietz, (Secretary)


Committee sent to Bishop to obtain permission to
build church, July, 1861

August Hoeveler Alexander Wirth Louis Unverzagt Gabriel Weisser
Landelin Vogel

School Committee, August 11, 1861
Landelin Vogel
Johann Fleckenstein
Jacob Dietz


First Church Committee (building) April 6, 1862
(Rev. George Kircher) August Hoeveler Landelin Vogel
Xavier Burkhart Gabriel Weisser Alexander Wirth
Louis Unverzagt


Committee, September 24, 1863
(Rev. Fr. Philip Schmidt) August Hoeveler Alexander Wirth
Louis Unverzagt Xavier Loeffler Franz Xavier Helbling
Benjamin Schmidt, secretary


Committee, April 10, 1864
August Hoeveler, treas. Xavier Helbling Gabriel Weisser Landelin Vogel Xavier Burkhart Jacob Dietz






""





1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                        Page 99       

Committee of 1865
       Jacob Dietz
       Alexander Wirth
       Martin Heil
       Nickolaus Schneider
       Leonard Vogt
       Peter Schrankel

Committee of 1866
       Jacob Dietz
       Alexander Wirth
       Peter Schrankel
       Xavier Loeffler
       Karl  Kakhthakr, Treasurer Heinrich Engel
       Thomas LIndenfelser

Committee of 1867
       Jacob Dietz, Secretary Karl Kalchthaler,
       Treasurer Jacob Wagner Philip Weisenberger
       Gottfried Bucket John Schoepf William Lamkemeyer

Committee of 1868
       Jacob Dietz, Secretary Karl Kalchthaler,
       Treasurer Philip Weisenberger  Andrew Kloman
       Edward Frauenheim Peter Wurzel

Committee of 1871
       Karl Kalchthaler Johann Lamkemeyer
       Edward Frauenheim Stephen Schultis
       Nickolaus Voelker Nickolaus Schneider

Committee of 1872
       Karl Kalchthaler Johann Lamkemeyer
       Edward Frauenheim Stephen Schuhis
       Nickolaus Voelker Jacob Wagner

Committee of 1873
       Jacob Wagner Charles  Schiffhauer
       John Knapp George Schaffer,
       Treasurer C. Geismar, Secretary till July
       Titus Berger, Secretary  (from July)
       Leonard Vogt

Committee of 1874
       Charles Schiffhauer Johann Elsesser
       Leonard Vogt Franz Wilhelm Besselmann
       Titus Berger, Secretary
Committee of 1875
       Titus Berger, Secretary
       Johann Elsesser
       W. F. Besselmann
       Charles Schiffhauer
       Joseph Vogel, Sr., Treasurer Jacob Wagner


Committee of 1876
       Joseph Vogel, Sr.
       Titus Berger W. F. Besselmann Leopold Vilsack
       Johann Lamkemeyer Peter Becker
       Marshals: Joseph Vogel, Jr..
       Caspar Gilbert


Committee of 1877
       Joseph Vogel, Sr. Titus Berger Johann Lamkemeyer
       Leopold Vilsack F. W. Besselmann Peter Becker
       Marshals: Joseph Vogel, Jr. Caspar Gilbert


Committee of 1878
       Joseph Vogel, Sr. Leopold Vilsack Titus Berger
       Peter Becker Henry Freker Isidor Rotter
       Marshals: Joseph Vogel. Jr.
       Caspar Gilbert


Committee of 1879
       Joseph Vogel,  Sr., Treasurer
       Peter Becker Henry Freker Isidor Rotter
       Edw. Frauenheim. Secretary
       Chas. Schiffhauer replaced  Louis
       Schmidt, who moved away
       Marshals: Joseph Vogel. Jr. Caspar Gilbert


Committee of 1880
       Edward Frauenheim. Secretary
       Joseph Vogel,  Sr.. Treasurer
       Henry Freker  Charles Schiffhauer Jacob Scholl
       Joseph Berninger 
       Marshals: Joseph Vogel, Jr.
       Caspar Gilbert





  Page 100                                                                   ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                    1863-1938


Committee of 1881
Edward Frauenheim Joseph Vogel, Sr.
Henry Freker Charles Schiffhauer
Jacob Scholl Joseph Berninger
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1882
Joseph Vogel, Sr. Henry Freker
Jacob Scholl Joseph Berninger
Peter Breker Titus Berger
Aloysius Frauenheim Leopold Vilsack
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1883
Joseph Vogel, Sr. Henry Freker
Jacob Scholl Joseph Berninger
Titus Berger Peter Breker
Aloysius Frauenheim Leopold Vilsack
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1884
Joseph Vogel, Sr. Wigbert Haeckler
Titus Berger Leopold Vilsack
Peter Breker Aloysius Frauenheim
John Hoffmann Frederick Werries
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1885
Joseph Vogel, Sr. Titus Berger
Leopold Vilsack Peter Breker
Aloysius Frauenheim John Adam Hoffmann
Frederick Werries Wigbert Haeckler
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1886
William F. Eichenlaub Bernard Gottschalk
Martin Hager Charles J. Jaegle
Peter Leisman  Michael Limbert
Joseph Vogel (Marshal) Bernard Elker
Marshals: the same



Committee of 1887
William F. Eichenlaub Bernard Elker
Bernard Gottschalk Martin Hager
Charles J. Jaegle Michael Limpert
Peter Leisman Joseph Vogel (Marshall)
Marshalls: the same

School Building Committee of
December 4, 1887
William Alex. Heyl A. Schillo
A. Frauenheim L. Kreker
P. Kerner Rev. Fr. Maurice Greck, O.M.Cap.

Committee of 1888
W. F. Eichenlaub Martin Hager
Charles J. Jaegle Peter Leisman
Rudolf Westerman Aloysius Emmerich
Joseph Elsesser Marcellus Risacher
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1889
W. F. Eichenlaub Joseph Elsesser
Martin Hager Peter Leisman
Rudolf Westerman Aloysius Emmerich
Marcellus Risacher Peter Kerner
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1890
W. F. Eichenlaub Aloysius Emmerich
Peter Kerner Titus Berger
Franz Schneiderloechner Aloysius Frauenheim
Bernard Elker Joseph Elsesser
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1891
Joseph Elsesser Peter Kerner
Titus Berger Aloysius Frauenheim
Bernard Elker Franz Schneiderloechner
Jacob Zinsmeister Anton Lackner
Marshals: Leopold Walter
Matthew Aufman






1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                        Page 101       

Committee of 1892
Peter Halli
Peter Kerner
Aloysius Frauenheim
Franz Schneiderloechner
Anton Lackner                     
Jacob Zinmeister
Bernard Elker
Joseph Elsesser

Committee of 1893
Peter Halli
Peter Kerner
Aloysius Frauenheim
Anton Lackner
Titus Berger
William Alex Heyl
Robert Fey
Bernard Elker

Committee of 1894
Peter Halli
Titus Berger
Aloysius Frauenheim
Peter Kerner
Robert Fey
Anton Lackner
Jacob Scholl
John Fink
Marshalls:
Geo. Zerr
Joseph Rhein

Committee of 1895
Peter Halli
Titus Berger
Aloysius Frauenheim
Peter Kerner
Robert Fey
Anton Lackner
John Fink
Andreas Stehle
Marshalls:
George Zerr
Joseph Rhein

Committee of 1896
Peter Halli
Titus Berger
Aloysius Frauenheim
Peter Kerner
Anton Lackner
John Fink
Robert Fey
Andreas Stehle
Marshall: the same

Committee of 1897
Peter Halli
Titus Berger
Aloysius Frauenheim
Peter Kerner
Anton Lackner
John Fink
Robert Fey    
Andreas Stehle
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1898
Peter Halli
Aloysius Frauenheim
P. Kerner
A. Lackner
Robert Fey
John Fink
John Wirth
Marshalls: the same
(Mr. Rhein was sworn in
as a special police officer)


Committee of 1899
Aloysius Frauenheim
P. Halli
J. Fink
P. Kerner
Robert Fey
Frank Eichenlaub
A. Lackner
Joseph Irlbacher
Marshalls: the same

Committee of 1900-1902
A. Frauenheim (Died January 11, 1900)
P. A. Halli
J. Fink
Robert Fey
P. Kerner
Joseph Irlbacher
A. Lackner
Frank Eichenlaub

Committee of 1902
P. A. Halli
Joseph Frauenhein
P. Kerner
Robert Fey
Joseph Irlbacher
A. Lackner
Frank Eichenlaub
John Fink

Committee of 1903-1906
P. A. Halli
Joseph Frauenhein
P. Kerner
Robert Fey
Joseph Irlbacher
A. Lackner
Frank Eichenlaub
John Fink
Philip J. Scholl
John J. Noullet





""





1863-1938                                                                 ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                      Page 103       

Committee of 1906-1909
    Peter Kerner
    P. A. Halli
    Joseph Irlbacher
    Robert Fey
    A. Lackner
    Joseph Reiman
    Philip J. Scholl
    John FInk
    John J. Noullet
    Frank Eichenlaub


Committee of 1909-1912
    Peter A. Kerner (died Jan. 18, 1909)
    A. Lackner
    Joseph Irlbacher
    Joseph H. Reiman
    P. A. Halli
    Philip J. Scholl
    John Fink
    Frank Eichenlaub
    John J. Noullet
    Robert Fey

Committee of 1912-1915
    P. Halli
    P. J. Scholl
    Joseph Irlbacher (died June 3, 1912)
    Robert Fey
    A. Lackner
    Frank X. Fuchs
    J. J. Noullet
    Joseph H. Reiman
    Lucas Dufner
    John Fink


Committee of 1915-1918
    Henry Bliss
    Robert Fey (died April 18, 1916)
    John Fink
    F. X. Fuchs
    P. A. Halli
    Charles J. Jaegle
    A. Lackner
    J. J. Noullet
    J. H. Reiman
    P. J. Scholl
    Marshall:
        August Schultz
        Lorenz Wegert


Committee of 1918-1921
    P. J. Scholl
    P. A. Halli
    Joseph C. Hungerman
    C. J.Jaegle
    F. X. Fuchs
    A. Lackner
    Amand Klein (resigned October, 1918)
    J. J. Noullet
    Joseph H. Reiman
    Mathias N. Werries
    John FInk
    Philip Polk
    Joseph Trakofler (1919)
    George Doemling (1919)
Committee of 1921-1924
 
   P. J. Scholl
    Joseph Trakofler
    George Doemling
    P. A. Halli
    M. N. Werries
    A. Lackner
    Joseph C. Hungerman
    F. X. Fuchs
    Joseph H. Reiman
    Philip Polk
    Charles J. Jaegle
    John Fink (Died December 9, 1921)
    Lawrence Fey
    Marshalls:
        Lorenz Wegert
        Gottfried Simon


Committee of 1924-1927
 
   Joseph Trakofler
    George Doemling
    Lawrence J. Fey
    M. N. Werries
    P. J. Scholl
    Edward M. Pottmyer
    P. A. Halli
    F. X. Fuchs
    George Nickel (Died October 28, 1926)
    Joseph H. Reiman
    A. Lackner
    Amand Klein
    Marshalls:
        Lorenz Wegert
        G. Simon


Committee of 1927-1930
 
   Joseph H. Reiman
    M. N. Werries
    P. J. Scholl
    E. M. Pottmyer
    A. Klein
    F. X. Fuchs
    L. J. Fey
    William Boberg
    Edward Eichenlaub
    Edward Vogel
    Louis Dadowski Sr.
    Clarence Pilgrim
    Marshals:
    Lorenz Wegert
    Gottfried Simon


Committee of 1930-1933
 
   Joseph H. Reiman
    M. N. Werries
    P. J. Scholl, Financial Secretary
    E. M. Pottmeyer (died July 10, 1930)
    Amand Klein
    F. X. Fuchs
    L. J. Fey, Recording Secretary
    William Boberg
    Edward Eichenlaub
    Edward J. Vogel
    Louis Dadowski Sr.
    Clarence A. Pilgrim
    C. R. Burlett






  Page 104                                                                   ST. AUGUSTINE'S  PARISH HISTORY                                                                   1863-1938


Committee of 1933-1936
Joseph H. Reiman
M. N. Werries, Vice Chairman
Amand Klein
F. X. Fuchs
L. J. Fey, Recording Secretary
William Boberg
Edward Eichenlaub
Edward J. Vogel
Louis Dadowski, Sr.
Clarence A. Pilgrim
C. R. Burlett
Jos. C. Hungerman
Philip J. Scholl, Financial Secretary
   (died June 15, 1935)




Committee of 1936-1939
Joseph H. Reiman
M. N. Werries, Vice Chairman
Amand Klein, (resigned 1917)
F. X. Fuchs
L. J. Fey
William Boberg (died Nov. 30, 1936)
Edward Eichenlaub
Edward J. Vogel, Financial Secretary
C. R. Burlett
Jos. T. Peoples, Recording Secretary
C. J. Kolling
George J. Bich
Frank J. Dufner, (January, 1937)
Paul J. Lakits (January, 1918)



""





On to "St. Augustine's Parochial School" . . .


To contribute information to this website, please send Email to the address
listed on my "HOME PAGE" (link) below.
In your "Subject" line please indicate the nature of your contribution. Thank you!
Please use your BACK key to return to your previous page, or select a link below.
Back To Table of Contents

Back To Home Page

Disclaimer