ber 23, 1886. Her Religious life was
spent in a successful career as teacher in many schools, where
thousands of Catholic children have learned to love her and to profit
of her salutary counsels. (St.
Augustinus, January, 1916, p. 10.)
examinations were introduced into St. Augustine's School in 1876
and on June 25, 1876, the parents of the pupils were invited by public
announcement in church to attend these examinations on Friday, June
30th, 1876. A similar announcement was made on June 23, 1878. How long
these public examinations were continued, cannot be ascertained. On
June, 1909, an exhibit of the school
work of St. Augustine's School was opened in the school hall for
public inspection: drawings, paintings, and compositions made by the
pupils were to be seen. At the same time the pupils gave musical
recitals to exhibit their mastery in vocal culture. This exhibit proved
a great attraction not only to the parishioners but also to outsiders.
Sisters of various parochial schools led their pupils to this exhibit;
teachers of the public schools came with their pupils to inspect the
work done at St. Augustine's; some of them were amazed at the skillful
work done and expressed their sentiments candidly that they never would
have thought Catholic children capable of such achievements. The Rev.
Father Superintendent of the Diocesan parochial schools and a
superintendent of a neighboring public school and some pastors were
also numbered among the visitors on the day of opening. Similar crowds
of teachers and pupils of the public and parochial schools were to be
seen at the exhibit during the following days, and they were no less
lavish in their praise of the work which was exhibited. Overjoyed the
pastor wrote in the St. Augustinus:
past year and as a reward
have shed lustre on the parish and the school."(12)
St. Augustine's School took part in the Diocesan Spelling Contest
instituted in May, 1928, by various parochial schools of the diocese of
Pittsburgh. One hundred and twenty schools had registered for the
opening test with 240 contestants. After hours of spelling the majority
stood yet in a solid phalanx. To eliminate the greater number of
contestants, district contests were arranged. This reduced the number
to 65 contestants. On May 4, 1928, the final test was made and 54
children stood the test. One of these lucky 54 winners was Ralph Lucko
of St. Augustine's School (eighth grade). The other contestant, Barbara
Grimm, also of the eighth grade of St. Augustine's School, stood her
ground in the first general contest, but failed later in the district
contest. The pupils and teachers of St. Augustine's School felt highly
elated over this success. In the national contest which followed
immediately after the final Diocesan Contest, Ralph Lusko stumbled over
the word "cauliflower" and Barbara Grimm over the word "tyrant." The
three months of preparation for the final contest were certainly days
of excitement and spelling had been in style all the while.(13)
Extra-curricular exercises were also the regularly
recurring dramatic plays staged by the pupils of St. Augustine's
School. One of the means of raising funds for the school. church and
other charitable purposes was the staging of plays by the pupils. On
December 26, 1867, a Christmas Festival was held for the benefit of the
school and the church which netted $176. The pupils of St. Augustine's
School undoubtedly had a part in the program. Another venture into
theatricals took place on July 1, 1868, when a play was staged for the
benefit of the school under the direction of teacher Stephen Schmidt.
It was repeated the following day but proved a financial failure owing
to the unreasonable demands of the director Schmidt. On July 1, 1878,
the pupils of St. Augustine's School staged six short plays, four
German and two English, with musical interludes. Among the girls who
took part in the first English play, entitled The Rainbow, we find Miss Bertha
Fuehrer who found her vocation in these theatrical attempts and today
is still teaching vocal culture with youthful zeal. Another star player
who took part in this dramatic practice was Miss Netty Vilsack, now
Mrs. Edward Frauenheim of 5881 Marlborough Avenue. These girls were to
appear on the stage at St. Augustine's for many years later
(12) St. Augustinus, June,
1909, p. 9, and August, 1923, p. 123, December, 1923, p. 197.
(13) St. Augustinus, May,
1928, p. 95.
praised the building at a value of
$50,000, we would have to find means and ways to pay annually from $600
to $700 in taxes. The only way to escape taxation according to the
judgment of several lawyers is to make the school a free institution by
not collecting any school money. A number of plans had been under
consideration, to find ways to make up for the loss of the school
money; finally the following plan was adopted: The 9 o'clock Mass on
Sundays is reserved exclusively for the school children. The latter
shall pay then a monthly pew-rent of fifty cents beginning with April
1st. Parents will not be burdened more than before by this arrangement,
because no school money will be charged nor even accepted, if offered
voluntarily. Details of this method will be imparted to the pupils.
Parents who still owe some school money, may send back payments to the
Sisters' house and not to the school."
With this new arrangement the separate school fund
was abolished and the teachers were freed from the burden of collecting
the school money; the men serving on the church committee had to look
after this affair. On September 8, 1889, the following regulations were
announced in church:
"In order to maintain our school
properly, every child who attends our school is expected to pay a
monthly pew-rent of fifty cents. In case that three or more children of
the same family attend our school, every third child is free of
pew-rent or school money. Children of the poorer class who were
exempted last year from paying pew-rent, are no longer exempt till the
parents report their inability of paying such pew-rent or school money.
We have all possible indulgence with families who are really poor. But
there are too many parents who try to escape this burden of paying
their dues. There are still $343.75 overdue from the old school and
$173.25 from the new school, i.e. a total of $517."
The number of poor children who were exempt from
paying school money were always considerable and such poor children
received also the school-books gratis.
The new method of collecting school money from the
pupils was as ineffective as the old one. On January 5, 1896, the
pastor announced in church that only 380 out of the 630 to 640 pupils
pay their pew-rent or school money. To make up the deficits of the
school money the pastors resorted to various methods of rousing the
interest of parishioners who had no children at school in the noble
work of supporting the parochial school. In the St. Augustinus
of March, 1906, the
pastor, Joseph Anthony Ziegelmayer, wrote these words:
"The late Mrs. Catherine Happ (died
February 11, 1900) willed two hundred dollars to use the interest for
buying books for the poor school children. The St. Augustine's Casino
pays every month the school money for ten poor children. Since January
1, 1906, a parishioner, father of a family, pays every month the school
money for a poor child This man is the only person who knows his duty
to contribute towards the maintenance of the parochial school. If every
other family would contribute only fifty cents every month towards that
purpose, our parochial school could be made a free institution and
could, moreover, supply poor children with the necessary books. At
least the ball is rolling and the free parochial school will soon be a
reality. With this number the St.
Augustinus will begin to have a list of all donations to the
school printed every month. May this list grow with every month, then
'good-bye' monthly collection and three cheers on the Free Parochial
The first list of contributions lists only $5.50. In
April the contributions increased to $9.00 and in May decreased to
$6.00; in June the collection amounted to $18.50, and in July and
August to $5.50. Finally the incoming pastor, Agatho Rolfe, announced
on August 26, 1906, in church that St. Augustine's School shall be in
future a free school for all children of the parish. And in the St. Augustinus
of September, 1906,
Fr. Agatho wrote (p. 1-2):
"The St. Augustinus since its existence
has never carried a more pleasing message than the news of the Free
School. The burden which the father of a large family had to shoulder
up to now singly will be placed in future upon the shoulders of all
parishioners. Every Catholic, he may have children or no children, he
may be married or single, is obliged to contribute to the support of
the Catholic school just as much as to the support of the church. The
monthly collection in future will be taken up for the support of the
school; if this collection should not cover expenses, the church must
supply the deficit from her funds. With this new arrangement our parish
is raised into the category of a First-Class Parish which supplies
gratis everything which is necessary for the spiritual welfare of the
parishioners. Just as everyone, he may be rich or poor, has free access
to the church, in no other way the children of our parish shall have
free access to the school, and every parishioner shall consider it an
honor to contribute towards the maintenance of the school by liberal
donation to the monthly collection. We need four hundred dollars every
month to maintain the school. This is surely a small sum for such a
large congregation. Almost all Catholic English schools are free
institutions and some smaller and poorer German congregations like the
parishes of Herman, Pa., Dover, Ohio, Charleston, W. Va.. and others
conduct free Catholic schools. If these smaller and poorer
congregations were able for the past years to keep free schools de-
spite heavy debts, the St. Augustine's
parish can surely do likewise. We have to remove the pretext used by
lukewarm and negligent parents to palliate sending their children to
the public schools. 'I am not able to pay school money,' is one of the
pretexts advanced oftenest and many times without reason. To avoid
misunderstandings we remark here that the pupils of the academy have to
pay in future just as well as in the past, that children of other
parishes who want to attend our school have to pay school money, and
that no free text-books can be introduced for the present."
The monthly church collection for the support of the
school never came up to the expectation of the pastors. Month after
month the St. Augustinus
carried the relatively few names of the donors. Finally on July 5,
1912, this collection was abolished, because the church was freed from
all debts at that date. The pastor, Fr. Ignatius Weisbruch, wrote in
the July number of the St.
of 1912 (p. 8) the following words to explain the
parishioners did not contribute to the monthly collection, the burden
lay upon the shoulders of a small number of parishioners and this
inequality increased with the years, although by rights the
parishioners should be more equally taxed. The fact that St.
Augustine's Church is now free of all debts, does not free the
parishioners from their obligation to contribute to the support of
church and school, on Sundays by throwing a mite into the Sunday
collection and otherwise by paying their pew-rent."(14)
The pupils of the Academy and the Commercial Classes
were never exempted from paying tuition. At first such pupils were
charged one dollar a month. In July, 1922, the fees were raised so that
children of pew-holders in St. Augustine's Church were charged $1.50 a
month and children of others were charged $3.00 a month. However, the
following year tuition for outsiders was raised to $4.00 a month. In
the January number of the St.
of 1924 the Rev. Pastor Fr. Philip Knupfer wrote:
"We have a Free
School i.e. the children of pewholders are exempt from paying tuition;
yet the revenue cleared from the school last year was $1,859.55, or
more than half the salary paid to the twelve Sisters who teach in our
school. This balance is obtained principally from the tuition fee paid
by the large number of pupils of the Commercial School who come from
other parishes and pay four dollars a month."
Yet many of the applicants from other parishes had
to be refused. In the September number of the St. Augustinus
of 1923 the Rev.
Pastor Philip Knupfer writes:
"Our school is
filled to its utmost seating capacity. A number of families of this
district have affiliated with our parish principally for the purpose of
sending their children to our school. We have repeatedly stated that
our school is second to none in this territory and we have no reasons
for changing our mind. This high rating is naturally due to the
teaching Sisters who have charge of the school. By September 13 (1923)
as many as 665 pupils were enrolled. We had to refuse 43 applicants for
our Commercial Class due to a lack of accommodations."
In the September number of the St. Augustinus of
1924 the Rev. Pastor Philip Knupfer published the following note:
"On September 5th
(1924) 635 pupils were enrolled in our school. Last year we employed
three teachers and kept three rooms for the Commercial Classes, and
nine Sisters and nine rooms for the grades. This year, however, we
employ ten Sisters for ten rooms of the grades and only two for two
rooms of the Commercial Department. We made this change, because the
rooms of the grades were overcrowded. Many children from other parishes
applied for admission to our Commercial Department and we admitted as
many as we conveniently could accommodate. We feel sorry that we are
constrained to refuse so many applicants; yet we cannot inconvenience
the children of St. Augustine's Parish, in order to serve outsiders.
Our motto is: St. Augustine's first and last."
In September, 1926, the incoming pastor, Fr. Gilbert
Stickelmeier, opened again three rooms of the Commercial Classes to
provide "ample room for all"; he kept them open during the 1927-1928
terms. Yet in September, 1928, the two Commercial Classes were
re-established and a "number of applicants were turned away for lack of
rooms and teachers." This arrangement was kept up during the two
following years. When in 1931 the Rt. Rev. Bishop Hugh Boyle commanded
that the High School boys attending the Commercial Classes must in
future attend the Central Catholic High School conducted by the
Christian Brothers, St. Augustine's Commercial School had to be closed.
(14) St. Augustinus
1906, p. 8, April, 1906, p. 8, May, 1906, p. 16, June, 1906, p. 16,
July, 1906, p. 16, August, 1906 p. 16, September, 1906. pp. 1-2. 8,
October, 1906, pp. 5. 12, November, 1908, p. 8, July, 1912, p. 8, 1923,
pp. 123, 129, 1925, pp. 34, 66, 172, 175, 1926, p. 73, 1927, p. 224.
See: February, 1922, p. 11, March, 1922, p. 10, 1925, pp. 130-131.
Yet on June 20, 1931, the Rt. Rev. Bishop granted permission to open a
regular Four Years' High School Course for the girls
. This course is still
kept up (1938).(15)
The principal teacher of St. Augustine's School
received $30 monthly as salary from 1862 to 1868 and later. Besides he
received a salary as organist and sexton. In 1860 the teacher received
free lodgings and part of his board was paid by the Congregation. The
monthly salary of the organist was fixed at $13 monthly in 1862 but was
raised gradually to $16.16 monthly, $21 monthly and finally to $25
monthly. In January, 1864, the annual salary of the teacher was fixed
at $40 per annum. Apparently some of the teachers had besides also free
The principal teachers who received the salary of
$30 monthly besides the salary of organist and sexton were John Kraus,
Joseph Nigel and Karl Spiro. The next teacher, Joseph Zimmerman, drew a
monthly salary of $33.66 as teacher-principal teacher in 1865. In 1864
the first assistant teachers were engaged: Mr. Joseph Nigel and Miss
Elizabeth Fillinger, the first with a monthly salary of $21.67 and the
latter with a monthly salary of $16.66. When Mr. Kraus left in October,
1864, Mr. Joseph Nigel succeeded him with the monthly salary of $30.00.
In February, 1865, the assistant teacher, Leopold Nigel, was engaged
with a monthly salary of $25, and in May following the salary of the
assistant teacher, Miss Elizabeth Fillinger, was raised to $17.00
monthly and in August of the same year to $20 monthly. In April, 1866,
the salary of the assistant teacher, Miss Fillinger, was again raised
to $22.00 monthly and in August of the same year to $25 monthly. She
was placed on equal footing with the principal teacher, Leopold Nigel,
who never received more than $25 as principal teacher in 1866 and up to
June of 1867. In April, 1867, Miss Fillinger became the principal with
a salary of $30.00; her two assistant teachers, Mr. Leopold Nigel and
Mr. J. Boegle, received a monthly salary of $25.00. In October, 1867,
teacher Stephen Schmidt was hired with a salary of $28 monthly. His
successor teacher, John Trimberger, received a salary of $25 as
principal from 1871 to 1874. The first three Franciscan Sisters
received in 1874 a monthly salary of $50.00, i.e. $16.66 each.(16)
The revenues of the school were slender during the
first years. The collection of the monthly fifty cents of school money
amounted from January 1, 1863 till January 1, 1864 (not including that
of October, 1863) to the sum of $480.59; the expenses amounted to the
sum of $478.09. Besides a few small items as coal, etc., the by far
largest expense item was the salary of the teacher.
The pupils contributed also voluntary offerings to
the school fund besides their tuition, from November, 1862, till
September, 1863, these voluntary contributions amounted to $28.17, i.e.
on average, $2.56 a month. These small offerings were entered
separately; usually these contributions consisted of one or two cents.
This custom was apparently introduced for the purpose to teach the
children from their very youth the obligation of supporting the church
and school. In January, 1864, Mr. Nicholas Winter made a donation of
five dollars to the school fund. Yet the most liberal donor has always
been the church. On January 29, 1864, the church paid into the school
fund $8.33, in March, 1864, again $66.66, and in May, 1864, again
$3.33. In 1874 the church paid $20.00 into the school fund. These are
only a few stray items which are recorded in the first school record;
complete financial records have not come down to us.(17)
The school records from 1869 to 1889 have not come
down to us. The five and six dollars annual school money collected from
the pupils paid the salary of the teachers and incidental expenses in
1878-1881, 1883-1885, 1887 and 1888, so that sometimes a notable
balance was left over. From 1874 till 1888 the church paid into the
school fund $801.40, and received from the school, $1,424.31. Certainly
the expenses for purchase of property, building and repairs of
(15) St. Augustinus
1922, p. 8, 1923, p. 145, 1924, pp. 9, 196-197, 1926. p. 1S2, 1927, p.
176, 1928, p. 168, 1929, p. 168, 1930, p. 165. 1931, p. 107.
(16) St. Augustinus
1922, p. 4, July, 1922, p. 3, August, 1922, p. 3, September, 1922, p.
3, November, 1922, p. 2, April, 1923 p. 50.
(17) St. Augustinus
1922, p. 10, May, 1923, p. 65. First
, 1862-1868. MS.
the school building and Sisters' residence or convent are not counted
in those figures. The children's pew rent introduced on April 1, 1889,
paid the salary of the teachers. From April 1, 1899, to December 31,
1899, the children's pew rent amounted to $1,157, falling to $183 short
of the actual amount of the teachers' salary for that period. With the
year 1890 the children's pew rent began to exceed the teachers' salary
somewhat. The children's pew rent in 1890 amounted to $2,058 and the
salary to $2,000. In 1905 the children's pew rent amounted to $2,471,
an excess of $71 over the salary paid to the teaching Sisters. In 1906
the children's pew rent up to August 26th, when it was abolished,
amounted to $1,804, i.e. $596 less than the full salary of the teaching
Sisters ($2,400).(18) Up to the year 1888 the financial reports of the
church exclude the revenues of the school and the expenses for the
maintenance of the school. The teachers' salary is mentioned only three
times when the church paid part of it from the church funds (in 1822,
$136.50; in 1886, $235; in 1887, $345). Accordingly we have to add to
the sum total of church revenues also at least $35,000 revenues from
the school fund from 1862 to 1888.
St. Augustine's school has kept it's high level of efficiency in the
past and it is grounded hope that this standard will not be lowered in
the future. The rooms have been filled to their utmost capacity and we
may presuppose that similar crowds will succeed them in years to come.
We append the list of the pupils who had been enrolled into St.
Augustine's School in September, 1938.
LIST OF NAMES OF CHILDREN WHO ATTENDED
SCHOOL IN 1938 - 1939
Brosky, Mary Ann
Cassidy, Mary Elizabeth
(18) St. Augustinus, 1923, pp. 83, 107, 118, 153-154, 194; 1924, pp.
15, 49, 80, 127, 152, 153, 195, 242-243; 1925, p. 46, 65, 146, 192,
213; 1926, p. 47, 1906, January, p. 1, 1907, January, p. 1.
Dubas, Mary Ann
Fitzpatrick, La Verne
Herbert, Rose Marie
Ignosh, John Paul
Killian, Rose M.
Korzypska. Anna May
Krebs, La Verne
Maloney, Mary Jane
Mikszan, Anna Mae
Miller, Rose Marie
Mull, Dorothy Mae
|Rotella, Rose Marie
Scarola, Rose M.
Schmidt. Rose M.
Schultz, Betty Jane
Stadelman, Mary L.
Staudt, Rose M.
Stierer, Mary R.
Tkac, Mary Anna
|Varasse, La Verne
Wolff , William
GIRLS FROM SAINT AUGUSTINE'S WHO HAVE
LIST OF NAMES OF YOUNG LADIES OF ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH, PITTSBURGH,
PA., WHO JOINED THE COMMUNITY OF SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS OF THE DIOCESE
OF PITTSBURGH, PA., AT THE MOTHERHOUSE AT MlLLVALE, PA.
Sister M. Paul (Miss Catherine Becker) entered March 25, 1884, died
December 13, 1904.
Sister M. Georgiana (Miss Rose Raab) entered March 19, 1890.
Sister M. Mathilda (Miss Cunigunda Zeus) entered October 4, 1890.
Sister M. Gonzaga (Miss Frances Young) entered November 1, 1891,
died November 26, 1902.
(Miss Elizabeth Becker) entered October 4, 1892, died as Postulant
March 9, 1893.
Sister M. Euphrosina (Miss Margaret Hufnagel) entered October 4, 1893.
Sister M. Pauline (Miss Josephine Hufnagel) entered October 4, 1893,
died May 22, 1907.
Sister M. Rosine (Miss Catherine Glauber) entered January 6, 1895, died
December 5, 1903.
Sister M. Ernestine (Miss Sophia Luebbe) entered March 19, 1895, died
March 21, 1903.
Sister M. Clotilda (Miss Anna Fischer) entered
December 8, 1896.
Sister M. Beata (Miss Mary Kempen) entered January 6, 1898.
Sister M. Aurelia (Miss Magdalen Arenth) entered September 8, 1898.
Sister M. Mildred (Miss Anna Helbling) entered October 4,
Sister M. Inez (Miss Amelia Orth) entered October 4, 1898, died as
Novice August 8, 1900.
Sister M. Domitilla (Miss Louise Schwartz) entered December 8, 1900 (a
Sister M. De Lelis (Miss Margaret Litz) entered December 8,
Sister M. Seraphica (Miss Elizabeth Hess) entered December 8,
Sister M. Clement (Miss Alary Schmitt) entered January 1,
1908, died September 10, 1912.
Sister M. Aquin (Miss Clementine Steinkirchner) entered August 15, 1909.
Sister M. Clement (Miss Clara Fey) entered March 25, 1912.
Sister M. Demetria (Miss Frances Leufoel) entered December 8, 1912.
Sister M. Irma (Miss Margaret Koeber) entered June 7, 1918.
Sister M. Cecilia Agnes (Miss Hilda Koebert) entered January 9. 1920.
Sister M. Bertram (Miss Hilda Freund) entered September 8, 1921.
Sister Rose Mary (Miss Bertha Pensaleck) entered January 20, 1922.
Sister M. Neri (Miss Helen Andresco) entered December 8, 1922, died
January 8, 1931.
Sister M. Ernestine (Miss Theresa Nemeth) entered December 8, 1922.
Sister M. Salesia (Miss Ludmilla Jalovecky) entered July 2, 1924.
Sister M. Floretta (Miss Frances Fuchs) entered August 15, 1924.
Sister M. Claudia (Miss Mercedes Freund) entered September 8, 1924.
Sister M. Elfreda (Miss Sabina Jalovecky) entered January 6, 1926.
Sister M. Gilbert (Miss Frances Stagner) entered July 16, 1926.
Sister M. Annetta (Miss Edna Brown) entered July 16, 1926.
Sister M. Lorraine (Miss Phyllis Jalovecky) entered September 7, 1930.
Sister M. Howard (Miss Edna F. Kalchthaler) entered September 7, 1930.
Sister Barbara Mary (Miss Catherine Habovsek) entered September 8, 1931.
SISTERS OF DIVINE PROVIDENCE FROM ST.
Sister M. Vincent (Miss Mathilda Noullet) entered September 8, 1893.
Sister M. Julitta (Miss Martha Noullet) entered July 2, 1900.
Sister M. Hedwig (Miss Agnes Hausschmidt) entered October 15, 1901.
Sister M. Melania (Miss Minnie Heil) entered March 19, 1904.
SISTERS OF CHARITY (Greensburg, Pa.)
FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Hildegard (Miss Clementine Eichenlaub) entered January 1,
Sister Marie Baptista (Miss Olive Vandergrift) entered March 25, 1917.
Sister M. Teresita (Miss Irene Coleman) entered December 8, 1918.
SISTERS OF NOTRE DAME
(Baltimore) FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Evangelists Meyer, entered July 6, 1860, elected Mother
September 8, 1898, died August 13, 1909. She did not belong to St.
Augustine's Parish but her father Joseph Meyer lived in St. Augustine's
Parish from about 1868 to his death on November 4, 1881, and her sister
Mrs. Edward Frauenheim lived in St. Augustine's Parish from about 1868
till her death on November 22, 1904.
Sister M. Leonardine (Miss Bertha Saenge) entered August 21, 1888 and
died April 8, 1925.
Sister M. Theodolinda (Miss Theresa Greenewald) entered May 16, 1912.
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS (Stella
Niagara, N.Y.) FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Boniface (Aliss Theresa Hufnagel) entered May 6, 1916.
Sister M. Benecita (Miss Amanda Fasel) entered September 29, 1917.
Sister M. Narcissa (Miss Caroline Evrard) entered September 29, 1917,
died December 21, 1918.
Sister M. Raymond (Miss Stella Helbling) probably of St. Augustine's.
Sister M. Ernesta (Miss Alma S. Meridan) probably of St. Augustine's.
SISTERS OF THE POOR OF ST. FRANCIS
(Hartwell, 0.) FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Arimathea (Miss Philomena Klein) entered May 6, 1878, died
March 1, 1928.
Sister M. Gaudentia (Miss Barbara Vogel) entered August 29, 1879, died
August 2, 1931.
Sister M. Ivo (Miss Margaret Dietrich) entered November 12, 1880, died
April 20, 1886.
Sister M. Dosithea (Miss Magdalen Klein) entered October 28, 1881, died
April 10, 1919.
Sister M. Generosa (Miss Mary Vogel) entered May 11, 1881.
Sister Juliana (Miss Marcella Vogel) entered February 3, 1920.
SISTERS OF MERCY (Pittsburgh,
Pa.) FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Hieronyma (Miss Catherine Estella McCaffrey) entered December
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS (Glen Riddle,
Pa.) FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Zacharia (Miss Margaret Dietz) now stationed at Towson,
Sister M. Claretta (Miss Bertha Christ) now stationed at 1850 North
Croskey St., Philadelphia.
URSULINE SISTERS (at Winebiddle Ave.,
Pittsburgh, Pa.) FROM ST. AUGUSTINE'S PARISH
Sister M. Catherine (Miss Helen Vulmanic) entered August 15, 1935.
Miss Rose Jacobs who taught in 1863-1864 two full terms in St.
Augustine's school joined the Charity Sisters in Cincinnati receiving
the name of Sister M. Augustine
be had about her.
On July 10, 1877 a Requiem High Mass was celebrated in St. Augustine's
Church for the repose of Sister M.
who apparently was also a child of St.
On December 11, 1878, a Requiem High Mass was chanted in St.
Augustine's Church for the repose of Sister
, formerly Miss Catherine Kloetzle, who shortly
before had died in St. Louis, Mo. Apparently this Sister was also at
one time a parishioner of St. Augustine's but unfortunately no
particulars could be obtained about her.