Memorial Day, 1939
Valley Volunteer Fire
O'Hara Township, PA
Every year on Memorial Day, the Pleasant Valley Fire Department would
have a parade starting from Sharpsburg and proceeding up the hill of
Kittanning Pike. They would accompany the remaining Civil War
Veterans to the Civil War Memorial at Greenwood Cemetery. There
would be a ceremony for the fallen veterans of that war. The
ceremony, of course, became a tribute to other wars the US soldiers had
fought in. Helen Ferber, the daughter of cemetery caretaker
Albert Ferber, moved with her family into the Greenwood Cemetery house
in 1921 on her 6th birthday. She remembered the veterans and the
rest of the parade walking up the hill of the “Pike”. But as the
years proceeded, more and more veterans would have to be driven by car
to the cemetery.
Many of the last veterans to participate in these years of the 1920s
were men who had signed up during the last 2 years of the Civil War and
were only teenagers at the time they joined.
This photo is the Pleasant Valley Fire Department and its Ladies
Auxiliary, taken on Memorial Day 1939. The last Civil War veteran
interred in Greenwood was David H. Lindsay, who passed away on August
7, 1933. Born in East Liberty in 1845, he was recovering from
illness in Washington at the end of the war and happened to be in
Ford’s Theater the night Abraham Lincoln was shot. The family
tradition is that he knew the 4 men who carried Lincoln to the house
across the street from the theater, where he died. David died in
Allison Park and is interred near the Civil War Memorial.
kneeling in the center of the front row of the photo was George Weir,
the head of the fire department. He died in a fire in his home on
Kittanning Pike in February of 1940 when he investigated smoke in the
house and became trapped in the basement. The house was destroyed
and his wife permanently crippled when she leaped from a second story
window to escape the flames.
Greenwood Cemetery Entrance
view of the gates dedicated to Greenwood Cemetery (photographed) by
Mrs. Ida K Mulholland Ford, the widow of the Honorable Thomas J. Ford
of Aspinwall. Judge Ford was born in Cincinnati Ohio and admitted
to the bar in 1880 while living in Etna with his mother and step-father
Charles Frayer. He was a member of the PA House of
Representatives from 1898 to 1903. He then served as a judge in
Allegheny County at the Court of Common Pleas. He died on
December 3, 1930 and is interred in Greenwood’s Section 4.
©2010, Diane Nichols, Historian
for Greenwood Cemetery, email@example.com
The iron bars have long since been
removed, but the pillars still stand at the entrance to Greenwood.
Please use your BACK key
to return to the page that brought you here.